PDA

View Full Version : Wallace working out in Florida

polamalubeast
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Mike Wallace is training extensively in Florida and likely will report to Steelers training camp in the near future, according to the conditioning coach who has been working out the receiver for the past two weeks.

“He’s fast as lightning right now,” said Tom Shaw, who works with players such as Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor at the Disney Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando, Fla. “He’s not going to put himself in a bad situation (conditioning-wise) so that he couldn’t play in the first game.”

Shaw also told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Friday that the unsigned Wallace “is lifting, running, jumping, catching the ball — the same things he would be doing if he were in camp, except not he’s not getting hit.”

Shaw said Wallace won’t talk to the media until he reports to camp, which, he said, “has got to be pretty soon. (The Steelers) aren’t just going to let him sit out there.”

Wallace is remaining silent, Shaw said, “because he gets mad when people write things that are totally false. He doesn’t want a $100 million contract, a $50 million contract. He’s never told anybody that. He knows the Steelers aren’t talking, and he’s not talking.”

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/2388632-85/wallace-steelers-camp-shaw-contract-million-training-agent-aren-colbert

steel striker
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
Wake me up when when this is all settled.

BigPoppaG
08-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Cold care less about that ass clown. When he is wearing a Steeler uniform, then what he does will matter.:coffee:

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2012, 03:55 PM
Wallace is remaining silent, Shaw said, “because he gets mad when people write things that are totally false. He doesn’t want a $100 million contract, a $50 million contract. He’s never told anybody that. He knows the Steelers aren’t talking, and he’s not talking.”

this is the part everybody is forgetting. can anyone on this board tell me the EXACT source that said he wanted a larry fitzgerald contract? :lol: it didnt come from wallace. Right after that breaking "news" that wallace wanted that kind of contract came out, mike wallace tweeted that you shouldnt believe everything you read. a coincidence is doubtful. just because he isnt actively interacting with the media about whether every little aspect of his situation is true or false doesnt mean he is accepting everything the media is saying.

and i totally forgot that he trains with tom shaw. as long as he does that, he will have blistering speed for the rest of his days. just ask chris johnson, ike taylor, and deion sanders. come back wallace!

XxKnightxX
08-10-2012, 04:01 PM
Out of sight out of mind. He comes to camp, well see what happens, cant depend on someone who technically isnt even part of the team.

salamander
08-10-2012, 04:09 PM
I'll be happy when he's actually with the Steelers.

Nadroj 20
08-10-2012, 04:30 PM
Good. Glad to know he is still preparing for the season.

He is still being stupid by not coming to camp. It isn't doing anything positive for him at all.

steeldawg
08-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Oh yes I cant wait to have wallace sanders brown and rainey on the field at the same time, try and cover that group i dare you!

Edman
08-10-2012, 06:07 PM
He's not in camp. He's not wearing B&G. Don't give a damn.

Steeldude
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
He doesn’t want a $100 million contract, a $50 million contract

Didn't the Steelers offer him a large contract?

SteelerEmpire
08-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Encouraging. Last night's game was kind of boring without Wallace there...

Scatter
08-10-2012, 07:13 PM
Wallace who?

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Wallace who?

lol what.

Scatter
08-10-2012, 07:42 PM
lol what.

I don't know...........some "Wallace" dude working out in Florida. Looked at the roster for the preseason game and didn't see a "Wallace". Looked at the injury report, and.......you guessed it.......no "Wallace". I don't know who Wally is (I hope I can call him "Wally"), but he's not a part of the Steelers.

Pristas
08-10-2012, 08:07 PM
Didn't the Steelers offer him a large contract?

5/50mil. from what I heard. The problem was only having 8 mil. guaranteed. He wanted that higher.

steelerdude15
08-10-2012, 08:41 PM
I hope he shows up soon and its good to know he's training.

gosteelers
08-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Well of course he's coming back, someone has to take "Whiff" johnsons place on the roster!

steeldawg
08-10-2012, 10:24 PM
5/50mil. from what I heard. The problem was only having 8 mil. guaranteed. He wanted that higher.

Wow only 8 gaurenteed thats terrible? No wonder he didnt sign.

pepsyman1
08-10-2012, 10:48 PM

I have no problem with people trying to earn the most they can, but these players have all gotten way too greedy. These guys are being offered enough money PER SEASON for the average person to live on for LIFETIME. I have no sympathy for his situation till he gets his ass to camp

Count Steeler
08-10-2012, 10:54 PM
I must say, the only consistent thing Wallace has said is, "don't believe everything you hear". At this point, we don't know if it's the agent or he himself with this course of action. One thing is for sure, the Steelers don't negotiate unless you are in camp.

It will be nice to see Wallace back in camp, and yes he is still a Steeler, an unsigned Steeler, but he is still a Steeler.

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2012, 11:04 PM
I have no problem with people trying to earn the most they can, but these players have all gotten way too greedy. These guys are being offered enough money PER SEASON for the average person to live on for LIFETIME. I have no sympathy for his situation till he gets his ass to camp

how do you know you wouldnt do the same.

Steeldude
08-10-2012, 11:58 PM
Wow only 8 gaurenteed thats terrible? No wonder he didnt sign.

It's smart on the Steelers' part. I wouldn't have guaranteed Wallace very much either. For all we know he could turn into a fat cat. IMO, for the most part, he is a one-trick pony.

fansince'76
08-11-2012, 05:30 AM
It's smart on the Steelers' part. I wouldn't have guaranteed Wallace very much either. For all we know he could turn into a fat cat.

Agreed. And his actions up to now sure haven't done anything to dispel the notion that he would. Why back the Brinks truck up to his door if there's even a chance he might start "Randy Mossing" it (half-assing plays and taking plays off entirely)? He's already developed the annoying habit of not fighting for passes in traffic. Add in the fact that the leader by example of the WRs is now gone. Thankfully, Ward's humility and work ethic seem to have rubbed off on Brown, at least.

GBMelBlount
08-11-2012, 06:04 AM
Agreed - and with a healthy Sanders we could have three pro bowl quality receivers. Then it really makes sense for them to see how this season plays out...

Wallace seems so intense and goal oriented Gary that I am not sure I ever see him taking plays off....you just never know though.

Glad to hear he is working out with Shaw.

86WARD
08-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Who cares where he is "working out?" how many times have we heard about guys "working out" on their own, reporting to camp, then being injured. This has that scenario written all over it...all over it...

GBMelBlount
08-11-2012, 08:07 AM
Who cares where he is "working out?" how many times have we heard about guys "working out" on their own, reporting to camp, then being injured. This has that scenario written all over it...all over it...

Training with the top nfl trainer for three weeks = coming into camp and then being injured.

lol.

SteelerEmpire
08-11-2012, 08:16 AM
I must say, the only consistent thing Wallace has said is, "don't believe everything you hear". At this point, we don't know if it's the agent or he himself with this course of action. One thing is for sure, the Steelers don't negotiate unless you are in camp.

It will be nice to see Wallace back in camp, and yes he is still a Steeler, an unsigned Steeler, but he is still a Steeler.

Yep. I don't believe Wallace is the "bad guy" (for lack of a better term) that people are making him out to be. Sanders, Brown, and Wallace... the entire WR corps for this team are really good kids. Wallace seems to be a little bit smarter than we the public are interpreting. As long as this has a happy ending, I don't blame Wallace for taking advantage of this once in a lifetime opportunity to go for all the money he can. He grew up a poor kid in Louisiana... NOT EASY. So he needs all the money he can get because he may never get this opportunity again (especially if he gets injured). If Wallace ends up broke financially some day, the Steelers organization will still be a mega-million dollar franchise and (more than likely) still the flag-ship team of the league... without the lest bit of concern for Wallace's well being.

steelpride12
08-11-2012, 08:22 AM
I will be LOLing so hard when he comes back, get's a deal done, and dominates this season. I believe he is working his ass off in Florida, I do believe he will be back within a week or so. This kid wants a long term deal and he knows he won't get that unless he is at camp. He'll be there.

steeldawg
08-11-2012, 08:40 AM
It's smart on the Steelers' part. I wouldn't have guaranteed Wallace very much either. For all we know he could turn into a fat cat. IMO, for the most part, he is a one-trick pony.

The numbers wallace has put up in his first three seaons have been fantastic, there have only been 2 recievers to put up better numbers than he has in their first three seasons and thats jerry rice and randy moss. You dont put up those kind of numbers by being a one trick pony, i dont care how good your one trick is.

steeldawg
08-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Agreed. And his actions up to now sure haven't done anything to dispel the notion that he would. Why back the Brinks truck up to his door if there's even a chance he might start "Randy Mossing" it (half-assing plays and taking plays off entirely)? He's already developed the annoying habit of not fighting for passes in traffic. Add in the fact that the leader by example of the WRs is now gone. Thankfully, Ward's humility and work ethic seem to have rubbed off on Brown, at least.

What??!!! His actions have done nothing to dispell that???? Has this guy been injured???? Has this guy missed games???? No he has been solid and has exceeded all expectations. You speak of wards humility but didnt ward holdout also? You say he hasnt done enough to warrant a payday, yet your ok with us paying Antonio brown over 8 million a year after one decent season.

Count Steeler
08-11-2012, 09:26 AM
Wallace rounds out this offense and would take it from very good to great. (Assuming OLine gets gelling). He adds that legitimate deep threat that forces defenses to either double cover or get burned.

Most importantly, he has showed he has chemistry with Ben.

Again, nothing we have been saying about Wallace has come from Wallace. He is not looking for Fitz money, and he is not acting like a jerk while holding out. By that I mean, he is not out in the media, dissing the Steelers.

I think he would be the last piece to achieve a great offense.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Who cares where he is "working out?"

i take it you dont know who tom shaw is

GBMelBlount
08-11-2012, 10:33 AM
Wallace rounds out this offense and would take it from very good to great. (Assuming OLine gets gelling). He adds that legitimate deep threat that forces defenses to either double cover or get burned.

Most importantly, he has showed he has chemistry with Ben.

Again, nothing we have been saying about Wallace has come from Wallace. He is not looking for Fitz money, and he is not acting like a jerk while holding out. By that I mean, he is not out in the media, dissing the Steelers.

I think he would be the last piece to achieve a great offense.

Nice post Count. I agree with everything said here.

Butch
08-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Shaw also told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review on Friday that the unsigned Wallace “is lifting, running, jumping, catching the ball — the same things he would be doing if he were in camp, except not he’s not getting hit.”

Really not getting hit is the ONLY difference??? Hey Shaw and Mike we have a new O.C. and that means we have a new playbook!!!

Let me know when he shows up until then I couldn't give a rats ass. I also have no problem with players trying to get what they can but your hold out right now serves no purpose what so ever. Nobody was interested enough to make a run at you and while that may hurt your feelings that's business.

fansince'76
08-11-2012, 11:10 AM
What??!!! His actions have done nothing to dispell that???? Has this guy been injured???? Has this guy missed games???? No he has been solid and has exceeded all expectations. You speak of wards humility but didnt ward holdout also? You say he hasnt done enough to warrant a payday, yet your ok with us paying Antonio brown over 8 million a year after one decent season.

Where was he, oh, say, the entire 2nd half of last season? When has he ever shown up in a postseason game? It was Brown making the 3rd and 19 catch against the Ravens and salting away the AFCCG with a clutch catch against the Jets, NOT Wallace. As a rookie, no less. He has ZERO leverage in this situation, yet he continues to hold out. The Steelers could've been really shitty about it and dropped his tender to $500K in June (I guarantee you a ballcutting organization like the Patriots would've), and as a good faith gesture they didn't, yet he's STILL not in camp. THAT is why I think I can say that. His actions in this situation up to now scream "diva" to me.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2012, 11:28 AM
He has ZERO leverage in this situation, yet he continues to hold out.

unfortunately he does. That's the reality of it. He can play in only 6 games and still get credit for the entire season just like Vincent Jackson did. And if anyone thinks he's going to steer away other teams by pulling this stunt they're wrong. Jackson got a 5 year $55 million dollar contract for playing in 6 games and putting his pouty face on. Wallace is more dynamic than Jackson, and it only takes one buyer, out of 31 teams. It sucks, but Wallace will have his way eventually.

Butch
08-11-2012, 11:44 AM
unfortunately he does. That's the reality of it. He can play in only 6 games and still get credit for the entire season just like Vincent Jackson did. And if anyone thinks he's going to steer away other teams by pulling this stunt they're wrong. Jackson got a 5 year $55 million dollar contract for playing in 6 games and putting his pouty face on. Wallace is more dynamic than Jackson, and it only takes one buyer, out of 31 teams. It sucks, but Wallace will have his way eventually.

While there is probably be a team that will pay high dollar for his services doesn't mean we should. There are a lot of WR's out there you don't need to over pay to get a decent one.

fansince'76
08-11-2012, 11:53 AM

He's more than welcome to go make big bucks on a 4-12 team, if that's the route he chooses to take. No skin off my nose. I have faith in the team to more than adequately replace him and keep right on trucking along if need be.

Steeldude
08-11-2012, 08:49 PM
The numbers wallace has put up in his first three seaons have been fantastic, there have only been 2 recievers to put up better numbers than he has in their first three seasons and thats jerry rice and randy moss. You dont put up those kind of numbers by being a one trick pony, i dont care how good your one trick is.

It's pretty much one trick. His route running is not good. A defense failing to put a safety out for help is what aided Wallace. Remember when they started putting safeties out to help on Wallace deep? Wallace disappeared for the rest of the season. Wallace's hands are not that great. Wallace has yet to show the skills of a Rice or Moss.

Psycho Ward 86
08-11-2012, 09:28 PM
again, the media has so thoroughly washed over the entire NFL fanbase that everyone thinks they know Mike Wallace and exactly what he's looking for. He never said he wanted larry fitzgerald money...

GBMelBlount
08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
It's pretty much one trick. His route running is not good. A defense failing to put a safety out for help is what aided Wallace.

Remember when they started putting safeties out to help on Wallace deep? Wallace disappeared for the rest of the season.

Wallace's hands are not that great. Wallace has yet to show the skills of a Rice or Moss.

Was that about the same time Ben was injured?

I understand your point but how do you know it was all because of defensing planning...

fansince'76
08-12-2012, 07:51 AM
again, the media has so thoroughly washed over the entire NFL fanbase that everyone thinks they know Mike Wallace and exactly what he's looking for. He never said he wanted larry fitzgerald money...

The sports media really has nothing to do with it for me, since I pay very little attention to what they say as they're pretty much full of crap about 90% of the time. I go by players' actions, and like I said, Wallace's actions up to now scream "diva" to me. Again, the Steelers could have been absolute pricks about the whole thing and dropped his tender to $500K. And again, they did not out of a gesture of good faith. They are more than willing to continue to negotiate a new deal with Wallace if he signs the tender and reports. He has decided to not even meet the team halfway and do that, and yet the team is supposedly in the wrong? Not in my book.

Steeldude
08-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Was that about the same time Ben was injured?

I understand your point but how do you know it was all because of defensing planning...

Wasn't BR injured around the 14th or 15th game?

GBMelBlount
08-12-2012, 03:09 PM
I think Ben was injured or out most of the last 4 regular season games.

...and I think the other good thing about Wallace...even if the precipitous drop in touchdowns the last half of the season was as you said "when they started putting safeties out to help on Wallace deep," is that this will give Brown & Sanders a lot more opportunites.

I think any way you look at it the team arguably benefits whether he is scoring touchdowns or commanding extra coverage.

Craic
08-12-2012, 03:37 PM
It's pretty much one trick. His route running is not good. A defense failing to put a safety out for help is what aided Wallace. Remember when they started putting safeties out to help on Wallace deep? Wallace disappeared for the rest of the season. Wallace's hands are not that great. Wallace has yet to show the skills of a Rice or Moss.

Hmm. Let's take a look at the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSOlJCoZmTI

He has the ability to track the ball in traffic, even off defensive tips just before it reaches his hands. 1 trick.

He has the ability to go over the top of another player and come down with the ball. 2 tricks.

He runs crossing routes and has the body control to break them for long yardage not to mention fighting off picks as he comes through the middle. 3 tricks.

He will curl back inside and catch the ball in traffic. 4 tricks.

Did I say he can catch the ball in traffic? Yeah, I did. Might as well put it in again.

At this point, I'm only a 1:57 into a 6:29 video... Funny thing however, everything I've mentioned so far, has been showing more than once already on this highlight video.

So, why did his numbers go down? Yeah, double or even triple teamed, leaving oh, just the other best young receiver in the league open more often than not. Or if not him, say, the best tight end in the league, or Jericho Cotchery.

So why send him underneath, and allow the defense to come up and clog all the lanes?