PDA

View Full Version : Steelers among NFL's deepest teams

polamalubeast
08-16-2012, 03:19 PM
The Pittsburgh Steelers are among the NFL's deepest teams, according to our friends at Football Outsiders . This opinion will get tested as injuries have hit the Steelers as they wrap up another training camp at St. Vincent College.

This is an Insider piece, which means you'll need a subscription to read the entire article, but here's a portion on the Steelers:
Much like Green Bay, a lot of the functional depth accumulated by Pittsburgh impacts the passing game. The Steelers have a trio of talented corners behind incumbent No. 1 Ike Taylor, including FO top-25 prospect Cortez Allen. No Mike Wallace? Well, that's eventually going to be a problem, yes. But the Steelers are better equipped than most to weather the storm, thanks to Antonio Brown and Emmanuel Sanders. Strong, stable organizations tend to have a lot of backup plans, and the Steelers are nothing if not stable.

The Steelers are reaching deep on the depth chart at running back and outside linebacker. Baron Batch, who was the team's third or fourth back to start camp (depending on how you ranked him and John Clay), took the reps with the first-team offense Wednesday and should do the same Thursday. And Chris Carter, who would sit behind James Harrison and Jason Worilds if they weren't on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list, is expected to start Sunday against the Colts.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/52739/steelers-among-nfls-deepest-teams?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

X-Terminator
08-16-2012, 03:38 PM
What's this? A story that says the Steelers aren't old and over the hill? How in the world did this get by the Everything Sawx and Pinstripes Network editors?

SteelerEmpire
08-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Based off the 1st preseason game I don't agree with this article...

polamalubeast
08-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Based off the 1st preseason game I don't agree with this article...

the steelers are 16-6 in preseason since 2007....

SteelerEmpire
08-16-2012, 05:32 PM

Yes that's true, but this article is stressing that the team has "depth". At some positions, yes. But off the top of my head, if anyone of the starters get's hurt in the secondary, we "appear" to be in big trouble. But that's just based off the 1st game.

GBMelBlount
08-16-2012, 08:08 PM
We have a lot of splash players and a lot of depth. Just like Green Bay.

...and the preseason means very little.

Nadroj 20
08-16-2012, 08:18 PM

What does our pre-season record over the last 5 years have anything to do with our current depth?

Nadroj 20
08-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Yes that's true, but this article is stressing that the team has "depth". At some positions, yes. But off the top of my head, if anyone of the starters get's hurt in the secondary, we "appear" to be in big trouble. But that's just based off the 1st game.

I agree. There are some positions that are scary if injury happens.

An obvious one would be Quarterback.

tube517
08-16-2012, 11:06 PM
This article should be pulled. Steelers are going 0-32 in the next 2 years. BSPN knows it all. Jameson Jackhole should get a Pulitzer Prize :sarcasm:

Craic
08-17-2012, 02:37 AM
You all are really slipping. I thought for sure someone would have pulled the "We have starters, and starters in waiting," Tomlinism out of their back pocket by now.

86WARD
08-17-2012, 06:27 AM
This team is FAAAAR from deep. Maybe at WR, after that, thus team is thin...