PDA

View Full Version : NFL moves trade deadline back and approves new I.R rule

polamalubeast
08-30-2012, 10:45 AM
NFLPa Agreed to move trade deadline back and the new IR rule.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/241198512371560448

great news!

polamalubeast
08-30-2012, 10:46 AM
New IR rule approved by league. great news for Steelers when it comes to DeCastro. They can put him on IR for 8 weeks instead of for season

https://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/241199766577508352

polamalubeast
08-30-2012, 10:59 AM
#Steelers have to carry DeCastro on 53-man until 4pm Sept. 4. Then can move him to IR, add player to 53 from prac squad & sign new player.

https://twitter.com/hammerspeaks/status/241203036775657473

polamalubeast
08-30-2012, 11:06 AM
Only 1 player per team can be activated from IR using new 8 week rule

steelreserve
08-30-2012, 12:29 PM
Well, that solves THAT problem for us.

tube517
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
About time.

Craic
08-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Good move, NFLPA - though I don't understand the 1 player rule. If you have 5 players who can't play for the first seven weeks, why make four of them sit for the year? Seems to me that by doing so, especially if you expect them back, you expose the rest of your players to injury by making play more downs, and possibly in positions they aren't familiar with.

steelreserve
08-30-2012, 01:15 PM
Good move, NFLPA - though I don't understand the 1 player rule. If you have 5 players who can't play for the first seven weeks, why make four of them sit for the year? Seems to me that by doing so, especially if you expect them back, you expose the rest of your players to injury by making play more downs, and possibly in positions they aren't familiar with.

Probably to prevent hoarding of younger players with potential. You could theoretically have four extra guys who are "injured" and on the half-season IR list instead of being cut and having a chance to catch on with other teams. Then, just activate them midseason to replace a few guys who were injured or underperforming during the normal course of play.

One or two spots is realistic; too many and it creates an opportunity to cheat the system, and also makes a sucky situation for the guys fighting for the last few spots on the bench.

cold-hard-steel
08-30-2012, 01:17 PM
Yepper,it's called the "Decastro" rule. I like it! L.O.L.

fansince'76
08-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Or you could just "circumvent" the IR rule altogether and have those players practice anyway, like some teams do (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3408450) - not to name a particular franchise located in Massachusetts, or anything...

Craic
08-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Probably to prevent hoarding of younger players with potential. You could theoretically have four extra guys who are "injured" and on the half-season IR list instead of being cut and having a chance to catch on with other teams. Then, just activate them midseason to replace a few guys who were injured or underperforming during the normal course of play.

One or two spots is realistic; too many and it creates an opportunity to cheat the system, and also makes a sucky situation for the guys fighting for the last few spots on the bench.

That doesn't make sense to me, however, because they're still getting payed, which is the bottom line worry of the union.

Personally, I think they oughta increase the roster by 12 players and let injured players stay on it. Also fold the practice players into the roster. That way, you have 1 team, 1 roster, and once group of guys. No juggling players, no cheating the system.

ALLD
08-30-2012, 02:47 PM
That doesn't make sense to me, however, because they're still getting payed, which is the bottom line worry of the union.

Personally, I think they oughta increase the roster by 12 players and let injured players stay on it. Also fold the practice players into the roster. That way, you have 1 team, 1 roster, and once group of guys. No juggling players, no cheating the system.

Dude you are way out of line here. Too much common sense and pragmatism. You may also inflate the team payroll.

Count Steeler
08-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Or you could just "circumvent" the IR rule altogether and have those players practice anyway, like some teams do (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3408450) - not to name a particular franchise located in Massachusetts, or anything...

Why, I thought New England was as pure and clean as fresh fallen snow. The NFL doesn't even concern themselves with them because they have proven over and over how honest, noble and loyal they are.

:puke:

GodfatherofSoul
08-30-2012, 04:04 PM

So owners dont have to pay more for idling players.

HollywoodSteel
08-30-2012, 04:04 PM

Sometimes it's hard to figure out why the NFLPA takes certain positions that seem kind of arbitrary. As far as your second suggestion about increasing the roster, wouldn't it be the owners who are against that because I assume you are also suggesting increasing the salary cap and floor to pay for those players?

X-Terminator
08-30-2012, 04:56 PM
Finally, a rule change that makes sense. I never understood why teams had to be handcuffed by the old IR rule. It wasn't fair to me. But I wonder why the NFLPA had a change of heart? Last I heard, they were against both of these rules.

steelreserve
08-30-2012, 07:18 PM

The only reason the practice squad rule makes sense as-is, instead of folding them into the roster, is that it gives those marginal guys more of a chance to get their break since they can sign with any team, instead of just being stuck with one team where they don't play. It seems to me that that's the NFLPA's main concern with those types of young low-round draft picks and UDFAs - give them a few chances to move around and catch on, so they don't just come into one bad situation and wind up being done with football.

IR is the opposite of that, which is why they're careful with it - teams start abusing it, and it just makes guys be stuck with one team while they don't get their chance.

SteelGhost
08-30-2012, 08:01 PM
Great news :tt02:

zulater
08-31-2012, 05:43 AM
My guess is the Steelers will cut Batch. Then they'll put DeCastro on the original 53 man roster, put him on the call back IR list, and then bring back Batch.

The Duke
08-31-2012, 12:27 PM
My guess is the Steelers will cut Batch. Then they'll put DeCastro on the original 53 man roster, put him on the call back IR list, and then bring back Batch.

makes sense!

didn't they do something similar with Leftwich? During Ben's suspension?