PDA

View Full Version : Steelers linebacker Farrior: better, not older

Galax Steeler
07-20-2010, 03:10 AM
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. — Ask inside linebacker and co-captain James Farrior about the uneven performance of the Steelers defense last season, and he doesn't hesitate to point the finger of blame at himself.

"I left a lot of plays out on the field. There were some situations I could have played a lot better," Farrior said Monday following a three-hour workout at ESPN Wide World of Sports. "No matter what anybody says, we had a bad year. I didn't play as well as I wanted to play, and I know a lot of guys on the team felt the same way."

Finishing 9-7 a year after winning Super Bowl XLIII, the Steelers missed the playoffs by one game, For Farrior, a player accustomed to an overabundance of success during 13 NFL seasons, not reaching the postseason was unacceptable.

Especially when Farrior didn't perform up to his normal lofty standards.

At 35 and the second-oldest player on the team (behind quarterback Charlie Batch), Farrior suggests he's getting better, not older. He also predicts a turnaround not only for himself, but for a defense that's anxious to reclaim its status among the league's most dominant units.

Farrior said media criticism regarding his individual performance — despite leading the team in tackles four consecutive seasons — has given him unexpected motivation.

"That adds fuel to the fire. That's one of the motivating factors for me — how bad we played last year. You're going to do everything in your power not to let that happen again," said Farrior, who is entering the third year of a five-year contract. "Whenever people doubt you, say negative stuff about you, as a competitor, you try to prove everybody wrong. It makes you want to work that much harder.

"I don't feel like the oldest guy on the team. Age is just a number. I don't want to put a time limit on anything. As long as my body feels healthy, as long as I'm mentally into it, I want to keep playing."

That's why Farrior, who calls defensive signals, was pushing himself under the watchful eye of speed and conditioning guru Tom Shaw only 11 days before the opening of training camp.

Based on yesterday's workout, Farrior didn't act his age. He didn't take extra water breaks in the stifling heat and humidity and went all-out in every drill.

"That's why I come down here with Tom. He knows how to get people in shape," Farrior said. "He treats everybody the same. We know when he gives us a drill, it's going to be very beneficial for us."

Farrior appears determined to bounce back from last season. He remains confident he hasn't lost a step and sees no reason why he shouldn't be on the field for passing downs.

Dating to 2001 in his final season with the New York Jets before joining the Steelers as a free agent, Farrior has started 140 of a possible 144 games. He hasn't missed a start since 2005.

"That's my goal, to be out there as much as I can," said Farrior, who made it clear he believes he's the best player for the position. "I never want to come off the field. As far as the coaching goes, that's up to them what they decide to do."

Even after all these years, Farrior still believes his game has room for improvement.

"If I didn't feel that way, I wouldn't be out here busting my butt every day. If I didn't think I could get better and help this team try to get to another championship, I would give it up," Farrior said. "I understand that I'm getting older and I'm not getting any faster or stronger, but as long as I can maintain that high level of play, I still want to play."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_691133.html

Butch
07-20-2010, 03:47 AM
Yeah last year was a pretty bad year all around. I still remember him missing the tackle against Cincy that would have sealed the game for us, but in all honesty he wasn't the only one who did not perform as expected. I am hoping that last year was just an anomaly and not an indication of things to come. I am sure losing not only Troy but Aaron and Foote as well was a major contributor to why we could not protect leads. Hopefully we stay healthy and get back to our 2008 form.

Man that was one helluva year!!!

steelpride12
07-20-2010, 08:18 AM
I love Farrior he is a true leader and captain for the defense. I think age has caught up to him for sure and you saw that last season, but it was a team and defensive effort as a whole that made them as poor as they were. Seems like Farrior and the entire D are really putting their foot down early and preparing to bring back that nasty D we all saw in 08'

atlsteelers
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
old man farrior cost us the cinci game and the baltimore game. i hope he plays better this season or he may be on his way out. overall he has had a great career but he is getting old.

Canadian Steeler Nation
07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
One bad year means youre unlucky, two bad years means your old. Lets wait and see, I think Mr. Farrior has got a bit left in the tank.

vasteeler
07-20-2010, 10:23 AM
old man farrior cost us the cinci game and the baltimore game. i hope he plays better this season or he may be on his way out. overall he has had a great career but he is getting old.

i blame that on who ever decided to have pottsie cover ray rice :old:

Austin87
07-20-2010, 10:47 AM
When Farrior has a off season he is getting old...but what about Taylor,Gay,Timmons and Clark. They also had bad seasons, are they getting old as well? Lets be honest, there isn't a LB on our team that can cover Ray Rice one-on-one.

Like Canadian Steeler Nation said, if he plays as bad and slow as last season then time has probably caught up with him.