PDA

View Full Version : Redman: "I feel 10 times better"

Psycho Ward 86
08-21-2012, 10:08 PM
http://blog.steelers.com/2012/08/21/redman-i-feel-10-times-better/

Running back Isaac Redman returned to practice on Tuesday, coming back from what tests showed was a hip injury.

“I feel a lot better,” said Redman. “I was getting treatment all last week. I feel 10 times better. It doesn’t hurt me as much, just doing normal things like getting up and getting out of bed. I hope it doesn’t re-aggravate or come back.

“Moving sideways triggered it and it hurt. Right now my movement is feeling good. The trainers did a good job last week getting me ready.”

Redman plans on taking it slow getting back into practice, gradually working his way back with his eye on playing against Denver. But he also knows he still has a lot to prove.

“Around here it’s what have you done for me lately so you don’t want to get too comfortable sitting back not doing anything,” said Redman. “At the same time you don’t want to re-aggravate it and have it linger for the season.

“I want to do as much as I can do without triggering it, without making it worse. Hopefully each day I can keep getting better and better and I accept that.”

Redman hated being a spectator against the Indianapolis Colts, last week, having a hard time just standing on the sidelines.

“It’s the first game I sat out since I have been here,” said Redman. “It’s hard sitting on the sidelines and not being out there helping the team win. This is my big opportunity and something like this happens.

“It doesn’t hurt as bad as if it was Denver on Sunday night. That would be a different story. Hopefully I can get back and get ready for the Denver game.”

Lou Donny
08-22-2012, 07:37 AM
http://blog.steelers.com/2012/08/21/redman-i-feel-10-times-better/

Running back Isaac Redman returned to practice on Tuesday, coming back from what tests showed was a hip injury.

“I feel a lot better,” said Redman. “I was getting treatment all last week. I feel 10 times better. It doesn’t hurt me as much, just doing normal things like getting up and getting out of bed. I hope it doesn’t re-aggravate or come back.

“Moving sideways triggered it and it hurt. Right now my movement is feeling good. The trainers did a good job last week getting me ready.”

Redman plans on taking it slow getting back into practice, gradually working his way back with his eye on playing against Denver. But he also knows he still has a lot to prove.

“Around here it’s what have you done for me lately so you don’t want to get too comfortable sitting back not doing anything,” said Redman. “At the same time you don’t want to re-aggravate it and have it linger for the season.

“I want to do as much as I can do without triggering it, without making it worse. Hopefully each day I can keep getting better and better and I accept that.”

Redman hated being a spectator against the Indianapolis Colts, last week, having a hard time just standing on the sidelines.

“It’s the first game I sat out since I have been here,” said Redman. “It’s hard sitting on the sidelines and not being out there helping the team win. This is my big opportunity and something like this happens.

“It doesn’t hurt as bad as if it was Denver on Sunday night. That would be a different story. Hopefully I can get back and get ready for the Denver game.”

I dont like the sounds of that at all. If he is not 100%, i will feel bad for Red...you can tell he really prepared this off season

Count Steeler
08-22-2012, 09:39 AM
Hmmm, wonder if being the poster boy for the throw backs had anything to do with his injury. Maybe those uniforms are cursed. :chuckle:

suitanim
08-22-2012, 10:02 AM
Durability was always going to be the question with Redman. This ain't a great first answer...

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 10:52 AM
Durability was always going to be the question with Redman. This ain't a great first answer...

Why, because he's physical? He hasnt shown any signs of being injury prone at all except for this in 2 seasons, plus a partial preseason

suitanim
08-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Why, because he's physical? He hasnt shown any signs of being injury prone at all except for this in 2 seasons, plus a partial preseason

He becomes the presumptive starter and..........................injures his groin.

Dude only has 162 carries in his entire career. "Seasons" is a misnomer. There are backs who play for 10 years who only ever carry the ball 200 times. And "physical" backs (which is silly...there aren't any RB's at this level who aren't physical...nobody gets pounded like a RB does...I'll interpret that as "big back") are the ones who seem to get dinged up the most.

I understand people want to cling to the great hope that Redman is better than Mendenhall, but we have no apples-to-apples to go by. I have a sneaking suspicion that Redman is just not the kind of back than can carry the ball 250-300 times a season.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 11:37 AM
He becomes the presumptive starter and..........................injures his groin.

Dude only has 162 carries in his entire career. "Seasons" is a misnomer. There are backs who play for 10 years who only ever carry the ball 200 times. And "physical" backs (which is silly...there aren't any RB's at this level who aren't physical...nobody gets pounded like a RB does...I'll interpret that as "big back") are the ones who seem to get dinged up the most.

I understand people want to cling to the great hope that Redman is better than Mendenhall, but we have no apples-to-apples to go by. I have a sneaking suspicion that Redman is just not the kind of back than can carry the ball 250-300 times a season.

Where did you get the idea that redman is more talented than mendenhall? he's simply been outplaying him for 2 seasons behind the same crappy o-line. mendenhall is still a young gun, he'll keep getting better as long as that acl doesnt get the best of him. He's had far more carries in single sittings than he has in that one preseason game and hasnt even shown up as a blip on the injury report until now. Does Preacher need to whip out the Sky is Falling Cat for you over Redman's huuuge injury history? :lol:

suitanim
08-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Jesus. Here we go again.

Redman comes in with fresh legs to spell other backs. He averages 5 carries a game (162 carries over 32 games). His YPC is 4.4 compared to 4.1 for Mendenhall, who, as it so happens, averages 17 carries a game. In 2009, Mendenhall carried the ball 242 times and averaged 4.6 yards a carry. So to claim that Redman has been "outplaying Mendenhall" strains credulity to the breaking point. Especially since two year ago Redman only carried the ball 52 times, or 3 times a game. Even if one really WANTED to make a statistical comparison, the data just aren't there. There isn't enough from Redman to make any real comparison.

I don't WANT the guy to fail, but I am saying that so far his tenure as feature back hasn't been great. He's had 5 carries for 14 yards so far in 2012 (2.8 YPC), and then he got injured. And he's a bigger back at 230 lbs, and traditionally the bigger a guy is over 220, the more inclined he is to be injured. A lot.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 12:16 PM
Even if one really WANTED to make a statistical comparison, the data just aren't there. There isn't enough from Redman to make any real comparison.

so you're a hypocrite on condemning Redman as injury prone is what you're saying?

i agree with your point though. i just cant take it seriously when you contradict yourself :lol:

suitanim
08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
so you're a hypocrite on condemning Redman as injury prone is what you're saying?

i agree with your point though. i just cant take it seriously when you contradict yourself :lol:

WTF are you talking about?

See, this is what happens when people let emotion cloud their judgment. You want to prove your past idea that Redman is better than Mendenhall (just because he's bigger and less shifty) so much so that you are willing to bend logic like Gumby and make claims that just can't be made, and ignore other facts that are unavoidable. The FACT is, big backs don't last. How many can you even name that play for more than a year or two? Bettis was the rarest of the rare, and just because we had the one after they broke the mold it does not follow that the team can ONLY have success with a big back.

Redman has played sparingly, situationally, and is unproven on the big stage. He is a bigger back, and bigger backs are injured disproportionately. There is some anecdotal evidence that he could have success by running more north-to-south, but we don't and can't know that UNTIL HE ACTUALLY CARRIES THE LOAD for more than 5 carries a game. That's just too small of a statistical sample to matter. You can exaggerate what's there all you like, and trump up the limited sample into something bigger than it actually is, but the sample is still too small.

I'm sorry that you're getting all upset because I have the (cough cough) temerity to actually disagree with you, but, again, facts are facts. Until Redman is proven, he is unproven, and that includes the durability issue. Getting your panties all in a bunch at me for simply pointing that out changes absolutely nothing...

X-Terminator
08-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Where did you get the idea that redman is more talented than mendenhall? he's simply been outplaying him for 2 seasons behind the same crappy o-line. mendenhall is still a young gun, he'll keep getting better as long as that acl doesnt get the best of him. He's had far more carries in single sittings than he has in that one preseason game and hasnt even shown up as a blip on the injury report until now. Does Preacher need to whip out the Sky is Falling Cat for you over Redman's huuuge injury history? :lol:

It's easy to "outplay" someone when you only get a few carries a game.

The fact of the matter is that the jury is still out on Redman, despite so many fans wanting him to eventually take over for Mendenhall. He simply does not have the history, because he has never carried the load at this level. He will get a chance to prove himself, but getting hurt is not a good start.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 12:53 PM
"Even if one really WANTED to make a statistical comparison, the data just aren't there. There isn't enough from Redman to make any real comparison."

This is the first time he's had an injury of any sort. There is no injury history. His hip hurts a little. That's it. You're making an assumption off of, "data that just isnt there." "There just isnt enough from Redman" to make any sort of conclusion about his injury. Kind of hypocritical for telling me im judging off of skimped data when youre doing the same. Duh.

Lol so why are you saying Redman is proven injury prone from such a small sample (to be exact, 1 arguably 2 incidences of injury), when at the same time you're saying he is unproven more effective than Mendenhall because he has such a small sample to compare accurately with.

My logic is simple and unbiased. Redman is not injury prone unless proven over and over again, and Redman is not less effective than Mendenhall unless proven over and over again. Pretty easy logic. Let's be friends here :)

fansince'76
08-22-2012, 12:57 PM

The fact of the matter is that the jury is still out on Redman, despite so many fans wanting him to eventually take over for Mendenhall. He simply does not have the history, because he has never carried the load at this level. He will get a chance to prove himself, but getting hurt is not a good start.

Suddenness and glide! :chuckle:

Devilsdancefloor
08-22-2012, 02:25 PM
Suddenness and glide! :chuckle:

Oh no gliding that makes it hurt right now, so just suddenness :lol:

suitanim
08-22-2012, 03:41 PM
"Even if one really WANTED to make a statistical comparison, the data just aren't there. There isn't enough from Redman to make any real comparison."

This is the first time he's had an injury of any sort. There is no injury history. His hip hurts a little. That's it. You're making an assumption off of, "data that just isnt there." "There just isnt enough from Redman" to make any sort of conclusion about his injury. Kind of hypocritical for telling me im judging off of skimped data when youre doing the same. Duh.

Lol so why are you saying Redman is proven injury prone from such a small sample (to be exact, 1 arguably 2 incidences of injury), when at the same time you're saying he is unproven more effective than Mendenhall because he has such a small sample to compare accurately with.

My logic is simple and unbiased. Redman is not injury prone unless proven over and over again, and Redman is not less effective than Mendenhall unless proven over and over again. Pretty easy logic. Let's be friends here :)

I was talking about on-field performance. And you know I was. Nice try, though...

Redman as a performer on the field is unproven. Redman as a durable back is unproven. Getting a groin injury (averaging of 5 carries a game prior) after the first game you had 14 carries is not a good sign.

That's all.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Redman as a performer on the field is unproven. Redman as a durable back is unproven.

That's all.

He hasnt let us down where mendenhall has yet. The jury is out until he fails consistently.

suitanim
08-22-2012, 04:09 PM
He hasnt let us down where mendenhall has yet. The jury is out until he fails consistently.

How in the Hell has Mendenhall "let us down"? By carrying the ball 700 more times and averaging .3 yards a carry less while doing it?

You need to stop. Now. You're digging yourself a deeper hole with each post.

steeldawg
08-22-2012, 04:21 PM

That just crazy talk, Redman didnt make it through his first preseason as the starter, To say he has been outplaying mendy for the last 2 seasons makes no sense, mendys performance even with injuries has far outweighed redmans.

Austin87
08-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Jesus. Here we go again.

Don't do that please.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Don't do that please.

lol

HollywoodSteel
08-22-2012, 04:56 PM
Mendy seems to bug people because he is not great at anything. He's pretty fast and he's pretty strong, but his skills in those areas aren't good enough to overcome a seeming lack of vision and force of will. We watch him dance behind the line where Redman plows right through and at least gets something rather than take a loss. It's like, if Mendy had Adrian Peterson's mental attitude and desire, even without Peterson's skill set, he'd be the guy we want him to be. Maybe that's asking too much.

I believe Suit is right that fans romanticize Redman because they hope he is the answer, but the fact is, we just don't know. If you gave me a choice between a healthy Mendy or a healthy Redman as our starter behind our new line, that can hopefully provide at least a couple of holes so he doesn't have to dance so much, I'd have to go with Mendy.

Whyant5
08-22-2012, 08:05 PM
I am hoping he is able to get back to 95-100%. This is his chance with Mendy out to prove himself and make a name.

Polamalu Princess
08-22-2012, 08:09 PM
Big Red is a player that I want to see do big things this year. I pray that he is 100%.

Devilsdancefloor
08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
id like t see more of this kid ford as well, but as for redman he always seems to be leaning forward and gets a yard or more. We see mendy fumbling in the SB and reman scoring against the ratbirds a few years ago to win, so i think there is that perception of the 2

GBMelBlount
08-22-2012, 08:54 PM

It is arguably easier. Comparing a feature back getting 225 carries and a back up with 110 carries is not apples and apples.

No one is arguing that Redman did not look good last year but the bottom line is you never know for sure until they are getting the 200+ carries as the feature back.

Though I personally feel he can do it the thought of having Redman's pounding AND Mendy's quickness (+ Rainey) is exciting to think about

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
It is arguably easier. Comparing a feature back getting 225 carries and a back up with 110 carries is not apples and apples.

No one is arguing that Redman did not look good last year but the bottom line is you never know for sure until they are getting the 200+ carries as the feature back.

Though I personally feel he can do it the thought of having Redman's pounding AND Mendy's quickness (+ Rainey) is exciting to think about

^this is what i was trying to say. And yeah, you gotta agree with Haley's sentiment that he's excited that we have so much variety in our RB stable. I think this acl injury might become a blessing in disguise for mendenhall. i know when i tore my acl i didnt trust it completely for a long time, even when it was virtually completely healed. im sure many of you have had that same personal experience. im thinking itll cause mendenhall to run more downhill instead of trying to make so many multi-cut efforts since his lateral agility will be hampered for some of if not all of mendenhall's playing time this year. that compounded with what looks like is going to be an improved o-line and mendenhall might truly look like the runningback he was in college. i remember mike mayock pimping johnathan stewart and mendenhall as the best backs in the draft other than darren mcfadden at the time and i think he's right. mendenhall's REAL breakout season and day of reckoning will come soon imo. he's been through an awful lot of adversity for a 1st round running back but things seem to be falling into place so that he has a good chance to live up to his potential.

GoSlash27
08-22-2012, 10:27 PM
Redzone will be just fine. His problem isn't with injuries, it's with knowing when to end a play. That compares pretty decently with Mendy's problem of not knowing when to *start* one.

HollywoodSteel
08-22-2012, 10:53 PM
^this is what i was trying to say. And yeah, you gotta agree with Haley's sentiment that he's excited that we have so much variety in our RB stable. I think this acl injury might become a blessing in disguise for mendenhall. i know when i tore my acl i didnt trust it completely for a long time, even when it was virtually completely healed. im sure many of you have had that same personal experience. im thinking itll cause mendenhall to run more downhill instead of trying to make so many multi-cut efforts since his lateral agility will be hampered for some of if not all of mendenhall's playing time this year. that compounded with what looks like is going to be an improved o-line and mendenhall might truly look like the runningback he was in college. i remember mike mayock pimping johnathan stewart and mendenhall as the best backs in the draft other than darren mcfadden at the time and i think he's right. mendenhall's REAL breakout season and day of reckoning will come soon imo. he's been through an awful lot of adversity for a 1st round running back but things seem to be falling into place so that he has a good chance to live up to his potential.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying that Mendy is better than Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and Jamaal Charles? And I'm just talking about the guys selected after Mendy in that draft class. I might even throw Peyton Hillis into the conversation if we didn't all know what a douchebag he is.

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but are you saying that Mendy is better than Ray Rice, Matt Forte, Chris Johnson, and Jamaal Charles? And I'm just talking about the guys selected after Mendy in that draft class. I might even throw Peyton Hillis into the conversation if we didn't all know what a douchebag he is.

oh dear, i thought stewart and mendenhall were from the '09 class. my apologies.

suitanim
08-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Anyway, Getting back to big backs and injuries, Redman is kind of right on the border of being a really big back, so he might be okay. I think of guys like Michael Turner (5' 10" 247) and Jerome Bettis when I think BIG backs, and it's rare for guys to last like that. Turner has been in the league for 8 years, but he's only really seen heavy action for 3 of those (with over 300 attempts in 08, 10, and 11). Others I think of like Brandon Jacobs (6'4" 264) get injured all the time, and HAVE to split carries or he would break down quickly. In seven years, he's only had to carry the ball more than 200 times in 3 of those, and I believe he's injured right now. I just think that Redman will serve the team best in a RBBC role, rather than carrying the whole load himself, and I'm worried that if he does have to be the featured back for too long, he MIGHT break down. We just don't know. It's more likely that he is the rule, not the exception...

GBMelBlount
08-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Anyway, Getting back to big backs and injuries, Redman is kind of right on the border of being a really big back, so he might be okay. I think of guys like Michael Turner (5' 10" 247) and Jerome Bettis when I think BIG backs, and it's rare for guys to last like that. Turner has been in the league for 8 years, but he's only really seen heavy action for 3 of those (with over 300 attempts in 08, 10, and 11). Others I think of like Brandon Jacobs (6'4" 264) get injured all the time, and HAVE to split carries or he would break down quickly. In seven years, he's only had to carry the ball more than 200 times in 3 of those, and I believe he's injured right now.

I just think that Redman will serve the team best in a RBBC role, rather than carrying the whole load himself, and I'm worried that if he does have to be the featured back for too long, he MIGHT break down. We just don't know. It's more likely that he is the rule, not the exception...

Even a scenario such as Redman & Mendy splitting carries at around 150 a piece w/ a 3rd back like Rainey in the mix as well work.

Fresh legs and less carries = less chance of breakdown and injury.

Psycho Ward 86
08-23-2012, 11:12 AM
i want Redman carrying the load for at least most of the season. RB's coming off acl tears can be a crapshoot as far as production goes and i dont want to see him get reinjured again or else he might not scare the front office from giving him a long term contract.

suitanim
08-23-2012, 11:19 AM
I have no problem with that scenario. If Rainey is what we think he is, 5-7 touches (via RB, Xback, or WR) a game works for me.

Lou Donny
08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
I think the RB's we have compliment each other

polamalubeast
08-23-2012, 01:38 PM
Mendenhall, Redman unsure when they'll be healthy

Presumptive starter Isaac Redman, meanwhile, isn't feeling 100 percent after taking an MRI on his hip.

"I'm a downhill runner and take a lot of pounding," Redman said. "I'm not really sure how the hip is going to hold up or if it's going to hurt at all, or if I'm going to be fine. I'm just going to go day to day and see how it feels. It's pretty much a pain-tolerance thing. It might nag me throughout the year. I'm just going to have to fight through the pain."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000053153/article/mendenhall-redman-unsure-when-theyll-be-healthy?module=HP11_headline_stack