PDA

View Full Version : Wallace arrives at Steelers' facility

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 10:46 AM
Mike Wallace can run a 40-yard dash in 4.33 seconds. Even with all that speed, it took him 35 days to get to Pittsburgh.

Wallace arrived at the Steelers practice complex on Tuesday morning, his training camp holdout finally over - and less than two weeks before the Steelers open the season in Denver. By waiting until now to report, Wallace assured himself of missing all of the team's preseason work.

One of the NFL's fastest players can't be on the field - even in practice - until the Steelers return from a weekend break.

The Steelers finish up their preseason schedule Thursday against Carolina but, because of NFL labor agreement restrictions, the wide receiver cannot practice for three days. Because the team won't work out Friday, Saturday or Sunday, Wallace won't take part in his first official practice until Monday, which is Labor Day.

Wallace still must meet with the team's medical staff - he has been working out with conditioning expert Tom Shaw in Orlando - and finally put his signature on the $2.742 million tender he is required to sign before he can take part in any team activities. He did not receive any offers as a restricted free agent.

By showing up more than a month after the Steelers opened training camp in Latrobe on July 25, Wallace significantly narrowed the window he has to negotiate a long-term contract - or exactly what wide receiver Antonio Brown did by signing a $42.5 million deal only two days after camp opened.

Because the Steelers have a policy of not negotiating contracts during the season, Wallace and his agent, Bus Cook, will have less than a week to work out a new contract. Otherwise, Wallace will play out the season and become an unrestricted free agent.

Last-minute deals have been done by the Steelers in the past; last season, safety Troy Polamalu signed a new deal as the team was boarding a plane to Baltimore for its season-opening game.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2493650-85/wallace-season-steelers-team-practice-camp-agent-brown-catches-nfl#ixzz24r9OXotW
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

katmandu
08-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Hopefully he stopped by the bosse's office and signed a piece of paper before he got there!

86WARD
08-28-2012, 10:53 AM
Get a long term deal done yo!

suitanim
08-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Sounds like he just wanted to skip all the hard work.

I don't care. We obviously need him on the field. He helps us stretch it out, even if we DON'T throw it to him...

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 10:56 AM
jharrison9292 2 mins, 1 sec ago Twitter
@Wallace17_daKid gives me the first interview lol

Read more at http://yfrog.com/65l14mnpfxgxalxeakgopsnjz#D5QqPbRdPxc8Z6Mg.99

tube517
08-28-2012, 11:14 AM
jharrison9292 2 mins, 1 sec ago Twitter
@Wallace17_daKid gives me the first interview lol

Read more at http://yfrog.com/65l14mnpfxgxalxeakgopsnjz#D5QqPbRdPxc8Z6Mg.99

Deebo interviewing Wallace lol

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

TheRuneMeister
08-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Good for him. He wants to play, and now he doesn't have to worry about preseason injuries in a contract year. You can say what you want about that hold out, but at least he is healthy going into the regular season.

86WARD
08-28-2012, 11:20 AM
No sound?

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 11:21 AM
@AntonioBrown84 on @Wallace17_daKid

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 11:22 AM
@AntonioBrown84 on @Wallace17_daKid

http://yfrog.com/0w6jutfzhofnyxnpnsouvcixz

fansince'76
08-28-2012, 11:23 AM
So that gives them about 12 days to get a long-term deal done. Still lots of time, especially if the only sticking point before was the guaranteed money.

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Mike Wallace Says He Already Knows The Playbook For The Most Part

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/mike-wallace-says-he-already-knows-the-playbook-for-the-most-part/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Sorry for the wait!! #Steelernation

https://twitter.com/Wallace17_daKid/status/240489696172601344

steelreserve
08-28-2012, 12:02 PM
Good for him. He wants to play, and now he doesn't have to worry about preseason injuries in a contract year. You can say what you want about that hold out, but at least he is healthy going into the regular season.

Yeah? So is Antonio Brown. Who also doesn't have to worry about his "contract year" because he already got that taken care of, by showing the fuck up to practice instead of sitting at home and pouting like a goddamn child.

From here, it looks like Wallace completely blew it in every possible way, and if he's not ready for the season because of this crap, I'm going to be extra pissed.

tube517
08-28-2012, 12:07 PM
So that gives them about 12 days to get a long-term deal done. Still lots of time, especially if the only sticking point before was the guaranteed money.

Those meddling Rooneys. :chuckle:

ALLD
08-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Deebo needs a tripod and somebody to post his videos in the proper framing.

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 12:51 PM
The Official Mike Wallace 17

Glad to be back in the 'Burgh with my teammates. It's time for me to get busy. I am ready. To my fans, I hope you understand that I had to handle the business end of things for myself which is never easy for you or me. But for now, that's behind me. I am back and ready to help my team make another run at it. I am focused on winning another championship for Steeler Nation and this city. Let's do it. MW

http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/257090844393840

TheRuneMeister
08-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Yeah? So is Antonio Brown. Who also doesn't have to worry about his "contract year" because he already got that taken care of, by showing the fuck up to practice instead of sitting at home and pouting like a goddamn child.

From here, it looks like Wallace completely blew it in every possible way, and if he's not ready for the season because of this crap, I'm going to be extra pissed.
You do know that their status is different right? You can't really compare the two.

86WARD
08-28-2012, 01:28 PM
The Official Mike Wallace 17

Glad to be back in the 'Burgh with my teammates. It's time for me to get busy. I am ready. To my fans, I hope you understand that I had to handle the business end of things for myself which is never easy for you or me. But for now, that's behind me. I am back and ready to help my team make another run at it. I am focused on winning another championship for Steeler Nation and this city. Let's do it. MW

http://www.facebook.com/officialhinesward/posts/257090844393840

"for now."

Shoes
08-28-2012, 01:38 PM
Those meddling Rooneys. :chuckle:

.....yes, they are also cheap. :chuckle:

ALLD
08-28-2012, 01:46 PM
I could see if Wallace played for the Bengals and was trying to squeeze them, but what he did to the Steelers was not in anybody's best interest. I get the fact he thinks they should have tagged him with the "franchise" and the higher base salary, but I also get the fact he faded at the end of the year.

Brown didn't fade, in fact he was MVP and not Wallace. Brown also showed up and picked up right where he left off. At this point it appears Brown will have a better career based on him showing up to play, not trying to hold out and wag the dog.

Pittsburgh is one of the leading teams in pro sports who gives you more support to succeed than 90% of any other team in any sport. Wallace is on an island and could find himself sacrificing a HoF career and more long term money in order to bump up his short term earnings. I don't get it at all.

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2012, 01:59 PM
I don't get it at all.

none of us probably will because we've never had the luxury of making millions in such a short period of time. That's why i never judge these guys. I mean think about $100 million dollar guys like Jamarcus Russell and alert Haynseworth that have had countless embarassing moments in their careers. Honestly speaking, im not sure a lot of people would give a damn what the "football fans" thought about me if i had that much chump change in my bank account.

st33lersguy
08-28-2012, 02:18 PM
Good, hopefully he will earn a large contract

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 02:22 PM
none of us probably will because we've never had the luxury of making millions in such a short period of time. That's why i never judge these guys. I mean think about $100 million dollar guys like Jamarcus Russell and alert Haynseworth that have had countless embarassing moments in their careers. Honestly speaking, im not sure a lot of people would give a damn what the "football fans" thought about me if i had that much chump change in my bank account.

Having a season ending or career ending injury during training camp and preseason is totally financially different for Antonio with his contract than it would mean for Wallace under his one year tender. Wallace said he wasn't going to sign the tender until he had to...and that's why. This week, he had to sign in order to play and hopefully work out the details of a long term contract before the Denver game. Colbert said they have every intention of signing Wallace to that long term contract.

I have every confidence it will get done.

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 02:28 PM
I do not think Wallace will have a long-term contract this year

But next year, it is very possible, since the steelers are going to put the tag on Wallace

Kornbread
08-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Can't wait to see him play! Glad he is back.

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC5uXTGKlo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 02:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrLlR_t03Dg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 02:44 PM
I bet Ben is a happy boy today....he's got all his toys back in his toybox.

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwala Roethliberger on Wallace: Like your parents telling you you get a new car but it has to sit in driveway b/c you don’t have any insurance

Count Steeler
08-28-2012, 02:52 PM
I bet Ben is a happy boy today....he's got all his toys back in his toybox.

Aditi Kinkhabwala‏@AKinkhabwala Roethliberger on Wallace: Like your parents telling you you get a new car but it has to sit in driveway b/c you don’t have any insurance

Wonder if he'll go out and polish his new car.

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Will Graves‏@WillGravesAP Wallace on a long-term deal: "That's down the road. Hopefully I can. This is the team that drafted me and it's where I want to stay."

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 03:00 PM
Wallace on a long-term deal: "That's down the road. Hopefully I can. This is the team that drafted me and it's where I want to stay."

WR M. Wallace told me he would like to be with #Steelers long term but focused now on what he hopes is a Super Bowl run.

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 04:06 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers‏@steelers@Wallace17_daKid (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/Wallace17_daKid) has signed his tender and is eligible to practice with the team Sept 3

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers‏@steelers We have activated @jharrison9292 (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/jharrison9292) and Jason Worilds from the PUP list.

Steelers RReports‏@CBSSportsNFLPIT
That means all the proverbial hands are on deck for the #Steelers (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/search/?src=hash&q=%23Steelers). No more PUP guys, no more holdouts. Also, RB Jason Ford was cut.

steelreserve
08-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Will Graves‏@WillGravesAP Wallace on a long-term deal: "That's down the road. Hopefully I can. This is the team that drafted me and it's where I want to stay."

Translation: "I'll be with St. Louis or Oakland next year on the first day of free agency. I didn't get my way with Pittsburgh by throwing a shitfit, so I'm pretty much writing off the possibility of playing here long-term, but I'll throw out a few of these comments so the fans won't be on my back."

Seriously, if anyone wants to make bets on that, avatar, cash or otherwise, I'm listening.

polamalubeast
08-28-2012, 05:43 PM
the worst scenario, the Steelers will put the TAG Wallace in 2013

The steelers are going restructured contracts and the fact that the salary cap will increase in 2014 because of the new TV contract will help the steelers

his holdout is over, so it's time to move on

Shoes
08-28-2012, 08:28 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055765/article/mike-wallace-of-steelers-has-no-regrets-about-absence?module=HP11_headline_stack

......When told some people believe his contract demands are unreasonable, Wallace dismissed the notion."You talking about 'some?' You haven't heard my teammates say that. You never heard my coaches say that. Who is 'some?' I really don't care about 'some.' They don't matter to me."

"Some"....is some of the Steeler fan's Mike......you know the same ones who piss and moan that they didn't get a big enough raise......or complain that their work mate is making more than they are. Nothing new under the sun.

steelers_switzerland
08-29-2012, 10:28 AM
i can't understand so many posts in here. if it was you and your financial future that you risk, i'd bet that ALL of you would do the same, all would hold out and make sure you're not getting injured in training camp or preseason games. i can understand him and hope he gets his contract soon, we need him, he's a good guy and so important for our passing game. all the stuff that happened the last weeks, thats business. and thats what today's nfl is about.

polamalubeast
08-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Gerry Dulac writes that the Steelers could "stretch" their usual rule about not negotiating with players in season, but only if they feel that progress is being made with Wallace on a new deal. All reports have previously indicated that the two sides are far apart on an agreement.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000055850/article/haley-says-its-feasible-wallace-will-play-in-week-1?campaign=Twitter_atl

Psycho Ward 86
08-29-2012, 11:25 AM
i can't understand so many posts in here. if it was you and your financial future that you risk, i'd bet that ALL of you would do the same, all would hold out and make sure you're not getting injured in training camp or preseason games. i can understand him and hope he gets his contract soon, we need him, he's a good guy and so important for our passing game. all the stuff that happened the last weeks, thats business. and thats what today's nfl is about.

exactly.

fansince'76
08-29-2012, 11:27 AM
Translation: "I'll be with St. Louis or Oakland next year on the first day of free agency. I didn't get my way with Pittsburgh by throwing a shitfit, so I'm pretty much writing off the possibility of playing here long-term, but I'll throw out a few of these comments so the fans won't be on my back."

Seriously, if anyone wants to make bets on that, avatar, cash or otherwise, I'm listening.

Pretty much the way I read it as well.

86WARD
08-29-2012, 11:35 AM

Here's a thought: it's not really an issue right now...

steelreserve
08-29-2012, 12:27 PM
Here's a thought: it's not really an issue right now...

Not yet, anyway. It's still a bit of a nuisance as far as I'm concerned, though. I'm thinking basically the only way he stays past this year is if, as someone else mentioned, we use the franchise tag next season and probably get to go through another one of these lovely incidents again.

katmandu
08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
the worst scenario, the Steelers will put the TAG Wallace in 2013
Can they still slap the TAG on him this year and give him a raise ?

I can't believe Wallace came in just to play for the $2.7 million this year.... There's got to be something more for him coming before the start of the season.

silver & black
08-30-2012, 06:27 PM

Can't say I would be upset about that. :chuckle:

pepsyman1
08-30-2012, 11:15 PM

If he had shown up in camp they probably would have gotten a long term contract done for him. By not coming in they probably won't get it done (since the Roonys DON'T do contracts once the season starts). If he gets hurt this year, he's gonna be up shits creek. There were no offers for him during the preseason...if he has to recover from an injury or has a less than strong year because he wasn't in camp his value will drop considerably.

pepsyman1
08-30-2012, 11:18 PM

I can't believe Wallace came in just to play for the $2.7 million this year.... There's got to be something more for him coming before the start of the season.

He won't get credit for the year if he didn't show up and sign at some point...which would mean he'd still be restricted next year.

steelreserve
08-31-2012, 01:12 AM
Can't say I would be upset about that. :chuckle:

You will be when he shows up with a $20M a year contract and a bad attitude, and quits on the team halfway through his first season.

... wait, I forgot Al Davis isn't around anymore. Isn't that just great for your team?

HollywoodSteel
08-31-2012, 08:04 AM
You will be when he shows up with a $20M a year contract and a bad attitude, and quits on the team halfway through his first season.

... wait, I forgot Al Davis isn't around anymore. Isn't that just great for your team?

I think that's a bit harsh. Wallace underperformed down the stretch but I don't think anyone on the Steelers believes he quit on them.

Unless you were making a Raider joke that wasn't specific to Wallace.

86WARD
08-31-2012, 08:52 AM

Why not? Basically they have him in a 2 year deal (back loaded) for $13M or so...better deal than what he was asking for as far as the Steelera are concerned...

silver & black
08-31-2012, 09:15 AM

As a matter of fact, it is great for my team. The Raiders are already moving in the right direction with McKenzie and coming into the 21st century. I'm actually excited about my team for the first time in a long time.