PDA

View Full Version : Woodley wants a fair share

BlastFurnace
07-20-2010, 02:37 PM
By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports 3 hours, 17 minutes ago

LaMarr Woodley(notes) was speaking to the football team at Chicago’s Leo Catholic High School on Monday afternoon when one of the teenage players raised his hand and asked a particularly relevant question.

If it’s all about the love of the game, why do so many players complain about their contracts?

Woodley, the Pittsburgh Steelers’ Pro Bowl outside linebacker, knew this business-related query was quite personal.

“Sometimes,” he said, “you’ve gotta be treated fair.”

Later Monday, in his first interview since being told by the Steelers that the team has no intention of negotiating an extension before the final season of his rookie contract, Woodley elaborated upon his frustration. The fourth-year standout, who has 29 sacks despite just 31 career regular-season starts, will make $550,000 in 2010, a figure that is much less than market value.

“It’s kind of jacked up,” Woodley said. “Everything I’ve ever done for the Steelers, on and off the field, has been positive. Sometimes you don’t get the same thing back in return.”

In May I wrote about Woodley’s quest for a restructured contract and how the “30 percent rule,” a restriction which came into play after the owners opted out of the current collective bargaining agreement, complicated matters for him and other NFL players who had outperformed their rookie deals. I suggested the kind of “Band-Aid” raise the Philadelphia Eagles had given new starting quarterback Kevin Kolb(notes). On a lesser scale Monday, the Titans placated All-Pro halfback Chris Johnson with a one-year upgrade that, by accelerating built-in contract escalators, reportedly will boost his 2010 earnings from $550,000 to somewhere in the neighborhood of $2.5 million.

Earlier this month the Steelers told Woodley’s agent, Doug Hendrickson, that no adjustment would immediately be made to his deal. Given the team’s policy of not discussing contracts once the season begins, that almost certainly means he won’t be able to cash in until after the owners and NFL Players Association reach a deal for a new CBA.

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert wasn’t made available for an interview on Monday; communications coordinator Dave Lockett cited the team’s policy of not commenting on contract negotiations. Woodley, however, said the franchise’s message has been loud and clear.

“I’m not going to lie – I was a little disappointed that they didn’t offer anything at all,” Woodley said. “I felt that was a little weird. I guess they decided they’re going to sit back and wait for the CBA and all that to play out.

“You look around the league and you see different teams getting stuff done with their players in similar situations, and you think, ‘What, the Steelers don’t care about me?’ Stuff like that goes through your mind.”

Woodley insisted he’ll channel his anger toward having another stellar season and that his dissatisfaction won’t affect him on the field. “That’s what I love to do, go out and hit somebody,” he said. “I don’t see anything happening this year but all my numbers increasing.”

As for what happens after 2010, Woodley doesn’t sound especially committed to Pittsburgh, which may be a moot point. In theory, the Steelers can apply the franchise tag to keep Woodley from becoming an unrestricted free agent. As a hybrid outside linebacker/defensive end, Woodley likely would command a one-year salary in the $12 million range under the current system.

Then again, with the CBA set to expire next March, there’s no guarantee that the device still will exist once a new deal is negotiated.

“They’re kind of looking at a franchise tag, but it’s a pretty risky gamble,” Woodley said. “If there is no franchise tag … I guess I can play for 31 [other] teams now. That’s what it boils down to. If they’d wanted to keep other teams from getting a crack, they could’ve tried to do so.”

Woodley said he has heard from several players on opposing teams “who say I deserve [a new deal]. They say, ‘How come they didn’t pay you? You know what? Some other team will pay you. We could use an outside linebacker.’ ”

He also has stayed in touch with New York Jets inside linebacker and former Michigan teammate David Harris(notes), who has been similarly rebuffed in an attempt to land a new deal with his team. “That defense that Harris is on now, he doesn’t need to go anywhere,” Woodley said, laughing. “All they need is a rusher to come over, and they’re set.”

Woodley’s frustrations with the Steelers stem from the belief that his contributions to the team’s success aren’t fully appreciated by management. Last year he tied for the NFL lead with 19 tackles for loss, and he was particularly productive during Pittsburgh’s Super Bowl title drive the previous season, recording six postseason sacks.

“You hear a lot of people saying, ‘Woodley’s asking for too much,’ ” he said. “You can compare my numbers to outside linebackers around the league, and I think mine stack up with anyone’s.

“I wouldn’t be making this argument if I didn’t produce on the field. But what I do is no joke. I get better every year. I’m not trying to say one man makes a team. But ever since I’ve been in that [starting role], our defensive stats have improved.”

Noting that the Steelers recently signed fourth-year coach Mike Tomlin to a contract extension, Woodley said, “On Twitter somebody wrote, ‘Are you serious? Who’s more important, LaMarr Woodley or a coach?’ I didn’t say that. But I thought it was funny.”
Woodley is less amused by the juxtaposition between the Steelers and Pennsylvania’s other NFL team, the Eagles, who after trading franchise quarterback Donovan McNabb(notes) boosted Kolb’s 2010 salary from $550,000 to $12.26 million.

“Kolb’s a second-round pick, so that’s the best comparison to me,” Woodley said. “When you see guys like that get taken care of, it makes you wonder. This guy has barely started a game in the NFL, and he becomes the starting quarterback of the Eagles, and they take care of their guy.

“With me, no conversations even happened. That’s the crazy thing – we don’t have any communication going on.”

It’s the kind of situation that can put a man’s love of the game to the test. Undoubtedly, the Steelers believe Woodley’s is sufficient to override any feelings of frustration

BlastFurnace
07-20-2010, 02:39 PM
The Rooney's and Colbert need to put their heads together and figure out something that they can do for Woodley right now.

The Titans reached out to Chris Johnson with a "good faith" offer and other teams have done some stuff too over circumvent this 30% rule to a degree.

We simply cannot lose Woodley. It would not only hurt us on the field, but it will send a message to the other players that won't go over well either.

steelerdude15
07-20-2010, 02:42 PM
I don't see Woodley leaving us, but I'm pretty sure he's upset because he might not want to leave. I wouldn't want to leave either if I had already won a SB and was a big part of the defense.

BlastFurnace
07-20-2010, 02:44 PM
Reading this article, you can see that Woodley is pissed at not only the CBA issue, but with the Steelers as well. I don't blame him one bit.

fansince'76
07-20-2010, 02:45 PM
Woodley isn't going anywhere.

Psycho Ward 86
07-20-2010, 02:47 PM
oh damn dont go to the jets

Wheelz
07-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Reading this article, you can see that Woodley is pissed at not only the CBA issue, but with the Steelers as well. I don't blame him one bit.

Nor do I. I was hoping he's been assured from the FO that he'll be taken care of, but it sure doesn't sound like that's the case. The Wood has earned a lot of respect for the past two seasons, and he deserves far, far more than what he's getting. I don't blame him a bit for being upset. *shaking head*

steeldevil
07-20-2010, 03:03 PM
The FO needs to do something to satisfy him right now. Not next year. Im glad Woodley has a good attitude or this would be a horrible situation right now...

Mattsme
07-20-2010, 03:18 PM
I just lost any respect I might have had for him. I understand his frustration, but he should have kept his mouth shut.

For the team's sake, I still hope we sign him.

Chidi29
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I just lost any respect I might have had for him. I understand his frustration, but he should have kept his mouth shut.

Calm down. The guy can vent a little bit. If he said everything was 100% ok, that rainbows appeared outside his house daily, and that the lack of talking has allowed him more time to find cures for every disease, we would've called bull and knew he was lying.

He isn't holding out. He's been to all the activities he's supposed to. He isn't taking the Vincent Jackson or Marcus McNeil route. Nor the Chris Johnson one pre-restructure.

Chidi29
07-20-2010, 03:26 PM
The Rooney's and Colbert need to put their heads together and figure out something that they can do for Woodley right now.

The Titans reached out to Chris Johnson with a "good faith" offer and other teams have done some stuff too over circumvent this 30% rule to a degree.

I don't think we can do the same. The Titans took an esclator from 2012 and moved it to guaranteed money for this year. Woodley doesn't have any years left. I assume that makes any sort of restructuring much more difficult.

Mattsme
07-20-2010, 03:30 PM
Calm down. The guy can vent a little bit. If he said everything was 100% ok, that rainbows appeared outside his house daily, and that the lack of talking has allowed him more time to find cures for every disease, we would've called bull and knew he was lying.

He isn't holding out. He's been to all the activities he's supposed to. He isn't taking the Vincent Jackson or Marcus McNeil route. Nor the Chris Johnson one pre-restructure.

I just think he should keep his mouth shut when it comes to his contract. I think all players should. I know that's not a popular opinion.

steeldevil
07-20-2010, 03:40 PM

Is this for real? He did nothing wrong. He has not threatened to hold out or anything. He just said that he should be treated fairly and he is right, he should. And he isnt exagerating on how much he should be paid either like some players do. He deserves at least as much as Suggs... He is an underpaid player sticking up for himself.

X-Terminator
07-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I gotta agree with Mattsme. As much as I love Woodley, he needs to shut up and play football. I'm tired of athletes whining about their contracts. And besides, he is going to get paid and get WELL paid by the Steelers once this CBA mess is taken care of.

tony hipchest
07-20-2010, 04:05 PM
:doh: and he was being such a good little soldier.

well the good news in all of this is he tweets on twitter. that should help.

Aussie_steeler
07-20-2010, 04:08 PM
I gotta agree with Mattsme. As much as I love Woodley, he needs to shut up and play football. I'm tired of athletes whining about their contracts. And besides, he is going to get paid and get WELL paid by the Steelers once this CBA mess is taken care of.

I agree 100% X and Mattsme. For some reason I just felt like I was listening to the beginning of a little bit of Faneca talk. I know its just his frustration emerging but sometimes where there is smoke there could well be a fire.

Shut your mouth, play football and it will get done. No-one disputes he is a superb player who deserves an awesome second contract.

Chidi29
07-20-2010, 04:18 PM
I just think he should keep his mouth shut when it comes to his contract. I think all players should. I know that's not a popular opinion.

I hear what you're saying, but I'll take the reverse of the old saying. Use your words, not actions.

If a new deal gets done, no one remembers this. Heck, Hines Ward held out for a better contract and most fans don't remember that.

ALLD
07-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I remember Ward holding out and thinking the Rooney's were being penny-wise and pound foolish. Then the Bus and Cowher got Ward into camp as a prerequisite to a new contract. The rest is two Super Bowl wins and history.

Chidi29
07-20-2010, 04:29 PM
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment. I'm not wishing for Woodley to leave, that would of course be foolish, but I understand the financial side of football and how tough decisions have to be made, just as I'm sure a lot of you guys do as well. This goes back to what I wrote about in my latest editoral (shameless plug). I wrote this the other day on a seperate board and wanted to get some thoughts on it.

Tomlin drafted Worilds over Sean Lee who we had a first round grade on. That's a very risky play and it is only done if you really like a guy and have big plans for him. Could Worilds be replacing Harrison? It's possible. But at least Harrison is guaranteed, if we so choose anyhow, to be here much longer than Woodley.

It's not about thinking Woodley is a bad player or that we could do better. It's about realizing that he's going to want a lot of money.

We'll survive if we lose Woodley. He's a great talent and you'd hate to lose him, but we've played musical chairs with linebackers since the 90s, constantly having great success. It's really about the scheme more than it is talent.

I'm not going to overpay for a player, even one of Woodley's caliber, when we've seen Clark Haggans get 8.5 sacks in one year.

Chidi29
07-20-2010, 04:34 PM
I remember Ward holding out and thinking the Rooney's were being penny-wise and pound foolish. Then the Bus and Cowher got Ward into camp as a prerequisite to a new contract. The rest is two Super Bowl wins and history.

That's not the point. The point is that Ward took an unhappy contract to a much higher level than what Woodley is doing. And most people don't remember/care about him doing that. I don't see why people would care about what Woodley is saying when this will all be forgotten once he gets a new deal.

He's just frustrated. He isn't bashing teammates, calling out coaches. This could very well be a ploy from his agent to try to stir the pot a little bit and force the Steelers' hand. Colon's agent did that a few months ago.

Would I want all the players to keep their mouths zipped shut and keep all business matters behind closed doors? Yes. And yes, there is a very fine line between what is ok to say to the public and what isn't. I'm probably being a hypocrite to an extent because nothing angers me more than a guy who says something to the media that should be kept behind closed doors.

But what he is saying and when he's saying it (Before the season starts) coupled with the fact that other players are taking their frustrations to a much higher level, I consider us to be rather lucky to have a guy who can be called upon when needed.

wootawnee
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM

You keep your mouth shut.........We gottsta speak when our wages are not up to par.......Sometimes you cant hold things in........That is an extravert.......Woodley is being Woodley......Come on man.......We aint slaves that have no say.......If the Steelers told him what to say to the press that would be different, but obviously they did not if he has this to say.....

More power to ya Lamar......Peace out......

Mattsme
07-20-2010, 05:47 PM
You keep your mouth shut.........We gottsta speak when our wages are not up to par.......Sometimes you cant hold things in........That is an extravert.......Woodley is being Woodley......Come on man.......We aint slaves that have no say.......If the Steelers told him what to say to the press that would be different, but obviously they did not if he has this to say.....

More power to ya Lamar......Peace out......

I'm terribly sorry. Please, please PLEASE find it in your heart to forgive my ignorance.

I had no idea there was a Steelers player on our humble little board. That is the "we" you refer to, is it not?

SMR
07-20-2010, 06:36 PM

It may not be a very popular opinion, but I totally agree with you. I'm in the same boat with you on this. I feel all players should honor their contract UNTIL it expires.

SMR
07-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm terribly sorry. Please, please PLEASE find it in your heart to forgive my ignorance.

I had no idea there was a Steelers player on our humble little board. That is the "we" you refer to, is it not?
:sofunny:

Stlrs4Life
07-20-2010, 08:42 PM
All of those quotes goes against all of the other quotes and online posts that he has had recently.

Mattsme
07-21-2010, 12:07 AM
It may not be a very popular opinion, but I totally agree with you. I'm in the same boat with you on this. I feel all players should honor their contract UNTIL it expires.

I wish they would honor them too, but I know that's not realistic. I don't even have a problem when they sit out training camp, etc. I do have a problem when they run their mouth in the media though. But, I should probably "shut my mouth.": :sofunny: :rolleyes2:

MasterOfPuppets
07-21-2010, 12:35 AM
Steelersdepot.com: Woodley and his agent, Doug Hendrickson of Octagon Football, know how the Steelers work and even Woodley himself has said he will not pout or hold out this year.

careful lamaar ... ya don't wanna trip over that lip.

Galax Steeler
07-21-2010, 03:55 AM
I could see why he would be upset but a contract is a contract and you should have to play it out.

MasterOfPuppets
07-21-2010, 11:55 AM
I could see why he would be upset but a contract is a contract and you should have to play it out.

then do you think the teams should have honor their end of the contracts as well ? no cutting players that still have time remaining on the contract ?

HughC
07-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I can see both sides. The Steelers want to know what the new cap is going to be before committing what will be a sizeable portion of that new cap to one player. On the other hand Woodley sees Kevin Kolb and D'Brickshaw Ferguson get new contracts, and would like the same for himself. The thing is Kolb and Ferguson are the exception and not the norm. Most players in the last year of their contract are not getting new high-dollar deals because of the possibility it will screw up the team's future caps; look no further than what is happening with Manning and Brady for evidence of that.

The frustration is understandable because this is unchartered territory; ever since free agency teams would have extended players in this type of situation. Hopefully both sides keep the lines of communication open. I expect a new contract to be in place as soon as the owners know what the new cap will be.

BlastFurnace
07-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Let's just hope Woodley has a great...INJURY FREE...season. He's been great for us. I would hate to see him lose out because of an injury. If I were him, I would take out an insurance policy on myself this season to pay himself $$$$$ in the event he gets hurt.

Kaeg
07-21-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't understand this. All I read up until this article was how he's ok with everything and understands and how it will get done eventually. This kind of seems like a 180 to me. Is there some artistic license going on with some of these reporters?

SMR
07-21-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't understand this. All I read up until this article was how he's ok with everything and understands and how it will get done eventually. This kind of seems like a 180 to me. Is there some artistic license going on with some of these reporters?

Your guess is as good as mine.

steel9guy
07-21-2010, 08:59 PM
We can't lose Woodley but at the same time the Rooney family would never go near what the other teams did to get around the 30% rule. I respect them for that but as for Woodley(my favorite Steelers player) I'd hate to see him go but I think we will work something out with him and get a deal done and he will be a very rich man.