PDA

View Full Version : Todd Haley wants to see the Steelers run the ball better in critical situations

polamalubeast
08-09-2012, 08:45 AM
Todd Haley has heard plenty about needing to run the ball more since being hired as Steelers offensive coordinator six months ago.

While agreeing with the premise, Haley would rather focus on something more precise than simply needing to call more runs.

Haley is adamant the Steelers run the ball better in the most critical situations — when the opposition knows they will.

“That’s the name of the game offensively,” Haley said. “You need to be able to get the yards that you need on the ground when the defense knows you are running, wherever that falls in the game — if it is a critical short-yardage or if it is a four-minute situation.”

That’s what Haley hopes to see starting at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, when the Steelers open the preseason against Philadelphia at Lincoln Financial Field.

The Steelers weren’t able to run when they wanted last season, which led to an offense ranking in the bottom third in scoring.

It was partly because former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians fancied passing over running in third-down, short-yardage and four-minute situations. But it also was that the Steelers weren’t very good in those scenarios.

The Steelers faced third-and-2 or less 35 times last season. They ran 19 times (converting 68 percent) and passed 16 times (converting 50 percent).

When the situation was third-and-3, the Steelers threw all 19 times (converting 58 percent).

read more

http://triblive.com/sports/2364526-85/steelers-haley-percent-run-season-offensive-game-running-situations-ball

suitanim
08-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Hate to use the dreaded word, but it's entirely appropriate to in this situation: Execution.

I don't care if we run all 19 times on 3rd and 3, or if we pass every time, or we split it 10/9 either way, if the line doesn't block, or the receiver doesn't catch the pass, or someone zigs instead of zags, or the QB throws an errant pass, or the snap is bobbled, or any of the other many variables that can (and did, it seems) go wrong, the team will not be successful. It all starts with execution. If we execute as poorly as we did in general this as we did last, the offense will not be successful.

Mach1
08-09-2012, 10:50 AM
Tackle Max Starks blamed the struggles on the offensive line not getting the job done and Arians’ offensive philosophy.

“At the points they called certain plays, we might not exactly have been prepared for it, or we were expecting something else to be called, or we weren’t physically ready,” Starks said.

“To be honest, we weren’t doing enough before then to make the defense respect the run. If we are passing the entire game, then when four minutes hit and we have to run it, it’s not going to happen.”

Wasn't it arians job to have them prepared? If your not prepaired it's hard to execute something that hasn't been practiced. And we all know that practice wasn't one of arians strengths.

suitanim
08-09-2012, 11:01 AM
Wasn't it arians job to have them prepared? If your not prepaired it's hard to execute something that hasn't been practiced. And we all know that practice wasn't one of arians strengths.

It was Bruce Arians job to..........prepare the line to do it's job? That's a reach.

And, practice wasn't Arians strength? Where did that come from? The Colts are all reporting the EXACT opposite...

Why do all roads always lead back to Arians? The point is, even with Bill Walsh running your offense, if there are components of it that aren't functioning smoothly and efficiently (i.e. the OL last year), it's going to make execution difficult, and performance will suffer. Haley isn't talking about being LESS predictable, or being tricky...in fact, the opposite. he's talking about being efficient and executing in completely predictable situations doing predictable things. It has little to do with the OC, and much more to do with the players. I think that's rather obvious from reading the piece,as well as the other things that he's said...

Mach1
08-09-2012, 11:09 AM
The o-line is part of the offense is it not? Arians was in charge of the offense was he not? So yes it was his job. Arians admittedly failed to practice for 4-3 D's = FAIL.

The colts can have his mediocrity.

steelerdude15
08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Its safe to say its half play calling and half execution. Having the right plays called in the right situation helps, but the players must also execute the plays effectively. So play calling and execution go hand in hand. I do like what we're going to see with Haley. His offenses have always been more balanced, less predictable, understand the players' strengths and weaknesses, and just being a more deadly strike. I think its going to be a fun season with Haley.

GBMelBlount
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
I am probably more excited to see how our running backs are used as things develop more than anything else I can think of.

Devilsdancefloor
08-09-2012, 11:50 AM
i dnt care if your last name was walsh, but if you dont call plays that you know your O strength then there is a problem, but i agree we need to run better hell im willing to bet 99.9% of steeler nation agrees Run better in critical situations

suitanim
08-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Let's try this another way. Does anyone think that it will be EASIER to run this year if Haley is running on obvious running downs out of obvious running formations or will it be HARDER to run?

He's clearly stating that the team will need to improve it's execution in order to be able to impose its will on the opposition when everyone in the stadium knows what's coming next. That is not being more tricksy or sleight-of-hand, that is being even more predictable. Ergo, he's talking about execution exclusively. That's why this has little to do with Arians. 3rd and 3 is a running down, and the Steelers passed on 3rd and 3 last year, which, apparently, fans hated, even though it's unpredictable to do so, because 3rd and 3 is a running situation. So, according to what I'm hearing, even though Arians was hated for being predictable, he was obviously NOT that predictable, but Haley is going to get credit for being less predictable while he's already planning on being MORE predictable.

That's why it really won't ever matter who's running the offense. They will always be second-guessed, accused of being stupid and predictable, and roundly hated by Steelers fans.

Butch
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Arians was Boneheaded. I distinctly remember the game against Cleaveland (who at the time had the worst rushing D in the league) and what was our game plan??? That's right the unpredictable pass the ball. Passing into a strong head wind none the less and in short yardage situation. We lost that game in Cleaveland and went on to lose a few other head scratchers on our way to playing ourselves right outta the playoffs. I won't blame all the losses on B.A. but that one I put squarely on his game planning or should I say his lack there of.

I also remember him once saying when asked about targetting a player who is filling in for an injured player something to the effect that we do not target players. Why the hell not??? It may not be the weakness that we perceive but let's at least see what we can do.

I don't know if things will be better under Haley or not but I'm sure up to see how things are gonna shake out. Hopefully Haley will at least put in a game plan with more common sence than the one I have pointed out.

Butch
08-09-2012, 12:38 PM
The o-line is part of the offense is it not? Arians was in charge of the offense was he not? So yes it was his job. Arians admittedly failed to practice for 4-3 D's = FAIL.

The colts can have his mediocrity.

AMEN!!!

suitanim
08-09-2012, 12:46 PM
You'll be one of the first to turn on Haley, I'm guessing...

Butch
08-09-2012, 01:43 PM
You'll be one of the first to turn on Haley, I'm guessing...
Guess when the game plan is as clear as that it's hard to refute.

Since I haven't seen his game plans in action I am still on the fence, but I am a little bit opptomistic that he will at the very least be better at game planning than what B.A. did in Cleaveland. I also think that Haley will be smart enough to try to test a backup if a starter goes down.

As I said in my post I don't know how things will shake out with Haley but I'm sure up to see how things are gonna shake out. Hopefully Haley will at least put in a game plan with more common sence than the examples I have pointed out.

Edman
08-09-2012, 02:16 PM
That's why it really won't ever matter who's running the offense. They will always be second-guessed, accused of being stupid and predictable, and roundly hated by Steelers fans.

All OC's get their share of criticism when something goes down. I seems to remember Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, and Ken Whisenhunt being decently well-received as OC's in Pittsburgh.

Don't do overly stupid **** with the offense (like throwing in bad Cleveland weather), and the fans won't rag on you.

For a coach that supposedly loves practice, his offenses sure didn't show it much.

Count Steeler
08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
I will defer to the comment Joe Greene made on Thursday or Friday of last week. To paraphrase: If you want to run the ball, you have to practice running the ball.

XxKnightxX
08-09-2012, 03:55 PM
It was Bruce Arians job to..........prepare the line to do it's job? That's a reach.

And, practice wasn't Arians strength? Where did that come from? The Colts are all reporting the EXACT opposite...

Why do all roads always lead back to Arians? The point is, even with Bill Walsh running your offense, if there are components of it that aren't functioning smoothly and efficiently (i.e. the OL last year), it's going to make execution difficult, and performance will suffer. Haley isn't talking about being LESS predictable, or being tricky...in fact, the opposite. he's talking about being efficient and executing in completely predictable situations doing predictable things. It has little to do with the OC, and much more to do with the players. I think that's rather obvious from reading the piece,as well as the other things that he's said...

Because holding an upper level position in any organization in football is all about consistent results. He failed to deliver it according to management and ownership, the guy who writes their checks. Arians approach may be the same or different with the Colts, as far as i can care I can give 2 shits of what people over at Indy think of him. What matters is that his results as the coordinator of the offense didnt satisfy the fans, management or ownership. Its as simple as that. I for one dont care about Arians anymore, hes not with us, he can do whatever he wants, I feel like hes more butt hurt than we are, so some of the people still bashing him need to move on. But at the same time the lack of the consistent running game leads to Arians lack of committing to the run game.

Just watch the 02 divisional playoff game against the Browns. Browns explosive in the beginning, running on all cylinders in the first half. Couldnt seal the deal, couldnt run the ball. gave the other team an opportunity. Lost the game. Guess who was the OC? yep

polamalubeast
08-09-2012, 04:06 PM
Because holding an upper level position in any organization in football is all about consistent results. He failed to deliver it according to management and ownership, the guy who writes their checks. Arians approach may be the same or different with the Colts, as far as i can care I can give 2 shits of what people over at Indy think of him. What matters is that his results as the coordinator of the offense didnt satisfy the fans, management or ownership. Its as simple as that. I for one dont care about Arians anymore, hes not with us, he can do whatever he wants, I feel like hes more butt hurt than we are, so some of the people still bashing him need to move on. But at the same time the lack of the consistent running game leads to Arians lack of committing to the run game.

Just watch the 02 divisional playoff game against the Browns. Browns explosive in the beginning, running on all cylinders in the first half. Couldnt seal the deal, couldnt run the ball. gave the other team an opportunity. Lost the game. Guess who was the OC? yep

I have no problem that you criticize Arians, but for the loss of the Browns against the Steelers in 2002 is not the fault of Arians! The Browns scored 33 points in this game and their scrub QB has made ​​over 400 yards passing!!!!

suitanim
08-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Arians is gone. Whatever...

But the Haley hate will get here soon. It's hard to see the big picture, difficult to think about multifaceted subjects. People like simple monolithic things...it's easy to digest, the path of least resistance.

Thinking too much is hard. It's hard work to analyze things in depth. Better to find a scapegoat and just lump the blame. Kids do it. Our President is fond of doing it. Steelers fans love it. The buck seems to stop at..................the offensive coordinator. It'll happen again. Maybe as soon as tonight.

Then what? Once the intellectually lazy take the easy way out again, then what? Seriously...what next?

fansince'76
08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
But at the same time the lack of the consistent running game leads to Arians lack of committing to the run game.

And that had absolutely nothing to with the giant pile of shit that the Steelers have fielded and called an OL for the last 6 years? The '08 Steelers won the SB with the WORST OL in SB history, by far, and that OL almost cost us the game (looking at you, Hartwig). Not to mention the loss to the Colts earlier that season where our running game got completely stoned by the then 25-ranked run defense in the league - everyone else ran at will on the Colts that year, but we sure as hell couldn't. It can also reasonably be argued that it had a very large hand in us losing SB 45 (way to get owned and help cause a pick-six, Kemo!). There's a reason the Steelers have gone OL heavy early the last 3 drafts.

Butch
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Arians is gone. Whatever...

But the Haley hate will get here soon. It's hard to see the big picture, difficult to think about multifaceted subjects. People like simple monolithic things...it's easy to digest, the path of least resistance.

Thinking too much is hard. It's hard work to analyze things in depth. Better to find a scapegoat and just lump the blame. Kids do it. Our President is fond of doing it. Steelers fans love it. The buck seems to stop at..................the offensive coordinator. It'll happen again. Maybe as soon as tonight.

Then what? Once the intellectually lazy take the easy way out again, then what? Seriously...what next?

Is it not the fault of the O.C. who comes into a game with heavy winds and calls pass play after pass play while going into the heavy winds? This is his call on short yardage plays on both 3rd and 4th down time and time again. No in game adjustment just passing the ball and pissing away the game. Is that really execution? Is it to much to ask for a little common sense? Go after an inexperienced player a little until he proves himself.

What will you say if everything comes up roses for Haley and we are all singing his praises on high? As I said I may not like this guy either but I'm ready for change, and just as I may be the 1st to say hang him I may also be the 1st to put his statue in the Great Hall.

polamalubeast
08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
And that had absolutely nothing to with the giant pile of shit that the Steelers have fielded and called an OL for the last 6 years? The '08 Steelers won the SB with the WORST OL in SB history, by far, and that OL almost cost us the game (looking at you, Hartwig). Not to mention the loss to the Colts earlier that season where our running game got completely stoned by the then 25-ranked run defense in the league - everyone else ran at will on the Colts that year, but we sure as hell couldn't. It can also reasonably be argued that it had a very large hand in us losing SB 45 (way to get owned and help cause a pick-six, Kemo!). There's a reason the Steelers have gone OL heavy early the last 3 drafts.

And we must not forget the dreadful game of the o-line against the Eagles in 2008 :lol:

fansince'76
08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
And we must not forget the dreadful game of the o-line against the Eagles in 2008 :lol:

I truly hope DD and Adams are the real deal. :pray:

SteelMayhem72
08-09-2012, 05:08 PM
anybody have a feed of the game tonight?? sorry that question is not appropriate for this thread

Steeldude
08-09-2012, 06:09 PM
With Arians gone it should improve. The problem wasn't always execution. The problem was also Arians sending WRs out on long, slow developing routes on 3rd and short.

suitanim
08-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Is it not the fault of the O.C. who comes into a game with heavy winds and calls pass play after pass play while going into the heavy winds? This is his call on short yardage plays on both 3rd and 4th down time and time again. No in game adjustment just passing the ball and pissing away the game. Is that really execution? Is it to much to ask for a little common sense? Go after an inexperienced player a little until he proves himself.

What will you say if everything comes up roses for Haley and we are all singing his praises on high? As I said I may not like this guy either but I'm ready for change, and just as I may be the 1st to say hang him I may also be the 1st to put his statue in the Great Hall.

That's one game.

ONE GAME.

And I was there.

Coaches gameplan to expose weaknesses they see all the time. Regardless of whether it's a perceived strength of the defense.

Want SEVERAL examples from the opposite standpoint? How about Kelly Holcombe lighting up the Steelers secondary for 429 yards and 3 TD's in the playoffs. Attacking the Steelers secondary was a stroke of genius by.....................................Bruce Arians!

How about Bruce Gradkowski smoking the Steelers secondary for 309 and 3 TD's in 2009?

Christ, how about the worst QB in history Tim Tebow throwing for 316 and 2 TD's against the Steelers?

All those Steelers teams had either number 1 or top 5 defenses against the pass.

If you decide that you'll only run against defenses that are weak against the run, and you do that over and over again, you'll lose.

Butch
08-09-2012, 08:26 PM
That's one game.

ONE GAME.

And I was there.

Coaches gameplan to expose weaknesses they see all the time. Regardless of whether it's a perceived strength of the defense.

Want SEVERAL examples from the opposite standpoint? How about Kelly Holcombe lighting up the Steelers secondary for 429 yards and 3 TD's in the playoffs. Attacking the Steelers secondary was a stroke of genius by.....................................Bruce Arians!

How about Bruce Gradkowski smoking the Steelers secondary for 309 and 3 TD's in 2009?

Christ, how about the worst QB in history Tim Tebow throwing for 316 and 2 TD's against the Steelers?

All those Steelers teams had either number 1 or top 5 defenses against the pass.

If you decide that you'll only run against defenses that are weak against the run, and you do that over and over again, you'll lose.

It was a glaring example of someone who had a shitty game plan for a game with high winds facing a team that had the worst rush D in the league. I'm sorry to hear you were there you shoulda got your money back.

Ok since you want to change topics here's a little somethin' for ya'. In that game where the Super Genius lit up the Steelers secondary who won the game??? Once again I refer to my favorite quote from Chuck "Stats are for losers". Bruce had a 17 point lead and couldn't maintain it long enough to get the win. His offenses have a tendency to stall and it lets other teams get back into games.

suitanim
08-09-2012, 08:38 PM
It was a glaring example of someone who had a shitty game plan for a game with high winds facing a team that had the worst rush D in the league. I'm sorry to hear you were there you shoulda got your money back.

Ok since you want to change topics here's a little somethin' for ya'. In that game where the Super Genius lit up the Steelers secondary who won the game??? Once again I refer to my favorite quote from Chuck "Stats are for losers". Bruce had a 17 point lead and couldn't maintain it long enough to get the win. His offenses have a tendency to stall and it lets other teams get back into games.

Of course you're right and I'm wrong. Because Bruce Arians couldn't hold the lead. Because he is also in charge of the defense, too...

(sigh)

Whatever...you'll still be one of the first bashing Haley. It's not your fault, it's just your simple nature...

suitanim
08-09-2012, 08:46 PM
How dare Todd Haley BLOW this 13 point lead tonight!

Butch
08-09-2012, 08:49 PM
Of course you're right and I'm wrong. Because Bruce Arians couldn't hold the lead. Because he is also in charge of the defense, too...

(sigh)

Whatever...you'll still be one of the first bashing Haley. It's not your fault, it's just your simple nature...

AWW are you pouting???

Are you saying he helped his team or is it squarely on the fault of the Defense. It was late in the 3rd quarter and they were up by 17. If he even gets a F.G. the game is tied by the late Field goal. I mean they were lighting up the secondary how come they let us back into the game. Yes a part of it was we were able to attack the D but what happened to the Super Genius??? How come he couldn't keep the pressure on the secondary???

I may very well be the 1st to bash Haley never said I wouldn't but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Butch
08-09-2012, 08:53 PM
How dare Todd Haley BLOW this 13 point lead tonight!

There ya' go Suit show us all what ya got, compairing a pre-season game to a playoff game.

Guess when it comes to bashing you beat me to it. Nice job

Damn now I can't be 1st maybe I'll be 2nd. LOL

suitanim
08-10-2012, 11:32 AM
There ya' go Suit show us all what ya got, compairing a pre-season game to a playoff game.

Guess when it comes to bashing you beat me to it. Nice job

Damn now I can't be 1st maybe I'll be 2nd. LOL

Do you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about?

The Browns were up by 17 (2407 at the half) and STILL scored another 10 points in the second half. How do you blame the Browns offensive coordinator for losing a game in which he put up THIRTY-THREE points? Seriously, you're suggesting that it was Bruce Arians fault that the Browns lost after scoring THIRTY THREE POINTS.

It's why I get tired of arguing with dolts on message boards.

Butch
08-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Do you have any idea what the fuck you're talking about?

The Browns were up by 17 (2407 at the half) and STILL scored another 10 points in the second half. How do you blame the Browns offensive coordinator for losing a game in which he put up THIRTY-THREE points? Seriously, you're suggesting that it was Bruce Arians fault that the Browns lost after scoring THIRTY THREE POINTS.

It's why I get tired of arguing with dolts on message boards.

AWWW Poor Suit resorting to cursing and name calling now. Go tell mommy you got your feewings hurt.

You were the one who declared Brucee to be a Genius not me. You were also the one who brought this game up to make an example of his greatness. Apparently he wasn't enough of a Genius that night. Remember how he was so masterful at carving up the secondary??? What happened??? If he was such a Genius why couldn't he score more??? If he scores just 3 more points the game goes into overtime. Seemed like he was able to score at will up until late in the 3rd quarter. What happened???Nobody better than Bruce at making in game adjustments. Our offense led by Tommy Gun was able to adjust and got back into the game, so why can't the Genius get more out of his team???

Bruce's problem is that he's good, sometimes even great, for a while but his offenses stall and the other team gets back into the game. Of course this is never Bruce's fault it's the players performance that is to blame.

Tell me again about what a Genius he is while defending what he did in Cleavland against the worst rushing D against a strong heavy wind.

polamalubeast
08-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I'm tired to hear about Arians to each thread of Haley

C'mon, Arians is now with the Colts

suitanim
08-12-2012, 08:35 AM
AWWW Poor Suit resorting to cursing and name calling now. Go tell mommy you got your feewings hurt.

You were the one who declared Brucee to be a Genius not me. You were also the one who brought this game up to make an example of his greatness. Apparently he wasn't enough of a Genius that night. Remember how he was so masterful at carving up the secondary??? What happened??? If he was such a Genius why couldn't he score more??? If he scores just 3 more points the game goes into overtime. Seemed like he was able to score at will up until late in the 3rd quarter. What happened???Nobody better than Bruce at making in game adjustments. Our offense led by Tommy Gun was able to adjust and got back into the game, so why can't the Genius get more out of his team???

Bruce's problem is that he's good, sometimes even great, for a while but his offenses stall and the other team gets back into the game. Of course this is never Bruce's fault it's the players performance that is to blame.

Tell me again about what a Genius he is while defending what he did in Cleavland against the worst rushing D against a strong heavy wind.

Actually, Chuck Pagano called him a "brilliant coordinator". I never called him a genius.

I also have never blamed an OC for losing a game by putting together a brilliant gameplan and scoring 33 points. You did.

Also, I'm not calling you a name, I'm labeling you as a dolt, based on repeated doltish comments, talking out your ass, refusing to admit you're wrong after being backed into a corner with nowhere to go. If someone is retarded, and acts retarded, and says and does retarded things, labeling them a retard is simply describing them, not calling them names. I'd only be calling you a name is you weren't a dolt. But it's an accurate description based on the content of your posts and the information contained in them.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_head_coach_chuck_pagano_calls_hiring_of_bruc e_arians_a_homerun/11224456

(http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_head_coach_chuck_pagano_calls_hiring_of_bruc e_arians_a_homerun/11224456)

Devilsdancefloor
08-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Warning Lets keep it civil please Thank you. i agree with PB enough already if a thead is about Haley why bring up BA?

Butch
08-12-2012, 12:29 PM
Out of Respect for those above who have requested it I will no longer comment on B.A. or Suit's opinions in this thread.

I will not comment on the insults that Suit has so eloquently spewed at me because it is the wishes of a friend of mine. Doesn't mean that I couldn't respond rather that today I will take the higher road.

X-Terminator
08-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Actually, Chuck Pagano called him a "brilliant coordinator". I never called him a genius.

I also have never blamed an OC for losing a game by putting together a brilliant gameplan and scoring 33 points. You did.

Also, I'm not calling you a name, I'm labeling you as a dolt, based on repeated doltish comments, talking out your ass, refusing to admit you're wrong after being backed into a corner with nowhere to go. If someone is retarded, and acts retarded, and says and does retarded things, labeling them a retard is simply describing them, not calling them names. I'd only be calling you a name is you weren't a dolt. But it's an accurate description based on the content of your posts and the information contained in them.

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_head_coach_chuck_pagano_calls_hiring_of_bruc e_arians_a_homerun/11224456

(http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/colts_head_coach_chuck_pagano_calls_hiring_of_bruc e_arians_a_homerun/11224456)

Suit, you know you cannot browbeat people into admitting they were wrong, just because you want them to. All it does is piss people off. And how many times are we going to have to warn you about the name-calling and insults (and no matter how you try to sugar-coat it, that is what you are doing). Please, and this is the absolute final time I am going to say this...knock it off! I have had enough.

Lou Donny
08-13-2012, 01:07 AM
I liked what I saw out of Haley's play calling the other night. He did a great job of mixing it up.

He mixed up the QB's drops. Lotsa 3 step stuff. The nice little sprint out play where Ben hit AB on the out. We know that with a QB like Ben and WRs with young fresh legs...we'll still see plenty of deep drops from Ben where he can challenge the defense deep.

As far as the Arians talk...there will constantly be comparisons between he and Haley. Now as a newbie on Steelers Universe I have no idea about the history of the Arians bickering. Nor am I trying to stir the pot in any way.

I wll say, however, in comparing BA and Haley...based on the extremely short sample of play calling of 1 preseason game, we already saw Haley make a "brilliant" in game adjustment. After the Arians experience, it was amazing to see a Steeler OC call plays that force Ben to get it out of his hand quicker to alleviate and slow down the pass rush.

Arians refused to do that by continuing to call for 5 and 7 step drops in spite of a leaky OL. Ultimately it forced him into Art II's version of retirement.

Haley seems to play the hand he is dealt and I like that. I would rather have that than a guy who is married to a particular style.

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2012, 08:57 AM
i like how people are essentially analyzing an offense that we've essentially seen 1% of

suitanim
08-13-2012, 09:13 AM
i like how people are essentially analyzing an offense that we've essentially seen 1% of

Who did that? I simply pointed out that if Haley wants to run when everyone knows we're running, and pass when everyone knows we're passing, we will HAVE to execute better than we have in the past.

I didn't even bring BA up, someone else did...basically blaming him for things that don't even fall under his purview. I don't really WANT to talk about BA anymore, but I just beg and plead that if people feel they MUST discuss him then PLEASE and at least only blame him for things that fall under his area of authority. No need to "Bu-bu-bu-but Bruce" this issue....

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2012, 09:27 AM
sorry for favoring a far more reputable offensive coordinator. Yikes

suitanim
08-13-2012, 09:42 AM
sorry for favoring a far more reputable offensive coordinator. Yikes

And who didn't favor him? Me?

And I have no idea where the "far more reputable" comes in. As far as I can see, both are equally employed, and Haley is one the lacking the Super Bowl winning credentials.

I'm just tired of this purifying garbage gutter logic, this intellectually lazy tripe where the less astute who can't grasp the complexity of an NFL offense just fob off every problem, real or imagined, attributable to him or not, on the OC. We see it several times in this very thread. Offensive line failure? OC's fault. Defenses inability to stop an opposing QB? OC's fault. All roads lead back to the Steelers offensive coordinator.

Haley's time is coming. His merits, strengths, creativity, IQ, football acumen and pedigree be damned, he's a Steelers OC, so HE WILL BE SCAPEGOATED.

It just gets old...

polamalubeast
08-13-2012, 10:50 AM
The gamethread in the game between the Colts and the Steelers could be very ugly!

The Duke
08-13-2012, 11:37 AM
The gamethread in the game between the Colts and the Steelers could be very ugly!

hadn't even thought about that

good luck mods....

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2012, 11:52 AM
And who didn't favor him? Me?

And I have no idea where the "far more reputable" comes in. As far as I can see, both are equally employed, and Haley is one the lacking the Super Bowl winning credentials.

lol, just no

suitanim
08-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I don't know why...Arians is not our OC anymore. The offensive woes of the current team cannot POSSIBLY be blamed on him...at least i don't THINK they can.

Well, maybe they can. If people can find a way to blame the Steelers DEFENSE on the OC, they can probably contort their logic through enough mental gymnastics to blame Arians for something or other on the Arians-less Steelers...Hell, that one guy here still blames Kordell Stewart for things 10 years after he took his last snap with the B&G!

Psycho Ward 86
08-13-2012, 11:56 AM
what offensive woes...

suitanim
08-13-2012, 12:09 PM
what offensive woes...

You saw no flaws or holes in our offense Thursday night? Every phase of it was perfectly in synch and firing on all cylinders, and will continue to be perfect every single play? We scored TD's on long drives every possession?

I'm talking about the people who complain incessantly about every little thing that is out-of-synch or not perfectly executed. Those people need a scapegoat, and I'm presuming they may try to find a logic loophole and just keep on blaming Arians even though....well you know, he's not actually COACHING here anymore.

suitanim
08-13-2012, 12:11 PM
Otherwise, why would the gameday thread be contentious? Arians is gone and no longer our OC.

polamalubeast
08-13-2012, 12:29 PM
You saw no flaws or holes in our offense Thursday night? Every phase of it was perfectly in synch and firing on all cylinders, and will continue to be perfect every single play? We scored TD's on long drives every possession?

I'm talking about the people who complain incessantly about every little thing that is out-of-synch or not perfectly executed. Those people need a scapegoat, and I'm presuming they may try to find a logic loophole and just keep on blaming Arians even though....well you know, he's not actually COACHING here anymore.

Arians is now with the Colts

this thread was about Haley ... not a thread of Haley vs. Arians!

steelpride12
08-13-2012, 12:29 PM
OR it's been one pre-season game and even being able to find a discussion on Todd Haley's offense sounds farfetched.

How many seasons now has it been, every year the same thread on running the ball. You don't think the coaches, the players, and the rest of the staff know how plan a running attack.
It's all about execution, how the players react in a situation. Ever offensive position is responsible for how that particular running play will fall into action.

polamalubeast
08-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Otherwise, why would the gameday thread be contentious? Arians is gone and no longer our OC.

The next game for the steelers is against the Colts

86WARD
08-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Lol at people picking out flaws in the offense already...it's the first preseason game...lol.

polamalubeast
08-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Lol at people picking out flaws in the offense already...it's the first preseason game...lol.

And the offense of the Steelers had scored 10 points on two drives against the first defensive unit of eagles!

86WARD
08-13-2012, 02:46 PM
But the eagles were missing so many starters!! Lol...

Butch
08-13-2012, 03:01 PM

Then why not let it drop or maybe start your own thread on the Genius of B.A.???

This thread is about Haley who is now the O.C. and for what it's worth tallied the score board with the starters for both teams no the field. I did not see the game so I'm not ready to sing his praises yet but I'm more impressed with what his game plan was last week than I am worried about what it might become when all the starters aren't in.

bayz101
08-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I think we all know, even TOMLIN knows the DEFENSE carried us to the SuperBowl in '08 with Arians, and that's that. I think Haley did well for his first game, and being that it's a preseason game, all this criticism from a singular biased party doesn't make too much sense to me. The LAST thing i'm paying attention to this preseason is the play-calling, because it's usually centered around how we can get reps to these young players. The play-calling can truly be judged week one of the regular season, when it really matters.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 09:32 AM
Then why not let it drop or maybe start your own thread on the Genius of B.A.???

This thread is about Haley who is now the O.C. and for what it's worth tallied the score board with the starters for both teams no the field. I did not see the game so I'm not ready to sing his praises yet but I'm more impressed with what his game plan was last week than I am worried about what it might become when all the starters aren't in.

I commented about execution, and the lack of it. I did not mention Arians. Someone else did, and then the thread went off on a tangent about how Arians was an idiot and how everything was all his fault. I didn't bring it up, but I did address the idiocy that always seems to surround him. I never called him a genius, but I did cite a source who happens to be an NFL coach and former defensive coordinator who game planned against him who said he was brilliant.

Hmmmmm.......who should I believe? Who knows more about these things? Chuck Pagano, or..............................you...........hmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2012, 09:54 AM
You saw no flaws or holes in our offense Thursday night?

You really think we would expose our full offense in a preseason game? :lol:

suitanim
08-14-2012, 10:18 AM
You really think we would expose our full offense in a preseason game? :lol:

I'm stating that a certain contingency of posters here will soon find themselves in a bit of a pickle. Since someone must be blamed if we don't score a TD on every possession, and win every game 100-0, and they used to just heap all the blame for everything that went wrong in ANY of the three phases of the game on Arians, AND they don't want to be seen as reactionary and reflexively dumping on the new OC (as predicted), they will need a scapegoat if and when things go wrong.

This contingency (contrary to their own high opinion of themselves) is, generally speaking, not the best and the brightest. I'm predicting that, since someone must be blamed they may just fall back on the tired and easy excuse and just keep blaming Arians.

By the way, concerning last Thursday, yes, I did see some offensive woes that had nothing to do with the OC. The blocking up front was bad. And here's how we come full circle again. I don't care HOW good of an OC Haley is, if we continue to block like that every game this year, we will be no better, and perhaps even worse off, then we were last year. That's pretty much all I was saying in the first place. I don't care if it's Todd Haley, or Ted Marchibroda, or Bruce Arians, or Bill Walsh, or Don Coryell calling the plays, if you don't block up front, and you don't run crisp routes, and you don't catch the balls or hit the holes, your offense will suffer.

Butch
08-14-2012, 10:25 AM
I commented about execution, and the lack of it. I did not mention Arians. Someone else did, and then the thread went off on a tangent about how Arians was an idiot and how everything was all his fault. I didn't bring it up, but I did address the idiocy that always seems to surround him. I never called him a genius, but I did cite a source who happens to be an NFL coach and former defensive coordinator who game planned against him who said he was brilliant.

Hmmmmm.......who should I believe? Who knows more about these things? Chuck Pagano, or..............................you...........hmmm mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

I never stated that you started anything and I never stated that you called him a genious rather that you personify him as one, your paranoia is showing. You obviously have a problem letting go maybe you should seek some professional help. While you did not start the B.A. thing you sure are trying to beat the Hell out of it. Everyone is ready to move on if you want to discuss it more start your very own thread.

Just because Dr. Spock was what many considered an expert doesn't mean you should follow his advice. I assume by your answer you follow authority to the level of the law nobody should ever question anything that is done by someone who has been deemed an "Expert" in the field. I call people like that Sheeple is that what you are???

86WARD
08-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I feel like some people don't grasp the concept of a preseason game and what teams try to establish during that first "real time/real life" game situation...

Butch
08-14-2012, 10:28 AM
contrary to their own high opinion of themselves

Pot Kettle.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
I displayed a general garment, and you claimed it was custom designed to fit you.

That ain't my fault, but if you feel you fall into that group of less astute posters, trust me buddy, I'd be doing you a great disservice if I tried to to talk you out of it.

Also, I have to admire what you're trying to do, somehow claiming that there may be a scenario in which me taking NFL head coach and former Ravens DC's opinion as having more value on the subject of NFL matters than yours may make me a "sheeple". It's patently ridiculous, of course, but a clever way to twist and spin and avoid admitting you're wrong. Again.

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2012, 10:36 AM
I'm stating that a certain contingency of posters here will soon find themselves in a bit of a pickle. Since someone must be blamed if we don't score a TD on every possession, and win every game 100-0, and they used to just heap all the blame for everything that went wrong in ANY of the three phases of the game on Arians, AND they don't want to be seen as reactionary and reflexively dumping on the new OC (as predicted), they will need a scapegoat if and when things go wrong.

This contingency (contrary to their own high opinion of themselves) is, generally speaking, not the best and the brightest. I'm predicting that, since someone must be blamed they may just fall back on the tired and easy excuse and just keep blaming Arians.

By the way, concerning last Thursday, yes, I did see some offensive woes that had nothing to do with the OC. The blocking up front was bad. And here's how we come full circle again. I don't care HOW good of an OC Haley is, if we continue to block like that every game this year, we will be no better, and perhaps even worse off, then we were last year. That's pretty much all I was saying in the first place. I don't care if it's Todd Haley, or Ted Marchibroda, or Bruce Arians, or Bill Walsh, or Don Coryell calling the plays, if you don't block up front, and you don't run crisp routes, and you don't catch the balls or hit the holes, your offense will suffer.

we'll be fine, i dont know why youre using hyperbole, and i dont know why youre predicting doom with an offensive coordinator who has produced a variety of offenses that have shown elite production in running and/or passing the ball.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 10:41 AM
we'll be fine, i dont know why youre using hyperbole, and i dont know why youre predicting doom with an offensive coordinator who has produced a variety of offenses that have shown elite production in running and/or passing the ball.

I have not predicted doom. I'm simply stating that if we do not see improvement on the line, we will fail. And I did not see a ton of improvement after just one game. But it is just one game.

What I'm attempting to do here is state that Haley may not have success, and that it MAY NOT BE HIS FAULT.

Butch
08-14-2012, 11:08 AM
I displayed a general garment, and you claimed it was custom designed to fit you.

That ain't my fault, but if you feel you fall into that group of less astute posters, trust me buddy, I'd be doing you a great disservice if I tried to to talk you out of it.

Also, I have to admire what you're trying to do, somehow claiming that there may be a scenario in which me taking NFL head coach and former Ravens DC's opinion as having more value on the subject of NFL matters than yours may make me a "sheeple". It's patently ridiculous, of course, but a clever way to twist and spin and avoid admitting you're wrong. Again.

Never said anything about any opinion you have offered on this thread as being accurate that is just your blatant arrogance and high opinion of yourself that has blinded you once again. Your intentions are to smear anyone who disagrees with you by stating your points as eloquently written slanders.

While your use of the English Language is intriguing it doesn't mean your opinions of yourself or others is any more correct it simply illustrates how high and mighty you think of yourself.

Again Suit it is you who have failed to move on. B.A. has now you need to as well. I seriously think you need some professional help. Move along move along.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 11:37 AM
Thanks for offering your psychological evaluation. On top of knowing more about football than Chuck Pagano, apparently you fancy yourself a regular 'ole Sigmund Freud.

Anyway, I will lend your, um, observation exactly as much weight and credence as your other opinions merit: None.

Chidi29
08-14-2012, 12:07 PM
Hey I just met you
And this is crazy
But if the offense stalls
Fire Todd Haley

suitanim
08-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Hey I just met you
And this is crazy
But if the offense stalls
Fire Todd Haley

Just to clarify, that would be the exact OPPOSITE of my opinion. Haley is obviously a very talented OC. What I am saying is, rather than looking for the simple, monolithic answer, the quick and easy way out, if this offense fails, maybe this time around some of the people who so quickly leapt to blame Arians might want to expand their view and look at the big picture as to why we aren't scoring enough points. And, based on just that one game, it looks like our problems along the OL haven't completely abated.

Chidi29
08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Just to clarify, I'm never serious when I half-quote a pop singer.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 12:37 PM
Just to clarify, I'm never serious when I half-quote a pop singer.

Others would misinterpret.

Psycho Ward 86
08-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Others would misinterpret.

no we wouldnt

86WARD
08-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Signed RB Jason Ford

Butch
08-14-2012, 03:36 PM
Thanks for offering your psychological evaluation. On top of knowing more about football than Chuck Pagano, apparently you fancy yourself a regular 'ole Sigmund Freud.

Anyway, I will lend your, um, observation exactly as much weight and credence as your other opinions merit: None.

You don't have to be sigmund freud to know a nutcase when you see one. Kinda like that whole Dr. Spock thing. LOL

Count Steeler
08-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Let's get back on the subject of the thread.

suitanim
08-15-2012, 06:22 AM
Let's get back on the subject of the thread.

I have tried. Several times.

Bottom line: If we continue to block like we did against the Eagles, it's going to be a long season.