PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs Colts - Week 2 Preseason

Chidi29
08-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Got a win, most everyone stayed healthy (except for Sly which has oddly barely been talked about, at least from what I've seen).

First Half

- Kickoff Times: Suisham. 4.14 (-8), 2.95 (bounced into EZ, TB) 4.2 (OZ). Hrapmann 4.18 (-4), 3.88 (-5), 3.72 (OZ), 3.80 (OZ)

- Rainey starting KR. Dwyer the upback.

- Starting OL: Gilbert, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster

- Will Johnson at FB on opening play.

- Not sure what happened on Ben's INT. Speed out/flat combo and Ben somehow picked inbetween. Not worried about it though.

- Heads up play by Keisel reading the swing pass on Luck's first throw. Forced the rookie to throw the ball away.

- Cortez Allen/Curtis Brown first team jammers.

- Not sure what the Ben "zone read" play was supposed to be either. Can't see the team calling a play like that for Ben, especially in the preseason.

- Antonio Brown TD: Tight trips bunch look, forcing the CBs to play off. Gives Brown some room and a chance for lead blockers Pope and Miller to make a play. Brown's YAC ability, explosiveness obvious here. Great vision to make that cut on the LB #50, no idea how he saw him. Great effort by Baron Batch to throw final block, knocking two defenders down. Not bad for a guy that started the play seven yards deep in the backfield. Also kudos to DeCastro and Foster for their effort getting downfield.

- Woodley tosses aside rookie Coby Fleener aside and stops Donald Brown on the same play, stopping him for a short gain mid-way through the first quarter.

- Cortez again working as the nickel.

- Maze struggled on his first PR. Caught the punt with his momentum falling backward, danced around and didn't get vertical.

- Steelers' attempted swing to Rainey that they practiced a lot the day I went to camp.

- Will Johnson getting snaps in 2 back set in the gun.

- Maze, Gilreath, first team gunners.

- Another ILB twist that snuffed out a run. Maybe it's just me imagining things, but LeBeau has been a lot more aggressive this preseason than prior ones. Then again, comparing it to last year's lockout, it's going to look like a Week 1 defensive gameplan.

- Let's break down Ike Taylor's INT.

3rd and 10, prime turnover situation vs a rookie QB.
Pre-snap probably confuses Luck, force him to slow down vs our amoeba defense (one man with hand down) and 7-8 in the box. Luck really can't do anything until the snap because it's tough to have any idea who is coming and going.
Colts stack WRs to the closed side, 3x1 formation.
Ike plays to the inside hip of the WR, able to do that with safety help over the top. He's able to cut in front of Wayne and capitalize on a pass that was a little behind.

- 3rd and 8, 12:05 left in the 2nd. Ben sees LB blitz pre-snap, moves to shotgun to try and by himself more time. Smart move.

- First subs come in at 9:16 of 2nd. Batch in for Ben, Gilbert to RT, Adams enters the game at LT, Legursky replaces Pouncey at C, Foster moves to LG.

- Dwyer gets great blocking on the first snap with that unit. Inside zone play that goes for a big gain.

- Parts of 2nd team defense coming in 7:00 left in second quarter. Heyward, Brandon Johnson at ILB, Corbin Bryant, Mundy, Ivy in at OLB.

- Steelers forced to burn a timeout because of 12 men on the field. Come out of timeout, still have 12 and are penalized. Bleh. Thank God for preseason.

- Luck's rushing TD was basically a triple option/veer play.

- Essex comes in at RT for the last possession of the second half.

- Keep in mind the Colts' final ten points of the second quarter came against our second team defense.

- Our pulling is a lot more balanced this year. Previously, it was always Power O (22 double) from Kemoeatu. Now we're pulling a lot more from the right side, no doubt because of DeCastro.

Second Half

- Adrian Robinson started the second half.

- Ivy making Al Everest proud with his blocked punt.

- Josh Victorian one jammer to start the 3rd.

- Starting offensive 11 of the second half:

- Charlie and Baron Batch, Will Johnson, Cotchery, Derrick Williams (first WR of the back ends in), Adams, Beachum, Legursky, DeCastro, Essex, Paulson.

- Beachum flagged for holding on first snap just like last week. Finished with another, giving him four in two games.

- Will Johnson and Baron Batch asked to double DE on one 3rd down.

- Gilreath was probably itching to show what he could do after missing last week but poor decision to take his first kick return from nine yards deep. Only got to the 12-13.

- Baron Batch working as upback early 2nd half on KR.

- John Malecki replaced DeCastro at RG, 8:20 left in 3rd.

- Toney Clemons working as gunner mid-way through third.

- Jamie McCoy getting a lot of time in the backfield.

- Gilreath next WR in after Derrick Williams.

- Pleasantly surprised Mike Adams was able to log as many snaps as he did.

- Jerrod Johnson came in to start the 4th quarter.

- Rainey whiffed bad on cut block (called for chop which was a bad call but nonethless, pass protection has been an issue from what I've seen).

- Nice toe tap by Clemons on 3rd and 29 to put us in FG range.

- Called for too many men again.

- Terrence Frederick got beat up by Griff Whalen. Still though, looked like a solid open field tackler on special teams.

- Josh Victorian jumping comeback on his INT.

- O-line with 5:30 left in the game. Beachum, Ryan Lee, Malecki, C. Scott, Essex

- Did quite a bit of pulling with Lee.

- Drew Butler the holder throughout the game.

- Solid showing from Hrapmann.

- Lots of offensive lineman looked stiff. Adams, Essex, Beachum were all way too upright throughout.

- Dwyer definitely looks to be carrying his weight well and is showing a burst. Nice surprise.

- Didn't get a great read on Colon but I didn't see any issues with him.

- Don't think a lot of the back end WRs played. Beiler, Stewart, Young, Cox. Bit of a telling sign at this point.

- Did not see Kyle Jolly play either.

Sacks

- 1st and 10, 6:31 left in 3rd. Keep seven vs five. PA, pull guard to try and sell run but it doesn't work. Tough to pin it on him but Beachum was the pulling guard that had a shot on the OLB. Couldn't push him upfield. Full on Beachum.

- 3rd and 6, :45 left in 3rd. Keep five vs four. Adams bull rushed by OLB. Full on Adams.

- 2nd and 10, 11:42 4th. Six vs four. Adams beat on spin move. Full on Adams.

Sack Counter (Game)

Mike Adams: 2
Kelvin Beachum: 1

Sack Counter (Preseason)

Mike Adams: 4.5
Kyle Jolly: 1.5
Kelvin Beachum: 1
Ramon Foster: .5
Trai Essex: .5
David DeCastro: .5
Chris Scott: .5

----------

Littler clearer picture of depth chart. I'll be updating my 53 man roster too.

QB: Ben, Leftwich, Batch, Johnson
RB: Mendenhall, Redman, Dwyer, Rainey, Batch, Ford
FB: Will Johnson, McCoy
TE: Miller, Pope, Saunders, McCoy, Paulson
WR: Wallace, A.Brown, Sanders, Cotchery, D.Williams, Gilreath, Clemons, Maze, Beiler, Stewart, Young
LT: Starks, Adams, Essex, Beachum
LG: Colon, Foster, Beachum, Lee
C: Pouncey, Legursky, Malecki
RG: DeCastro, Legursky, Chris Scott
RT: Gilbert, Essex, Chris Scott, Jolly

DE: Keisel, Hood, Heyward, Bryant, Woods, Blanc, Ike I, Stoller
NT: Hampton, McLendon, Ta'amu, Weston
OLB: Harrison, Woodley, Carter, Worilds, Adrian Robinson, Ivy B. Johnson, Hicks
ILB: Timmons, Foote, Slyvester, Spence, B. Johnson, Baker, M. McFadden
CB: Taylor, Lewis, C. Allen, C.Brown, W. McFadden, Frederick, Victorian, Freeman
FS: Clark, Mundy, Golden
SS: Polamalu, Mundy, W.Allen, Cromartie-Smith, Rolle
K: Suisham, Hrapmann
P: Butler, Kapinos
LS: Warren, Katula

KR: Rainey, Gilreath
PR: Rainey, Maze

zulater
08-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Called for too many men again.

That was because Goodell's replacement refs didn't stop the Colts from making substitutions after taking the huddle. LeBeau was livid about this, the Colts got away with it multiple times, and the Steelers defense was responding to those illegal substitutions.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 01:08 PM
whoa 8 cornerbacks? How many do we usually carry? And also who was the other guy blocking for AB on his touchdown next to Heath Miller

Chidi29
08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
whoa 8 cornerbacks? How many do we usually carry? And also who was the other guy blocking for AB on his touchdown next to Heath Miller

That's not my 53. Just a depth chart. 53 is on another thread. Think I have 5 five now.

Pope was the other blocker.

Steeltreal
08-22-2012, 02:38 PM
refs have been horrible with ineligables downfield when qbs have held onto the ball.

Count Steeler
08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks again Chidi. Doesn't look good for Beachum. Hope he has an impressive game against the Bills this Saturday.

Seems like Chris Scott is quietly having an efficient pre season.

The Duke
08-22-2012, 03:49 PM
That's not my 53. Just a depth chart. 53 is on another thread. Think I have 5 five now.

Pope was the other blocker.

speaking of Pope, what's your take on him? Think Peele can beat him out this late?

I've seen some really good plays out of him, but some really lackluster effort on others

Chidi29
08-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks again Chidi. Doesn't look good for Beachum. Hope he has an impressive game against the Bills this Saturday.

Seems like Chris Scott is quietly having an efficient pre season.

I dunno about Scott. He hasn't done anything bad, but the fact he was out there so late with the back end of the roster players can't bode well for him. I think we're done with him and there really isn't any room for him anymore.

Agree with Beachum. Struggled a lot more than what I thought/hoped.

Chidi29
08-22-2012, 03:55 PM
speaking of Pope, what's your take on him? Think Peele can beat him out this late?

I've seen some really good plays out of him, but some really lackluster effort on others

Nothing terrible but nothing special either. Can use his size to get in the way as a run blocker but isn't a mauler. Not on Heath's level, that's for sure.

Doubt Peelle beats him out. Pope knows Haley offense as well as anyone. Peelle played pretty well on short notice Sunday but it's tough to make the roster so late in camp.

GodfatherofSoul
08-22-2012, 03:57 PM
I think they miss that call a lot w/ normal refs.