PDA

View Full Version : A peek into Mike Wallace's 2012 season?

zulater
08-20-2012, 08:52 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8285546/desean-jackson-philadelphia-eagles-give-full-effort-2011

DeSean Jackson told ESPN's Lisa Salters that he didn't give a full effort last season because he didn't want to get injured before signing a new contract.

When asked about instances when his effort was questioned, Jackson said: "I let it get to me, even though I tried not to let it. I was trying to protect myself from getting hurt -- now I'm just giving it all."

After receiving the Eagles' franchise tender, Jackson signed a five-year, $51 million extension with $15 million guaranteed in March. Jackson said he was "happy to finally get the contract. I felt with what I had done for the team, I deserved it."

:binky:

zulater
08-20-2012, 09:13 PM
So no one else fears this is the sort of season we'll be getting from Wallace? By holding out as long as he already has, and by turning down the money he was offered, you get the sense that there's no W-A-L-L-A-C-E in team.

Count Steeler
08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I don't think Wallace has said enough to conclude where his head is really at. I would hope that if he comes to play half heartedly, Tomlin would just sit his ass on the bench.

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 09:27 PM
I'd say the last week that Wallace could have a bad season like Chris Johnson and Desean Jackson in 2011 or an injury like Revis in 2010

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
I would not be surprised to see a meltdown between Wallace and Haley on the sidelines this year!

Steeltreal
08-20-2012, 10:30 PM
thats peek into .. blame Woodley ;)

The Duke
08-20-2012, 11:56 PM
I would not be surprised to see a meltdown between Wallace and Haley on the sidelines this year!

you really think Tomlin would allow something like that to go down on his sidelines?

not likely at all

Craic
08-21-2012, 02:16 AM
There's a good bet we'd get something like that.

Not because Wallace is being childish - reread what DeSean Jackson said.

let it get to me, even though I tried not to let it. I was trying to protect myself from getting hurt

It is something that is always in the back of your head. "If I get hurt here, there goes 10 million on my next contract." How can you not have that affect how you play the game?

Again, it's not because Wallace is being childish, or that he wants to tank it, or take it easy, it's the fear of getting injured that tamps down on everything else. The sad thing is, that fear often times is exactly what does get you injured.

zulater
08-21-2012, 05:34 AM
There's a good bet we'd get something like that.

Not because Wallace is being childish - reread what DeSean Jackson said.

It is something that is always in the back of your head. "If I get hurt here, there goes 10 million on my next contract." How can you not have that affect how you play the game?

Again, it's not because Wallace is being childish, or that he wants to tank it, or take it easy, it's the fear of getting injured that tamps down on everything else. The sad thing is, that fear often times is exactly what does get you injured.

One huge difference is that the Steelers tendered Wallace at 2.7 million as opposed to the 560 thousand they could have, and I think that's what Jackson played for last year. So hopefully 2.7 million is enough to have Wallace give a full effort.

But regardless, I think it's inexcusable for a player in a team sport not to go at it 100% in a meaningful game. It's disrespectful to your teammates to go out there and play half-hearted.

zulater
08-21-2012, 05:35 AM
thats peek into .. blame Woodley ;)

Touche! :lol: