PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Depot: Report: Steelers Will Not Place David DeCastro On Injured Reserve

polamalubeast
08-27-2012, 02:50 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/report-steelers-will-not-place-david-decastro-on-injured-reserve/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

polamalubeast
08-27-2012, 02:54 PM
#Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said DeCastro will have surgery Wednesday and they will decide what path to follow after that.

https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/240174843520245761

fansince'76
08-27-2012, 03:00 PM
I truly hope they don't try and rush him back. Just let him sit and learn for a year at this point.

Psycho Ward 86
08-27-2012, 03:11 PM
not sure how i feel about this

polamalubeast
08-27-2012, 03:12 PM
I said....Why not!

The Duke
08-27-2012, 03:25 PM
After the first or second inevitable injury on the team they'll be forced to IR him

let the man heal for 2013

Count Steeler
08-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Not a wise use of the roster spot. Better to let him learn from the sidelines and get fully recovered than to try rush him back.

See what's available around the league on the last cut day.

Chidi29
08-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Keep in mind that just because he's not going on IR right now doesn't mean he won't/can't down the line or that he definitely will be coming back. It's one of those murky timetables when you know he won't be back soon but could come back late in the year. So instead of jumping the gun and trying to predict how long it'll take him to heal, they can wait-and-see with him and try to make a more informed choice down the line.

Count Steeler
08-27-2012, 03:57 PM
Keep in mind that just because he's not going on IR right now doesn't mean he won't/can't down the line or that he definitely will be coming back. It's one of those murky timetables when you know he won't be back soon but could come back late in the year. So instead of jumping the gun and trying to predict how long it'll take him to heal, they can wait-and-see with him and try to make a more informed choice down the line.

But that is another roster spot for an injured player. We already have Harrison, Worilds, Hampton and Mendy that are not on the PUP, and may or may not be ready for the early part of the schedule. That is 5 roster spots being held by players that may not contribute for the first quarter of the season.

Chidi29
08-27-2012, 04:02 PM
But that is another roster spot for an injured player. We already have Harrison, Worilds, Hampton and Mendy that are not on the PUP, and may or may not be ready for the early part of the schedule. That is 5 roster spots being held by players that may not contribute for the first quarter of the season.

I understand that and get that concern. I was just addressing the idea that we're potentially going to rush him back.

Psycho Ward 86
08-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Its going to be hard to stay in football shape during that time too. So honestly, i think a seasoned (hopefully healthy at that point) Ramon Foster will also be in good chemistry with Pouncey and Gilbert will be more effective anyways. If Decastro does get healthy enough to play, and is going to make THAT big of a win or lose impact for us, we have bigger problems than the right guard position. Seriously, sit him on IR. He's going to be one of the gems of this young line, but maybe not if he gets hurt again. A whole year of sitting on the sideline will only fuel him in his return. And a whole 'nother year of study for a Stanford graduate? He will be an incredible force cerebrally.

86WARD
08-27-2012, 06:30 PM
Aaron Smith ring a bell? Much rather have Thaddeus Gibson right now than Jason Worlids...

Buckinnuts
08-27-2012, 06:53 PM
what if they put him on the PUP list?he wont be eligible to come back till november or so...will that take a roster spot....Ravens did it with sluggs

steelpride12
08-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Do we really want to potentially ruin Decastro's career. This kid needs to sit this season and become 100% over the offseason. I'm sorry, but 6 weeks, 8 weeks, 24 weeks is not enough time for him to fully heal from his surgery, do physical training, and become game ready. Let's play it safe here. The Steelers won the last two championships with a sub par line, we can do it again.

Not to mention a healthy Starks and Pouncey greatly improves the OL.

oneforthetoe
08-27-2012, 09:20 PM
what if they put him on the PUP list?he wont be eligible to come back till november or so...will that take a roster spot....Ravens did it with sluggs

Can't go on pup list - it is only for players injured before camp.

HollywoodSteel
08-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Can't go on pup list - it is only for players injured before camp.

That's correct. I know it's a bit confusing with them announcing now that they're putting Suggs on the PUP, but all that means is that they are taking him from the active PUP list (the training camp version) to the inactive PUP list (the regular season version). You can only go onto the inactive PUP list if you were already on the active PUP list, and they have to put you on that before training camp starts.

Bottom line, we can't put him on the PUP but as Chid said, we can IR him later if we choose to. I'm not too worried about the roster spot right now. Is there some O-lineman that we'd put on the practice squad who will get snatched or is there some FA O-line that's good enough to sign but won't be available later? If so, I'm sure the Steelers will take that into consideration.

SteelGhost
08-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Please, sit and heal David, in the meantime learn Haley's playbook :noidea:

Chidi29
08-27-2012, 10:09 PM
And remember that from what it looks like, DeCastro is an extremely hard worker. So if there's a guy that's going to heal ahead of schedule, it's the burly lineman from Stanford.

steelreserve
08-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Yeah, if he jumps up off the surgery table and starts doing jumping jacks, then maybe I can see bringing him back this season.

But back here in the real world, our fate will largely have been determined by the time we'd even consider him game-ready. I don't think rushing him back (at 80% probably) will even move the needle on that. It would, however, put him at huge risk for another serious injury.

Edman
08-28-2012, 02:03 AM
We'll see what happens. I'm not praying for a miracle though.