PDA

View Full Version : Roddy White has some advice for Todd Haley

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 07:24 AM
Cross Roddy White off the list of players who could be joining the Pittsburgh Steelers in the near future.

White, while watching Sunday night’s Colts-Steelers game on NBC, offered unsolicited criticism of and advice for Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley.

“Todd Haley problem is he really thinks that coaches win games not players when he realizes he doesn’t win games than he will be fine,” White said via Twitter.

White is accurate; only the players can deliver victory. But it’s the job of the coaches to get the players ready to play.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/20/roddy-white-has-some-advice-for-todd-haley/

suitanim
08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Todd Haley apparently thinks like a LOT of people around here, then, too.

bayz101
08-20-2012, 08:28 AM
"This story is getting old. Todd Haley was hired to replace Bruce Arians because Arians’ offense was failing to produce points. The Steelers’ offense ranked 22nd in scoring last season. Since Arians became OC in 2007, his offenses have been in steady decline.
Apparently, team president Art Rooney II got tired of paying his $100 million quarterback to be carried by Dick LeBeau’s defense; especially in light of the fact the rules have changed to enhance offenses.
Pretty simple."

Roddy White isn't exactly an expert on "winning". How many Super Bowl's has he won?

GBMelBlount
08-20-2012, 08:34 AM
It's a collaborative effort.

Great players, great coaches and great execution are arguably ALL key ingredients to success.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 08:43 AM
This is all water under the bridge, anyway...and I'm unsure why Roddy White, of all people, is chiming in, but after watching last nights rather lackluster offensive performance, ESPECIALLY along the OL, it only further reinforces my opinion that it's not going to matter who's calling the plays, or how good those plays are, if we don't execute better...

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 08:47 AM
This is all water under the bridge, anyway...and I'm unsure why Roddy White, of all people, is chiming in, but after watching last nights rather lackluster offensive performance, ESPECIALLY along the OL, it only further reinforces my opinion that it's not going to matter who's calling the plays, or how good those plays are, if we don't execute better...

please.....yesterday,It was a game preseason without a gameplan

also, Roethlisberger made ​​one of the worst interception of his career

bayz101
08-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Yeah...not going to take anything from these preseason games other than our rookies and young-players efforts.

GBMelBlount
08-20-2012, 08:55 AM

It is early. I think it will be hard to really tell how good (or bad) shape we are in until the first few games of the season.

Though admittedly I am more concerned now than I was.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 09:02 AM
please.....yesterday,It was a game preseason without a gameplan

also, Roethlisberger made ​​one of the worst interception of his career

Wait. Our OC isn't.......gameplanning?

Look, outside of the BUBBLE SCREEN for a TD, we did pretty much a whole lotta nothin' against a young defense transitioning form a 4-3 to a 3-4. You can twist your mind like gumby to blame that on whatever you like, but I'm callin' 'em as I see 'em, and our OL looks like hot garbage again.

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 09:06 AM

as for every team in the preseason

and the offense is not so bad right now(6th in point scored in the preseason!)

zulater
08-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Look, outside of the BUBBLE SCREEN for a TD, we did pretty much a whole lotta nothin' against a young defense transitioning form a 4-3 to a 3-4. You can twist your mind like gumby to blame that on whatever you like, but I'm callin' 'em as I see 'em, and our OL looks like hot garbage again.

Let's see, your top two backs didn't dress for the game. Your deep threat wr is still holding out. Pouncey, Heath Miller, and Ben Roethlisberger all played limited snaps. Oh yeah, I can draw definite conclusions from this!

I think it might have been 2005 when our offense looked so pathetic in the preseason that everyone said we should play all our starters into the 3rd quarter so as to get some continuity going into the season. Of course the coaches were smarter than that and just did the normal for the last pretend game and pulled the starters after one crappy drive.

So what happens? I don't think we punted in the first half of the first two regular season games, and rolled to huge leads in both games.

In other words this doesn't matter.

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 09:19 AM
He has already a big Haley hater after two preseason games....This is a shame but I'm not surprised

if it not go well in start of the season, it will be very ugly in this forum, especially if the Colts go well

GodfatherofSoul
08-20-2012, 09:46 AM
Running game looked pretty good to me.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Woah!

Hold on a second there, skippy! First off, any coordinator not gameplanning in the preseason would be instantly fired. It's not the same as regular season, but they are still gameplanning. That's an absurd statement.

Secondly, how can I be a Haley hater when I'm complaining about the OL? This is truly amazing. When I blame the OL for Arians failure, I'm an Arians lover, but when I blame the OL for execution breakdowns when Haley is the OC, I HATE HALEY???????? Those kinds of mental gymnastics are stupifying....

I'm going to keep saying what I have been saying. THE OL LOOKS BAD! AS THE OL GOES, SO GOES THE STEELERS OFFENSE!

That is not a condemnation of Haley, that is a condemnation of shitty OL play.

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 09:59 AM
firstly Arians is now with the Colts

And the starting o-line played better yesterday(No sacks for Ben yesterday)

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Also the gameplan in the preseason is very different during the season and it's not even close

suitanim
08-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Also the gameplan in the preseason is very different during the season and it's not even close

So NO gameplan is equal to a DIFFERENT gameplan?

This is a strange board. Last year when I criticized the OL, I was told I was making excuses for the OC.

This year when I criticize the OL, I'm now being told that I hate the OC. But that huge twist and lack of logic is my fault because it's a different OC? Really?

And a preseason gameplan is also equal to no gameplan at all.

You cannot make this stuff up...I knew people were going to have trouble digesting this change, and would have trouble figuring out who the scapegoat would be, but this is..................an even odder outcome than I thought it would be............

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 10:15 AM
Arians is now with the Colts and I never criticized Arians in my life

The gameplan of the Steelers and other teams during the preseason will be very different in the season

This is hard to evaluate the performences during the preseason and it is a joke of jumped to conclusions after two preseason games....Cam Newton was a horrible QB in the preseason in 2011 ... same for Eli Manning

suitanim
08-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey, I'm just pointing out the Orwellian logic here:

different gameplan = no gameplan = different gameplan
Poor OL play IS attributed to OC one year, and is.....TBD for the next.
Pointing out poor OL play = hate of new OC.

Anyway, I'm, uh, you know, not retarded. I know it's the preseason. But it's also week 2 of the preseason, and week 3 is the "big look" for the 1st stringers...they'll be mostly resting in week 4. There is one big dress rehearsal left, and there is still a lot of work to be done, especially up front on offense. I'm sorry to be the asshole who points that out, I guess...

suitanim
08-20-2012, 11:40 AM
However, if anyone is interested, the worm has already turned for some Steelers "fans", calling out Haley after just two preseason games. It's quite entertaining to watch the brainiacs at work here...check out the comments under Smiziks blog:
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/34094-haley-offense-work-in-progress

written by alexpo, August 20, 2012 - 10:58 AM
Still not a fan of Haley. Even Hines Ward was complaining that they need Wallace back so they can throw a ball down the field.

written by IronCityDrinker, August 20, 2012 - 11:04 AM
Any chance Bruce Arians would come back...the way his "O" carved up the Steelers D...they could use it

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
"This story is getting old. Todd Haley was hired to replace Bruce Arians because Arians’ offense was failing to produce points. The Steelers’ offense ranked 22nd in scoring last season. Since Arians became OC in 2007, his offenses have been in steady decline.
Apparently, team president Art Rooney II got tired of paying his $100 million quarterback to be carried by Dick LeBeau’s defense; especially in light of the fact the rules have changed to enhance offenses.
Pretty simple."

Roddy White isn't exactly an expert on "winning". How many Super Bowl's has he won?

Did you really just say that...roddy hardly said anything that was wrong. you dont need more credentials than the party that youre critiquing to critique them. he wasnt an ass about it, and theres nothing to argue that he might know more than we do. Oh god i guess no one is allowed to say anything to slight montana and bradshaw because theyre just better than everyone else based on ring count.

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 12:02 PM
However, if anyone is interested, the worm has already turned for some Steelers "fans", calling out Haley after just two preseason games. It's quite entertaining to watch the brainiacs at work here...check out the comments under Smiziks blog:
http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/bob-smiziks-blog/34094-haley-offense-work-in-progress

written by alexpo, August 20, 2012 - 10:58 AM
Still not a fan of Haley. Even Hines Ward was complaining that they need Wallace back so they can throw a ball down the field.

written by IronCityDrinker, August 20, 2012 - 11:04 AM
Any chance Bruce Arians would come back...the way his "O" carved up the Steelers D...they could use it

Damn...only 2 preseason games in. My prediction was way, WAY off. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated the true, fickle nature of many in Steeler Nation. The second comment by IronCityDrinker really made me chuckle, but I digress. I guess someone forgot to tell them that a) it's the preseason, and b) there are going to be growing pains from switching to a brand spankin' new offense. I brought up the latter more than once this past spring, and I was pretty much blown off. Oh well. I'm certainly not going to be among the fickle masses and throw Haley under the bus - I will give him plenty of time for his offense to come together knowing that they will not click right away, especially in light of the players out of the lineup right now.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Damn...only 2 preseason games in. My prediction was way, WAY off. I guess I shouldn't have underestimated the true, fickle nature of many in Steeler Nation. I guess someone forgot to tell them that a) it's the preseason, and b) there are going to be growing pains from switching to a brand spankin' new offense. I brought up the latter more than once this past spring, and I was pretty much blown off. Oh well. I'm certainly not going to be among the fickle masses and throw Haley under the bus - I will give him plenty of time for his offense to come together knowing that they will not click right away, especially in light of the players out of the lineup right now.

And I will, too...but I'm still worried about that OL....

But there were some bright spots. Ben WASN'T scaked (although he did have to run around a lot as usual), and that one Dwyer run displayed textbook blocking, and he even picked and hit the right hole at the right time. I also don't have a big problem with the short dink and dunk stuff, NEVER had a problem with the bubble screen (as anyone who knows anything about football will tell you that stuff is all about setting up other stuff later), and I think Haley is building to a complete offense one block at a time.

But, sorry, I can't stop worrying about that damned offensive line!

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 12:16 PM
I am sorry for my comments this morning

For the o-line, the starters played better yesterday

With Roethlisberger as QB if the o-line is average, steelers will be okay.....The steelers have participated in two Super Bowl with a mediocre o-line

I trust in the o-line if Mike Adams is not a starter

But the game against the eagles and especially the giants this year could be ugly

SteelerFanInStl
08-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Roddy White making comments based on the 2nd preseason game in a brand new offense. LOL! The offense has been very vanilla so far so I really don't know what he's judging.

I wasn't happy with the game last night either but I had to remind myself that it's just early preseason in a game that doesn't matter.

86WARD
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
The first two preseason games (more so game one) don't have "Game Plans" like you are saying suit. There is a "plan," but it is no where near what a real live NFL Week One Game Plan would be. They don't even watch film for preseason game one. The first game is basically an extension of what they've worked on in camp...the previous weeks. There's objectives and things that the coaches want to see, but there's not a "regular season" game plan. This has been said in numerous interviews by both coaches, players and execs.

86WARD
08-20-2012, 12:32 PM
Who really cares wtf Roddy Wgite has to say about anything?

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 12:37 PM
the steelers offense vs the starters defense of the other team right now

yesterday:1 TD on 4 drives
vs eagles:1 FG and 1 TD on 2 drives

2 TD and 1 FG on 6 drives....not very bad!

fansince'76
08-20-2012, 02:01 PM
But, sorry, I can't stop worrying about that damned offensive line!

I'm hopeful - they looked better than they did last week. I hope Starks is ready to go soon, because Adams isn't anywhere near ready. And for once, there wasn't an injury to an O-lineman last night, which was a welcome change.

Count Steeler
08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Don't know why some are picking on the OC. Well, actually I do. It is the Nation thing to do.

Anyways, Sean Kugler is our O Line coach and if he can't get our guys together this year, he should be out the door.

They should let Beachum play a game without the #68, bad karma on that jersey. If he still stinks out the joint, he should be gone.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm hopeful - they looked better than they did last week. I hope Starks is ready to go soon, because Adams isn't anywhere near ready. And for once, there wasn't an injury to an O-lineman last night, which was a welcome change.

I WANT to be optimistic. But this really is the main reason we have not been dominant (as we should be) for the last few years.

As the OL goes, so goes the Steelers offense. The OC is less important than the OL is...

suitanim
08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
There! I just went and said it...

stillers4me
08-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Who's Roddy White?

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Hold on a second there, skippy! First off, any coordinator not gameplanning in the preseason would be instantly fired. It's not the same as regular season, but they are still gameplanning. That's an absurd statement.

even John Harbaugh said he has no gameplan during the preseason

Harbs: "There's no game plan involved in what we're doing. We didn't roll over top of Calvin Johnson. We didn't mix our coverages at all."

https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/237671789881335808

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 05:17 PM
Who's Roddy White?

WR of the Falcons

steelpride12
08-20-2012, 05:25 PM
WR of the Falcons

LOL it was sarcasm.

BigNastyDefense
08-20-2012, 05:37 PM
Shouldn't Roddy White be worried about his own team and their lack of playoff wins in his time there rather than what's happening with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Craic
08-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Yeah...not going to take anything from these preseason games other than our rookies and young-players efforts.

Which, when you look at the blocking of Adams and the penalties of (lol) 68, comes right back to what suit said.

Craic
08-20-2012, 06:24 PM

Very true.

What I really want to see is Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, ?? (Gilbert? I'm still not sold on him, but...) starting together. Guess we'll have to wait on that.

Steelman
08-20-2012, 08:38 PM
As the OL goes, so goes the Steelers offense. The OC is less important than the OL is...

Suit nailed it. Possibly the quote of the year.

Very true.

What I really want to see is Starks, Colon, Pouncey, DeCastro, ?? (Gilbert? I'm still not sold on him, but...) starting together. Guess we'll have to wait on that.

I think if by some miracle, or the football gods look favorably upon us this year, we could keep that lineup intact, we might have a decent line this year, even with Gilbert at RT. We might have to play more FB/TE sets to help pick up an extra blitzer, but I actually saw a few decent pockets for Ben last night at the beginning of the game.

SteelGhost
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
http://www.lebasketbawl.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Panic.jpg

:chuckle:

Count Steeler
08-20-2012, 09:08 PM
How about some advice for Roddy White? STFU.

zulater
08-20-2012, 09:10 PM
The Steelers have exceeded the collective ability of the offensive line for the last 5 years. So why in the world would anyone think they'll limit the team's ability to compete for the division this year?

Once Ben warms to the task and starts playing for real the offense will come up to speed.

bayz101
08-20-2012, 09:15 PM
Did you really just say that...roddy hardly said anything that was wrong. you dont need more credentials than the party that youre critiquing to critique them. he wasnt an ass about it, and theres nothing to argue that he might know more than we do. Oh god i guess no one is allowed to say anything to slight montana and bradshaw because theyre just better than everyone else based on ring count.

Dude, he set himself up for negative criticism the minute he opened his mouth about another teams coach. His team hasn't been successful in the playoffs, and that's something he should pay more attention to. In the end, you're criticizing my criticism. :D

steelerdiva
08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Shouldn't Roddy White be worried about his own team and their lack of playoff wins in his time there rather than what's happening with the Pittsburgh Steelers.

This...

How about some advice for Roddy White? STFU.

...and especially this.

tube517
08-21-2012, 09:58 AM
Very true.

This is what I think will happen if Starks is healthy

Sent from my ICS Thrive