PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck not like a rookie, says Mike Tomlin

polamalubeast
08-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Andrew Luck -- like the rest of us -- has watched the Pittsburgh Steelers' defense punish quarterbacks since he was a child. Unlike the rest of us, the Indianapolis Colts rookie now prepares to face them in the flesh on Sunday night.

Pittsburgh's trickery will be simplified, the blitz packages tempered, but it's a taste of what's ahead for Luck this season. He showed poise in a productive debut against the St. Louis Rams, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin doesn't see Luck as just another first-year passer.

"I thought he played really well," Tomlin told The Associated Press. "I don't mean played really well for a rookie. I thought he played really well."

Luck will be hard-pressed to reproduce his debut 188-yard, two-touchdown performance. The Steelers' top-ranked defense from a season ago also led the NFL against the pass. Another advantage: They square off against a familiar face in Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who called Pittsburgh's attack for the past five seasons before being shown the door in the offseason.

"It'll be fun," Luck said. "I realize every defense is good in the NFL, in my mind. But to have a chance to go against a great historical defense, a great franchise, with a great fan base, will be fun."

Luck might define "fun" differently than the rest of us, but the matchup here is intriguing. Pull away the preseason stink, and it's still a confrontation between a nasty defense and the rookie quarterback being asked to fill Peyton Manning's shoes. We're glad this one's on "Sunday Night Football."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000051672/article/mike-tomlin-sees-no-rookie-jitters-in-andrew-luck

bayz101
08-18-2012, 05:43 PM
I luck Andrew Luck. He's going to be one of the best Quarterbacks in the league over the next 10 years, if not, THE best quarterback.

st33lersguy
08-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Will be a great test for him tomorrow night

Count Steeler
08-18-2012, 08:37 PM
Will be a great test for him tomorrow night

Nay, pre season. Vanilla defense. Let's wait till the regular season.

TheRuneMeister
08-19-2012, 07:16 AM
It might be preseason, but he delivered the most impressive preseason debut I have ever seen from any QB. The numbers were good, but thats not the most impressive part. He looked so 'at home' out there. He knew exactly what he was doing and inspired confidence in his teammates. Basically, he did in one game (not even), what that takes other QB's years to do. He will stumble, perhaps tonight even, but I see great things in the future for Luck.

SteelerFanInStl
08-19-2012, 09:35 AM
He did look good week one against the Rams but the Rams played terrible defense. Completely vanilla with no pass rush at all. He had all day to pass and his receivers were wide open for the most part.

I do think that he's going to be very good though. He's been taught very well, both by his dad and by Harbaugh.

Scatter
08-19-2012, 10:20 AM
Luck may be impressive as a rookie QB, but can he overcome the rank putridness which is the Dolt "D".........not to mention the Arians "O". I hope he's mastered the bubblescreen.