PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: Steelers need Wallace

SteelerEmpire
08-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Highly logical perspective and I totally agree.

-----------------------------

Published: Sunday, August 5, 2012, 12:01 a.m.
Updated: Sunday, August 5, 2012

You can call Mike Wallace delusional, selfish, greedy and flat-out wrong.

LINK: http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2321087-85/wallace-steelers-million-starkey-fitzgerald-game-leverage-mike-nfl-receiver

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Wallace needs the Steelers.

Edman
08-06-2012, 07:41 PM
Sorry Starkey, Wallace is being delusional, greedy, dumb, and selfish. Wallace needs the Steelers. No one player is above the organization/team, it's just how it is.

polamalubeast
08-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Right now,I don't care of Wallace

SCSTILLER
08-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry Wallace, the Steelers don't need you! When you are losing games in KC, Ariz, Miami, etc. next year because you got greedy remember your decisions.

steeldawg
08-06-2012, 09:01 PM
starkey is absolutely right here, why ddoes wallace need the steelers hes going to get a contract from someone. Can you really blame wallace for not wanting to risk the rest of his career for a 2.74 million dollar contract when hes on the verge of a big payday? The steelers mught not need wallace to put a team on the field but i think they certainly need him to win a superbowl. Also guys like antonio brown and emmanuel sanders need mike wallace, he opens up the field for them to work and get open.

Nadroj 20
08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
Yeah I'm definitely not going to sit here and suggest that the Steelers won't miss Wallace. I'm fine with their decision making they have given the ultimatum and it's up to Mike now but we are clearly a more dangerous offensive team if Wallace is on the field. I really hope he shows up to camp and we get a deal done.

Psycho Ward 86
08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
he does make a good point about vincent jackson though. damn him lol!

Devilsdancefloor
08-06-2012, 09:51 PM
at this point the bridges are burning bright. The streelers do not need him to win the super bowl hel he was confused on the 4th and 5 in the super bowl. i really think brown and sanders are better route runners anyway.

SteelGhost
08-06-2012, 09:57 PM
Let's say The Steelers need Wallace to win a SB ... easier :chuckle: and Wallace need the Steelers to get a big payday somewhere else in 2013 :noidea:

mortgageman
08-06-2012, 10:23 PM
The easy answer is that we need each other. I'm starting to believe he really will not report. That would leave us with only 3 good receivers. This is why this is a huge problem. We either have to come to an agreement or move on and find another WR. There are a couple of decent options out there. I think Plaxico would fit us well as we havent had a great redzone threat in a while. Granted we wont have blazing speed with wallace, but the deep ball has never ben ben's strength anyway. We just need to either suck it up and sign him or move on without him.

GBMelBlount
08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
Is Wallace a tremendous asset to the Steelers? Absolutely.

Do the Steelers need Wallace to win the Superbowl. No.

If signing becomes unlikely I agree we should get another receiver in there.

BuzzBomb
08-07-2012, 04:22 AM
starkey is absolutely right here, why ddoes wallace need the steelers hes going to get a contract from someone. Can you really blame wallace for not wanting to risk the rest of his career for a 2.74 million dollar contract when hes on the verge of a big payday? The steelers mught not need wallace to put a team on the field but i think they certainly need him to win a superbowl. Also guys like antonio brown and emmanuel sanders need mike wallace, he opens up the field for them to work and get open.

I have to disagree here. A 2.74 million dollar contract is not what is at stake. With the word being he was offered as much as 50 million for 5 years; this is what he is risking.

If worst case he does decide to sit the first 10 weeks, he'll most likely have to go through a negotiation with another team next year. Granted there is a chance some foolish GM/Owner may overpay for him but I don't see it being for a contract of any length. Using Vincent Jackson as a comparison is a bit disingenuous due to the simple fact that SD stuck it out with him for another year and he proved himself. I don't see the Steelers hanging on to a guy who's willing to sit for the majority of the season.

If we do end up dumping him after this season, history of him returning to being considered a highly regarded WR is against him. It is not very often we get rid of a headcase WR and they live up to their potential....and he is quickly approaching that label of headcase.

By the way, he's the one that started the "Young Money" moniker so I hope Steeler Nation lays that stupid nickname to rest!

Nadroj 20
08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
I'm not sure if I agree with him being a headcase. Mike has been a great guy for this team and hasn't caused any problems. This is a business situation and as much as I hate it, it happens. I am irratated at the fact the ball is in his court and he is the one who needs to report to camp. In my opinion that is just a young guy being ignorant to how the Pittsburgh Steelers runs things.

I think he will eventually come into camp, sign his tender, and then begin new negotiations.

PLEASE GET TO CAMP MIKE!

BuzzBomb
08-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah, maybe throwing the "headcase" name out there is a little too soon on my part. I don't think he is at this point but if we are sitting at week 9 with no Wallace, I will seriously have to rethink that stance.

Kaeg
08-07-2012, 04:15 PM
I gotta stop buying Steeler jerseys. Guess which one I bought last year. Every time I do, that person either retires, gets cut, or becomes a dick. Right now I'm thinking he is option number 3 and I hope I'm wrong. I would like to be able to put that jersey back on with pride.

ALLD
08-07-2012, 04:21 PM
If another team wanted Wallace they could have given up a first round pick and negotiated with him during the off-season. There is no conspiracy to keep from offering him lots of cash. Teams are simply hedging because his body of work is incomplete relative to his demands. Wallace can still be tagged next season. Is he willing to sit out two seasons? I doubt it. The money he thinks is coming will most likely never be recovered should he not play a full season this year.

Wallace should try to be the best WR on the field, then the money will come- instead of trying to promote himself as the best WR in the league without complete track record.

I have heard Wallace speak during interviews. Let's just say Antonio Brown is .01 slower than Wallace in a straight line, but outclasses him in every respect in every other category. Wallace is dumb if he is not in camp this week.

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Too bad Al Davis isn't still alive. He would have given 3 First Round pics for Mike Wallace.

https://twitter.com/corpboy_tellem/status/232959178526818304

JayC
08-07-2012, 05:12 PM
I gotta stop buying Steeler jerseys. Guess which one I bought last year. Every time I do, that person either retires, gets cut, or becomes a dick. Right now I'm thinking he is option number 3 and I hope I'm wrong. I would like to be able to put that jersey back on with pride.

you have a sweed jersey?

Kaeg
08-07-2012, 05:17 PM
you have a sweed jersey?

LOL. No, I never got that one! Although I was one of the people who had faith in him. :doh2:

steelreserve
08-07-2012, 05:18 PM

Yes, I can. Because if he doesn't sign the fucking RFA offer and play for $2.74M, he doesn't get a big payday. He stays an RFA and goes through the same thing next year. And screws up his future earning potential because he will now be the only player in the history of the league to sit out an entire season over money.

It's all so stupid to begin with too, because it's pretty well been established that if you want the big contract, the way to get it is to sign the RFA deal and show up, and then yes, we start working on it. He proved his point already, and while the NFL is a business, there is no business sense either in holding out any longer. The only team that he can get more than $2.74M from this year is the Steelers - a point he and his agent apparently don't understand - and all he can do is make him look like a selfish crybaby.

So yes, I'll call Wallace delusional, selfish, greedy and flat-out wrong.

If I were the Steelers, I'd also be threatening to quit negotiating with any other player who uses his agent.

polamalubeast
08-07-2012, 07:45 PM
Citing team sources, Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that the Steelers will not trade unsigned holdout wide receiver Mike Wallace “at any point this season.”

Dulac’s report also notes that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is “no longer supportive” of Wallace as he angles for a long-term deal. Pittsburgh wound up giving a contract it originally proposed to Wallace — or at least most of it — to fellow receiver Antonio Brown.

Per Dulac, the Steelers are willing to wait “several weeks” to see if Wallace caves. The organization does not anticipate Wallace reporting before it departs from St. Vincent College on August 18, and the Steelers appear to be just fine with that.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/07/report-steelers-wont-trade-mike-wallace-at-any-point/