PDA

View Full Version : QB Johnson hoping to hang on with Steelers

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 05:35 AM
Jerrod Johnson is in no hurry to embark on a career as a gym teacher. He first wants to make a living by throwing a football.
At this stage of the preseason, it’s hard to gauge if Johnson has what it takes to make it long-term in the NFL. But on the bright side, he’s making the most of his chances so far as the Steelers’ fourth-team quarterback.
“Some of the other coaches and I were just talking about Jerrod,” offensive coordinator Todd Haley said Monday after practice. “In the preseason games he’s played, he’s obviously played against third-team and fourth-team guys. But among his peers, he’s playing as well as anyone at those points in those games.”..........

Read more @ http://burgh.us/ftk

LLT
08-28-2012, 05:53 AM
At some point you have to think that we start looking towards the future and put Charlie out to pasture...I think the majority of people would like to see Johnson on this team.

stillers4me
08-28-2012, 05:56 AM
The upside to cutting Charlie and keeping Johnson is that nobody is going to call Charlie and sign him. He's not going anywhere and nobody else would know our offense as well as he does at that point. He's only a phone call away if we would need him midseason.

And the way we go through QB's....you just never know. :lol:

GBMelBlount
08-28-2012, 06:51 AM
After three preseason games, the Steelers (2-1) have gotten strong performances from all their QBs.

They’ve combined for a league-high 116.5 passer rating.

The only other team over 100 is the Washington Redskins at 102.1.Starter Ben Roethlisberger has a 97.5 rating with backup Byron Leftwich at 131.1 and third-stringer Charlie Batch at 95.5.

Johnson, a rookie who holds 24 passing records at Texas A&M, has a team-high rating of 137.5.

Johnson has played well. I hope they keep him, even if it is only on the practice squad.

Admittedly it is only 3 games and only preseason but I am wondering WHY our collective passer rating is so insanely high...

I think there are probably a few reasons.

Pristas
08-28-2012, 07:22 AM
I like this kid. I hope he makes the team. I still may get a Batch jersey this year though. I'm due for a new one and I don't want his contributions to ever be forgotten.

The Duke
08-28-2012, 08:24 AM
The upside to cutting Charlie and keeping Johnson is that nobody is going to call Charlie and sign him. He's not going anywhere and nobody else would know our offense as well as he does at that point. He's only a phone call away if we would need him midseason.

And the way we go through QB's....you just never know. :lol:

that's what I'm thinking

I just hope no QB gets injured in the 4th game (I'm looking at you Byron!)

Moose
08-28-2012, 08:51 AM
I like what I saw from this kid also. I think before the F.O. makes any decisions on him they should play him against some 2nd team players. As was said earlier, Charlie doesn't have alot of playing time left.

Psycho Ward 86
08-28-2012, 01:20 PM
we need to start grooming reliable backup QB's. I say we cut one of the 2 vets and keep Johnson as the #3

steeldevil
08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Cut Batch and hope Arizona doesn't pick him up. Although we probably wouldn't need to sign him anyway..

Nadroj 20
08-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Actually I'd cut Lefty. I think Batch can be more servicable as backup then Lefty can. Keep Johnson around as the #3 guy.

Steelman
08-28-2012, 06:11 PM
I really like this Johnson kid, I don't see how he'd be much of a downgrade over Charlie or Lefty as a 3rd QB.

ALLD
08-28-2012, 07:07 PM
Trade Lefty for a hot tub and a case of foam cups.

Shoes
08-28-2012, 07:15 PM
At some point you have to think that we start looking towards the future and put Charlie out to pasture...I think the majority of people would like to see Johnson on this team.

The upside to cutting Charlie and keeping Johnson is that nobody is going to call Charlie and sign him. He's not going anywhere and nobody else would know our offense as well as he does at that point. He's only a phone call away if we would need him midseason.And the way we go through QB's....you just never know. :lol:

Here..Here
:drink:

steelreserve
08-28-2012, 07:27 PM
Cut Batch and hope Arizona doesn't pick him up. Although we probably wouldn't need to sign him anyway..

More like hope New England doesn't pick him up. Who knows if they could make him talk though.

SMR
08-28-2012, 07:49 PM
As much as I like Batch and Byron, I'd prefer Johnson. He's healthy, young, and sure can move around out of the pocket when needed. His youth gives him an advantage over the other two with the fact he has many more years to improve where needed. He would bring a refreshing change for us whenever he has to step in.

I'd cut Leftwich because he runs like a girl. Let Batch stay and mentor/build up Johnson until he becomes a finely-tuned and suitable back-up for Big Ben whenever needed.

60_MINUTES
08-28-2012, 10:06 PM
we can find a back up QB 10 times better then Johnson in the up coming drafts... Im not sure what you guys are watching but Johnson sucks... he is terrible... please lets move on

SMR
08-29-2012, 12:54 AM
we can find a back up QB 10 times better then Johnson in the up coming drafts... Im not sure what you guys are watching but Johnson sucks... he is terrible... please lets move on

I'm not sure what YOU were watching. Don't tell us to move on when the regular season hasn't even started!

Nadroj 20
08-29-2012, 05:10 PM

Please. We are talking about a guy with potential. He has shown signs of being a good back-up at least. There is another problem about your thoughts. I didn't think there was a draft scheduled between now and the regular season is there? Exactly. We have to go with what we have right now and Lefty is the one who sucks and Batch is about 53 years old.

Keep the guy with potential on the team and then talk about other possibilities next season.

Craic
08-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Lefty is a much better QB for the Steelers as a backup. Statistics don't tell a story, but they do help guide a story, and in this case, they guide well.

Over their careers - (all rations = passes thrown/the category)

Lefty - 58.3% completions, 3.7% TD's, 2.6% INT's, 79.7 QB rating.
Batch - 56.3% completions, 3.9% TD's, 3.1% INT's, 77.8 QB rating.

So, over their career, they might be seen as almost even, though Lefty is just a bit better. However, let's look at how they fair as backups for the Steelers.

Lefty (43 attempts, 6 games, 0 starts) 60.5% completions, 4.7% TD's, 0.0% INT's, 101.4 QB rating.
Batch (208 attempts, 31 games, 7 starts) 57.7% completions 5.3% TD's 3.8% INT's, 83.7 QB Rating.

As a backup, those are good numbers for coming in and having to get right into the game. Heck, Batch's are decent as well for a backup, IMO. But here is the killer.

Lefty 32 years old this year.
Batch 38 years old this year.

Let batch go, keep lefty as the backup for the next 4-5 years, used that time to train up Johnson as either the backup, or the eventual starter if Ben gets injured. I really can't see why we would keep Batch.

SMR
08-29-2012, 08:33 PM
Lefty is a much better QB for the Steelers as a backup. Statistics don't tell a story, but they do help guide a story, and in this case, they guide well.

Over their careers - (all rations = passes thrown/the category)

Lefty - 58.3% completions, 3.7% TD's, 2.6% INT's, 79.7 QB rating.
Batch - 56.3% completions, 3.9% TD's, 3.1% INT's, 77.8 QB rating.

So, over their career, they might be seen as almost even, though Lefty is just a bit better. However, let's look at how they fair as backups for the Steelers.

Lefty (43 attempts, 6 games, 0 starts) 60.5% completions, 4.7% TD's, 0.0% INT's, 101.4 QB rating.
Batch (208 attempts, 31 games, 7 starts) 57.7% completions 5.3% TD's 3.8% INT's, 83.7 QB Rating.

As a backup, those are good numbers for coming in and having to get right into the game. Heck, Batch's are decent as well for a backup, IMO. But here is the killer.

Lefty 32 years old this year.
Batch 38 years old this year.

Let batch go, keep lefty as the backup for the next 4-5 years, used that time to train up Johnson as either the backup, or the eventual starter if Ben gets injured. I really can't see why we would keep Batch.

Not bad research Preacher! I honestly see that age sticks out the most between Batch and Leftwich. Leftwich holds a SLIGHT advantage despite running like a girl, lol. Still I would keep one of the two to coach up Johnson. I seriously think Johnson is worth keeping over one of the two geezers, lol.

GBMelBlount
08-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Not bad research Preacher! I honestly see that age sticks out the most between Batch and Leftwich. Leftwich holds a SLIGHT advantage despite running like a girl, lol. Still I would keep one of the two to coach up Johnson. I seriously think Johnson is worth keeping over one of the two geezers, lol.

Yes, nice stats.

However their is one stat missing.

Wins and losses.

...and I would say Batch has QUITE an edge there....

Regardless, though Charlie has made some important contributions, I do agree that it is Lefty's time.

Moose
08-30-2012, 10:24 AM
Neither Batch or Leftwich can scramble. Just like Brady and Peyton, when flushed out of pocket they aren't as good. Ben is good in pocket and still can make plays when flushed from pocket and with our offensive line we need a QB that can throw on the life saving run, and I personally believe Johnson is a good prospect for # 3 for now. Play him against a 2nd team and let's see what he can do.

GBMelBlount
08-30-2012, 10:28 PM
Yes, nice stats.

However their is one stat missing.

Wins and losses.

...and I would say Batch has QUITE an edge there....

Regardless, though Charlie has made some important contributions, I do agree that it is Lefty's time.

I only want to add to this that Charlie wants this bad...it shows.

He played with heart and intensity tonight and admittedly I find myself pulling for this great guy that bleeds black and gold just one more time.