PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Activate Casey Hampton and Rashard Mendenhall From PUP List

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
The Steelers activated veteran nose tackle Casey Hampton and veteran running back Rashard Mendenhall from the PUP (Physically Unable to Perform) List, the team announced today.

Hampton is in his 12th season with the Steelers and has played in 157 career games with 146 career starts. A five-time Pro Bowl selection, Hampton was recovering from a knee injury in the offseason.

Mendenhall is in his fifth year with the Steelers after originally being the team’s first-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft. Mendenhall has two 1,000-yard rushing seasons and has amassed 3,367 yards rushing in his first four years. He was recovering from a knee injury that he suffered in the 2011 regular-season finale at Cleveland.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Steelers-Activate-Casey-Hampton-and-Rashard-Mendenhall-From-PUP-List/4e011fb5-e6c4-44fe-a6c4-7f02055748c5?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

steelerdude15
08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
This is good news! I hope they can be ready by the first game.

Count Steeler
08-17-2012, 01:39 PM
Wow. I thought Colbert said Mendy might be able to play by the 6th game of the season. This is good news.

Psycho Ward 86
08-17-2012, 01:41 PM
holy shit! Well i hope theyre being activated because theyre actually healthy enough and not because the team is worried about depth at RB and NT. Mixed feelings on this one, cautious excitement

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Colbert was wrong on Mendenhall!

Psycho Ward 86
08-17-2012, 01:45 PM
looks like mendenhall is really diggin Antonio Brown's t-shirts

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/488223_10151135107389905_1031567054_n.jpg

GodfatherofSoul
08-17-2012, 01:46 PM
How the heck is Mendy coming back so fast? I wasn't even expecting him to seriously suit up this year.

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 01:47 PM
All along the Steelers said they did not expect Rashard Mendenhall to come off PUP before the start of the regular season. They took him off today with three preseason games left. I was told this week they would not rush him because they did not want to jeopardize his health and his future. It's funny what can happen when injuries thin a position as it has done for the Steelers at running back.

http://sulia.com/channel/pittsburgh-steelers/f/e0eb8ad6-dbaa-4e48-99de-0c6994d90143/?source=twitter

SteelerFanInStl
08-17-2012, 02:06 PM
Good news!

steelerdude15
08-17-2012, 02:08 PM
If an athlete is in excellent shape, instead of taking a full twelve months to recover from a torn ACL, they could recover in about eight to nine months so this is about right.

steeldawg
08-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Happy about mendy not so much about hampton. Whats the news on redman????

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 02:13 PM
Colbert on Redman: "He'll be back in the rotation next week."

https://twitter.com/JoeStarkey1

steeldawg
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM
Ok good we need him in short yardage

steelpride12
08-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Wow! Great news on the RB situation. One day were all stressed about losing them left and right and today were told Mendy is back to practicing and Redman will be ready next week!

steelerdude15
08-17-2012, 02:25 PM
Woo hoo! We'll have both Mendy and Isaac back healthy! :tt02:

Psycho Ward 86
08-17-2012, 02:32 PM
in 7 months? no we wont. we'll still be waiting on him at the beginning of the season. Even if he's on the field.

steelerdude15
08-17-2012, 02:35 PM
in 7 months? no we wont. we'll still be waiting on him at the beginning of the season. Even if he's on the field.

Its been over eight months and he could possibly be back.

Psycho Ward 86
08-17-2012, 02:42 PM
Its been over eight months and he could possibly be back.

no its been almost 8 months, and its about more than being back, its about being back, and efficient.

Also fellas, i found this article on runningbacks with acl tears interesting: http://www.footballdocs.com/RB_injury_rule.html

7willBheaven
08-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Awesome news. Those thinking the Steelers did this out of desperation or Mendy isnt anywhere near ready...do you really think the Steelers would activate them if they werent ready? Or CLOSE to being ready...they could get limited/no play in the first couple games who knows...but it definitely shows that both can play before week 6. Some players heal quicker/better/etc than others...just because player A took 10 months to heal doesnt mean player B cant take 6-7 for the same injury. Shoot I remember when Casey didnt even need surgery as his was severe...so it just depends on a number of factors. Trust in the Steelers...they know what they're doing!

ALLD
08-17-2012, 03:02 PM
I think this is Mendy's shot to salvage his career. He might be rushing himself back with the blessing of the team. If he is going to run his wheels off, it might as well be with the Steelers.

The Duke
08-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Mendenhall coming back is the best news in TC so far

really want to see what Haley can do with him!

Chidi29
08-17-2012, 04:13 PM
It's surprising that Mendenhall is back, but there's no way he's being rushed back to the point that he should not be out there. There's no way the medical staff would have cleared him if he wasn't ready.

Now, is he going to play next week? Remains to be seen. This could be another step in his rehab so he can get work in individual practices, then with the team, and then in games. It could still all be apart of the process.

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Steelers don’t expect Mendenhall to play Week One

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/17/steelers-dont-expect-mendenhall-to-play-week-one/

X-Terminator
08-17-2012, 04:57 PM
They obviously did this because they think both of them will be ready to go before week 7. I don't expect either of them to play in the first couple of games.

steeldevil
08-17-2012, 05:40 PM
All this mean is that the Steelers expect they can both play before the 7th game. If they were kept on the PUP list at the start of the regular season they wouldn't be allowed to play the first 6 games. So taking them off means they will be able to play whenever they are ready. But it won't be week one, no way.

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 05:42 PM
At the moment, it’s looking like the best bet for when Mendenhall is ready is Week Five against the Eagles, after the Steelers’ Week Four bye.

steeldevil
08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Yep that makes sense.

86WARD
08-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Good news indeed...

Psycho Ward 86
08-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Normally id want Mendenhall to just remain on PUP if its only going to be 2 additional games that he gets to play in, but the eagles are going to be hell so ill take it. whens our bye week again?

Steeldude
08-17-2012, 10:00 PM
Hopefully Hampton and Mendenhall will be backups in the regular season.

polamalubeast
08-17-2012, 10:02 PM
Hopefully Hampton and Mendenhall will be backups in the regular season.

what????

Steeldude
08-18-2012, 04:25 AM
what????

Why would you want them to start? Hampton was done 4 years ago. How effective do you think he is going to be? I have seen what Mendenhall can do and it isn't that great. Now he is coming off an ACL injury.

Count Steeler
08-18-2012, 04:35 AM
I'm still hoping that Hampton gets released if that frees up any salary cap space. If there is no saving to the cap, he will stick around as a mentor for McLendon and Ta'amu.

If Mendenhall doesn't have to juke in the backfield, like he has had to for the last couple of seasons, he will be a good running back. If the holes aren't there, he can't hit them.

GBMelBlount
08-18-2012, 07:23 AM
All this mean is that the Steelers expect they can both play before the 7th game. If they were kept on the PUP list at the start of the regular season they wouldn't be allowed to play the first 6 games. So taking them off means they will be able to play whenever they are ready. But it won't be week one, no way.

I tend to agree.

It seems to me that they are are doing this primarily to have the OPTION to play them before our 6th game of the season if they are cleared and they really need him.

steelpride12
08-18-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm still hoping that Hampton gets released if that frees up any salary cap space. If there is no saving to the cap, he will stick around as a mentor for McLendon and Ta'amu.

If Mendenhall doesn't have to juke in the backfield, like he has had to for the last couple of seasons, he will be a good running back. If the holes aren't there, he can't hit them.
Yupp, first and foremost the OL needs to do it's job and create running room for Mendy. I know how it'll play out, Mendy will struggle for a game and take 100% of the blame like usual when we all know the OL was beat up all game and never gave Mendy any space to create a running attack.

suitanim
08-18-2012, 09:21 AM
If Mendenhall is even at 85% by week 2-3 this is great news. Mendy at 85% is better than 2/3rds of the NFL's other backs at 100%.

I just wish more Steelers fans appreciated him for what he's worth.

polamalubeast
08-18-2012, 09:25 AM

True...Mendenhall and Parker has never been appreciated in Pittsburgh and it is hard to understand

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2012, 10:27 AM
True...Mendenhall and Parker has never been appreciated in Pittsburgh and it is hard to understand

no it's not, it was because of inconsistency. 8 straight no gainers coupled with 2 10 yard runs pisses any fanbase off. everyone was driveling about mendenhall's backfield dance movies and inconsistency up until he got injured. Then all of a sudden he magically became a crown diamond. i still like the kid, i still want him to be the starter, he just hasnt lived up to his potential yet. What is he, 25 years old? And history shows that an ACL injury on an RB is better when youre younger than when youre older and they dont necessarily spell doom for an RB's career at all. Check it out

http://www.footballdocs.com/RB_injury_rule.html

polamalubeast
08-18-2012, 10:49 AM
no it's not, it was because of inconsistency. 8 straight no gainers coupled with 2 10 yard runs pisses any fanbase off. everyone was driveling about mendenhall's backfield dance movies and inconsistency up until he got injured. Then all of a sudden he magically became a crown diamond. i still like the kid, i still want him to be the starter, he just hasnt lived up to his potential yet. What is he, 25 years old? And history shows that an ACL injury on an RB is better when youre younger than when youre older and they dont necessarily spell doom for an RB's career at all. Check it out

http://www.footballdocs.com/RB_injury_rule.html

true that Mendenhall's injury is a serious concern

Parker and Mendenhall are not perfect, but Parker was very good from 2005 to 2007 and Mendenhall was very good in 2009 and 2010

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2012, 11:02 AM
true that Mendenhall's injury is a serious concern

Parker and Mendenhall are not perfect, but Parker was very good from 2005 to 2007 and Mendenhall was very good in 2009 and 2010

i love everything parker did for us but Parker was only capable of thrashing weak defenses, and again in his painfully inconsistent style. Mendenhall was ok in his 3 years starting, highlighted imo by his 95 yard performance against the Ravens with Dixon at the helm (almost 100+ against that Berlin wall of a defense, imagine that!). still he's an erratic underachiever, yes partially due to the O-line. Both backs were offensive series-killers almost as frequently as they were offensive series-drivers. i think Mendenhall will truly start to impress next season.

polamalubeast
08-18-2012, 11:13 AM
i love everything parker did for us but Parker was only capable of thrashing weak defenses, and again in his painfully inconsistent style. Mendenhall was ok in his 3 years starting, highlighted imo by his 95 yard performance against the Ravens with Dixon at the helm (almost 100+ against that Berlin wall of a defense, imagine that!). still he's an erratic underachiever, yes partially due to the O-line. Both backs were offensive series-killers almost as frequently as they were offensive series-drivers. i think Mendenhall will truly start to impress next season.

It is certain that Parker and Mendenhall was not an elite RB as LaDainian Tomlinson and that's what them fan need to understand

The biggest problem for Parker is that he had too many carried in 2006 and 2007....Parker would have been better with 15-20 carried per game instead of 25-30 carried...Parker did not have a good backup in 2006 and 2007

For Mendenhall, of course, the o-line was the problem

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2012, 11:40 AM
It is certain that Parker and Mendenhall was not an elite RB as LaDainian Tomlinson and that's what them fan need to understand

The biggest problem for Parker is that he had too many carried in 2006 and 2007....Parker would have been better with 15-20 carried per game instead of 25-30 carried...Parker did not have a good backup in 2006 and 2007

For Mendenhall, of course, the o-line was the problem

no one's expecting elite, bringing LT into the conversation is just a huge joke lol. and totally agree with you on the bellcow carries

X-Terminator
08-18-2012, 11:43 AM
Let's face it. Mendenhall isn't liked primarily because he isn't a "fat back." Why Steelers fans are so in love with the "fat back" is beyond me. There won't ever be another Jerome Bettis. With Parker, the points made against him are more valid than with Mendenhall because he had a better OL than Mendenhall has ever had, yet had many games where he was not a factor at all. Give Mendenhall a better OL, and I am very sure he will be more productive both as a runner and receiver because he has pretty good hands for a RB, and Haley loves using RBs in the passing game.

Count Steeler
08-18-2012, 01:58 PM
There are 2 problems I see with Mendy. 1 is the OLine, which he has no control over.

The other problem is a mental one. He seems to be one of those players that reacts very well to being benched. The 2 times it has happened to him, he came out afterwards, playing like a beast. Perhaps Haley's in your face style, will be a big factor in Mendy having a great year, once he gets healthy. That and a decent O Line.

steelerdude15
08-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Why would you want them to start? Hampton was done 4 years ago. How effective do you think he is going to be? I have seen what Mendenhall can do and it isn't that great. Now he is coming off an ACL injury.

Is there ANY current Steeler that you like? You criticize every player for every single thing. It seems the last Steeler you liked was Greg Lloyd.

GBMelBlount
08-18-2012, 07:03 PM
Is there ANY current Steeler that you like? You criticize every player for every single thing. It seems the last Steeler you liked was Greg Lloyd.

In all fairness he did say he was pleased with the DeCastro pick in the 1st round this year....give it time though. :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
08-18-2012, 07:09 PM
If Mendenhall is even at 85% by week 2-3 this is great news. Mendy at 85% is better than 2/3rds of the NFL's other backs at 100%.

I respect your opinion suit but he has been averaging under 4 yards per carry which is probably very average.

Also, his 1.6 yds after contact is 2nd worst in the entire league.

Am I saying you don't have a right to like and support him? Absolutely not.

However I do feel that is also fair for people to not be satisfied at the same time.

Personally I think he is a talented back that probably is not a best fit for the type of line we have had the past few years.

Steeldude
08-18-2012, 08:09 PM

Why are you being negative toward McClendon and Redman? Are you saying two players(one old and over weight) coming off serious injuries should be starting when their backups can do the same or a better job? Also, has Hampton's productivity declined of the last 4 or so years? Is it criticism to point out he has declined? Or is it the cold, hard truth?

You criticize every player for every single thing

Prove your claim. Don't keep crying. If you can't prove your claim then stop trolling and sniveling...lol. Your constant whining has gotten old. You remind me of the Seahawks' fans after the SB. People can't all be lemmings like you. You have to understand people have independent thoughts.

The difference between you and me is you are told what to think and say. I, on the other hand, think for myself. I remember people exactly like you getting very angry with me for saying Porter should be cut because Harrison will be a better LB.

Is there a Steeler that you don't think is a god?

Psycho Ward 86
08-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Personally these forums would be boring as shit if everyone thought the world was all ponies and daisies. We need people to stir the pot so im glad we have him on these forums, even when i disagree.

Steeldude
08-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Personally these forums would be boring as shit if everyone thought the world was all ponies and daisies.

Exactly. The outside would be boring also. Everyone would be wearing the same clothes etc...

X-Terminator
08-19-2012, 12:30 AM
Looks like Archie's got the hornet's nest stirred up again...

Steeldude
08-19-2012, 04:52 AM
Looks like Archie's got the hornet's nest stirred up again...

I merely stated my opinion and one of the rah-rah cheerleaders became upset because the opinion didn't match their own. It's no big surprise. I feel like James Harrison does.

Why are people so negative toward Redman and McLendon?

43Hitman
08-19-2012, 05:58 AM
I merely stated my opinion and one of the rah-rah cheerleaders became upset because the opinion didn't match their own. It's no big surprise. I feel like James Harrison does.

lol, good post. I like reading your opinions and agree with you more times than not. I also find it amusing when everyone starts freaking out over your opinions.

polamalubeast
08-19-2012, 07:56 AM

I do not understand your question

steelerdude15 only spoke of Hampton and Mendenhall...Steelerdude15 never tell which disliked Redman and McLendon(and it was not even close)

suitanim
08-19-2012, 08:41 AM
I respect your opinion suit but he has been averaging under 4 yards per carry which is probably very average.

Also, his 1.6 yds after contact is 2nd worst in the entire league.

Am I saying you don't have a right to like and support him? Absolutely not.

However I do feel that is also fair for people to not be satisfied at the same time.

Personally I think he is a talented back that probably is not a best fit for the type of line we have had the past few years.

With the worst OL, or one of the worst OL's in the league. And his stats show him as a career average of 4.1 YPC. I also see a guy who averages (threw out his truncated 2008 season) 265 carries a season, in all situations, short and goal line as well, where the yards a lot harder to come by. He also averages 1100 yards and 10 TD's a season. None of that is average.

He's not a power back, either, or a "fat back" as X pointed out.

Anyway, the reason I appreciate Mendy (and NOT because of his off-filed antics and idiocy, the conspiracy theories and general ignorance) is because fans from other teams keep telling me how good they think he is. Steelers fans are spoiled, and often the WORST people to assess the talent on their own team. But I do trust others opinions, especially outsiders with no real dog in the hunt. They tell me all the time that they wish their team had him, or a back like him.

GBMelBlount
08-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Anyway, the reason I appreciate Mendy.....is because fans from other teams keep telling me how good they think he is. Steelers fans are spoiled, and often the WORST people to assess the talent on their own team. But I do trust others opinions, especially outsiders with no real dog in the hunt. They tell me all the time that they wish their team had him, or a back like him.

I do understand your point....and am thankful that Steelers fans ARE fortunate enough to be spoiled.

However I do not think having high expections and being critical is always bad.

Perhaps in excess and without balance it can be a bit much but for the most part taking negative positions encourages great debates....

And I can say without hesitation that I learn the most when two people strongly argue completely opposite opinions on a topic like this even though the truth almost always lies somewhere in the middle.

I also think that is the case here.

suitanim
08-19-2012, 11:54 AM
I do understand your point....and am thankful that Steelers fans ARE fortunate enough to be spoiled.

However I do not think having high expections and being critical is always bad.

Perhaps in excess and without balance it can be a bit much but for the most part taking negative positions encourages great debates....

And I can say without hesitation that I learn the most when two people strongly argue completely opposite opinions on a topic like this even though the truth almost always lies somewhere in the middle.

I also think that is the case here.

He's above average in every statistical category that counts, yet you're going with 'He's average"?

Okey dokey...

GBMelBlount
08-19-2012, 12:19 PM
He's above average in every statistical category that counts, yet you're going with 'He's average"?

Okey dokey...

Really?

Well then why don't we start with what is arguably THE most relevant statistic. YPC.

and I believe there are at least 20 running backs with over 150 rushes last year that averaged more than Mendy's 4.1 ypc.

Therefore, even though stats do not tell it all, 4.1 ypc is arguably NOT above average.

Regardless, if you are of the opinion that he is better than average then I am happy for you. :drink:

steelerdude15
08-19-2012, 04:29 PM
Why are you being negative toward McClendon and Redman? Are you saying two players(one old and over weight) coming off serious injuries should be starting when their backups can do the same or a better job? Also, has Hampton's productivity declined of the last 4 or so years? Is it criticism to point out he has declined? Or is it the cold, hard truth?

Prove your claim. Don't keep crying. If you can't prove your claim then stop trolling and sniveling...lol. Your constant whining has gotten old. You remind me of the Seahawks' fans after the SB. People can't all be lemmings like you. You have to understand people have independent thoughts.

The difference between you and me is you are told what to think and say. I, on the other hand, think for myself. I remember people exactly like you getting very angry with me for saying Porter should be cut because Harrison will be a better LB.

Is there a Steeler that you don't think is a god?

When on Earth did I ever say anything negative about McClendon and Redman? I like them both and think they both can and have contributed to the team. Also, when did I say Mendy and Casey would start right away? If someone were to look at the three posts in this thread and one will see I never said anything about them starting, I'm just glad they're back. Them being back or at least of the PUP is more depth, which there is nothing wrong with that at all.

When do I whine? Since we're going with proof, give us all proof. I want proof of "my" whining. Plus, you don't know me. I understand and respect everyone's thoughts that either disagree or agree with me. It doesn't matter if I know you or if its over the internet, I may disagree with you, but I still respect and understand your opinion.

I'm told what to think and say? Once again, you don't know me so how can you come to such a conclusion? I also think for myself thank you very much; just because I read the articles that are posted and may agree with them and write small comments doesn't mean I can't think for myself.

Where are you getting at that that I think Steelers are Gods? I don't think they're Gods, I think they're regular human beings who have made sports into a career. I have never once said that any Steeler nor ANY athlete is a God. I love watching them in person and on TV, I like buying apparel, etc, but I would never consider an athlete a God.

You want proof, here we go:

To me it shows he is an immature, lazy punk. I personally do not want him on the team. I say sign and trade the punk to a team like the Redskins.

It's pretty much one trick. His route running is not good. A defense failing to put a safety out for help is what aided Wallace. Remember when they started putting safeties out to help on Wallace deep? Wallace disappeared for the rest of the season. Wallace's hands are not that great. Wallace has yet to show the skills of a Rice or Moss.

He's a great RB? Based on what? It isn't positive consistency. It isn't stats either. Big plays? Nope. Is it toughness? Nope again. I have seen nothing from Mendenhall to suggest that he isn't anything other than an average NFL RB. Sure he has made some splash plays, but so did Parker. Is he great too? I have seen more promise out of Bam Morris than Mendenhall.

That's the problem. He wasn't like O'Donnell. O'Donnell was a thousand times better than the overly, pathetic Kordell.

Ugh! That's all the Steelers need. Foote pretending to be a leader. IMO, the Steelers haven't had a leader on defense since Lloyd.

He never was and never will be a good fit for the Steelers. Why do people entertain this absurd idea? Average to poor hands, poor fundamentals, poor work ethic, head case and a high salary. Oh yeah, let's get him back

The Steelers grab another worthless option QB. When will they ever learn?

Is BR really any different than his first two seasons? Has there been any growth in terms of skill and reduction of bad habits?

I am not a troll and never have been. I am simply disagreeing with your statements, which is fine. Once again, I respect and understand your opinion, as I do everyone else on this board. I am not a rah-rah cheerleader. I don't agree with everything the Steelers do. There have been plenty of times where I've questioned a decision they've made, a play that was called, or a players weaknesses and strengths. Just because I don't post it on the forum, doesn't mean I'm not thinking it or saying it to someone in person. The Steelers are not perfect, nothings perfect. If you feel that I personally think that the Steelers are perfect in every single way and that everything the FO does is right, well, I'm sorry, but it's not the truth. I hope that you can understand where I'm coming from and I do want to ask you one more thing that I asked in the previous post. Is there any current Steeler that you like? That's all I want to know.

Steeldude
08-20-2012, 01:30 AM
"When on Earth did I ever say anything negative about McClendon and Redman?"

You are apparently upset with me for saying I don't want Hampton and Mendenhall starting. So that must mean you want them to start over McLendon and Redman, right? So why are you against Redman and McLendon starting?

"When do I whine"

Aren't you complaining about my current and previous posts/statements?

"but I still respect and understand your opinion"

So then why the absurd claim? You said I criticize every player for every single thing.

"you don't know me so how can you come to such a conclusion"

And you don't know me so why say I criticize every player for every single thing?

"You want proof, here we go"

That's not proof. Your claim was I criticize every player for every single thing. Who on here hasn't criticized Dixon, Kordell, Burress, option QBs, the Wallace situation, or Mendenhall's style of running? Seems to me double-standards are being set.

If you respected my opinion then why are you so bothered when a fan points out who he thinks should be starting or who is a liability? Are you saying Dixon was a good pick? Are you saying Kordell was better than O'Donnell? In your attempt at proof you made a mistake when you copy/pasted my comment, "O'Donnell was a thousand times better than the overly, pathetic Kordell". Am I criticizing O'Donnell?

"Where are you getting at that I think Steelers are Gods"

You are saying I criticize every player. So in return I asked you that question. See how you reacted?

"I am simply disagreeing with your statements"

If you were disagreeing with my statement then you would have replied with an argument as to why you think Hampton and Mendenhall should start over McLendon and Redman. Claiming I criticize every player for every single thing doesn't look like much of a disagreement as to who I feel should be starting.

"There have been plenty of times where I've questioned a decision they've made, a play that was called..."

And there are plenty of times where I praised a decision, a play called etc... You, like so many other people who dislike certain opinions, have selective reading skills. You read only what you want to read.

"Is there any current Steeler that you like"

James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, to name a couple, but they are not going to be without criticism if they screw up, if their play diminishes etc...

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 01:53 AM

Nobody is being negative toward either one. I have no freaking idea where you even got that notion. Some people want to give Mendenhall a chance to show what he can do behind a better OL. Why is that a problem? And there aren't too many people who want Hampton starting and think McLendon should start with Hampton being the backup. At this point, Hampton has no business being the starter on this team. However, it's pretty well-known that you haven't been a fan of Hampton for years and wanted Hoke to start when Hamp was still in his prime. You're certainly entitled to that opinion, but a whole lot of people will and have disagreed with you on that.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Really?

Well then why don't we start with what is arguably THE most relevant statistic. YPC.

and I believe there are at least 20 running backs with over 150 rushes last year that averaged more than Mendy's 4.1 ypc.

Therefore, even though stats do not tell it all, 4.1 ypc is arguably NOT above average.

Regardless, if you are of the opinion that he is better than average then I am happy for you. :drink:

Actually, there were 14.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you, although you seem to want to convince me. I cannot, however, in good conscience, hold a back to a stat like YPC when he runs behind one of the worst lines in the NFL.

We are also always being told what a detriment that not having a FB is to the RB. If you figure those two handicaps into the equation, Mendenhall may be the best RB in the NFL!

I'm not going that far, of course, because the case for a FB in today's NFL is overstated. But the detriment of running behind a shitty line needs to be figured into the mix. It at least mitigates some of his ability and skill. All I'm saying is that in a one-back set which Mendy predominantly plays in, and being on the field in a lot of goalline and short yardage situations, running behind a shoddy line chips away at that stat...so it's a little unfair to judge him solely on that...

steelerdude15
08-20-2012, 02:13 PM
You are apparently upset with me for saying I don't want Hampton and Mendenhall starting. So that must mean you want them to start over McLendon and Redman, right? So why are you against Redman and McLendon starting?

Aren't you complaining about my current and previous posts/statements?

So then why the absurd claim? You said I criticize every player for every single thing.

And you don't know me so why say I criticize every player for every single thing?

That's not proof. Your claim was I criticize every player for every single thing. Who on here hasn't criticized Dixon, Kordell, Burress, option QBs, the Wallace situation, or Mendenhall's style of running? Seems to me double-standards are being set.

If you respected my opinion then why are you so bothered when a fan points out who he thinks should be starting or who is a liability? Are you saying Dixon was a good pick? Are you saying Kordell was better than O'Donnell? In your attempt at proof you made a mistake when you copy/pasted my comment, "O'Donnell was a thousand times better than the overly, pathetic Kordell". Am I criticizing O'Donnell?

You are saying I criticize every player. So in return I asked you that question. See how you reacted?

If you were disagreeing with my statement then you would have replied with an argument as to why you think Hampton and Mendenhall should start over McLendon and Redman. Claiming I criticize every player for every single thing doesn't look like much of a disagreement as to who I feel should be starting.

And there are plenty of times where I praised a decision, a play called etc... You, like so many other people who dislike certain opinions, have selective reading skills. You read only what you want to read.

James Harrison and Troy Polamalu, to name a couple, but they are not going to be without criticism if they screw up, if their play diminishes etc...

Who ever said I was against Redman and McLendon starting? I would love for them to start because I feel that they could contribute to the team in positive ways. I just like the fact that Mendenhall and Hampton are coming back. I want to see them play as well.

You can consider my previous posts as complaints, but I would rather consider them disagreements. Once again, I respect your opinion, I'm just disagreeing with it. The reason why I reacted the way I did was because I just feel that every post about a player that comes from you is a negative post. Rarely, do you ever say anything positive about a player. I'm also not trying to set a double standard. I read everyone else posts and I also disagree with them. I also, do not have selective readings skills, I rarely see you post a praise of a decision that's made. For example, you liked it when the Steelers drafted DeCastro, which we all liked. However, this probably one of the only positive posts I've seen. Maybe your the type of person who's like me who doesn't post every single thing that's on their mind and that's fine. You don't have to, I don't.

Bottom line, I try to be as optimistic about everything in life including sports. I'm not saying that your a pessimistic person because I don't know you, but your posts have been very pessimistic towards players. There are times where I criticize a player or a decision like I mentioned earlier, but I feel you that you do it so much on the forum. I guess when it boils down it to, I just disagree with certain posts, but more or less the way you present your arguments.

GBMelBlount
08-20-2012, 03:17 PM
Actually, there were 14.

Look, I'm not trying to convince you, although you seem to want to convince me. I cannot, however, in good conscience, hold a back to a stat like YPC when he runs behind one of the worst lines in the NFL.

We are also always being told what a detriment that not having a FB is to the RB. If you figure those two handicaps into the equation, Mendenhall may be the best RB in the NFL!

I'm not going that far, of course, because the case for a FB in today's NFL is overstated. But the detriment of running behind a shitty line needs to be figured into the mix. It at least mitigates some of his ability and skill. All I'm saying is that in a one-back set which Mendy predominantly plays in, and being on the field in a lot of goalline and short yardage situations, running behind a shoddy line chips away at that stat...so it's a little unfair to judge him solely on that...

I was only pointing out YPC because you had stated that he was an above average back in every worthwhile statistical category. 14th is not above average in my opinion.

Your points regarding no fullback and shitty line are well taken and may certainly help explain his YPC being average but it is a bit of a leap argue that he may be the best in the league.

suitanim
08-20-2012, 03:40 PM
I was being sarcastic. Let me try again....

Mendenhall averaged over 4 YPC without a FB and with a retarded OC! Amazing!

See?

He's a good back. He makes things happen when the line breaks down. He doesn't smash his head into the defense, but he's shifty and shucks and jives. We are a diminished offense without him. The Steelers know this. Haley knows this. Tomlin knows this. Ben knows this. It's not super important that anyone else does...

GBMelBlount
08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
I was being sarcastic. Let me try again....

Mendenhall averaged over 4 YPC without a FB and with a retarded OC! Amazing!

See?

He's a good back. He makes things happen when the line breaks down. He doesn't smash his head into the defense, but he's shifty and shucks and jives. We are a diminished offense without him. The Steelers know this. Haley knows this. Tomlin knows this. Ben knows this. It's not super important that anyone else does...

Right. I forgot about his shiftyness and shucking and jiving...admittedly he does indeed excel at lateral movement....:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
yeah we all know the olinw sucks, but when mendenhall would juke and jive around for no gain, redman would make the decision to not give a fuck and plow forward with only a cut or two along the way. He's still shown growth imo in his time here and id love to see what he can do for a long time here.

86WARD
08-21-2012, 08:03 AM
Lol @ people saying the OLine "sucks.". It far from sucks...hilarious...

suitanim
08-21-2012, 10:10 AM
Lol @ people saying the OLine "sucks.". It far from sucks...hilarious...

Yes...it has historically probably been WORSE than sucky since we drafted Mendenhall.

And here is what I know about RB's being tackled by 3 defenders 2 yards deep in the backfield: I'd rather have a guy try and escape than to put his head down and smash through. The latter sounds like an injury waiting to happen. Mendenhall has battled injuries, but he's also seen a lot of carries over the last few years. And, let's face it, he's not been out with turf toe. I think Stabbit Rays injury to him was a fluke, and his ACL is a legit injury that could happen to any player at any time on any down. I don't think he's injury-prone, but we don't know if Redman is or isn't yet. It's not a great sign that, as feature back, he hasn't even made it out of camp without a groin injury.

(Not comparing him directly, just using it as an example) I also know that I'd rather have a Barry Sanders-type guy behind a bad line than an Earl Campbell type.

polamalubeast
08-22-2012, 03:26 PM
Hampton & Mendenhall in pads today per @BobLabriola #steelers

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/238367897993482240

suitanim
08-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Wow.

Fast.

That's good.

polamalubeast
08-22-2012, 03:44 PM
this is fast as Adrian Peterson for Mendenhall!!

Psycho Ward 86
08-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Hampton & Mendenhall in pads today per @BobLabriola #steelers

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot/status/238367897993482240

Cool, any word from other sources on how much contact theyre allowed to have in practice?

polamalubeast
08-22-2012, 03:56 PM
for the contact....I don't know right now

SteelerFanInStl
08-22-2012, 09:01 PM
this is fast as Adrian Peterson for Mendenhall!!

I saw Peterson on NFL Access the other night doing some drills. He's nowhere close to being able to play. I'd imagine that Mendy is the same.

suitanim
08-23-2012, 05:30 AM
I just want EVERYONE healthy and playing. The more weapons in the arsenal, the better...