PDA

View Full Version : Injuries allow rookies to get more reps

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 07:23 AM
The goal line drill is always one of the most popular at training camp, and coach Mike Tomlin unveiled it for the first time Saturday on one of the hottest days of camp so far. And two rookie linemen were a big part of it.

With left guard Willie Colon (ankle) sitting out, the No. 1 offensive line most of the day was rookie Mike Adams at left tackle, Ramon Foster at left guard, Maurkice Pouncey at center, rookie David DeCastro at right guard and Marcus Gilbert at right tackle. Adams has moved ahead of Trai Essex, although Max Starks (knee) could push for the starting job once he is healthy.

“He’s earned those snaps, and we’ll continue to do that,” Tomlin said of Adams, the second-round draft pick from Ohio State. “But he’s far from ready.”...............

read more @
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2313136-85/tackle-season-ankle-gilbert-tomlin-adams-mendenhall-mike-rookie-steelers

GBMelBlount
08-05-2012, 07:52 AM
The goal line drill is always one of the most popular at training camp, and coach Mike Tomlin unveiled it for the first time Saturday on one of the hottest days of camp so far. And two rookie linemen were a big part of it.

With left guard Willie Colon (ankle) sitting out, the No. 1 offensive line most of the day was rookie Mike Adams at left tackle, Ramon Foster at left guard, Maurkice Pouncey at center, rookie David DeCastro at right guard and Marcus Gilbert at right tackle. Adams has moved ahead of Trai Essex, although Max Starks (knee) could push for the starting job once he is healthy.

“He’s earned those snaps, and we’ll continue to do that,” Tomlin said of Adams, the second-round draft pick from Ohio State. “But he’s far from ready.”...............

read more @
http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2313136-85/tackle-season-ankle-gilbert-tomlin-adams-mendenhall-mike-rookie-steelers

It sounds as though Adams IS the presumptive starter at left tackle.

I am glad to hear that Tomlin is pleased with his early development but I am SURE he has a long way to go to be ready for the first snap of the season.

Plus you cannot count Starks out.