PDA

View Full Version : Is the AFCN up for grabs this year?

Crow-Magnon
08-20-2012, 02:01 PM
What's your take (an honest assessment- not a homer's POV) on the Steelers chances to win the AFCN crown this season?

I easily rate Cleveland at the bottom (but progressing) and I think Cincinnati will follow the standard Bungles path of good year followed by two to three years of mediocrity, thereby being #3, but the #1 and #2 spots? I dunno.

I think the Ravens have some issues that are going to cause trouble. Lack of a strong pass rush without Terrel Suggs, a sub-standard OL with the loss of Ben Grubbs and the McKinnie-Oher revolving LT door, a lack of play from a "supposedly" very good secondary (Cary Williams should wear a T-shirt from Target instead of a Ravens jersey). I can see games that the Ravens should win getting away from them. Right now I say 10-6 at best.

What's your take on Pittsburgh's chances? Realizing that preseason is not the be-all and end-all, but it does give glimpses into who's doing what (or not doing).

I must admit- I have not been as "into" the start of the NFL season as much as I normally am. I blame all that on those damned pesky Baltimore Orioles, who for once in a LONG time are playing good baseball well into August. Normally, by OTA's my enthusiasm for baseball has shrunk from view. Actually, at this point-in-time, the Orioles and the Pirates are basically sitting in the same position as far as the AL and NL wildcard are concerned. Been a lo-o-o-ng time since 1979! :wave:

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2012, 02:09 PM
i say 10-6 or 11-5 for both the ravens and steelers. the ravens pass rush will be fine. Kindle, Upshaw, and Kruger are great talents, i expect the ravens to stay in the upper quartile in sacks and turnovers. Not sure i can say the offense has gotten any better or worse other than losing Grubbs on the line. So many talented young corners over there, i expect the 2ndary to stay one of the best if Reed is there. Question marks on both teams, but nothing that they cant overcome. The playoff picture should clear up, say, in week 17? :chuckle:

fansince'76
08-20-2012, 02:12 PM
I honestly could see the Steelers going 8-8 as easily as 12-4 this season, considering all the changes that have taken place. I'm having a really hard time getting a read on them at this point.

Edit: Like Psycho said, I think it will probably go down to the wire, with Cincy in the mix as well. The Bengals have made some disturbingly good moves of late.

steelerdude15
08-20-2012, 02:14 PM
It could be up for grabs. The Bengals, Ravens, or Steelers could win the division, but we all know its going to be extremely tough this year like it always is.

pepsyman1
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Very tough to get a handle on how this year will go Crow. Both teams have some similar personnel issues..(LT, injured linebackers). We obviously don't know how the transition will go into Todd Haley's offense or if we will have Mike Wallace to start the season (which obviously could seriously impact that same offense). We also have to see how we adapt to 3 leaders retire. I assume that the defense will generally be the defense we are used to, regardless of the changes, but will the new starters excel and make it a really strong defense or just another solid year? I'm hopeful that a good percentage of the changes come to fruition. I think the interior of our Oline will be very strong with Colon and our number 1 pick next to Pouncey. That should give Ben and Haley some good options and let the offense be versatile. I think just like the last few years, the Ravens and the Steelers will be fighting for the division while the Bengals keep hoping.

Pristas
08-20-2012, 02:59 PM
I think we are looking like an 8 and 8 team right now. Maybe 9 and 7. We have a lot of areas that need to "gel". The Offense, the O-Line, the Middle Linebackers, Our D backs. That's a lot of ifs. But, we'll bring our A game against the ratbirds for sure. (had to throw that in there). ;)

Edman
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I'm completely up in the air about the Steelers. They're a complete question mark. I don't think they will drop off too much, but at the same time they won't be as rock solid as they usually are. Watching last night's game, I finally started to feel it. The transition, the growing pains, the uncertainty, This whole team and coaching staff, Ben and Vets included, has a lot to prove of itself all over again. This team could just as easily be 8-8 as it could be 11-5.

Interesting to see where this team goes from 2012 and beyond, for sure.

The Duke
08-20-2012, 03:43 PM
I honestly could see the Steelers going 8-8 as easily as 12-4 this season, considering all the changes that have taken place. I'm having a really hard time getting a read on them at this point.

that's the way I'm seeing it this year

if all goes well this team can be unstoppable. But many players will have to grow pretty fast for that to happen. I'm hoping for the best, but prepared for an average season

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 03:47 PM
I admit that I am nervous for this year due to changes

The last time I was nervous like that,this was before the 2007 season

I did not know at this time if Tomlin would be a good HC and would be able to fill the shoes of Cowher

Also, I was nervous about Roethlisberger because of his 23 interceptions in 2006

suitanim
08-20-2012, 03:47 PM
No.

There's a clear #1 that will be battled for between the Steelers and Rats, and the Bungles and Browns will wrestle for bottom feeder status. Dalton will suffer a sophomore slump, and the Browns will be better than people think.

Pittsburgh and Baltirats will flirt with 11-5 to 13-3 between them, and Browns and Bungs will struggle between 6-10 and 8-8.

Moose
08-20-2012, 08:19 PM
From what I saw last night with the colts....LOL, I 'm going with a 7-9 season. I just don't think the offense has it this year, and with double team on Wallace, and the yearly injury to Ben, what do you have. This team needs alot of work that year after year they don't fix. Special team sux, the CB's sux, no rush on the QB from the defense, etc., etc.. Yea, you tell me how we get more than 10-11 wins. Bungals aren't a cake walk anymore. The rookie QB Luck had no problem with our defense in OUR HOUSE !!
Oh sorry, to answer the question....yes, the AFCN is up for grabs !!

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 08:28 PM
From what I saw for the packers vs the browns thursday, I 'm going with a 6-10 season for the packers.

I hate the overreaction after a preseason game or after one game....last year the steelers lost 35-7 vs ravens and the steelers finished with a record of 12-4

I hate the overreaction!

86WARD
08-20-2012, 08:49 PM
No. Ravens will unfortunately win it. Steelers will battle for a wild card.

Bluecoat96
08-20-2012, 09:30 PM
From what I saw last night with the colts....LOL, I 'm going with a 7-9 season. I just don't think the offense has it this year, and with double team on Wallace, and the yearly injury to Ben, what do you have. This team needs alot of work that year after year they don't fix. Special team sux, the CB's sux, no rush on the QB from the defense, etc., etc.. Yea, you tell me how we get more than 10-11 wins. Bungals aren't a cake walk anymore. The rookie QB Luck had no problem with our defense in OUR HOUSE !!

I don't know what the record will be next year for us. I don't think it will be 7-9, though. Ben's never had a losing record, and I don't think it will happen this year either.

I was a little nervous when Luck started doing really well last night, but I also noticed that it seemed as if a lot of 2nd teamers were playing on defense as well. Makes sense, given the injuries to the LB position, along with protecting marquee players like Troy. They seemed to sub in the "scrubs" a little earlier than usual on D. Maybe I was seeing things. I was drinking some Natty light at the time.

Arians also has a good idea of our D as well, so I would think he'd have some success, especially with a super smart kid like Luck playing QB.

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2012, 09:50 PM

warren sapp is that you?

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Why do people overreact after preseason games? WHY????? It's MEANINGLESS! You want to know how meaningless? The Lions were undefeated in the preseason when they went winless during the regular season. So for the love of God...chill out!!!

Shoes
08-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Why do people overreact after preseason games? WHY????? It's MEANINGLESS! You want to know how meaningless? The Lions were undefeated in the preseason when they went winless during the regular season. So for the love of God...chill out!!!

:chuckle: :chuckle:

Moose
08-21-2012, 06:53 AM
LMAO !! Sure did sound like the sapster....didn't it Pscho ?! Just thought I'd stir the pot alittle. I hate preseason also, but I do think it's a neccessity. We do need all 4 games, and then some. The special team did look bad though. And 7-9 looks right for now.

86WARD
08-21-2012, 07:56 AM

This ^^^

Psycho Ward 86
08-21-2012, 11:01 AM
LMAO !! Sure did sound like the sapster....didn't it Pscho ?! Just thought I'd stir the pot alittle. I hate preseason also, but I do think it's a neccessity. We do need all 4 games, and then some. The special team did look bad though.

good thats what we need!

Lou Donny
08-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Baltimore's D will stumble...Book it.

The question will be, "Can Flacco and the offense put enough points on the board?"

Steelers win the division

86WARD
08-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Ravens looked scary good tonight...

polamalubeast
08-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Flacco could have his breakout year this year

But the Ravens will always be a team hard to beat

since 2008, 9 of the 10 games against the ravens were very close

this is by far the best rivalry in the NFL right now...since 2009,the ravens and the steelers are always have the same record each year

Devilsdancefloor
08-23-2012, 11:03 PM
Ravens looked scary good tonight...
they where playing the Faguars to begin with, but this time of the year is hard to say who is going to win we all know the stains are not, but the bungles at times look really good as do the steelers and ravens, so i think we wil know once the starters play longer and after week 2 or 3

Steeldude
08-24-2012, 03:48 AM
I am not sure how the Steelers will do. A new offense and a shaky O-line makes it hard to determine where the Steelers will be. On defense, I am not sold on Foote starting. Harrison and Polamalu will need to stay healthy. I see 12-4 as the best they will probably do, but I also see 7-9 as the worst they could do. I see the Ravens being about the same with their best/worst potential record at the end of the season.

bayz101
08-24-2012, 04:25 AM
A little too early to say at this juncture. :lol:

Galax Steeler
08-24-2012, 04:54 AM
A little too early to say at this juncture. :lol:

Agreed

86WARD
08-24-2012, 04:55 AM
they where playing the Faguars to begin with, but this time of the year is hard to say who is going to win we all know the stains are not, but the bungles at times look really good as do the steelers and ravens, so i think we wil know once the starters play longer and after week 2 or 3

Doesn't matter who they were playing, they dominated (as they should against the Jags) and looked real good. Divisions not going to be easy this season...

polamalubeast
08-24-2012, 06:32 AM
Divisions not going to be easy this season...

this is nothing news

second best division in the nfl(NFC NORTH is first)

steelpride12
08-24-2012, 08:02 AM
I think every year has been up for grabs the past few. This is one of the tightest and toughest divisions with the Steelers and the Ratbirds always fighting for the #1 spot, but when the Bungles are good it's a damn tough division and I expect Dalton to only be better around this season.