PDA

View Full Version : Mike Tomlin No Longer Supportive Of WR Mike Wallace

86WARD
08-07-2012, 07:54 PM
The Steelers do not expect Mike Wallace to report to training camp before they depart St. Vincent College Aug. 18, but they have no intention of trading their Pro Bowl wide receiver at any point this season, a team source told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Wallace has yet to sign a one-year tender worth $2.7 million and the Steelers have not heard from him since training camp began July 25. The source also said the Steelers will wait several weeks before they decide if they need to sign a veteran free-agent receiver. The Steelers are not overly optimistic they can sign Wallace to a long-term deal, but he can still play for them this season and then be labeled a "franchise" or "transition" player in 2013. Wallace's holdout has upset Coach Mike Tomlin, who is no longer supportive of his big-play receiver, a team source said.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/source-wallace-not-on-trading-block-for-steelers-647985/

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 07:57 PM
As I said yesterday,I don't care of Wallace right now

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 08:00 PM
The Steelers will probably not give a long term contract and they will probably put the tag on Wallace for the 2013 season

steelerdude15
08-07-2012, 08:04 PM
In the long run, Mikey is hurting himself more than he hurting the Steelers. Get your and your agent's act together, sign the tender and get to camp.

Count Steeler
08-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Well, there is the kiss of death. Tomlin is no longer in his corner. Hold him until a team gets desperate for a WR and then trade him for a 1st.

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
In the long run, Mikey is hurting himself more than he hurting the Steelers. Get your and your agent's act together, sign the tender and get to camp.

The agent of Wallace is the same agent that Brett Favre....But at the same time, this is Wallace who has decided to make a holdout

This is probably one of the most useless holdout that I have seen....Wallace is very stubborn right now and he will probably not play in the first 10 games

steelerdude15
08-07-2012, 08:12 PM
Bus Cook, Agent for Mike Wallace, Has a Client History of Training Camp Drama

Steelers WR Mike Wallace's decision whether to sign his restricted free agency tender offer of $2.7 million has been the headline-grabbing story this off-season.

With that off-season all but finished (players report to training camp today for the infamous conditioning test with practice beginning Thursday), that one-year contract is nothing but unsigned.

Will Wallace show up today, sign the contract, run his 16 110-yard sprints (or some other ungodly amount) and let his agent and the front office continue negotiating a long-term deal? Or will he sit it all out?

There's been nothing but conjecture and speculation to this point (including a poorly timed joke Tuesday announcing Wallace had signed a five-year deal, just an hour after the Steelers announced an extension for head coach Mike Tomlin), but the fact is Wallace cannot practice with the team until his contract is signed.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/7/25/3185702/steelers-training-camp-holdout-mike-wallace-bus-cook-marcedes-lewis-hines-ward

SteelerEmpire
08-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Of course the coach isn't gonna "say" he's in his corner at this point. He has to be seen as in the team's corner in the negotiations now to put the next level of pressure on Wallace to get to camp...

bayz101
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
The Steelers will probably not give a long term contract and they will probably put the tag on Wallace for the 2013 season

The tag will cost almost 10 million next year.

Psycho Ward 86
08-07-2012, 08:49 PM

Not necessarily. thats what everyone said about vincent jackson and what did he do? play 6 games and get a 5 year $55 million deal from the Bucs. $$Cha-Ching$$.

86WARD
08-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Not the agent. All Wallace.

X-Terminator
08-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Not necessarily. thats what everyone said about vincent jackson and what did he do? play 6 games and get a 5 year $55 million deal from the Bucs. $$Cha-Ching$$.

The Steelers will franchise Wallace if he tries to do that. Book it. They will not let him walk for nothing.

43Hitman
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM
I generally dismiss unnamed sources, so until I hear it straight from Tomlin's mouth, I'll remain skeptical.

BuzzBomb
08-07-2012, 09:04 PM

That is not true! Vincent Jackson sat out all but 5 games of 2010, signed the tender and played out 2011 with the Chargers. He put up one of his statistically best seasons last year.

Wallace can try the same but I have difficulty believing he comes back next year and puts up big numbers...especially if Brown and Sanders have some success this year in his absence.

Craic
08-08-2012, 01:53 AM
Wallace has to remember that he has two WRs nipping at his heals that are a year younger than him, and have both shown the ability to go over the middle as well as up the field. There is a very good chance that if Wallace doesn't come back until the middle of the year, he'll find himself in the third spot on the receiver depth chart, maybe even fourth for a while. I doubt he'd be able to make it back to number 1, and maybe not even number 2 unless he has 8 or 10 games still to play.

Very dumb move at this point.

Hey, I understand making a statement. Sit out for three days so that the club knows just how you feel about it, then come to camp and take care of business. Or, better yet, get an agent that understands how the Steelers actually do business.

Austin87
08-08-2012, 05:26 AM
I just can't understand the logic behind what Wallace is doing. Makes zero sense to me.

smokin3000gt
08-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Welp you've really shit the nest when MT is no longer supportive.

GBMelBlount
08-08-2012, 07:01 AM
Wallace has to remember that he has two WRs nipping at his heals that are a year younger than him, and have both shown the ability to go over the middle as well as up the field.

There is a very good chance that if Wallace doesn't come back until the middle of the year, he'll find himself in the third spot on the receiver depth chart, maybe even fourth for a while. I doubt he'd be able to make it back to number 1, and maybe not even number 2 unless he has 8 or 10 games still to play.

Very dumb move at this point.

Hey, I understand making a statement. Sit out for three days so that the club knows just how you feel about it, then come to camp and take care of business. Or, better yet, get an agent that understands how the Steelers actually do business.

Agreed.

....and I wonder if Wallace is worried that his production might not be as good this year with Brown and Sanders both healthy and improving....

Plus it sounds like Haley wants to run more and emphasize the shorter passing game.

One thing that I noticed the last half of the season was that I NEVER saw Wallace smile....not once...

Whether it was because Ben was not in synch with him, he missed his 2000 yard guarantee or Antonio Brown stole the show...one thing I can say is Wallace was NOT happy last year.

suitanim
08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
Bus Cook has a long history of playing people off each other, lying, putting words in other peoples mouths, dissing his own clients, etc, etc...it's a "worst case scenario" for dealing with the no-nonsense Rooney's. Cook is basically all nonsense...

zulater
08-08-2012, 10:00 AM
The best thing that could happen for the Steelers Thursday night is for Chris Rainey to catch a couple passes out of the slot and break one.

Mamaduck43
08-08-2012, 03:02 PM
I feel that once the teams figured out how to cover Wallace, his effectiveness diminished greatly..... I trust that the team is preparing for the season with a small place for him, if that happens, but, if anything, the Steelers home office and history proves that no player is indispensable!!!! Especially one with a monster sized ego to deal with.... I would love to see Mike suited up, but I am not going to hold my breath...

Moose
08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Wallace has to remember that he has two WRs nipping at his heals that are a year younger than him, and have both shown the ability to go over the middle as well as up the field. There is a very good chance that if Wallace doesn't come back until the middle of the year, he'll find himself in the third spot on the receiver depth chart, maybe even fourth for a while. I doubt he'd be able to make it back to number 1, and maybe not even number 2 unless he has 8 or 10 games still to play.

Very dumb move at this point Hey, I understand making a statement. Sit out for three days so that the club knows just how you feel about it, then come to camp and take care of business. Or, better yet, get an agent that understands how the Steelers actually do business.

Exactly....excellent point !!

Lou Donny
08-08-2012, 11:00 PM
As much as I want to blame the slimy agent...my guess is Bus Cook is well aware of the Rooney's business model.

Soooo, that leads me to believe that 17 is calling the shots on this one

Im just hopeful he enjoys an extra few weeks of summer vacation...and reports before preseason game #4

But the thought of an extension seems to be fading away