PDA

View Full Version : Plaxico Burress Not The Redzone Threat He Is Made Out To Be

Steeldude
08-12-2012, 04:35 AM
This is an article from last summer. I keep hearing about how great Burress is/was in the red zone. I don't remember Burress being much of a threat inside the 20. I do remember him being out-positioned by small DBs. I do remember Burress using his chest to catch the ball rather than extending his arms to catch it at its highest point.

Ever since Plaxico Burress was released from prison earlier this month, all most people want to talk about is how Burress can be a great redzone addition to their respective team, Steelers fans included. Maybe even quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is enamored with him. Most people tend to do this because of the size of Burress, but in reality, Burress does not live up to the redzone hype he gets. On the flip side, Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward does not get the redzone respect he deserves after all of his years in league and the stats back it up.

I pulled the set of numbers from 2002-2008 to back this argument up as 2008 was the last season that Burress played. I ranked the receivers regular season redzone receiving numbers below and listed only those that have targeted 80 or more times during those years.

Link below

Plaxico Burress Not The Redzone Threat He Is Made Out To Be (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/06/plaxico-burress-not-the-redzone-threat-he-is-made-out-to-be/)

GBMelBlount
08-12-2012, 07:15 AM
I am not sure pointing out that Burress is the 7th best in the NFL in touchdowns per target over a 6 year span supports the writer's assertion that Burress is not a red zone threat.

He sure drops a lot of ball though...

With Wallace apparently back soon I would imagine it is a moot point anyway...

steeldawg
08-12-2012, 12:56 PM
Burress in 2011 wr/te

Redzone targets- T 7th
Redzone catches- T10th
Redzone yards- 9th
Redzone TD's - T6th

Top ten in redzone categories last season not bad for a 34 year old reciever.