PDA

View Full Version : Steelers need WR, but Burress reportedly wants 'too much money'

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 08:55 AM
With talks at a standstill between Mike Wallace and the Pittsburgh Steelers, don't be surprised to see the team go fishing for another wideout.

The pool is thinning. The Seattle Seahawks have gone on a torrid run of late, swallowing up every aging veteran pass-catcher out there. Except for one, Plaxico Burress.

Burress is still a free agent, despite catching eight touchdown passes for the New York Jets a season ago. He was a central piece of Pittsburgh's offense between 2000 and 2004, and they could use a red-zone threat. In theory, a logical fit, except for this: Burress wants "too much money," according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

"Plaxico Burress has a big back tax bill. He is unemployed," Bouchette tweeted Tuesday. "... but something has to give and it doesnt look as though Wallace will give in any time soon."

read more

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000046583/article/plaxico-burress-reportedly-wants-too-much-money?module=HP11_headline_stack

gosteelers
08-07-2012, 09:06 AM
I'm sure limas sweed would come cheap!-----------------oh, that's right! :)j/k

Nadroj 20
08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
I can't find a decent list of WR still available. Anyone help me out?

Godfather
08-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Shouldn't have put Hines out to pasture.

zulater
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
Shouldn't have put Hines out to pasture.

Hines is done. He didn't even block particularly well last year. No matter what shortcomings Wallace's continued absences result in, bringing back a washed up Ward as a bandage wasn't going to help matters any.

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:12 AM
We need red zone touchdowns.

Burress is arguably a logical fit.

fansince'76
08-07-2012, 10:13 AM
Don't need this headcase. Next.

Hindes204
08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
Don't need this headcase. Next.

I agree, @&*$ that guy...Does everyone remember the garbage he talked about Pittsburgh when he left. I could care less how much he would help (if any), him being in a Steeler uniform again would piss me off

fansince'76
08-07-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree, @&*$ that guy...Does everyone remember the garbage he talked about Pittsburgh when he left. I could care less how much he would help (if any), him being in a Steeler uniform again would piss me off

I'm hopeful that the OL will be able to manage without Heath Miller for a change and HE can be our red zone target. Besides, isn't Pittsburgh too "racist" for Burress anyway?

86WARD
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
If he would've accepted the Steelers offer last season, he wouldn't be in this "position" today...just saying...

suitanim
08-07-2012, 11:45 AM
If he wants more than a dollar, he wants too much. I'd offer him $1 and the whole rest of his contract would have to be incentives. No more Plexispike!

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 12:13 PM
If he wants more than a dollar, he wants too much. I'd offer him $1 and the whole rest of his contract would have to be incentives. No more Plexispike!

Paying Burress $1 after scoring 8 touchdowns is arguably more attractive than paying Wallace $10,000,000 a year after scoring 8 touchdowns. :chuckle:

I do wonder how much Burress wants.

Austin87
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
No thanks.

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Steelers GM Kevin Colbert: Plaxico Not Necessarily On Pittsburgh’s Radar

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Pittsburgh Steelers General Manager Kevin Colbert visits with Sportsradio 93-7 The Fan’s Vinnie & Cook live from training camp.

Kevin gives his thoughts on how training camp has progressed to this point, updating the latest on the two young offensive rookies, and looking ahead to Thursday’s preseason opener in Philadelphia.

Kevin says he is looking for someone in the locker room to step up and fill the void left behind by former Steelers James Farrior, Hines Ward, Chris Hoke and Aaron Smith.

Kevin talks about the progression of Rashard Mendenhall and reveals when he expects him back from his knee injury, updates the Mike Wallace situation, and explains why Plaxico Burress may not on his radar at this point.

click here to play audio

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/08/07/steelers-gm-kevin-colbert-plaxico-not-necessarily-on-pittsburghs-radar/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

86WARD
08-07-2012, 01:17 PM
Not "necessarily" on radar?!?

Pristas
08-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Imagine how long it would take him to learn the new playbook between bong hits. It would be December before he caught anything, and even then it just might be an STD.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 02:37 PM
The only one in that locker room who doesnt want to see buress signed is cotchery.

zulater
08-07-2012, 02:49 PM
The only one in that locker room who doesnt want to see buress signed is cotchery.

Doubt if Cotch or most of the players really care one way or the other. If the Steelers thought that Burress was better than Cothchery they'd have signed him ages ago. If Burress is signed it will simply be as insurance policy against Wallace holding out into the season. Barring injury he ( Burress) wont move ahead of Cotchery on the depth chart. Burress if signed will be the 4th or 5th receiver. Nothing more.

If Wallace comes into camp tomorrow any talk of Burress being a Steeler will cease immediately.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Doubt if Cotch or most of the players really care one way or the other. If the Steelers thought that Burress was better than Cothchery they'd have signed him ages ago. If Burress is signed it will simply be as insurance policy against Wallace holding out into the season. Barring injury he ( Burress) wont move ahead of Cotchery on the depth chart. Burress if signed will be the 4th or 5th receiver. Nothing more.

If Wallace comes into camp tomorrow any talk of Burress being a Steeler will cease immediately.

Burres is bett than cotchery, and yes Burress would leap frog him on the depth chart for sure.

zulater
08-07-2012, 02:54 PM
Burres is bett than cotchery, and yes Burress would leap frog him on the depth chart for sure.

Yeah that's why Burress is unemployed and Cotchery had multiple teams interested in him! :chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 02:57 PM
Burress is bett than cotchery, and yes Burress would leap frog him on the depth chart for sure

The jets fan is not agree

Burress was too slow,last year

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah that's why Burress is unemployed and Cotchery had multiple teams interested in him! :chuckle:

Cotchery was signed because he was cheap not because he was a good talent. After plax caught 8 tds last season if he was asking for the same money as cotch who do you think wouldve been signed first? That why our qb has been wanting burress since he left because the guys a talent, he certainly wasnt asking for cotchery.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 03:00 PM
The jets fan is not agree

Burress was too slow,last year
The jets cut cotchery and signed burress

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 03:18 PM
The jets cut cotchery and signed burress

The jets are dumb

suitanim
08-07-2012, 03:28 PM
Cotchery was signed because he was cheap not because he was a good talent. After plax caught 8 tds last season if he was asking for the same money as cotch who do you think wouldve been signed first? That why our qb has been wanting burress since he left because the guys a talent, he certainly wasnt asking for cotchery.

WTF?

You can't seriously think this way? I mean, you're not a bright bulb, and you prove this repeatedly, but....REALLY?

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 03:43 PM

Of course.

But he hasn't so this is a good discussion and we are simply shooting the shit til the season starts. :drink:

Apparently everyone thinks Burress who had 8 touchdowns last season is a worthless piece of shit.

So tell me in your opinion (until Wallace is signed and this is a moot point), who else should we be looking at to at least keep our options open if Burress is not an option?

Kaeg
08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I haven't wanted him back since he left. Still don't. But if he settles for an incentive heavy contract because Wallace is unsure, I guess I'd settle. (Is there anyone else out there?)

Hindes204
08-07-2012, 03:46 PM
WTF?

You can't seriously think this way? I mean, you're not a bright bulb, and you prove this repeatedly, but....REALLY?

I just spit my water all over my computer.....thanks suit

86WARD
08-07-2012, 04:08 PM

They offered Burress a two-year deal before they signed Cotchery last season.

86WARD
08-07-2012, 04:09 PM
The jets are dumb

True story!!

Steeldude
08-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Why are fans asking for an old WR with poor fundamentals, average hands, a poor attitude and a high price tag? Yes, let's put a WR who gives up on passes. Or maybe a WR who his out-muscled by 5', 9" CBs in the red zone.

I would rather go with a rookie WR.

suitanim
08-07-2012, 04:19 PM
They offered Burress a two-year deal before they signed Cotchery last season.

Who? The Steelers?

I DEFINITELY need to see a non-PFT source on that one.

Plaxico is garbage. We already put it out to the curb, and all it's done is rot since.

zulater
08-07-2012, 04:20 PM

Ben lobbied hard for the Steelers to bring back Cotchery this offseason before he was re-upped.

zulater
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
Why are fans asking for an old WR with poor fundamentals, average hands, a poor attitude and a high price tag? Yes, let's put a WR who gives up on passes. Or maybe a WR who his out-muscled by 5', 9" CBs in the red zone.

I would rather go with a rookie WR.

Agreed and well stated.

86WARD
08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Who? The Steelers?

I DEFINITELY need to see a non-PFT source on that one.

Plaxico is garbage. We already put it out to the curb, and all it's done is rot since.

It's been reported by several people with inside information (Pat Kirwan most recently and a very reliable source) that Plax was offered a 2-Year deal from the Steelers that was a little more than the deal that the Jets offered him and he obviously chose to go with the "instant" money. He was offered the deal on or about July 29th and the Steelers signed Cotchery mid August.

steelerdude15
08-07-2012, 08:17 PM
I really don't want to deal with him. Yeah, he may have been a decent receiver when he was with the Steelers, but remember all the crap he said about the Rooneys and Pittsburgh when he left? No thanks.

SteelGhost
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
No thanks, I had enough Plexiglass back in the day. I have faith in our WR corps :nod:

zulater
08-07-2012, 08:48 PM
It's been reported by several people with inside information (Pat Kirwan most recently and a very reliable source) that Plax was offered a 2-Year deal from the Steelers that was a little more than the deal that the Jets offered him and he obviously chose to go with the "instant" money. He was offered the deal on or about July 29th and the Steelers signed Cotchery mid August.

Let me guess. His source was Plax's agent.

Seriously, "sources" said Wallace was signed to a long term extension about two weeks back. Sources don't always have the story straight.

86WARD
08-07-2012, 08:55 PM
No. The source is from the Steelers. You can choose to believe that the Steelers didn't want him last season because you have something against him, but they offered him a deal...nothing wrong with it...at the time, they thought they could use him. I'm sure Tomlin just went out to breakfast with him you know, for the hell of it...lol.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 09:26 PM
WTF?

Really you actually think if cotchery and burress had the same price tag cotchery would get signed before burress???????? Do you even watch football???? The steelers tried to sign burress before cotchery and the jets cut cotchery to sign burress, and lets not even compare career stats between the two because cotchery couldnt hold burresses jock.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 09:31 PM
Guy catches 8 tds last season as a number 2 with a bad passing game and a coach with a run first attitude and I have to sit here listen to people tell me that jerricho cotchery is a better reciever. Jerricho freakin cotchery!!!!!

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Guy catches 8 tds last season as a number 2 with a bad passing game and a coach with a run first attitude and I have to sit here listen to people tell me that jerricho cotchery is a better reciever. Jerricho freakin cotchery!!!!!

Burress was good in the red zone, but Burress was useless when he was not in the red zone

Burress was very slow and it was painful to watch

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 09:42 PM
Burress was good in the red zone, but Burress was useless when he was not in the red zone

Burress was very slow and it was painful to watch

Well he caught 45 passes for 600+ yards 13yd avg and 38 of his passes were for first downs, so he was hardly useless.

zulater
08-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Really you actually think if cotchery and burress had the same price tag cotchery would get signed before burress???????? Do you even watch football???? The steelers tried to sign burress before cotchery and the jets cut cotchery to sign burress, and lets not even compare career stats between the two because cotchery couldnt hold burresses jock.

No one's comparing career stats. We're talking right now, and right now Cotchery is a much better player than Burress. A number 2 receiver who only catches 40 balls on any team is a joke. That's why he's no longer a Jet.

X-Terminator
08-07-2012, 09:49 PM
No one's comparing career stats. We're talking right now, and right now Cotchery is a much better player than Burress. A number 2 receiver who only catches 40 balls on any team is a joke. That's why he's no longer a Jet.

To be fair, it's not like he had Joe Montana throwing to him...

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Well he caught 45 passes for 600+ yards 13yd avg and 38 of his passes were for first downs, so he was hardly useless.

600 yards for a WR # 2 is not very good

zulater
08-07-2012, 09:53 PM

As you said he was their number 2 receiver all year. . The Jets threw the ball 547 times last season. That's more passes than the Steelers threw. (539) And he only caught 45 passes! Twice he was completely shut out. Twice he only caught one ball in a game. This from the number 2 receiver! He's done. He gets no separation from DB's. Yes he's a decent specialty player, as in red zone target, but he wants to be paid like he's a number 2 or 3 and he's not worth it now, nor was he last year.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 09:53 PM

Santonio holmes caught 51 as there number 1 i guess cotchery is better than him too. The fact is that sanchez was bad last season and the jets want to pound the ball it had nothing to do with burress being ineffective.

zulater
08-07-2012, 09:54 PM
To be fair, it's not like he had Joe Montana throwing to him...

Go ask Larry Fitzgerald if that's an excuse. :wink02:

zulater
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Santonio holmes caught 51 as there number 1 i guess cotchery is better than him too. The fact is that sanchez was bad last season and the jets want to pound the ball it had nothing to do with burress being ineffective.

That's because Santonio was sulking away the season.

So you tell me, why isn't Burress a Jet this year?

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 09:57 PM

Holmes has had by far his worst season of his career in 2011

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 09:59 PM
As you said he was their number 2 receiver all year. . The Jets threw the ball 547 times last season. That's more passes than the Steelers threw. (539) And he only caught 45 passes! Twice he was completely shut out. Twice he only caught one ball in a game. This from the number 2 receiver! He's done. He gets no separation from DB's. Yes he's a decent specialty player, as in red zone target, but he wants to be paid like he's a number 2 or 3 and he's not worth it now, nor was he last year.

Im not talking about his pay im talking about him being better than jerricho cotchery!!!!

zulater
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Here's a stat for ya Dawg. As the number 3 receiver for the Jets, with Mark Sanchez as the quarterback, playing only 13 games ( as opposed to Burress 16 games in 2011) Jerricho Cotchery caught 41 passes. The number 2 receiver Braylon Edwards caught 53-904- 7 td's. So you tell me, how was Burress an upgrade? Looks to me as if a big part of Sanchez's problem was he didn't have another receiver after Holmes last season. And that's probably why Santonio's numbers dropped so badly as well. Without Edwards and Cotchery to worry about teams could roll their safeties to Holmes and take him out of the game. No wonder Santonio sulked the season away! :heh:

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes he's a decent specialty player, as in red zone target, but he wants to be paid like he's a number 2 or 3 and he's not worth it now, nor was he last year.

So we agree that with Burress being a number 2 receiver on a team with a shitty quarterback and scoring as many touchdowns as any of our receivers that Burress is GOOD in the red zone ...

Which might explain why Ben likes him so much....

So the main problem with considering Burress as a number 3 or 4 receiver (if wallace didn't sign) is the money he wants?

zulater
08-07-2012, 10:10 PM
So we agree that with the only steeler scoring more TD's than Burress last year was Mendy that Burress is good in the red zone...

Which might explain why Ben likes him so much....

So can we agree that the main problem with considering Burress as a number 3 or 4 receiver (if wallace didn't sign) is the money he wants?

That and he's a putz. To know him is to dislike him. He doesn't think he has to pay the little people in life. Ask any contractor that's ever done work for him.

I really hope he never plays another down as a Steeler.

fansince'76
08-07-2012, 10:11 PM
So can we agree that the main problem with considering Burress as a number 3 or 4 receiver (if wallace didn't sign) is the money he wants?

Well, that and he'll more than likely cop an attitude because "he ain't getting 'nuff touches" like he did during his whinefest in the locker room following the '04 AFCCG after alligator-arming a sure TD - in the red zone, no less.

Again, pass.

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Well, that and he'll more than likely cop an attitude because "he ain't getting 'nuff touches" like he did during his whinefest in the locker room following the '04 AFCCG after alligator-arming a sure TD - in the red zone, no less.

Again, pass.

Understood....so since you pass....and we are chatting about options if Wallace doesn't sign....who do you suggest we consider as a #3 or #4?

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
That and he's a putz. To know him is to dislike him. He doesn't think he has to pay the little people in life. Ask any contractor that's ever done work for him.

I really hope he never plays another down as a Steeler.

I do understand your point.

So tell me who you should suggest we consider if wallace didn't sign.

fansince'76
08-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Understood....so since you pass....and we are chatting about options if Wallace doesn't sign....who do you suggest we consider as a #3 or #4?

Nobody - take a chance on one of the rookies, especially if Plexiglass is the only option.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 10:29 PM
Here's a stat for ya Dawg. As the number 3 receiver for the Jets, with Mark Sanchez as the quarterback, playing only 13 games ( as opposed to Burress 16 games in 2011) Jerricho Cotchery caught 41 passes. The number 2 receiver Braylon Edwards caught 53-904- 7 td's. So you tell me, how was Burress an upgrade? Looks to me as if a big part of Sanchez's problem was he didn't have another receiver after Holmes last season. And that's probably why Santonio's numbers dropped so badly as well. Without Edwards and Cotchery to worry about teams could roll their safeties to Holmes and take him out of the game. No wonder Santonio sulked the season away! :heh:

And jerricho is better than plax how? Im not making a case for burress being a number 2 im saying hes a better reciever than cotchery and would be ahead of him on our depth chart. honestly who do you think would get on the field or who ben would want to throw to in the redzone? Where was our problems last season, in the redzone? Cotchery only had 16 catches we didnt need him to move the ball we have guys way more talented then him for that, we need redzone production and burress is a much better option in the redzone than cotchery. And i will pose the same question to you if cotchery was so good why is he not a jet or better yet why is he our number 4? Antonio brown had 69 catces as our #2 yes 24 more catches than burress but burress caught 6 more tds than AB.

zulater
08-07-2012, 10:30 PM
So tell me who you should suggest we consider if wallace didn't sign.

Don't know, don't care. Things will work themselves out in the end. Wallace will probably be in sometime before the opener.

But regardless, let me ask you this. If I asked you who the Steelers 4th receiver was going to be two years ago would you for a second have thought the answer might lie with our 6th round draft pick from Central Michigan?

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:32 PM
Nobody - take a chance on one of the rookies, especially if Plexiglass is the only option.

fair enough.

fansince'76
08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
But regardless, let me ask you this. If I asked you who the Steelers 4th receiver was going to be two years ago would you for a second have thought the answer might lie with our 6th round draft pick from Central Michigan?

Exactly - pretty much what I was alluding to with this post:

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:37 PM
Don't know, don't care. Things will work themselves out in the end. Wallace will probably be in sometime before the opener.

We have already discussed this fact so this thread is simply talking about hypothetical (though improbable) alternatives....

So let me ask you, how comfortable will you be with cotchery as #2 and an unknown at #3 if either Brown or Sanders has their leg snapped like a twig the first game of the season.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM
We have already discussed this fact and this obviously only a contingency plan....

So let me ask you, how comfortable will you be with cotchery as #2 and an unknown at #3 if Brownor Sander's legs are snapped like a twig the first game of the season.

Terrified

zulater
08-07-2012, 10:41 PM
And jerricho is better than plax how? Im not making a case for burress being a number 2 im saying hes a better reciever than cotchery and would be ahead of him on our depth chart. honestly who do you think would get on the field or who ben would want to throw to in the redzone? Where was our problems last season, in the redzone? Cotchery only had 16 catches we didnt need him to move the ball we have guys way more talented then him for that, we need redzone production and burress is a much better option in the redzone than cotchery. And i will pose the same question to you if cotchery was so good why is he not a jet or better yet why is he our number 4? Antonio brown had 69 catces as our #2 yes 24 more catches than burress but burress caught 6 more tds than AB.

Cotchery was a late sign and then missed a good portion of the season due to injuries. 16 catches wasn't a reflection of what the Steelers envision his worth to be on this year's team. If he's healthy this year he'll catch 30-45 passes most likely as the number 4. Perfect for the Steelers needs and a great guy in the room.

The Jets let Cotchery go because he asked them to.

Jerricho Cotchery wanted out, according to the New York Jets. He wanted out for some time, according to two sources.

Two hours after announcing Cotchery's release, the Jets added a twist to the sudden departure of the popular wide receiver, with coach Rex Ryan revealing that Cotchery had requested to be cut or traded.

Ryan declined to provide any specifics, except to say he tried to change Cotchery's mind. This had been building for several months. Cotchery, unhappy with his role as the No. 3 receiver, approached the organization after last season and asked to be traded, sources said.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/6833667/new-york-jets-release-jerricho-cotchery

Burress was a one trick pony with the Jets. You force it in enough to one player in the end zone and it will build up his TD production. Reagrdless. I don't think he'll be a Steeler this year. So I'll leave the argument there until such time as that status changes.

Good night.:wave:

fansince'76
08-07-2012, 10:42 PM
So let me ask you, how comfortable will you be with cotchery as #2 and an unknown at #3 if Brownor Sander's legs are snapped like a twig the first game of the season.

First game of the season? There are bound to be plenty of dudes who got cut from one team's roster or another sitting around their phones waiting for a call at that point.

GBMelBlount
08-07-2012, 10:43 PM
First game of the season? There are bound to be plenty of dudes who got cut from one team's TC or another sitting around their phones waiting for a call at that point.

Then I guess that is the answer. :drink:

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 10:51 PM
First game of the season? There are bound to be plenty of dudes who got cut from one team's roster or another sitting around their phones waiting for a call at that point.

Exactly if that were to happen they would not be asking cotchery to be the #2 they be on the phone with plax!!!

zulater
08-07-2012, 10:55 PM
According to the Associated Press Burress has been sued at least 9 times since joining the NFL in 2000.http://www.docstoc.com/docs/70174358/Plaxico-Burress

This and he has a history of domestic abuse.

He called the city of Pittsburgh racist.

I don't like him. I don't want him.

zulater
08-07-2012, 10:56 PM
Exactly if that were to happen they would not be asking cotchery to be the #2 they be on the phone with plax!!!

They wouldn't be on the phone with Cotchery because he'll already be employed by the Steelers.

steeldawg
08-07-2012, 10:59 PM
They wouldn't be on the phone with Cotchery because he'll already be employed by the Steelers.

ya but they wont be asking for his services as a #2 they will be bringing someone in for that.

zulater
08-07-2012, 11:00 PM
ya but they wont be asking for his services as a #2 they will be bringing someone in for that.

No one will ever ask Burress to be their number 2 again either.

gosteelers
08-07-2012, 11:57 PM
According to the Associated Press Burress has been sued at least 9 times since joining the NFL in 2000.http://www.docstoc.com/docs/70174358/Plaxico-Burress

This and he has a history of domestic abuse.

He called the city of Pittsburgh racist.

I don't like him. I don't want him.

Thank You, after what he said, he can burn in hel........cleveland!

tube517
08-08-2012, 12:59 AM
It won't happen. He had his chance last year and I said it then and I'll say it now, Won't happen.

Count Steeler
08-08-2012, 05:11 AM
Steelers NEED WR? Says who? It would be nice to have some added depth, but we don't NEED another WR. Especially if it is a head case in the form of Plaxico. Brown, Sanders and Cotchery is a pretty good trio. Hopefully injuries stay away, but at this point NEED is not a proper assessment of our personnel.

Austin87
08-08-2012, 05:19 AM
Steelers NEED WR? Says who? It would be nice to have some added depth, but we don't NEED another WR. Especially if it is a head case in the form of Plaxico. Brown, Sanders and Cotchery is a pretty good trio. Hopefully injuries stay away, but at this point NEED is not a proper assessment of our personnel.

This.

Count Steeler
08-08-2012, 05:59 AM
In my eyes, a backup QB is more of a NEED for the Steelers right now. Let's face it, with the pattern of the last couple of seasons, injuries have hit our OLine the hardest and subsequently, our QB gets dinged up pretty good. Lefty and Batch are old, fragile and unable to carry this team for more than 3-4 games, IMO.

zulater
08-08-2012, 06:17 AM
In my eyes, a backup QB is more of a NEED for the Steelers right now. Let's face it, with the pattern of the last couple of seasons, injuries have hit our OLine the hardest and subsequently, our QB gets dinged up pretty good. Lefty and Batch are old, fragile and unable to carry this team for more than 3-4 games, IMO.

I really don't think there's anyone out there who without benefit of OTA's and camp that could come in learn the system and do any better job than Lefty or C.B.

smokin3000gt
08-08-2012, 06:24 AM
The main problem I see with Plaxico (wonder how he pissed his parents off so bad they named him Plaxico?) is he had a piss poor attitude/thug mentality when he played for us years ago and I doubt it has gotten better since.

Butch
08-08-2012, 07:31 AM
Ben lobbied hard for the Steelers to bring back Cotchery this offseason before he was re-upped.

Not taking a side in this, if we bring him in then so be it and if we don't I'm fine with that too, but come on Zu you can do better than this. He argued to keep Plex before we let him go. Just sayin'.

LLT
08-08-2012, 07:32 AM
General manager Kevin Colbert said that unless a major injury occurs to one of the top three receivers — Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery — the Steelers aren’t actively seeking to add an outsider to the group, regardless of Mike Wallace’s holdout. Colbert told TribLive Radio that the Steelers would be more interested in bringing in a player who took part in spring practices with an organization before signing someone who hasn’t played in eight months. “Very rarely do you go to a guy who hasn’t been in a training camp or OTAs or minicamps. You like to get the guys that are active,” Colbert said.

Read More: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...pring-training

All this is a Mute Point as of now.

Butch
08-08-2012, 07:38 AM
We have already discussed this fact so this thread is simply talking about hypothetical (though improbable) alternatives....

So let me ask you, how comfortable will you be with cotchery as #2 and an unknown at #3 if either Brown or Sanders has their leg snapped like a twig the first game of the season.

How would you feel about having a rookie QB lead your team after only the 2nd game of the season? I know it's the exception to the rule, but sometimes things happen that you have no control over. While a rookie WR may not have the same results as Ben it may be worth our time to invest in his playing time now and see where the chips may fall.

LLT
08-08-2012, 07:51 AM
Doesnt matter how any of us "feel" at this point...they are not going to sign a WR and we are better served turning the discussion to "who among these WR's are going to make the team"?

Tyler Beiler, 6-0 190, Bridgewater
Toney Clemons, 6-2 210,Colorado
Paul Cox, 6-5 205, Mississippi Valley State
David Gilreath, WR 5-10 169,Wisconsin
Marquis Maze, 5-8 186,Alabama
Juamorris Stewart, WR 6-2 198,Southern
Derrick Williams, 5-11 197,Penn State
Jimmy Young, 6-0 204,Texas Christian

My guess would be that its either going to be Marquis Maze or Toney Clemons

GBMelBlount
08-08-2012, 08:18 AM
How would you feel about having a rookie QB lead your team after only the 2nd game of the season? I know it's the exception to the rule, but sometimes things happen that you have no control over. While a rookie WR may not have the same results as Ben it may be worth our time to invest in his playing time now and see where the chips may fall.

Did you mean a rookie QB? I didn't follow that exactly.

But I understand the general point of developing from within whenever possible...and the point Fansince76 made about only looking outside IF Wallace did not sign AND Brown or Sanders was injured is well taken. It makes sense.

Cotchery is fine as a #3 imo and we look outside only if absoulutely necessary (such as in the unlikely case of Wallace not signing AND an injury occuring).

steelers_switzerland
08-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I would also say Clemons (if he can avoid the drops) and Maze because he is a good returner. Otherwise, if Clemons drops too many balls and Maze doesn't look as good as we think as a returner in the first preseason games, i would go with Gilreath and Beiler or Williams

suitanim
08-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Here's what the diufference between Cotchery and Burress is:

One is a fucked up head case locker room poison whom we already cut loose once before and is on the downside of his career, and the other is a model citizen who has many, many good years left.

I CANNOT understand how Steelers fans can claim to be Steelers fans and still not understand "The Steeler way". The Steeler way means we dump guys like Buress and Santo. That's why WE win Super Bowl's, and teams like the Jets TALK about winning Super Bowls.

This is dumb. Burress will not be a Steeler again.

zulater
08-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Not taking a side in this, if we bring him in then so be it and if we don't I'm fine with that too, but come on Zu you can do better than this. He argued to keep Plex before we let him go. Just sayin'.

I know that, I only brought that up as counter point to Dawg's bringing up Ben wanting Plaxico back.

zulater
08-08-2012, 09:00 AM
The Steelers 5th wide receiver ( or 4th if Wallace stays out) will be Chris Rainey. Mark it down. They'll use him like the Chargers used to use Tomlinson early in his career.

zulater
08-08-2012, 09:10 AM
All this is a Mute Point as of now.

I do not want that Plax I am.

I do not want him in the slot.

I do not want him to run a hot. (route)

I do not want him as a spare.

I do not want him to run a flare.

I do not want him anywhere.

LLT
08-08-2012, 09:10 AM
The Steelers 5th wide receiver ( or 4th if Wallace stays out) will be Chris Rainey. Mark it down. They'll use him like the Chargers used to use Tomlinson early in his career.

I think he will be used in the slot quite a bit....always have. But I still think there is a chance that Maze or Clemons start the season on the roster.

zulater
08-08-2012, 10:04 AM

Any poets out there want to make a run with this theme? The bar hasn't been set high too high. Someone should be able to improve upon this fairly easily. :chuckle:

86WARD
08-08-2012, 11:42 AM
Bottom line is if they signed Burress now or later, he'd be AT BEST the #3 guy. When Wallace returns, that makes him AT BEST the #4 guy. The #4 guy contributes on special teams, Burress isn't doing that and if he doesn't, you are pretty much wasting a roster spot in a way cause you need someone to take that spot on ST. The only way this would make sense now is if Wallace doesn't return or if Wallace returns and one or more of Young Money gets injured...and the deal would have to be team friendly.

suitanim
08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
Plus if Ben isn't tossing him the ball 10 times a game, he'll be out in the press bellyaching about it, then moping around the locker room bitching and poisoning the other younger players.

THIS GUY IS NOT STEELERS MATERIAL. PERIOD.

I just don't understand why we have these conversations year after year after year when these high profile headcase free agents come up. No, we aren't signing TO, or Randy Moss, or Brandon Marshall, or Michael Vick, or Chad Johnson, or any other of the names that always pop up in these ridiculous speculative debates.

steelreserve
08-08-2012, 12:25 PM
I just don't understand why we have these conversations year after year after year when these high profile headcase free agents come up. No, we aren't signing TO, or Randy Moss, or Brandon Marshall, or Michael Vick, or Chad Johnson, or any other of the names that always pop up in these ridiculous speculative debates.

Yeah we do. We signed Moss and Andre Rison back in the day.

Wait. That was the Raiders. nevermind.

steeldawg
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM

One is a fucked up head case locker room poison whom we already cut loose once before and is on the downside of his career, and the other is a model citizen who has many, many good years left.

I CANNOT understand how Steelers fans can claim to be Steelers fans and still not understand "The Steeler way". The Steeler way means we dump guys like Buress and Santo. That's why WE win Super Bowl's, and teams like the Jets TALK about winning Super Bowls.

Ny giants superbowl champs with plax as the number 1, Santo superbowl champ, it comes down to talent. Cotchery?? No superbowls, Its because being a nice guy doesnt win superbowls talent does. Lets tell our 100 million dollar qb that we will get rid of all of out talented recievers who are headcases and replace them with a bunch of average height average speed model citizens, and lets see how he likes that. i only care about what the guy does on sunday he is not my role model and he is not my friend. If your strongest arguement for cotchery over buress is that cotchery is a model citizen then please gimmie buress because we need tds.

steeldawg
08-08-2012, 12:45 PM

Also I dont care wether we sign him or not my only point was he would be ahead of cotch on the depth chart because hes a bigger weapon and a better reciever.

LLT
08-08-2012, 12:51 PM
Ny giants superbowl champs with plax as the number 1, Santo superbowl champ, it comes down to talent. Cotchery?? No superbowls, Its because being a nice guy doesnt win superbowls talent does.

Barry Sanders= 0 Superbowls
Dan Marino= 0 Superbowls
Anthony Munoz= 0 Superbowls
Tony Gonzalez= 0 Superbowls
Bruce Smith= 0 Superbowls
Randy Moss= 0 Superbowls

Superbowls are won by teams...not by individuals. Individual player talent should NEVER be measured by how many rings you wear.

zulater
08-08-2012, 01:00 PM
Also I dont care wether we sign him or not my only point was he would be ahead of cotch on the depth chart because hes a bigger weapon and a better reciever.

If Burress fit the Steelers needs better than Cotchery the Steelers would have signed him instead of Cotchery this spring. Thus your assertion that he would be ahead of Cotchery on the depth chart is unfounded.

4-5 years ago Burress was a better receiver than Cotchery. But not now. Burress is a very old 38.

Butch
08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
Dan Marino= 0 Superbowls
Randy Moss= 0 Superbowls

Superbowls are won by teams...not by individuals. Individual player talent should NEVER be measured by how many rings you wear.

and all this time I thought it was QB's who won Superbowls. LOL

QUICK Anybody know the only Superbowl MVP from a non-winning team??? I'm sure somebody here will google it.

86WARD
08-08-2012, 02:12 PM
I want to say it was a Cowboy. I won't google it for the integrity of the comment, but I cant remember. Dallas was the only team to have co-MVP as well?

polamalubeast
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM
I want to say it was a Cowboy. I won't google it for the integrity of the comment, but I cant remember. Dallas was the only team to have co-MVP as well?

It was a Cowboys in 1970 against the colts

And yes,Dallas is the only team to have co-SB MVP(1977 vs Denver)

Butch
08-08-2012, 02:25 PM
You are both right it wa a cowboy and to save others the time to google it the name was Chuck Howley. Not only was he the only winner from a losing team, he was a defensive player to boot wich is also a rare feat.

steeldawg
08-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Dan Marino= 0 Superbowls
Randy Moss= 0 Superbowls

I understand this but he said to me we dump players like buress and holmes and thats why we win superbowls, the only problem with that theory is both those guys have won superbowls so how bad of teammates could those guys be? But also teams are made strong by good individual talent, You could have a team of great character guys that doesnt mean your team is going to play football well. There is a reason teams pay big money for talent and not big money for character.

suitanim
08-08-2012, 03:28 PM
The.
Steelers.
Way.

Dim bulbs can sometimes be lit up bright if you keep pumping enough electricity into them.

Usually not, though....

steeldawg
08-08-2012, 03:49 PM
The.
Steelers.
Way.

Dim bulbs can sometimes be lit up bright if you keep pumping enough electricity into them.

Usually not, though....
Its funny how you preach the steeler way and the 2 guys holmes and buress that you used for your example are 2 players the steelers drafted. are you saying these were strong character guys and great team players coming out of college? No of course not they were drafted because they were talented! And the steelers tolerated their antics on and off the field untill it was time to give a big contract then they let them go. So the steelers were not above using their services at the right price just like any other football team wanting to win football games.

zulater
08-08-2012, 05:49 PM
Its funny how you preach the steeler way and the 2 guys holmes and buress that you used for your example are 2 players the steelers drafted. are you saying these were strong character guys and great team players coming out of college? No of course not they were drafted because they were talented! And the steelers tolerated their antics on and off the field untill it was time to give a big contract then they let them go. So the steelers were not above using their services at the right price just like any other football team wanting to win football games.

Here you claim to know the Steelers ways, yet here Burress sits and the Steelers seemingly have no intention of signing him.

Chidi29
08-08-2012, 06:06 PM
I think he will be used in the slot quite a bit....always have. But I still think there is a chance that Maze or Clemons start the season on the roster.

Haley used McCluster in a ton of different ways. He was actually used more as a receiver than a runner. Reverses, swing passes, quick in/out route, anything he could do to get a guy with his speed in space. So I expect to see the same from Rainey.

steeldawg
08-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Here you claim to know the Steelers ways, yet here Burress sits and the Steelers seemingly have no intention of signing him.

I never said they are going to sign burress i just said hes better than cotch, but if the steelers dont want spend the money i understand.

zulater
08-08-2012, 07:46 PM
I never said they are going to sign burress i just said hes better than cotch, but if the steelers dont want spend the money i understand.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But you're wrong, and that's why when both Plax and Cotchery were UFA's the Steelers went with Cotchery. Cotchery will be more productive this season than Burress would have been. That's what the Steelers were thinking when they made resigning him an offseason priority.

GBMelBlount
08-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I honestly think we have thoroughly vetted the pros and cons of Burress to the point of diminishing returns here and there is nothing that hasn't been pointed out at least twice. :lol:

Bottom line is he might be a nice red zone target but is old, a headcase and probably wants too much money for a 3 / 4 / 5 receiver.

However, if we did sign him I would simply hope that people would cheer for him as a Steeler. Simple as that.

Nadroj 20
08-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I said this way back on page 1 but who are some other options out there? It isn't unrealistic to think we could sign a guy.

GBMelBlount
08-08-2012, 07:53 PM
Haley used McCluster in a ton of different ways. He was actually used more as a receiver than a runner. Reverses, swing passes, quick in/out route, anything he could do to get a guy with his speed in space. So I expect to see the same from Rainey.

I am really excited about this possibility.

If the line gels and everyone gets on the same page with the play book, I think the sky is the limit with all of the talent we have.

Count Steeler
08-08-2012, 07:54 PM
Still hoping Maze or Clemons or both impress. If not, could always wait to see who gets waived from some of the other camps.

GBMelBlount
08-08-2012, 07:55 PM
I said this way back on page 1 but who are some other options out there? It isn't unrealistic to think we could sign a guy.

Agreed but I think the general consensus here is possibly look within first.

Bottom line for me though is I will trust the front office on this one.

Nadroj 20
08-08-2012, 08:00 PM
Doesnt matter how any of us "feel" at this point...they are not going to sign a WR and we are better served turning the discussion to "who among these WR's are going to make the team"?

Tyler Beiler, 6-0 190, Bridgewater
Toney Clemons, 6-2 210,Colorado
Paul Cox, 6-5 205, Mississippi Valley State
David Gilreath, WR 5-10 169,Wisconsin
Marquis Maze, 5-8 186,Alabama
Juamorris Stewart, WR 6-2 198,Southern
Derrick Williams, 5-11 197,Penn State
Jimmy Young, 6-0 204,Texas Christian

My guess would be that its either going to be Marquis Maze or Toney Clemons

About to do my homework on all of these guys. I'll throw out my opinion after that.

Steeldude
08-08-2012, 10:15 PM
Ny giants superbowl champs with plax as the number 1, Santo superbowl champ, it comes down to talent. Cotchery?? No superbowls, Its because being a nice guy doesnt win superbowls talent does.

Using that logic would mean anyone who has been on the winning side of a SB is must-have player. Did we win a SB with Burress? Did we win one after his departure?

Here are some problems with Burress...

Burress has poor to average hands.
He runs lazy routes.
He gives up on passes.
He whines too much.
He is not good in the red zone.
He's old.
He wants too much money
He plays small
He has off-the-field problems
He isn't a good role model

Being tall doesn't equate to being talented

Shoes
08-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Put this Burress idea out with the cat.

Psycho Ward 86
08-08-2012, 10:41 PM

lol

Nadroj 20
08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Looks like Burress would play for vet min. and the Steelers still aren't signing him. I think that speaks volumes.

Turns out Plaxico Burress does not “want to much money,’’ as one person on the Steelers told me last week, but merely the veteran minimum – which includes a possible salary cap benefit to the Steelers with it. The Steelers could sign Burress to a one-year, $925,000 contract, the minimum for a veteran of his stature, and include him under the “minimum veteran benefit” exclusion where he would count only $540,000 under their cap.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117551-ed-risk-vs-reward-of-plaxico-burress

GBMelBlount
08-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Let's hope Wallace signs soon and some rookies step up.

Vet min and $540,000 against the cap is pretty cheap insurance IF we became desperate but admittedly I do worry that some heads might asplode around here if he was signed him. :lol:

steeldawg
08-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Looks like Burress would play for vet min. and the Steelers still aren't signing him. I think that speaks volumes.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117551-ed-risk-vs-reward-of-plaxico-burress

Wow so what your saying is the steelers offered him a contract last season and are again looking at him this season. Wow after hearing so much about the steelers way and how hes not steelers material and we would never sign him , im shocked :sarcasm:. Are quarterback lobbied for him and he attends our coaches camp and has a great relationship with him, omg he must be a terrible teammate and headcase :sarcasm:. Please guys tell me again how i dont understand the steelers way ?

86WARD
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
If they were going to sign him at the vet minimum, I wouldn't have a problem with it especially if they did it after week one...

Nadroj 20
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Wow so what your saying is the steelers offered him a contract last season and are again looking at him this season. Wow after hearing so much about the steelers way and how hes not steelers material and we would never sign him , im shocked :sarcasm:. Are quarterback lobbied for him and he attends our coaches camp and has a great relationship with him, omg he must be a terrible teammate and headcase :sarcasm:. Please guys tell me again how i dont understand the steelers way ?

Umm no. The steelers haven't offered a contract this season at VET MINIMUM. Not yet anyway. So what I'm saying is the Steelers must really not want this guy if they won't even bring him in for very cheap.

Unless of course they do in the future but that probably wouldn't be until after week 3 of the preseason and Mikey still not present.

steeldawg
08-09-2012, 03:44 PM
Umm no. The steelers haven't offered a contract this season at VET MINIMUM. Not yet anyway. So what I'm saying is the Steelers must really not want this guy if they won't even bring him in for very cheap.

Unless of course they do in the future but that probably wouldn't be until after week 3 of the preseason and Mikey still not present.

Not my point I was told it was not the steelers way to sign guys like burress and that he was a terrible teammate, but the evidence shows this is not the case being they offered him a contract last season.

Nadroj 20
08-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Not my point I was told it was not the steelers way to sign guys like burress and that he was a terrible teammate, but the evidence shows this is not the case being they offered him a contract last season.

My post had nothing to do with last season. It was about the fact they hadn't signed him this season for vet minimum. So I'm not sure why you were responding to my post saying things like "so what you're saying is...."

steeldawg
08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
My post had nothing to do with last season. It was about the fact they hadn't signed him this season for vet minimum. So I'm not sure why you were responding to my post saying things like "so what you're saying is...."
No sorry it wasnt diercted at you I should have just quoted the link but i was being lazy.....The people it was directed at know who they are.

suitanim
08-09-2012, 04:04 PM
If the Steelers offer Plexifuckingpunkassspike a contract I may give up the NFL a few years early.

I'm shocked to hear that they may have last year. It's..........not fitting. Art Rooney would roll over in his grave.

SteelGhost
08-09-2012, 08:15 PM
Don't worry folks, looks like Jerrah Jones wants Plax, so he could play for the Cryboys :puke:

Source: Dallas, Plaxico Burress talk

Updated: August 9, 2012, 8:55 PM ET
By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- The Dallas Cowboys have held preliminary discussions with Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for Plaxico Burress, about signing the free-agent wide receiver, according to a source.

The Cowboys have young and inexperienced receivers fighting for the No. 3 position on the team, and are thinking of adding a veteran if no one emerges.

read more :

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/8253420/source-dallas-cowboys-talks-free-agent-receiver-plaxico-burress

GBMelBlount
08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Well....at least we had more field goals than the Eagles....

zulater
08-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Source: Plaxico Burress visiting Pats

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8261832/new-england-patriots-work-plaxico-burress-sunday-source-says

The next OchoCinco? :lol:

Anyway, I hope he signs there, so we can end any speculation of him coming back to Pgh once and for all.

GBMelBlount
08-12-2012, 11:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8261832/new-england-patriots-work-plaxico-burress-sunday-source-says

Anyway, I hope he signs there, so we can end any speculation of him coming back to Pgh once and for all.

lol.

We already have arguably the best trio of receivers in the league.

So unless something blows up with Wallace or we have a rash of injuries we will be fine.

tube517
08-13-2012, 02:27 PM

I hope he signs there and follows the lead of Chad and fat Albert

Sent from my ICS Thrive

GoSlash27
08-13-2012, 04:23 PM
Plaxico is more headaches than he's worth.

steeldawg
08-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Plaxico is more headaches than he's worth.

How??

Shoes
08-13-2012, 06:47 PM
No way the cheats sign this plague.....

GoSlash27
08-13-2012, 07:31 PM
How??

I'm sure you remember what he was like when he was on the team. Constant lapses of focus and judgement, drew too many penalties, causing a ruckus in the locker room, and thought that his jersey gave him the right to smoke weed. I was glad to be rid of him.

suitanim
08-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Miami would be a good fit. They run a quasi-penal colony down there...