PDA

View Full Version : Valley grad Clemons hoping to nail down Steelers roster spot

LLT
08-13-2012, 05:36 AM
TribLive
By Ralph N. Paulk
August 13, 2012

Toney Clemons, a relatively unheralded seventh-round pick from Colorado, understands he must deliver when given a chance before the Steelers trim their roster.

The Valley High School graduate has to be nothing short of spectacular in practice and exhibition games. There’s hardly room to err, considering the depth at receiver — even with Mike Wallace embroiled in a contract dispute.

Although the odds seemingly are against him, Clemons and rookie Marquis Maze are likely to be given ample opportunities against Indianapolis on Sunday to impress offensive coordinator Todd Haley and receivers coach Scottie Montgomery.

Clemons came away without a catch in his first NFL action Thursday at Philadelphia. However, he was solid on special teams.

“It was surreal but at the same time exciting,” Clemons said. “It was competitive and fun, yet a dream come true. It solidified all the hard work I’ve put in over the years.

“It wasn’t like college. It was a much faster pace. It was the highest level of intensity. It was certainly a learning experience.”

Clemons will have to work even harder to earn a roster spot alongside Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. The Steelers have deep threats in Brown and Wallace, possession receivers in Cotchery and tight end Heath Miller.

Read More: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2384335-85/clemons-steelers-catch-receivers-special-teams-chance-hoping-level-lot

Galax Steeler
08-14-2012, 05:07 AM
I think he will make the practice squad. He has alot of good receivers ahead of him so it will be hard.

86WARD
08-14-2012, 07:34 AM
I tend to agree Galax. Wallace, Brown, Sanders, Cotch, Rainey would all be better talents right now than Clemons.

steelers_switzerland
08-14-2012, 01:12 PM
i see Clemons behind Beiler and probably behind Williams so far. With his drops in camp and the quiet game he has to show a lot more in the next games. I think he'll go to the practice squad.

Chidi29
08-14-2012, 03:20 PM
It looks like Clemons is only behind Williams and probably neck and neck with Maze right now. But as I've said before, very fluid situation.

Count Steeler
08-14-2012, 04:18 PM
Will probably make it if he impresses on ST.