PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Depot: Steelers LB Larry Foote Might Face Fine For Hit On Austin Collie

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 07:24 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/steelers-lb-larry-foote-might-face-fine-for-hit-on-austin-collie/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

zulater
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/4/15/3946751/108112-330-0.jpg

McKayla Maroney disaproves

CPanther95
08-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Anyone that has played a single year of Pop Warner football can look at the replay and see that he had perfect positioning to drill him for the tackle. Then when someone else tackled him just before impact, he went upright and tried to minimize contact.

zulater
08-20-2012, 07:58 PM
Anyone that has played a single year of Pop Warner football can look at the replay and see that he had perfect positioning to drill him for the tackle. Then when someone else tackled him just before impact, he went upright and tried to minimize contact.

That eliminates Goodell right there.

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2012, 07:58 PM
i can understand this one. Foote really threw that forearm into Collie's head. Even if the ball was caught that's illegal. Fair, but oh boy, i miss the days when fines werent one of the top topics of discussion around NFL boards...

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2012, 08:05 PM
There's no story here. Of course it's up to the league to determine if a fine will be given. In this case, there's nothing to fine. Larry was coming in at Collie's chest and Collie went down with the tackle from Ike right into the forearm. Larry even spun off but there really wasn't much that he could do.

steelerdiva
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
*Sigh* Here we go again...

fansince'76
08-20-2012, 10:14 PM
If that gets fined, that's it for me. I'm beyond sick of the 100-yard Arena League powderpuff bullshit. I'll find something else to do with my Sundays during the Fall.

Chidi29
08-20-2012, 10:19 PM
If that gets fined, that's it for me. I'm past sick of the bullshit.

What does that mean?

fansince'76
08-20-2012, 10:21 PM
What does that mean?

Check my edit.

Chidi29
08-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Oh....I see.

bayz101
08-20-2012, 10:28 PM
If this gets a fine, Goodell can shit in his hat. NO EXCUSES can be made for this. None at all.

bayz101
08-20-2012, 10:30 PM
If you can't review a touchdown call in which a quarterback SLID INTO THE FREAKING ENDZONE, I don't see how you can sit down and even CONSIDER fining someone because of an indecent like this! It's football, shit happens! I sure as hell don't think he did anything on purpose.

vader29
08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
http://www.nerdsonsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/GODell1.jpg

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 11:02 PM
I need to see a full video of the hit, but just from looking at the picture...wow. If that gets fined, then I won't give a damn that I'll miss most of the Steelers games due to my schedule. I might just quit watching football altogether.

Chidi29
08-20-2012, 11:15 PM
All right everyone, put down the pitchforks. Nothing has happened yet.

fansince'76
08-20-2012, 11:25 PM
I need to see a full video of the hit, but just from looking at the picture...wow. If that gets fined, then I won't give a damn that I'll miss most of the Steelers games due to my schedule. I might just quit watching football altogether.

Here's a link (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000052083/Collie-leaves-game-with-concussion-symptoms).

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 11:30 PM
Here's a link (http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000052083/Collie-leaves-game-with-concussion-symptoms).

Thanks. Yep, if he gets fined for that, then I'm done.

Galax Steeler
08-21-2012, 03:36 AM
What is up with this if he had took his helmet to him I could see it. In my opinion should not be fined and being a Steeler has nothing to do with it.

NJarhead
08-21-2012, 08:38 AM
http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/4/15/3946751/108112-330-0.jpg

McKayla Maroney disaproves

Seconded

Nadroj 20
08-21-2012, 08:48 AM
Geez if that gets fined we are basically losing two members of the SU staff? Give it up guys you are taking this WAY to seriously. I mean I understand you hating these fines but to say I'm done? Oh THAT WILL TEACH GOODELL!!!

You seriously can't still watch and enjoy the team you love?

bayz101
08-21-2012, 09:07 AM
I honestly wouldn't pay attention to anything that's said in this thread. We're all pissed at even the THOUGHT of the hit being REVIEWED and if a fine is handed about, chances are, all hell will break loose. I've told myself twice now that i'm DONE if he's fine, but even I know i'm bullshittin. If it actually happens, i'll just bitch and moan and PRAY that Foote goes for an appeal.

Nadroj 20
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
I honestly wouldn't pay attention to anything that's said in this thread. We're all pissed at even the THOUGHT of the hit being REVIEWED and if a fine is handed about, chances are, all hell will break loose. I've told myself twice now that i'm DONE if he's fine, but even I know i'm bullshittin. If it actually happens, i'll just bitch and moan and PRAY that Foote goes for an appeal.

Well I hope they aren't serious. I understand the frustration and all but not to the extent of not watching the game and more specifically the Steelers.

X-Terminator
08-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Geez if that gets fined we are basically losing two members of the SU staff? Give it up guys you are taking this WAY to seriously. I mean I understand you hating these fines but to say I'm done? Oh THAT WILL TEACH GOODELL!!!

You seriously can't still watch and enjoy the team you love?

I'm sick of this move toward pussyball, where basically you can't touch any receiver or QB without getting a freaking fine. My passion for the sport has already been waning for the past several years because of this bullshit. All this does is put another nail in the coffin for me. I've already stopped giving the league my money - everything Steelers-related I've gotten in the past 2 years have been gifts. I have simply had enough.

Nadroj 20
08-21-2012, 09:21 AM
I'm sick of this move toward pussyball, where basically you can't touch any receiver or QB without getting a freaking fine. My passion for the sport has already been waning for the past several years because of this bullshit. All this does is put another nail in the coffin for me. I've already stopped giving the league my money - everything Steelers-related I've gotten in the past 2 years have been gifts. I have simply had enough.

Well if it is something you don't love or want anymore then ok. I guess I'm looking at it from the point of still being a fan of the Steelers first and will buy stuff because I like to support and wear merchandise of my team. I also don't think my money is effecting the NFL as a whole too much lol. But anyway I hope you'd reconsider and also hope that wouldn't mean you'd be around here less. (goes for fansince'76 as well)

suitanim
08-21-2012, 10:20 AM
Ummmmmm.............no.

That cannot, in any sane and rational universe, be construed as a fineable hit. If it is, then basically defenders will not be able to tackle with anything but their legs...Goodell will love the 300-296 scores, I guess, but it won't much fun for fans of defense.

steelpride12
08-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Can we just fine Harrison for it as well. I'm sure he was giving Collie a dirty look from the sidelines.

NJarhead
08-21-2012, 12:14 PM
Can we just fine Harrison for it as well. I'm sure he was giving Collie a dirty look from the sidelines.

:rofl2:

BRILLIANT!!! I'm voting this comment of the damn year!

suitanim
08-21-2012, 12:18 PM
I cannot decide which of these two things is more stupid, the possibility of Foote being fined for literally nothing, or the NY cops investigating bacon on the ground as a hate crime.

Seriously, what happened? Where did we go wrong as a society?

Count Steeler
08-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I cannot decide which of these two things is more stupid, the possibility of Foote being fined for literally nothing, or the NY cops investigating bacon on the ground as a hate crime.

Seriously, what happened? Where did we go wrong as a society?

Not enough manual labor jobs to keep the masses tired. We have way too much time on our hands to analyze every friggin bullshit incident.

fansince'76
08-21-2012, 12:26 PM
All right everyone, put down the pitchforks. Nothing has happened yet.

Just the fact that we're seriously discussing the possibility of Foote being fined in this case indicates to me that something is very, very wrong.

suitanim
08-21-2012, 12:29 PM
I'm being 100% serious when I say this. IF this happens. IF he is fined, we need to start a petition. We need to forward it around to other boards, even Steelersfever and Steel Nation...it's bigger than the disputes between ourselves. We need 10,000 signatures, legitimate signatures. This MUST BE ADDRESSED.

This asshat Goodell is killing our game, and it needs addressed.

Austin87
08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
This asshat Goodell is killing our game, and it needs addressed.

QFT

ALLD
08-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Not a fine able hit.

Craic
08-21-2012, 03:08 PM
In the game day thread, I said that it was not a hit that he could be fined on, because it was a head to thigh hit as the guy was falling and Foote was pulling away.

When I watched it on the replay however, I saw that I was wrong. It was a forearm to the head. Those have been fined pretty much every time it happens. So I'm snot sure why anyone here would think it shouldn't happen this time. As for it being "too fast" or "banning hard hits, etc., sorry, but your all wrong here. All he has to do is come in with his arms open to help wrap the guy up, instead of his arms in front of him to deliver an ESPN hit instead of a football tackle.

The day players start tackling rather than trying to get on ESPN, is the day 90% of the fines go away.

EDIT: I recognize he was pulling up from the hit as the other guy was falling. If that's taken into account, then there shouldn't be a fine. However, it seems that the league isgoing with the "You are responsible for your body at all times" mentality of hitting.

GBMelBlount
08-21-2012, 03:56 PM
I would imagine Goodell's panties are a bit moist over this...

X-Terminator
08-21-2012, 05:08 PM
EDIT: I recognize he was pulling up from the hit as the other guy was falling. If that's taken into account, then there shouldn't be a fine. However, it seems that the league isgoing with the "You are responsible for your body at all times" mentality of hitting.

This part of your post is the only one that is relevant here. There is no way in hell that was either intentional or even reckless. If Collie isn't going down, he gets hit in the shoulder or chest. It does not deserve a fine in any way, shape or form. The "responsibility for your own body" excuse is complete BS anyway. There are MANY instances where shit just happens.

Count Steeler
08-21-2012, 05:16 PM
When I saw the hit, it reminded me of Harrison's hit on Massaquoi, about 1 1/2 seasons ago. I think that was the weekend that spiraled into the NFL starting to fine and suspend players to the degree we find ourselves today.

In football, neither hit should be a fine. In today's NFL, I'm afraid Foote is going to pay $7500 + 5% so $7875 at least.

SMR
08-21-2012, 05:43 PM
That hit is does not deserve a fine in the least bit. Oh wait...Goodell is in power. Never mind.

bayz101
08-21-2012, 10:22 PM
If this goes down, someone needs to start a petition.

Craic
08-22-2012, 02:37 AM
This part of your post is the only one that is relevant here. There is no way in hell that was either intentional or even reckless. If Collie isn't going down, he gets hit in the shoulder or chest. It does not deserve a fine in any way, shape or form. The "responsibility for your own body" excuse is complete BS anyway. There are MANY instances where shit just happens.

No, I'm pretty sure this is pretty relevant here as well.

The day players start tackling rather than trying to get on ESPN, is the day 90% of the fines go away.

(well, actually the whole post, but this in particular).

As for being responsible for your own body, it's actually more common that you'd think in sports. 99% of the time, penalties are called on what actually happened, rather than intent, regardless of it being an instance when "shit just happens." So it seems that the league has gone that way with fines as well. Personally, I disagree with that method, but that isn't going to change much. I also think that a player who puts his head down before he gets hit should become fair game, because he has now become an aggressor as well, leading with a helmet.

But even with saying that, I stick by my quote above. The day NFL defenses get back to tackling instead of making ESPN highlights is the day fines are no longer an issue - or am I the only one who has read the repeated kvetching on this board and others about the lack of tackling?

BigNastyDefense
08-22-2012, 06:39 PM
I agree with Preacher that the day players start tackling instead of trying to make ESPN highlights is the day that 90% of the fines go away.

The problem is, the players are coached to dislodge the football from the receiver if possible. And I think that was Foote's intent coming into the hit.

It SHOULDN'T be a fine, but knowing the way the league is going and the fact that Collie got another concussion from the hit, he'll get at least the league minimum. It doesn't help that Collie is a walking concussion just waiting to happen.

Chidi29
08-22-2012, 06:41 PM
The problem is, the players are coached to dislodge the football from the receiver if possible. And I think that was Foote's intent coming into the hit.

Intent is not judged. It's supposed to be treated as a "black and white" situation. Either you hit his helmet or you didn't. And Foote did.

BigNastyDefense
08-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Intent is not judged. It's supposed to be treated as a "black and white" situation. Either you hit his helmet or you didn't. And Foote did.

I know that, I was talking about if players would just wrap up and tackle instead of going for the blowup hit, however they are coached to do that so they dislodge the ball.

Craic
08-23-2012, 05:55 PM

Exactly. I completely agree with you and agree that under that method, it probably should be a fine. I do however, think that if there's an obvious attempt to pull up, or the player presents his helmet like he Collie did, then it should be voided.

In short, it's like skating with your head down in hockey. If you're willing to put your head down like that, then it's your own fault when you get your lights knocked out. At some point, the players getting hit have to take the responsibility to not (purposefully) put their heads in such a dangerous positions as well.

smokin3000gt
08-23-2012, 06:21 PM
Guys maybe I'm missing something but we are getting all revved up over here about nothing. From what I understand, coach was asked if it was a clean hit or how he felt about it blah blah blah and he basically said it was up to the league. Then SD has to turn that into a headline to get everyone all fired up and a ton of clicks/ad revenue because "Coach says rule enforcement for completely legitimate hits is up to the league" doesn't stir the pot like "Foot may face fine for text book tackle". Let's all relax a little and wait to see fire before we run for the water hose.

suitanim
08-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Guys maybe I'm missing something but we are getting all revved up over here about nothing. From what I understand, coach was asked if it was a clean hit or how he felt about it blah blah blah and he basically said it was up to the league. Then SD has to turn that into a headline to get everyone all fired up and a ton of clicks/ad revenue because "Coach says rule enforcement for completely legitimate hits is up to the league" doesn't stir the pot like "Foot may face fine for text book tackle". Let's all relax a little and wait to see fire before we run for the water hose.

I disagree, but only because what obviously should NOT be an action open to being fined clearly IS open to the possibility of being fined under the Goodell regime. I take it seriously because I honestly believe there is a risk that he could very well be fined for something that should NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ever even be considered for a fine.

At this point, an action that should be shocking in it's capricious and arbitrary nature (a fine to Foote for a completely clean, legal hit) would actually NOT shock me at all, even though it's 100% wrong and illegitimate. That means I'm actually starting to become acclimatized to the new "Bradyfication" (read; destruction and ruination) of the sport I love.

The very fact that we can even be having a discussion about its possibility makes this a huge issue.

Craic
08-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I disagree, but only because what obviously should NOT be an action open to being fined clearly IS open to the possibility of being fined under the Goodell regime. I take it seriously because I honestly believe there is a risk that he could very well be fined for something that should NEVER, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ever even be considered for a fine.

At this point, an action that should be shocking in it's capricious and arbitrary nature (a fine to Foote for a completely clean, legal hit) would actually NOT shock me at all, even though it's 100% wrong and illegitimate. That means I'm actually starting to become acclimatized to the new "Bradyfication" (read; destruction and ruination) of the sport I love.

The very fact that we can even be having a discussion about its possibility makes this a huge issue.

But the thing is, Suit, Goodell is following a well established pattern set by football authorities since the turn of the last century. When there are specific plays or instances that end in player injury/death, then that play or element of the game is changed. Goodell isn't the only one who's done it, nor is he the one who has changed the game the most. So like it or not, this is just another evolution of the game.

Does this mean then . . . that you don't believe in evolution?

:boink: :chuckle: (sorry, couldn't resist the last line).

suitanim
08-25-2012, 07:21 AM
Here's what I would do then. On that play, where Collie DROPPED HIS OWN HEAD AND RAN IT INTO FOOTE'S FOREARM, I would fine and penalize Collie!

He created a danger for himself. Intent doesn't matter.

smokin3000gt
08-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Suit I was thinking the same thing. Collie needs a fine. He intentionally tried to take Foote out of the game via forearm injury. It was intentional head dropping which victimized Foote and is obviously against rules.

Craic
08-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Here's what I would do then. On that play, where Collie DROPPED HIS OWN HEAD AND RAN IT INTO FOOTE'S FOREARM, I would fine and penalize Collie!

He created a danger for himself. Intent doesn't matter.

Oh, come on! You completely ignored my poke at you! :chuckle:

I do think something has to be done about WRs and RBs that drop their head and run into people. At this point though, I don't remember if Collie was being taken to the ground or not - though I do remember him dropping his head. I'm not sure I'd fine him for that. However, I do think that someone who drops their head and hits someone else with the crown of helmet should be fined.

It's quite strange how these things keep coming back to rugby rules/ways to play the game. 1. Must make an attempt to wrap. 2. Never drop your head.

suitanim
08-25-2012, 06:48 PM
Oh, come on! You completely ignored my poke at you! :chuckle:

I do think something has to be done about WRs and RBs that drop their head and run into people. At this point though, I don't remember if Collie was being taken to the ground or not - though I do remember him dropping his head. I'm not sure I'd fine him for that. However, I do think that someone who drops their head and hits someone else with the crown of helmet should be fined.

It's quite strange how these things keep coming back to rugby rules/ways to play the game. 1. Must make an attempt to wrap. 2. Never drop your head.

What can I say?

The game is really only 40 years old, and all those old tapes of stuff before that are fakes?