PDA

View Full Version : Steelers defense wants to be ‘legendary’

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 01:16 PM
In separate interviews Monday, both Clark and Troy Polamalu mentioned how the Steelers have been frustrated at not being able to play up to the level of the 2008 defense, which was Steel Curtain-like in its dominance despite taking on one of the toughest schedules of any Super Bowl winner.

To Polamalu and Clark, that is the standard.

“I don’t remember that defense doing much wrong,” Clark said. “But last year’s defense, even though we were No. 1, it didn’t look like that and that’s what we are striving for.”

“We could run the same defense 10 times and change positions and make it 10 different defenses to a quarterback,” Polamalu said.

This defense’s development is being overlooked in part due to all the scrutiny of new coordinator Todd Haley’s offense. But defensive coordinator - LeBeau is designing some new gimmicks too, his players say, even as outside linebacker Chris Carter, nose tackle Steve McLendon, cornerback Keenan Lewis and nickel back Cortez Allen all see their roles expand greatly.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2482300-85/defense-steelers-clark-polamalu-season-able-carter-guys-standard-expect#ixzz24rHG0kOn

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2012, 01:52 PM
oh boy was that a thing of beauty to watch. I cant recall any other season where my eyes would actually light up in anticipation when our defense was on the field, rather than the offense.

HollywoodSteel
08-28-2012, 02:20 PM
So does my Johnson but I fear the best years might be behind both of them.

fansince'76
08-28-2012, 02:27 PM
In separate interviews Monday, both Clark and Troy Polamalu mentioned how the Steelers have been frustrated at not being able to play up to the level of the 2008 defense, which was Steel Curtain-like in its dominance despite taking on one of the toughest schedules of any Super Bowl winner.

See "Concussion Sunday" during the fall of 2010 and its repercussions ever since as a big reason why...

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Stay healthy, healthy and healthy.