PDA

View Full Version : BUFFONE: The Steelers Should Shop Mike Wallace

LLT
08-08-2012, 05:05 AM
by John Buffone
kittanningpaper.com
08/08/12

As the Pittsburgh Steelers prepare for their first preseason game tomorrow night against the Philadelphia Eagles, the Mike Wallace saga continues to churn out nothing as far as progress. The two sides are at a standstill as Wallace is holding out for a long-term deal while the Steelers refuse to offer anything but a one-year tender offer. While Steelers GM Kevin Colbert is adamant that Wallace is “not available”, it almost seems that right now would be the right time to move the disgruntled receiver. If Wallace is serious about holding out deep into the regular season, the Steelers are gaining nothing from holding onto him. Even if Wallace does return in the middle of the regular season, he won’t be in football shape and will still have to get familiar with Todd Haley’s new offensive system. Furthermore, Wallace’s hesitant return would only give him more motivation to leave at the end of the season in free agency. So in theory, the Steelers could have Wallace for a few games this year and see him walk at the end of the season. That being the case, it’s easy to think that Wallace could be traded for second-round pick or better given his incredible speed and deep threat potential.

Read More: http://www.kittanningpaper.com/2012/08/08/buffone-the-steelers-should-shop-mike-wallace/29340

Count Steeler
08-08-2012, 05:12 AM
I don't think Colbert's phone is on ignore. Even though they say they are not going to trade Wallace, I'm sure there is a deal that Kevin would listen to.

steelers_switzerland
08-08-2012, 05:34 AM
what is the point of this article? shop him before you are left empty-handed at the end of the season? they could slap the franchise tag on wallace... so the whole piece makes no sense for me. i don't want to see mike go, i think he'll be dominant for many years to come. but for the right price (assuming he doesn't report before regular season) it maybe is better to do just that.

but he's worth a first round pick, period.

zulater
08-08-2012, 11:03 AM
The writer should change his name to buffoon.

86WARD
08-08-2012, 11:36 AM
The writer should change his name to buffoon.

Lol...I just assumed it was a typo in the title...

Chidi29
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Not getting Wallace for a second rounder. Doesn't happen. No leverage. Last year of contract and will require big money to get a long-term deal? Another Santonio Holmes situation. At best, you're getting a 4th. Smarter just to let him go at the end of the year and likely get a 3rd round comp for him.

Chidi29
08-08-2012, 11:57 AM
Lol...I just assumed it was a typo in the title...

Ha, nope, that's his name. Graduated from my college right before I got there.

steelreserve
08-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Nope. If he won't sign the damn deal, let him rot. Then give him the franchise tag next year if he's really that important, and let him bitch.

Funny thing though, I bet if he holds out, we go 4-0 or 3-1 without him. Then he either learns the world doesn't revolve around him and wises up, or we learn we can win without him and move on, and it's no big deal.

Personally, the second one seems more likely, given our history with WRs who are divas or who are about to turn into divas. We let Burress go and won the Super Bowl the next year. We let Holmes go and narrowly lost the Super Bowl the next year. Fact is, 90% of football is about blocking and tackling and having at least a decent QB, and the difference between a top-10 WR and a merely above-average WR is not that much. We had this figured out long ago.

Moose
08-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I do believe the Steeler's when they say they don't want to trade or deal Wallace away, but just like any business venture, if there is a deal to be made that benefits the organization I do believe Colbert will listen. We all have seen it in the past....no one is guaranteed a position or job and there is always someone coming up to learn the job.

SteelerFanInStl
08-08-2012, 06:50 PM
Wallace has no leverage. He's getting bad advice from his agent.

SteelerEmpire
08-08-2012, 08:19 PM
Wallace has no leverage. He's getting bad advice from his agent.

I wouldn't say he has "no" leverage, it's just that "both" parties have leverage (in my opinion). There's a list of arguments for Wallace, there's a list of arguments for the Steelers. If Wallace was a Santonio Holmes type of clutch guy ON TOP of his stats and what he's done, I'd say no doubt the Steelers have to kick in to him. But outside of that game against Green Bay when he made that last second catch about 3 yrs ago, he doesn't have the clutch gift'. But his skills are the type that get you ahead of an opponent early so that you don't need those nail-biting cliff hangers like in the last season the Steelers won the SB...

fansince'76
08-08-2012, 08:27 PM
The two sides are at a standstill as Wallace is holding out for a long-term deal while the Steelers refuse to offer anything but a one-year tender offer.

This is wrong. The Steelers are more than willing to continue to negotiate a long-term deal when Wallace signs the one-year tender and gets his ass on the practice field. Dude needs to get his facts straight, because the whole premise of his piece is wrong.

gosteelers
08-08-2012, 09:18 PM
This is wrong. The Steelers are more than willing to continue to negotiate a long-term deal when Wallace signs the one-year tender and gets his ass on the practice field. Dude needs to get his facts straight, because the whole premise of his piece is wrong.

Thank you, his facts are wrong. Never heard of this writer and i hope i never hear from him again!

SteelerFanInStl
08-08-2012, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't say he has "no" leverage, it's just that "both" parties have leverage (in my opinion). There's a list of arguments for Wallace, there's a list of arguments for the Steelers. If Wallace was a Santonio Holmes type of clutch guy ON TOP of his stats and what he's done, I'd say no doubt the Steelers have to kick in to him. But outside of that game against Green Bay when he made that last second catch about 3 yrs ago, he doesn't have the clutch gift'. But his skills are the type that get you ahead of an opponent early so that you don't need those nail-biting cliff hangers like in the last season the Steelers won the SB...

Well, maybe not none, but he has very little. The Steelers have (at least) 2 other good young WRs raring to go and they can also put the franchise tag on him at the end of this year. They've already told him that he needs to sign the tender first and get into camp, then they will work on a long-term deal.

If he holds out much longer, I'm afraid that his future will be in another town. Trade him to the Raiders or the Dolphins and see how he likes that.

Chidi29
08-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Thank you, his facts are wrong. Never heard of this writer and i hope i never hear from him again!

I've heard him talk about the Wallace situation previously and yeah, he's usually been off the mark.

Of course, so have I so I guess I can't be one to throw stones.

steelerdude15
08-08-2012, 11:38 PM
I don't believe the Steelers should shop him around nor do I believe they will. They wouldn't receive much for him if they did, I mean the most they may get is a fourth round pick and that's not even worth it for the Steelers. He should stay with the Steelers. It would benefit him the most if he were to stay with the Steelers if he wants to win. Like I said before, he is the one that is hurting the most.

tube517
08-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I've heard him talk about the Goodell situation previously and yeah, he's usually been off the mark.

Of course, so have I so I guess I can't be one to throw stones.

Fixed it for ya. :chuckle:

Seriously, you can write better than this buffoon, Chidi. Tell them they hired the wrong guy from your school.

SMR
08-11-2012, 09:42 PM
Wallace+Bus Cook= bad marriage.