PDA

View Full Version : Charlie Batch just gave the FO a really tough decision

Pristas
08-31-2012, 07:14 AM
That man played lights out last night. Every pass was on target, or damn near it. Pope probably got himself cut for dropping what were sure first downs. But some of his deep balls were just amazing, especially that TD to Sanders. And I love the touch he put on the ball when he threw a little lob pass out to the sideline for Saunders. He seriously had ice running through his veins. Great job Batch! I hope you make the team one more time!

GBMelBlount
08-31-2012, 07:40 AM
I agree. I loved his intensity and desire. He bleeds black and gold and proved to me he wants this just as bad as any rookie out there.

Go Charlie!

86WARD
08-31-2012, 08:54 AM
Pope isn't there for his hands.

Still don't think Batch should be on this roster...

Austin87
08-31-2012, 09:10 AM
I hope Charlie makes the team.

bayz101
08-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Batch did nothing to show us he SHOULDN'T be on the roster at this point, but neither did Jerrod Johnson. It'll be nearly impossible to keep just four, or three, at this point.

GodfatherofSoul
08-31-2012, 09:35 AM
Leftwich might be a better QB, but not durable. Batch has had his problems w/ injury, but I trust him more. At this point I'd go Batch Johnson for upside. We've got to be prepared for the eventuality that we won't have either of our two vet backups on the roster any more.

GBMelBlount
08-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Leftwich might be a better QB, but not durable. Batch has had his problems w/ injury, but I trust him more. At this point I'd go Batch Johnson for upside. We've got to be prepared for the eventuality that we won't have either of our two vet backups on the roster any more.

HA.

Just what I have been thinking about too...

I am just not a big fan of lefty and I am not sure I trust him in the clutch.

Any way you look at it I think it is a tough decision for the FO.

GodfatherofSoul
08-31-2012, 10:42 AM
Yeah, if Charlie gets cut that's probably the end of his career. Leftwich won't have a ton of options and might be de facto retired as well. It'll be a sad day if it comes to that. Kind of like Cooley getting cut from the Redskins.

Chidi29
08-31-2012, 11:37 AM
Pope shouldn't be cut. Going to need 3 TEs until Saunders gets back. And even when that happens, Paulson will probably be moved. At leaat Pope can take up space as a blocker which is really all we'll ask out of our #2 TE.

Steeldude
08-31-2012, 12:35 PM
That man played lights out last night. Every pass was on target, or damn near it. Pope probably got himself cut for dropping what were sure first downs. But some of his deep balls were just amazing, especially that TD to Sanders. And I love the touch he put on the ball when he threw a little lob pass out to the sideline for Saunders. He seriously had ice running through his veins. Great job Batch! I hope you make the team one more time!

What's the tough decision? I am almost 100% certain Batch's job was safe before this game.

steelreserve
08-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Regardless, the fundamental issue is the same: If Ben is injured for a game or two, the team as a whole can probably make it through that. If he's injured for any significant time or for the postseason, we're fucked.

Polamalu Princess
08-31-2012, 12:56 PM
I think Batch is a keeper. He played his heart out last night - good job Batch.

86WARD
08-31-2012, 01:05 PM
Pope shouldn't be cut. Going to need 3 TEs until Saunders gets back. And even when that happens, Paulson will probably be moved. At leaat Pope can take up space as a blocker which is really all we'll ask out of our #2 TE.

Agree!

Godfather
08-31-2012, 03:01 PM
I can see a Jake Taylor/Major League II playing out. Johnson doesn't see a red tag in his locker. Batch tells Tomlin "Going with four quarterbacks is a bold move"...

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:31 PM
Steelers kept Charlie Batch

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot

HollywoodSteel
08-31-2012, 03:33 PM

I don't understand the point of a TE who can't catch. Wouldn't we be better off using an O-lineman then?

Craic
08-31-2012, 03:42 PM

Wait a second - Lefty isn't durable, compared to Batch? Are you kidding me? Now, I give you that Lefty is injury quite a bit. But Batch? That's not such an upgrade on the injury front.

Batch Injury list

1999 - Missed Playoff game due to injury.
2000 - Knee Injury: surgery. Also, bruised ribs after comeback that hindered performance. Week 17, left game due to shoulder injury.
2001 - injured only played 9 games
2004 - Knee injury: missed season (as a backup)
2008 - Broken collar bone in preseason game: missed season (as a backup)
2009 - Broken Wrist: missed season (as a backup)

EDIT: Looks like they were both kept.

Pristas
08-31-2012, 04:13 PM
I don't understand the point of a TE who can't catch. Wouldn't we be better off using an O-lineman then?

Seriously man. I saw Pope take two to the chest from Batch and still drop them. And those aren't Big Ben Bullets, those are Batch Brownies. I didn't see anything in Pope worth keeping. If he can't catch, he is useless as a TE. I don't care if he can block.