PDA

View Full Version : Who (or what) did you like about tonight's team?

Craic
08-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Alright, there's about 9 minutes left in the game, but I thought I'd jump over and ask anyway.

For me, it was Sanders making catches and runs, and Rainey. There were a few others that I noticed.

Something else I noticed, we never did hear DeCastro's name tonight (unless I missed it). That's a good sign.

Nadroj 20
08-09-2012, 09:22 PM
Loved seeing Rainey breaking that run. Got a chance to show what he can do in the open field and did not fail to impress me.

The next guy I have to complement is Shawn Suisham. Did just fine on FG and kick offs as well.

I liked the way the offense flowed at the beginning too. Adams was a little shaky but hey this is his first game and I'm not worried yet.

Tonight has went well in my opinion.

polamalubeast
08-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Like:The starter

Hate:The rest

fansince'76
08-09-2012, 09:51 PM
Pretty impressed with Rainey. After a rough start, Baron Batch started looking pretty good as well.

salamander
08-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Fire Haley. We only put up 23 pts. :chuckle:

steelerdude15
08-09-2012, 09:58 PM
I was really impressed with Rainey. He some decent special teams returns and also had some good runs including his touchdown. I also was impressed with DeCastro. He was pushed back a couple of times and also pushed a defender who sacked Leftwich, but other than that he was good at blocking. He also drove some guys down the field. Issac, Ben, Manny, and Antonio all looked good as well.

GBMelBlount
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Our starters looked good.

We scored a lot of field goals...:chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
08-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Decastro was way slow on a pulling play one time i believe...odd since that's kind of his specialty

Chidi29
08-09-2012, 10:02 PM
Liked: McClendon got a lot of penetration, all around the ball. Ta'amu didn't look too shabby either. Rainey was as advertised. Malecki bounced back well and finished the game strong. Drew Butler did a pretty good job, too.

Dislike: Mike Adams struggled in pass protection. Didn't play with good leverage, got bullrushed, and beat around the edge. Beachum had a bad game in a lot of facets. Receivers didn't get a chance to shine though the coaches can still see their routes.

stillers4me
From a football standpoint, there are alot of dead Indians in the cowboy movie at this juncture.

:tomlinism:

Chidi29
Have to get into rewatching the game before I mae any final judgements.

Devilsdancefloor
08-09-2012, 10:08 PM
the 3rd quarter lasted forever :lol: It is what i expected for the first preseason game. oh and HEY SAPP whatcha think about that 285lb (nudge nudge wink wink ) NT

steelpride12
08-09-2012, 10:10 PM
Did not like that Tomlin just announced David Johnson has a serious, possible season ending knee injury UGH ALREADY!?

steelerdude15
08-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Did not like that Tomlin just announced David Johnson has a serious, possible season ending knee injury UGH ALREADY!?

O boy, that's not good at all.

GBMelBlount
08-09-2012, 10:16 PM

Hate to say it but this team just seems to keep getting....oh forget it...

Pittsburgh43
08-09-2012, 10:20 PM
A lot of positive & negatives in this game tonight. When it comes to being impressed, I like what I saw from Sanders & Rainey. An under-the-radar guy that stood out to me was Marshall McFadden.

vader29
08-09-2012, 10:35 PM
First team offense, Rainey, Batch, McClendon and Adrian Robinson.

Psycho Ward 86
08-09-2012, 11:26 PM
adams and gilbert were both pitiful. imagine if trent cole and jason babin were actually playing lol. and cullen jenkins was even out earlier than intended.

polamalubeast
08-10-2012, 12:12 AM
adams and gilbert were both pitiful. imagine if trent cole and jason babin were actually playing lol. and cullen jenkins was even out earlier than intended.

if they not improve, it will be very ugly in week 5

the game against the Eagles in 2008 had been a nightmare!

Steeldude
08-10-2012, 01:53 AM

If they don't improve the mayhem will start on Week 1 against the Broncos.

LLT
08-10-2012, 02:20 AM
If they don't improve the mayhem will start on Week 1 against the Broncos.

It should be noted that Pouncey didnt even start the first preseason game of his rookie year.....and he turned out okay.

Craic
08-10-2012, 02:28 AM
It should be noted that Pouncey didnt even start the first preseason game of his rookie year.....and he turned out okay.

Shh, let's wait to hit them with logic until after they bring out the pitchforks!

LLT
08-10-2012, 02:50 AM
Shh, let's wait to hit them with logic until after they bring out the pitchforks!

LOL...then I wont mention that he played behind Justin Hartwig.

LLT
08-10-2012, 03:09 AM
What I didnt like: The play of Curtis Brown.
Of course the Talking heads are going to exploit the play of our first two draft picks.....but the real story should be the abysmal play of Curtis Brown. Absolutely terrible instincts last night...yet I havent seen one commentator focus on the fact that he was solely responsible for giving up two TD's. Typical talking heads....Two rookies who are learning the playbook, are a bigger story that a second year player that had his jock handed to him.

What I did like: Steve McLendon
Good penetration and obvious motor. If you would have asked me at the beginning of last season, I wouldnt have told you he was a player. His progress through the end of hte 2011 season and the beginning of this season have proved me wrong.

Honorable mention goes to Drew Butler
Other than the last kick....he looked VERY good. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt on the last punt since this was his first pro game, but he had 4 punts with an average of 44.3 yards per punt, and a long of 61 yards. On his first punt Butler punted 55 yards to the PHI 21...on his second punt he
punted 61 yards to the PHI 36....on his third he was obviously trying to lay it inside the 20 and punted 45 yards to PHI 25...not a bad first game for a seasoned vet...much less a rookie.

Galax Steeler
08-10-2012, 03:57 AM
I have to say Rainey his moves was something else. I know it is early but I think we found us a good return man that we need in a bad way.

steelers_switzerland
08-10-2012, 04:37 AM
From a football standpoint, there are alot of dead Indians in the cowboy movie at this juncture.

:tomlinism:

Haha yeah!

McLendon was great! Good run stops, good pressure... Sure looked like a starter! Loved what i saw at the end of last season and last night he was even better. Don't think Big Snack will start again this Season if McLendon and Ta'amu stay healthy and play like this. Ta'amu also looked good for a rookie

Didn't like the play of Curtis Brown and of course the injury of DJ is a shock

steeldawg
08-10-2012, 05:14 AM
I liked our starting D, I liked our starting O, Love what i saw from from rainey he will be a big factor this season.
starting O line a little shaky in pass protection but I like the holes they were opening up in the run game and how they were setting up screens.
Curtis brown C'mon man! he was terrible.
Mclendon looked good.
sanders looks really fresh.
Ab looked good in limited oppportunities
I though Redman was running very well showed some really nice vision.
Adams a little rough out there, please i know your learning but try not to get get ben killed in the process.
Our back up qbs, well lets just say we cant afford for Ben to go down.

Pristas
08-10-2012, 06:28 AM
I thought Sanders did very well. Crisp routes, nice catches plus yards after the catch. But McClendon was the one who stood out to me. He isn't losing his job anytime soon. He was constantly blowing up the line. When Vick threw into the helmet, guess who pushed that helmet back there? McClendon. I think a lot of the hype around the somewhat porous offensive line was due to game day jitters. There were guys on the Eagles trying to prove themselves and make some plays for the fans. They were giving 110% but it only lasted 5 minutes or so. They would not be able to play an entire game at that level.

One other thing that I noticed was our ability to run up the middle. It happened several times where we were getting 5+ yards without a fullback. That's a really good thing.

Buckinnuts
08-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Rainey, ROBINSON(46), .McClendon ...Batch is getting there...thought Lefty sucked as usual.....

st33lersguy
08-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Like: Most of the starters looked good. Ben was terrific.

Dislike: The O-line was awful. Todd Haley running Baron Batch up the middle on goal line repeatedly. I hope Haley doesn't make a habit out of jamming scat backs up the middle on goal line (of course I am not dismissing Haley yet and will wait a while to judge him)

shutdown
08-10-2012, 09:53 AM
First thoughts. Definitey going to watch the replay:

- Adams got beat early and often by the speed rush, to the point he left with an injury. Word is it happened when he recovered 1 of 2 fumbles from Ben that he caused by getting beat so bad.

- Castro looked great.

- They tried running Redmann off the edge several times and he really proved Mendenhalls worth as he looked like a fullback trying to get over there. Yet his runs up the middle were punishing. It's only 1 game but its obvious with Mendenhall out we have no speed rush. I mean there's Rainey but it looked like if you blew on the guy he fell over.

- However Rainey had a quick dump off pass that he took to the house with his great speed. It looked FWP esque.

- All 3 QB's ran for their lives most the same as the Eagles DLine dominated the trenches for a full 60 minutes.

- Speaking of the trenches, McClendon continues to impress. Found himself several times in the Eagles back field, one of which was slamming down Vick as Vick was 1 man from breaking off a decent run. McClendon swallowed him up and slammed him to the ground.

- Brown and Sanders looked very good.

- And by Brown I meant Antonio Brown, not Curtis Brown who was the Eagles 3rd string quarterback's whipping boy on two LOOOONG TD's.

- Sucks about DJ he was having a great camp too and started the game off on fire. There was a play where he was suppose to just chip block and get open. Well he pancaked the dude and caught the pass for a first down. It was comical.

steel striker
08-10-2012, 10:47 AM
The o-line must play better or were in deep trouble but, it's early there is time to get it together. If the oline can protect Ben I like our chances. The secondary worries me but, let's see what happens. Ben looked good and, the receivers as well. I like our RB's and, like mentioned from above post the D-line looked solid. Lot of work to be done like most other teams as well.

shutdown
08-10-2012, 11:18 AM
Quote of the week from Mike Prisuta - "Of all the guys who wore inherited numbers of significance (Sean Spence, No., 51; DeCastro, No. 66; Corbin Bryant, No. 91) no one did a better job of representing than Kelvin Beachum. Number 68 was called for two holds, one of which was declined, and a false start. It was as if Chris Kemoeatu never left."

86WARD
08-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Liked more than I didn't.

Didn't like the play of Leftwich...he was just horrible...he's a veteran back up. Act like it. Didn't like the play of the OLine, but no need to panic. New unit, need some more cohesion, don't have a lot of experience against the W9 and they dont really scheme for it or game plan for that opponent. DeCastro looked decent, but didn't have the mental part of the game down. They just need more work together. Also didn't like the play of Baron Batch. I don't think he'll be around when this roster is finished. He lacked speed and power.

Liked: LOVED Rainey. He's looking like he could be an exciting player. Couple people have argued that he's the 5th best WR on the roster...I'm tending to agree with that. Liked the play of Sanders...he worked Aso a couple times. Johnson and Robinson on D looked promising.

A lot more likes than dislikes las night.

fansince'76
08-10-2012, 11:47 AM
Quote of the week from Mike Prisuta - "Of all the guys who wore inherited numbers of significance (Sean Spence, No., 51; DeCastro, No. 66; Corbin Bryant, No. 91) no one did a better job of representing than Kelvin Beachum. Number 68 was called for two holds, one of which was declined, and a false start. It was as if Chris Kemoeatu never left."

Well, to his credit, he didn't dive into the pile after the whistle already blew and spear someone for a 15-yard penalty...

Moose
08-10-2012, 01:02 PM
Gotta watch the game again, but I definitely didn't like our coverage on punts/kicks. Way too much yardage returns allowed. It just seems like they don't know how to tackle....arm tackles just don't do it.

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2012, 01:31 PM
not sure what all the ruckus about rainey is. His long TD was aided by a block in the back and his size deficiency REALLY showed when someone so much as laid a hand on him. That run for a 1st down on 3rd and long was by far his best play. Now THAT was some slick stuff.

And LOL at Leftwich's windup when he got smashed in the head. I will never get tired of watching him try to get a throw off :lol:

86WARD
08-10-2012, 01:37 PM
Rainey has a lot of speed, a lot of potential, a lot of "Sproles" to him...that's exciting.

Bluecoat96
08-10-2012, 03:51 PM

Did it really matter that year? What was the result of the last game they played in 2008?

polamalubeast
08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Did it really matter that year? What was the result of the last game they played in 2008?

I know that the steelers have won the steelers, but I reminds me that I was in panic after this game!

polamalubeast
08-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I know that the steelers have won the super bowl, but I reminds me that I was in panic after this game!

Craic
08-10-2012, 04:05 PM
I may have said this before, but I really like how Batch came on strong running the ball at the end.

Not sure why everyone's complaining about lefty - with that line, Terry bradshaw would be flopping around like a dead fish in the backfield after every play.

I'm more interested in seeing the broadcast of the game, so I can watch certain players - but as this is only the first preseason game, it's not really worth much more scrutiny than figuring where players need to focus before the second game.

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2012, 04:06 PM

this might shock you, but the steelers traditionally struggle hardcore against the eagles. yeah, we had the last laugh that year, but every win is important in this division. want to take a guess at the last time we won in philly? (hint: if you're currently a father, but not a grandparent, you probably werent even born yet).

I give the eagles credit for having one of the deepest D-lines in the league, but they didnt even have their pro-bowler defensive ends Jason babin and trent cole playing. And Cullen Jenkins left the game almost immediately with an injury. The rest of the backups (which our starting o-line got raped by) were playing in spots they dont even play. Week 5 is going to be hell. Thank god were playing at home though

SteelerFanInStl
08-10-2012, 10:21 PM
I liked Rainey. Looks like an exciting player. The OL was pretty much terrible but it's early. Curtis Brown was terrible.

Overall it was a ho-hum game.

Count Steeler
08-10-2012, 10:57 PM
To be fair, Curtis Brown was tripped on the first touchdown. The second touchdown was a perfectly thrown ball and he did have decent coverage. Way too early to give up on Brown.

Psycho Ward 86
08-10-2012, 11:12 PM
To be fair, Curtis Brown was tripped on the first touchdown. The second touchdown was a perfectly thrown ball and he did have decent coverage. Way too early to give up on Brown.

Remember how many times William Gay "tripped" during his 1st year starting? :lol: If he keeps "tripping" it will be unacceptable, and he will be held accountable and not play.

Also since preseason is about over-critiquing and a sky-is-falling attitude, :lol: sylvester looked like a fool on foles' 1st TD. Wouldve gotten the sack or gotten a great QB hurry to make him throw the ball away if he didnt jump in the air

LLT
08-11-2012, 04:36 AM

Watch the replay again...I WANT to like Brown, but he seems to be struggling with both working his man and having adequate ball awareness. The William Gay comparison is not that far off. Really hope Curtis gets the mental aspect of the game down so that he can smoothly multitask.

7willBheaven
08-11-2012, 10:57 AM
FYI its McLendon people not McClendon!

LLT
08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
FYI its McLendon people not McClendon!

"Its"....should have a '.......as in... "it's".

Craic
08-13-2012, 01:05 AM

. . . "it's." Period goes inside the closing quotation mark.

http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002672293/1359613086_grammar_police_xlarge.png

It's just been too long since I've used that pic! :chuckle: Sorry LLT

LLT
08-13-2012, 05:15 AM

"Sorry LLT" is an incomplete sentence. It needs the contraction "I'm" to be complete. "I" being the noun and "am" being the verb.
:nono:

...and DON'T get me started about the missing punctuation!!!!

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2012, 08:24 AM

"Sorry LLT" is an incomplete sentence. It needs the contraction "I'm" to be complete. "I" being the noun and "am" being the verb.

i love these forums

Boomerang
08-14-2012, 02:20 AM
Liked what i saw of Rainey but our O line needs to step it up.

86WARD
08-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Sounds like Redmans injury could be worse than thought. Going in for an MRI today and hasn't been able to make it through any practices since Thursday.

SteelerFanInStl
08-15-2012, 12:04 PM
Sounds like Redmans injury could be worse than thought. Going in for an MRI today and hasn't been able to make it through any practices since Thursday.

That sucks. We're not going to have any RBs left.

steelers_switzerland
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Batch and Rainey? Oh and Dwyer... Now i start to worry... If it is indeed worse with Redman, let's hope he'll be back very very soon

86WARD
08-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Where's Willie?!? Lol...shoulda signed Benson. Oh well...

steelers_switzerland
08-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Maybe Plax can also play HB :chuckle:

86WARD
08-15-2012, 12:41 PM
Redman report could be another FAIL attempt by the media...

Todd Haley said Isaac Redman will practice today and that he knows nothing about an MRI

Twitter - https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/235787247134339073

Craic
08-15-2012, 01:15 PM

I was using it as a funky tag! So there!

(So there you go!)

:chuckle:

86WARD
08-15-2012, 01:22 PM
https://twitter.com/EdBouchette/status/235793929084227585

LLT
08-16-2012, 10:51 AM
I was using it as a funky tag! So there!

(So there you go!)

:chuckle:

LOL!!

HollywoodSteel
08-18-2012, 12:08 PM

You are correct, the period going inside the quotation marks is standard in American grammar, but this is one where I believe the Brits got it right. The point of language and grammar rules is clarity, and this is the less clear way to do it, as well as defying common sense. What goes inside quotation marks should be the quote and the quote only, regardless of where it lands in the sentence. Imagine I wrote the sentence: I saw a woman wearing a shirt that read, "Back off! I'm on my." Now, does the shirt have the "." on it or is it just the end of the sentence? American grammar makes an exception for a question mark for the reasons I point out, probably because clarity issues arise more frequently in that context, but I still say, "all punctuation should go outside the quotation marks unless the punctuation is part of the quote!"

Oh, and go Steelers!

Scatter
08-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Well, to his credit, he didn't dive into the pile after the whistle already blew and spear someone for a 15-yard penalty...

Exactly. What the hell was he thinking?

Moose
08-20-2012, 09:18 AM
LIKE -- Johnson QB'ing at the end of game. Looked pretty good and should be considered to play against the 1st and/or 2nd string next week.
NOT LIKE--- The whole game. The starters sucked up the place, looked like 3rd stringers against the Colts offense. The colts could do whatever they wanted, whenever they wanted. Luck outplayed our guys!! BA had our number. Our defense couldn't stop a high school team. Really a pathetic performance. I was glad when it was over and didn't have to watch anymore. A lucky win.....another minute left and we would have lost the game.