PDA

View Full Version : NFL Head Coach Power Rankings

polamalubeast
08-22-2012, 04:58 PM
After our old fashioned, tiered-style team power rankings to start training camp, we've rolled out offensive and defensive power rankings.

With special teams rankings out of our wheel house, what artificial topic can we choose before meaningful games actually start? The coaches, of course.

These rankings aren't all about what coach has the longest resume. It's who we'd want leading our team and building a staff right now if we owned a team.

Top shelf: Bill Belichick, Mike Tomlin and Jim Harbaugh

It was tempting to put Belichick alone because he's arguably in the upper echelon of the power rankings of all-time coaches. No one self-scouts and adjusts better than Belichick.

Tomlin understands the big picture. He motivates his players and staff and he manages. Harbaugh enjoyed as jaw-dropping a first season as head coach as we can remember. He creatively finds ways to beat teams and connects with his players. This trio coaches the whole team, not just one side of the ball.

Next level: Mike McCarthy, Sean Payton, Andy Reid and Tom Coughlin

McCarthy is consistent and wildly underrated as one of the game's best offensive minds. Payton is a brilliant tactician, but doesn't excel at managing the whole organization quite as well as our top-shelf picks. Andy Reid's consistency speaks for itself in a topsy-turvy league. The same is true for Coughlin, who hasn't had a sub-.500 season with the New York Giants. Then again, he's only had two seasons out of eight where the Giants won a playoff game. He made those years count.

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000053089/article/head-coach-power-rankings?campaign=Twitter_atl

st33lersguy
08-22-2012, 08:18 PM
This list is a joke. It pains me to say this, given how big a jackass he is, but how is John Harbaugh who has won a playoff game in each of his first four seasons, in the middle of the pack behind a man who has never been a head coach in a regular season game and a head coach in Rex Ryan who has lost total control of his locker room. How is he and some other coaches like Jeff Fisher who have taken their team to the Super Bowl on the same level as Pete Carroll and his pedestrian at-best NFL coaching career. Finally one season does not put any coach into the highest echelon of NFL coaches. At least they put Tomlin in the highest level

silver & black
08-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Ranking Allen this high may look ridiculous, but we are going with our gut feeling that he's going to be the league's next great young coach.

Well, I, and pretty much all Raiders fans, surley hope this is the case. I wouldn't include him in the ratings, though. He has to show something first....one way or the other.

86WARD
08-22-2012, 08:54 PM
That's one of the dumber "lists" I've ever seen...

Lou Donny
08-23-2012, 11:54 AM
That's one of the dumber "lists" I've ever seen...

agreed...hold off on these types of "lists" until the offseason....when im starved for NFL talk, maybe...MAYBE I'd give a hoot then