PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace to return by Week 1

polamalubeast
08-14-2012, 08:49 AM
Mike Wallace has been absent so far for the Pittsburgh Steelers' training camp but he's expected to return by the time games count.

The wide receiver, who hasn't signed his tender offer from the Steelers as he wants a long-term contract, is expected to report to the team before the regular season begins, people who have spoken to him told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Tuesday.

The Steelers refuse to negotiate with Wallace on a new deal until he shows up and signs his tender.

Wallace, a starter in the Pro Bowl last season, was offered a one-year, $2.7 million tender by Pittsburgh. He has not signed it and did not take part in any of the Steelers' offseason workouts or minicamp.

read more

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp12/story/_/id/8267770/mike-wallace-pittsburgh-steelers-back-week-1-sources-say?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

fansince'76
08-14-2012, 08:59 AM
We'll see. Thing is, the Steelers STOP negotiating contracts when the games start to count...

polamalubeast
08-14-2012, 09:03 AM
We'll see. Thing is, the Steelers STOP negotiating contracts when the games start to count...

To be honest, I think his season will probably be worse than Chris Johnson or DeSean Jackson in 2011 and he will surely have an injury in early season because he missed the training camp(as Revis in 2010)

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2012, 09:18 AM
lol, is this article a joke. gotta love these random, connecting-the-dots articles

fansince'76
08-14-2012, 09:27 AM
lol, is this article a joke. gotta love these random, connecting-the-dots articles

Well, it IS ESPN. Further, it IS Ravens homer extraordinaire Hensley...

polamalubeast
08-14-2012, 09:29 AM

No....Adam Schefter

steeldawg
08-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Adam Schefter usually has his finger on the pulse of the nfl, so I think he will be back week one. I also think we will give him the contract he wants because hes worth it.

fansince'76
08-14-2012, 09:37 AM
No....Adam Schefter

Information from ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter, ESPN.com AFC North blogger Jamison Hensley and The Associated Press was used in this report.

Irregardless, if it comes from Disney Channel II, I immediately question it.

Devilsdancefloor
08-14-2012, 09:39 AM
I agree h will have his worst season as a Pro and your right gary when AR2 tells him we dont negotiate new contract during the season he'll be so pissed, but at this point im meh over the whole deal

86WARD
08-14-2012, 10:35 AM
To be honest, I think his season will probably be worse than Chris Johnson or DeSean Jackson in 2011 and he will surely have an injury in early season because he missed the training camp(as Revis in 2010)

Said the exact same thing in one of the other threads. I feel like its safe to prepare fir the fact that he won't be around or effective for the while season. He's pretty much committing 2012 suicide...

Nadroj 20
08-14-2012, 11:00 AM
I believe it. I'll worry about his performance when the time comes.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, if this is true, let me be the first to say that this is good news.

Hindes204
08-14-2012, 12:20 PM
I still don't understand what he is trying to accomplish by sitting out the whole pre-season (if this article is accurate) in a year where we are starting with a new offense. Everyday he isn't present only hurts his ability to learn the new playbook.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 12:36 PM
I still don't understand what he is trying to accomplish by sitting out the whole pre-season (if this article is accurate) in a year where we are starting with a new offense. Everyday he isn't present only hurts his ability to learn the new playbook.

Maybe he just hates the grind...he wouldn't be the first.

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2012, 01:17 PM

he could play just 6 games this season and still get credited for a whole season and get a monster contract just like vincent jackson did. he's going for the money shot

Shoes
08-14-2012, 01:28 PM

Indeed....go take a Hensley and wipe my ESPN... :chuckle:

NJarhead
08-14-2012, 01:36 PM
Precisely and he'll get "the tag" next year.

The Duke
08-14-2012, 01:41 PM
he could play just 6 games this season and still get credited for a whole season and get a monster contract just like vincent jackson did. he's going for the money shot

but wasn't that in 2010? He was franchised last season and played all games

though we probably can't afford a receiver franchise tag...

st33lersguy
08-14-2012, 02:00 PM
He has to play starting week 1 if he wants Larry Fitzgerald money. Of course there is a strong possibility that he could struggle early

SMR
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm sorry I'm officially fed up with Mike Wallace. Screw his stupidity.

Count Steeler
08-14-2012, 04:16 PM
Why would he wait until game 1? New OC, new offense, should spend a few weeks with the team if he wants to put up any half way decent numbers. Unless he figures he will be a Steeler next year as well, so he is just doing the minimum before hitting the big time.

Steeldude
08-14-2012, 05:05 PM

To me it shows he is an immature, lazy punk. I personally do not want him on the team. I say sign and trade the punk to a team like the Redskins.

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2012, 06:06 PM
He has to play starting week 1 if he wants Larry Fitzgerald money. Of course there is a strong possibility that he could struggle early

larry fitzgerald money? did wallace say that?

stillers4me
08-14-2012, 06:16 PM
larry fitzgerald money? did wallace say that?
No.

X-Terminator
08-14-2012, 08:31 PM
No.

Seems a lot of people overlook that.

I am unhappy about his holdout, but please...let's not bash him for something he's never said.

Nadroj 20
08-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I can understand Wallace to a point. What if this season he blows out his knee? Then he doesn't get his big pay day as soon anyway and maybe never who knows?

The thing is if he woulda just reported to camp the steelers probably would have negotiated with him and he woulda had his.new contract before the season started. Now once the season starts they are probably not going to concern themselves with it until afyer the season.

That is what wallaced has failed to realize.

katmandu
08-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Everyone knows, if he gets his butt to camp before Week 1, the front office will surely come up with a nice fat contract to satisfy his ego.

steelerdude15
08-14-2012, 10:19 PM
It's not really bothering me to be completely honest. It would be nice to see him at training camp, but there is only so much we can do as fans and that only thing is to sit and watch. Just makes you wonder what will happen after this upcoming season.

60_MINUTES
08-14-2012, 10:50 PM
Adam Schefter usually has his finger on the pulse of the nfl, so I think he will be back week one. I also think we will give him the contract he wants because hes worth it.

the contract he wants is 12 to 15 mil a season.........really???? you think he is worth that... You dont know the steelers my friend.. we will not pay....or excuse me over pay for a WR who has speed and average hands... he is a 9 mil dollar receiver but for some reason thinks hes a 15 mil dollar man... Funny thing is every team had the chance to sign him... NONE did. Bottom line is I agree we are better with him and he deserves to get paid good money but what he wants he does not deserve... by the way how did the other receivers hurt us when they left... Plex... Holmes...Wallace etc.. come on... this is the steelers we will not over pay for a WR.. they just dont matter that much in the whole scheme of things... We win superbowls either way

bayz101
08-14-2012, 11:06 PM
First of all, Wallace never said he wanted 15 million dollars. With all the different figures being thrown around by "analysts" I wouldn't buy too much into any of that mumbo jumbo. Secondly, restricted free-agents rarely sign elsewhere, especially a first-round restrict. I DO NOT by ANY means think Wallace is worth 15 million. Hell, I can hardly fathom 10 million, but I think he's not getting all of the credit he deserves. He's stayed of the IR, he's fast, and he has GREAT hands. If his clutch-factor kicks in, we have one of the best receivers in the NFL annually.

steeldawg
08-14-2012, 11:16 PM
the contract he wants is 12 to 15 mil a season.........really???? you think he is worth that... You dont know the steelers my friend.. we will not pay....or excuse me over pay for a WR who has speed and average hands... he is a 9 mil dollar receiver but for some reason thinks hes a 15 mil dollar man... Funny thing is every team had the chance to sign him... NONE did. Bottom line is I agree we are better with him and he deserves to get paid good money but what he wants he does not deserve... by the way how did the other receivers hurt us when they left... Plex... Holmes...Wallace etc.. come on... this is the steelers we will not over pay for a WR.. they just dont matter that much in the whole scheme of things... We win superbowls either way

First I have not heard Wallace ask for any dollar amount. Second we just gave antonio brown 8 mil a year after 1 decent season in which he scored 2 tds. Third Dwyane Bowe was tagged this season at 9.5 a year and vincent jackson is getting 11, wallace is better than both. Last wallaces numbers over his first 3 seasons have been great, and only 2 recievers have put up better numbers over their first 3 seasons and that was jerry rice and randy moss. Does he deserve it according to the market he does, and the steelers will get a deal done. I would like to see where wallace is asking for 12-15 mil

X-Terminator
08-15-2012, 01:19 AM

I'm starting to wonder if people have really been paying attention to this entire situation. Mike Wallace has never - not once - asked for Larry Fitzgerald money, Megatron money, $12 million a year or $15 million a year. He's never asked for it himself, his agent has never asked for it, his trainer Tom Shaw says he's never asked for it, and several Steelers have said he's never asked for it. Quit listening to what the media is telling you, because they have one agenda ONLY, and that is to get ratings/hits. If they have to pull things out of their asses, they will. Again, I do not like that he is holding out, but fans need to take a step back and quit putting words in the man's mouth. I predict that it won't be long after he reports to camp that he will get his contract, and Steelers fans will love him again.

steelreserve
08-15-2012, 04:27 AM
he turned down $10m a year; fuck him. Show up and get your ass back on the field and perform well for ... I dunno ... 4 or 5 years without any more bitching, and THEN I'll start to respect you as more than a greedy hotdogging diva again.

steeldawg
08-15-2012, 05:05 AM
he turned down $10m a year; fuck him. Show up and get your ass back on the field and perform well for ... I dunno ... 4 or 5 years without any more bitching, and THEN I'll start to respect you as more than a greedy hotdogging diva again.

Well first I really dont think Wallace cares if you respect him or not. Second yes he turned down the contract because it only gauranteed 8million of it. In the nfl its all about the gauranteed money because your career can end on any play, so I dont blame him for wanting more of the contract gauranteed, i would do the same thing.

steelers_switzerland
08-15-2012, 05:09 AM
so I dont blame him for wanting more of the contract gauranteed, i would do the same thing.

this.

suitanim
08-15-2012, 06:28 AM
I heard he said he'd be back for the last preseason game...if this is true, probably time to stop bad-mouthing the guy and start hoping he can help the offense...

Nadroj 20
08-15-2012, 06:56 AM
Diva. Greedy. Lol

Wallace has been a class act the whole time he's been in Pittsburgh. The moment the relationship starts to strain just a bit because of BUSINESS people hate him and automatically associate him with other diva WR?

Same people that will easily forget this whole thing if he goes for 75, 1,250 and 10

Nadroj 20
08-15-2012, 07:00 AM
And another thing...Wallace has handled this situation with a lot of class and professionalism. He hasn't once bad mouthed the organization during his hold out. He is simply doing what he feels is best and i can't knock a guy for that. Even if I do disagree it's his choicw and im going to respect it.

steelers_switzerland
08-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Absolutely Nadroj! I will be mad if he 1) doesn't show up by Week 1 and 2) doesn't play well this year

For now, it's a business thing, and that what's todays NFL about, so i can't be mad at him. He doesn't want to get hurt in Camp, FO doesn't want to negotiate until he shows up. I can understand both sides and i would do the same, i wouldn't risk my financial future in TC. I think he'll be here by end of August and will play under his new contract in Denver.

polamalubeast
08-15-2012, 07:51 PM
Wallace Buzz Getting Loud

LATROBE – The buzz is growing that Mike Wallace will return soon to the Steelers, possibly very soon if we are to believe his excited teammates.
Jerricho Cotchery was asked if he expects Wallace to return to the team next week.

“Definitely,” he said. “I think he’s a great player and a great teammate. We love him around here so we’ll be very excited when he gets back.”

Cotchery was asked if Wallace would have enough time to get ready for the season.

“I think one of the greatest of all time, Jerry Rice, trained in a way that he was doing football stuff,” Cotchery said. “I think Wallace is doing similar things. He’ll be ready to go. He’s just a guy that has always worked hard and I think he’ll be ready to go when he gets back here. We have a smart staff and a great training staff, so he’ll be OK.”

Emmanuel Sanders is also sharing in the Wallace buzz.

“He has his own little plan,” Sanders said. “But I know that myself, you guys and Steeler Nation are just ecstatic about him saying that he’s going to come back. For the longest time we didn’t know when he was going to come back, but it’s starting to look really good. There’s light at the end of the tunnel at training camp and for Wallace coming back. Everything is starting to come together.”

The Steelers will begin practicing at their South Side facility next week.

http://pit.scout.com/2/1211874.html

Steeldude
08-15-2012, 08:10 PM
I'm starting to wonder if people have really been paying attention to this entire situation. Mike Wallace has never - not once - asked for Larry Fitzgerald money, Megatron money, $12 million a year or $15 million a year. He's never asked for it himself, his agent has never asked for it, his trainer Tom Shaw says he's never asked for it, and several Steelers have said he's never asked for it. Quit listening to what the media is telling you, because they have one agenda ONLY, and that is to get ratings/hits. If they have to pull things out of their asses, they will. Again, I do not like that he is holding out, but fans need to take a step back and quit putting words in the man's mouth. I predict that it won't be long after he reports to camp that he will get his contract, and Steelers fans will love him again.

I cannot see him signing for less than Brown's contract. Can you?

Wasn't it confirmed that he turned down $10,000,000 a year?

BigNastyDefense
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
First of all, Wallace never said he wanted 15 million dollars. With all the different figures being thrown around by "analysts" I wouldn't buy too much into any of that mumbo jumbo. Secondly, restricted free-agents rarely sign elsewhere, especially a first-round restrict. I DO NOT by ANY means think Wallace is worth 15 million. Hell, I can hardly fathom 10 million, but I think he's not getting all of the credit he deserves. He's stayed of the IR, he's fast, and he has GREAT hands. If his clutch-factor kicks in, we have one of the best receivers in the NFL annually.

He can't go anywhere else this year unless the Steelers were to trade his rights. However, if he shows up and plays the last six games, he gets the accrued season and it will have been his fourth, meaning he would his unrestricted free agency. The Steelers could hit him with the transition or franchise tag next offseason, but I doubt they use either because the transition tag is basically useless and he'll cost to much to franchise due to our cap situation. Therefore, unless the Steelers either cut some massive contracts in the offseason to franchise him, he'd hit the market and probably go to the highest bidder.

The Steelers aren't going to give him what he wants, they will sign him to a deal that works for both sides or they won't sign him at all. What Wallace is missing, however, is that once the season starts there will be NO MORE negotiating contracts until the season has ended. So if he doesn't get his speedy ass in camp soon, he will end up having to play under his tender anyhow (no matter of it's the entire season or a part of it).

I don't want to lose Wallace, I think he's a very, very good receiver. However, he hasn't shown me much more than speed. Remember, Tomlin calls him "One-Trick" (as in one-trick pony), and while it's in jest (for the most part) there is some truth to that statement. He can blow the top off of a defense as good as I have ever seen (and that includes Randy Moss)...but he doesn't have a lot of other attributes outside of his good hands.

He can't go up and get the ball like a Moss or an Owens because he doesn't have their size. He also doesn't seem to do as well in traffic like Hines Ward was known for. I think part of that is his size, he doesn't want to get blown up on a crossing route, so we don't ask him to do that stuff very often.

Antonio Brown is going to be a better all-around receiver than Wallace ever will be. Losing Wallace to free agency after this season would hurt some, but it wouldn't be crippling to this team.

And honestly, all he is doing now is pissing off Tomlin and the Rooneys. His point has been made very clearly, he wants a long term deal. If he wants it that bad, then he needs to follow the guidelines that the Steelers have in place (get your ass in camp and we will negotiate). Pissing off the man you want to give you that extension (AR II) isn't a good idea, the more pissed he is, the less he will be willing to budge when it does finally come time to negotiate again (be it before the season starts or next offseason).

polamalubeast
08-15-2012, 08:43 PM
in the latest news that I had, it seems that this is the guaranteed money that the steelers and Wallace are not in agreement right now

5/50 millions is not the problem...the problem is the guaranteed money

X-Terminator
08-15-2012, 08:50 PM
I cannot see him signing for less than Brown's contract. Can you?

Wasn't it confirmed that he turned down $10,000,000 a year?

It was because of the guaranteed money, not the total contract amount, as to why he turned it down. The Steelers only offered $8 million guaranteed, and he feels he's worth more than that. I don't disagree, so long as it's not some insane amount. His numbers alone justify more than that. You have to remember - whatever the contract says as far as average annual value doesn't really mean a whole lot. It's the guaranteed money that makes the difference and is what also affects the cap hit down the road. And no, he will not sign for less than what Brown got, nor should he.

steeldawg
08-15-2012, 09:27 PM
He can't go anywhere else this year unless the Steelers were to trade his rights. However, if he shows up and plays the last six games, he gets the accrued season and it will have been his fourth, meaning he would his unrestricted free agency. The Steelers could hit him with the transition or franchise tag next offseason, but I doubt they use either because the transition tag is basically useless and he'll cost to much to franchise due to our cap situation. Therefore, unless the Steelers either cut some massive contracts in the offseason to franchise him, he'd hit the market and probably go to the highest bidder.

The Steelers aren't going to give him what he wants, they will sign him to a deal that works for both sides or they won't sign him at all. What Wallace is missing, however, is that once the season starts there will be NO MORE negotiating contracts until the season has ended. So if he doesn't get his speedy ass in camp soon, he will end up having to play under his tender anyhow (no matter of it's the entire season or a part of it).

I don't want to lose Wallace, I think he's a very, very good receiver. However, he hasn't shown me much more than speed. Remember, Tomlin calls him "One-Trick" (as in one-trick pony), and while it's in jest (for the most part) there is some truth to that statement. He can blow the top off of a defense as good as I have ever seen (and that includes Randy Moss)...but he doesn't have a lot of other attributes outside of his good hands.

He can't go up and get the ball like a Moss or an Owens because he doesn't have their size. He also doesn't seem to do as well in traffic like Hines Ward was known for. I think part of that is his size, he doesn't want to get blown up on a crossing route, so we don't ask him to do that stuff very often.

Antonio Brown is going to be a better all-around receiver than Wallace ever will be. Losing Wallace to free agency after this season would hurt some, but it wouldn't be crippling to this team.

And honestly, all he is doing now is pissing off Tomlin and the Rooneys. His point has been made very clearly, he wants a long term deal. If he wants it that bad, then he needs to follow the guidelines that the Steelers have in place (get your ass in camp and we will negotiate). Pissing off the man you want to give you that extension (AR II) isn't a good idea, the more pissed he is, the less he will be willing to budge when it does finally come time to negotiate again (be it before the season starts or next offseason).

Wow AB a better all around reciever than wallace??? This has yet to be seen, his year was decent last year but lets not jump the gun. AB's success last season was because of wallace, beginning of the year wallace was killing it so teams had to double and sometimes triple him giving ab a wide open field to work with.

Psycho Ward 86
08-15-2012, 10:13 PM

interesting. you found this where?

steelers_switzerland
08-16-2012, 04:12 AM
The thing is Wallace gets the best out ouf AB and vice versa. We need both. And with Sanders as probably the best #3 WR in the League, that is what makes our WR corps so dangerous. Another important piece is of course Heath Miller. They complement each others and in my opinion, our passing attack will suffer if you take one away.

And Wallace deserves the bigger contract than AB imho. His numbers over the first 3 years are outstanding and there are 24 Touchdowns. In discussions like this, i always wonder why this rarely comes up, when you compare the two. AB didn't score a lot by now and had this one good season. If AB is worth $8m guaranteed a year only because of his receiveing yards in one year and his upside, Wallace is worth arround $12m guaranteed a year.

86WARD
08-16-2012, 06:26 AM

He didn't turn down that money per say, he turned down the wording of the contract...

suitanim
08-16-2012, 09:36 AM
The thing is Wallace gets the best out ouf AB and vice versa. We need both. And with Sanders as probably the best #3 WR in the League, that is what makes our WR corps so dangerous. Another important piece is of course Heath Miller. They complement each others and in my opinion, our passing attack will suffer if you take one away.

This I agree with. How many times have we seen effective #1 and #2 go their separate ways and then the parts of the equation not equal the sum of them playing together. Alvin Harper and Michael Irvin come to mind, particularly Harper, who signed a giant contract with (IIRC) Tampa and then disappeared. Irvin fared better, but those two needed each other.

Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanshoebomber are a more recent example. CJ had a couple decent years after that couple broke up, but TJ completely disappeared. Notice it's the former #2's who suffer the most in these cases.

All in all, I'd prefer they stay together...

Psycho Ward 86
08-16-2012, 11:07 AM
i dont understand why the guaranteed money was so low. Even if that was offered to the most humble, effective, team-player type of guy on the roster, i wouldnt blame them for turning that down. I cant remember the last time guaranteed money was that low in comparison to the total worth of the contract for an impact player.

steelers_switzerland
08-16-2012, 11:08 AM
TJ Houshmanshoebomber

mwaahahaha :rofl2::rofl:

i dont understand why the guaranteed money was so low. Even if that was offered to the most humble, effective, team-player type of guy on the roster, i wouldnt blame them for turning that down. I cant remember the last time guaranteed money was that low in comparison to the total worth of the contract for an impact player.

i think it was a start... i mean it's business, you try to make a good deal, if it doesn't work, you bet higher... but sometimes it goes wrong and somebody is pissed off. now wallace made his point and will be back this weekend and in a week or two they have a deal. my bold prediction for today :)

oneforthetoe
08-16-2012, 12:14 PM
This I agree with. How many times have we seen effective #1 and #2 go their separate ways and then the parts of the equation not equal the sum of them playing together. Alvin Harper and Michael Irvin come to mind, particularly Harper, who signed a giant contract with (IIRC) Tampa and then disappeared. Irvin fared better, but those two needed each other.

Chad Johnson and TJ Houshmanshoebomber are a more recent example. CJ had a couple decent years after that couple broke up, but TJ completely disappeared. Notice it's the former #2's who suffer the most in these cases.

All in all, I'd prefer they stay together...

That was the due to the curse of the terrible towel.