PDA

View Full Version : Long shot from SMU not ordinary lineman

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 07:27 AM
Steelers rookie Kelvin Beachum has two degrees from Southern Methodist. He delivered a commencement address to his graduate school class, served on the athletics subcommittee of the Board of Trustees and was president of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, and belonged to other organizations.

Many are impressed with Beachum’s resume. He, at least for now, is not.

“Nobody cares,” he said. “I’m ready to stop talking about it. I’m ready to play football.”

Beachum will talk about it, if asked, because he is good-natured and polite. He says “sir” a lot. But he mainly is intense and focused, and his sole concern right now is making the Steelers as a guard or tackle or both, or any other place they can use him. As a seventh-round draft pick, he faces long odds. The Steelers also spent their first two picks on offensive linemen.

“It doesn’t matter,” Beachum said. “I’m here.”...............

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2305811-85/beachum-steelers-kelvin-college-smu-football-former-guard-mexia-tackle

GBMelBlount
08-05-2012, 08:08 AM
“Here” is training camp at St. Vincent College. Among Beachum’s new and varied experiences was a useful lunchtime chat with defensive end Brett Keisel , a former seventh-round pick who began his Steelers’ career in 2002.

“That sort of brought perspective to the whole thing,” Beachum said. “He asked where I was drafted, and I said 248 (overall). He said he was 242. He’s like, ‘It doesn’t matter how you get here. If you get here, do something special. Show the coaches something special every day.’ That’s something I’m trying to do, and hopefully I can be here as long as he has.”

Keisel is a great story. I hope Bleachum is too...

If there is one late round gem I am rooting for it is without a doubt Bleachum...

Quality guy, top to bottom.

Devilsdancefloor
08-05-2012, 10:10 AM
He sounds like a wonderful person, bu those guys usually are nasty on the field ! i hope he makes it, but i think he might be a PS guy this year

GBMelBlount
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
He sounds like a wonderful person, bu those guys usually are nasty on the field ! i hope he makes it, but i think he might be a PS guy this year

This is what I am hoping for as well.

Smart, athletic, hard working, great character....sounds like he is the type who can continue to improve each year and perhaps be a good contributor long term.