PDA

View Full Version : Costanzo leads crop of athletic O-linemen entering 2011 draft

LLT
07-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Costanzo leads crop of athletic O-linemen entering 2011 draft
Gil Brandt NFL.com
July 16, 2010

Offensive linemen keep getting bigger, faster and stronger and 2010 will be no exception. Of the 51 offensive linemen at the 2010 NFL Combine, none weighed less than 300 pounds and none measured under 6-foot-2.

For years, everyone heard or read about how important it is to have an outstanding offensive line. To be successful and to have that, you need above average tackles. In the 2008 draft, seven tackles were selected in the first round. All seven started at some time during the 2008 season. Dolphins OT Jake Long (First overall pick) was named to the Pro Bowl following the 2008 season, his first in the NFL.

Note: This list only includes players who will have exhausted their eligibility after the 2010 season. BYU OT Matt Reynolds (missed two seasons will on LDS mission) is an outstanding player, but has two years remaining. For that reason, he is not included on this list even though he would likely be a top prospect if he chose to enter the 2011 draft. The same can be said of Virginia Tech tackle Blake DeChristopher.

Here are the top 18 senior offensive linemen prospects NFL scouts will be keeping a close eye on this fall.

Top offensive linemen

1. Anthony Costanzo, OT
College: Boston College
Height/Weight: 6-foot-7, 300

Costanzo has played and started since his true freshman year in 2007. He played right tackle in 2007 and left tackle the past two years, totaling 41 starts in that time. He was All-ACC in 2009, and is also a very smart (he's a biochemistry major) athlete with quick feet and long arms. He should be a top-10 pick in the 2011 draft.

2. Nathan Solder, OT
College: Colorado
Height/Weight: 6-8, 305

Solder is a fifth-year player who started four games at tight end in 2007. He will be starting his third year at left tackle. Solder has gained over 60 pounds since coming to Colorado and he can run the 40-yard dash in under 4.9 seconds. Solder has the long arms and great footwork necessary to play the tackle position well. He needs to develop more strength, which will come. He should play for a long time in the pros, and at a high level.

3. Stefan Wisniewski, G
College: Penn State
Height/Weight: 6-3, 295

Wisniewski was the first true freshman to start at right guard since 1999 for the Nittany Lions. He started 12 games at guard in 2008 and played center in 2009, earning first team all Big-Ten honors. Wisniewski comes from a long line of professionall football players. His father, Leo, was a second-round draft choice of the Baltimore Colts and his uncle, Steve, was drafted by the Cowboys and traded to the Raiders, where he played for 13 years. Wisniewski's strength and quickness should help him to play well for many years in the NFL.

4. Derek Sherrod, OT
College: Mississippi State
Height/Weight: 6-5 1/8, 305

Sherrod played as a true freshman at right tackle in 2007 and started at left tackle the past two years. He has good athletic ability and size. Sherrod was highly recruited out of high school and will be a good NFL player.

5. Clint Boling, OT
College: Georgia
Height/Weight: 6-4 1/2, 306

The 21-year-old Boling played as a true freshman, starting 11 games in 2007, 12 in 2008 and 13 in 2009. Boling has played guard, right tackle and six games at left tackle in 2009. He will play left tackle this season. Boling is a good athlete, who played tight end at one point in high school. He runs well and is a smart, young player.

6. Marcus Cannon, OT
College: TCU
Height/Weight: 6-5 1/2, 360

Cannon is a fifth-year player who started for the first time in 2008. He has played right tackle the past two years, starting 24 games, and will move to left tackle this fall. Cannon is well coached by TCU Assistant Head Coach/Offensive Line Eddie Williamson. Cannon has long arms and moves well for his size. Scouts will need to watch if he is quick enough to play left tackle or if he is better suited as a guard in the NFL.

7. Jason Pinkston, OT
College: Pittsburgh
Height/Weight: 6-3 1/2, 310

Pinkston is a fifth-year player who played some as a true freshman in 2006 when he came into games as a short-yardage runner. He was a medical redshirt in 2007 and has started at left tackle the past two years. A first team Big East selection in 2009, Pinkston has very good athletic ability and good feet. He can play left tackle in the NFL. His cousin, Todd Pinkston, played six years in the NFL as a wide receiver.

8. Gabe Carimi
College: Wisconsin
Height/Weight: 6-7, 315

A second team all Big Ten selection in 2009, Carimi is a fifth-year player who has started at left tackle for the last three years. He is a giant of a man with long arms. Carimi may have trouble with speed rushers making him a better fit at right tackle in the NFL, but he is a solid player nevertheless.

9. Lee Ziemba, OT
College: Auburn
Height/Weight: 6-5 5/8, 322

Ziemba is a fourth-year player, who has started 38 consecutive games. He was named Player of the Year in Arkansas in 2006. Ziemba is a young player with size and speed, but he needs to develop more strength. He was named second team all SEC in 2009.

10. Rodney Hudson, G
College: Florida State
Height/Weight: 6-2 1/2, 280

A four-year player who started 10 games in 2007, Hudson gave up a sack in his first game as a starter, then went 16 consecutive games without giving up a sack. He plays guard at Florida State, but I'm not sure center wouldn't be his best position in the NFL. Hudson's potential is limited by his small frame, but he is a very good athlete.

11. Marcus Gilbert, G/OT
College: Florida
Height/Weight: 6-6 1/8, 315

He has started 17 games for the Gators in his first four seasons. Gilbert has played both guard and right tackle. He's a good athlete, but needs to get stronger. He is best suited to play right tackle. I don't think he can be a left tackle at the next level.

12. Chris Hairston, OT
College: Clemson
Height/Weight: 6-6 5/8, 323

Hairston is a fifth-year player that has started the past two years at left tackle, but he can play guard as well. He is a young player who came to Clemson at age 17 and went on to earn second team all ACC honors last year. Hairston has a lot of upside. He needs to get stronger, and he will.

13. Orlando Franklin, G
College: Miami (Fla)
Height/Weight: 6-6, 315

Franklin lived in Jamaica and Canada before moving to Florida his junior year of high school. To see what type of player he is, watch his performance against Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy last year. Franklin played and started three games as a true freshman and has started the past two seasons. He is a very fast and athletic guy who has played some tight end. He has a lot of upside, but needs to get stronger

14. Mike Pouncey
College: Florida
Height/Weight: 6-5 3/8, 311

Pouncey played as a true freshman, starting four games as a defensive lineman. He has started the past two seasons at guard and was named to first team all SEC in 2009. His twin borther Maurkice was drafted in the first round by the Steelers this past April.

15. DeMarcus Love
College: Arkansas
Height/Weight: 6-4 1/2, 315

Love is a fifth-year player who has started 24 games for Arkansas at both guard and right tackle. Though he will play right tackle this fall, Love might be better suited to play guard. He has a lot of upside, but he needs to get stronger.

16. Danny Watkins
College: Baylor
Height/Weight: 6-3 1/2, 310

An older player (he turns 25 this fall), Watkins did not play football until junior college, where started at left tackle in 2007 and 2008. He started 12 games at left tackle for Baylor in 2009. A native of Canada, Watkins is a good player, considering his lack of experience. He will likely be drafted very late. His best position may be at guard.

17. Kyle Hix
College: Texas
Height/Weight: 6-6 1/2, 320

Hix started one game as a true freshman in 2007 and has since started 28 games at right tackle. He is a good, not great, athlete. He's a tough, hard working player who can only play right tackle.

Here are four small-school guys worth keeping an eye: Missouri State's David Arkin (6-4 1/2, 300 pounds), Villanova's Ben Ijalana (6-3 1/2, 320), Arkansas State's Derrick Newton (6-6, 305) and Lehigh's William Rackley (6-3 1/2, 306).

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81928d97/article/costanzo-leads-crop-of-athletic-olinemen-entering-2011-draft

Aussie_steeler
07-25-2010, 03:56 PM
What I find surprising at this stage of the season is that many of the sites that go out on a limb with very early mock drafts, almost all have no OT's slotted anywhere in the top 10 - 15 picks.

I find it hard to believe that there is not at least one OT that is top 10 worthy. Knowing how much teams value OT's I am sure over the season we are going to see a couple of men distance themselves from the boys.

Considering the quality of the current steeler O line roster I am sure that this set of positions is going to get a lot of draft scrutiny.

Thanks for the list LLT

ALLD
07-25-2010, 04:37 PM
I heard of a George Costanza who was assistant to the traveling secretary for the New York Yankees. Do you think there is any relationship?

Aussie_steeler
07-26-2010, 04:14 AM
You might like this one LLT - the preseason grades for this years crop of senior OT's. Carimi is down a bit more than I would have expected.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?paged=7

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Castonzo.jpg (http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?attachment_id=2453)The offensive tackle position, specifically tackles who can pass protect on the blind side, is a priority area come draft time. Thus pre-season grades for players at this position are highly anticipated and this year offers a lot of surprises.

Tackles
1) Anthony Castonzo/Boston College: Castonzo leads the position with a grade of 6.5. We would not rank him this high but we are of the opinion Costonzo is a good player now and offers a tremendous amount of upside potential. Late 1st/2nd Round
2) DeMarcus Love/Arkansas: Love is a terrific athlete but barely better than average as a tackle. His grade of 6.3 puts him above a number of talented players we rank higher than Love. 2nd/3rd Round
3) Derek Sherrod/Mississippi State: Sherrod is a well built left tackle who blocks with solid fundamentals. He’s not the greatest athlete and his strength at the point is below average. 2nd/3rd Round
4) Nate Solder/Colorado: This is the first surprise. Solder’s verified computer numbers (6080/302lb/4.9) are outstanding. He’s also been a terrific tackle at CU the past two years. We feel he deserved a higher grade than 6.0. 2nd/3rd Round
5) Marcus Gilbert/Florida: After initially seeing this grade (6.0) we were scratching our heads yet after watching extensive film on Gilbert we now understand. He’s a terrific combination of size, strength and athleticism. The Gators right tackle looks like he has the underlying skills to hold down the left tackle spot in the NFL. 2nd/3rd Round
6) Orlando Franklin/Miami-Fl: Franklin spent most of his junior season at guard but has the size and build to play tackle. 3rd/4th Round
7) Jason Pinkston/Pittsburgh: Pinkston is one of our favorite left tackles in the nation yet his verified height of 6034 will knock him off the tackle boards for a number of teams. 3rd/4th Round
8- Christian Hairston/Clemson: We were surprised Hairston received such a high grade (5.7) as he does not always play to it on the field. To his credit Hairston scored really well in the pre-season wonderlic, matching Anthony Castonzo for the highest score of all the draftable tackles. 3rd/4th Round
9) Gabe Carimi/Wisconsin: Shocking to say the least. In many ways Carimi’s pass blocking skills remind us of the play of former Badger Joe Thomas. His grade of 5.7 was equal to the grade Russell Okung received one year ago. 3rd/4th Round

Rest of story at http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?paged=7

The Duke
07-27-2010, 09:45 PM
Carimi is down a bit more than I would have expected

Definitely

I honestly have him as the #1 Tackle....

Texasteel
07-30-2010, 03:08 PM
Right now I believe Carimi, Solder, Castonzo, and maybe Love will be gone before we pick. Pinkston, Ziemba, and Hairston could be three to watch though. Also you may want to keep an eye on a kid Gonzo brought up a while back, Nate Potter of Boise St.

LLT
08-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Nice info Aussie...I think the DE class this next year is very strong...but the OT class is also very deep and talented into the 2nd-4th rounds.

Aussie_steeler
08-16-2010, 05:04 AM
Another nice read on Costanzo

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/ncf/columns/story?id=5464114

my favorite quote

Castonzo was mostly mad at himself after giving up his only sack last season.
"I'd hang my hat on it more if it had been zero," Castonzo said. "I'm upset with myself if I don't give up zero sacks. My top goal is that nobody touches my quarterback from the left side."

Texasteel
08-16-2010, 07:42 AM
I know it is still early, but after watching the replay of the game I just want to say.

I want a GD OT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SteelMember
08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
Not that we need one anymore, but is C - O'Dowd falling from grace?

I thought he was "up there" for the past couple years. Now, he's not even in a top 20. :noidea:

Texasteel
09-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Got to watch two of the OTs I've been talking about. Pinkston I've been pushing for a while now and I thought he did a good job. I think he could play LT for us in a year. Cannon is a huge man and has moved to LT this year. Still need to watch him for a while. Still think he may end up at G, RT at best.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
Recorded the Arkansas game last night and gotta say that Love looks like more of a project at OT. Good feet, but not great hand placement .....he blocks with his shoulders more than using his hands and arms. He has nice feet, but doesnt play with great balance and almost looks a bit high and prone to bending at the waist. Never saw a nice "double tap" kick slide and punch the whole game.

Would be interesting to see him in Mobile and the combine, but kind of reminding me of O'Neil Cousins with lighter feet. But, what do I know....I liked Urbik too.

oneforthetoe
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
ALLD
I heard of a George Costanza who was assistant to the traveling secretary for the New York Yankees. Do you think there is any relationship?

I think it could be the same person. Also, apparently he has charterer issues.

http://bios.weddingbee.com/pics/18/george-costanza.jpg

Otherwise, I am leaning towards a Guard. Fix the middle of the line and work out.

What is the poop on Stefan Wisniewski, G? I'm not one to "man crush" on a player simply because he played at a local college. However,Wisniewski, seems like a high football IQ guy and we have been sorely missing that on our o'line.

Chidi29
01-05-2011, 08:53 PM
ALLD

Otherwise, I am leaning towards a Guard. Fix the middle of the line and work out.

What is the poop on Stefan Wisniewski, G? I'm not one to "man crush" on a player simply because he played at a local college. However,Wisniewski, seems like a high football IQ guy and we have been sorely missing that on our o'line.

One of the most technically sound guys in the draft. A "safe" pick although I've grown sour on using that term.

To me though, I don't know if I see anything dominant in his game and don't think he has the upside that a first rounder should.

Chidi29
01-05-2011, 08:54 PM
Recorded the Arkansas game last night and gotta say that Love looks like more of a project at OT. Good feet, but not great hand placement .....he blocks with his shoulders more than using his hands and arms. He has nice feet, but doesnt play with great balance and almost looks a bit high and prone to bending at the waist. Never saw a nice "double tap" kick slide and punch the whole game.

Would be interesting to see him in Mobile and the combine, but kind of reminding me of O'Neil Cousins with lighter feet. But, what do I know....I liked Urbik too.

I only caught some of the game and have to go back and rewatch it, but he had a violent kickslide. I'm afraid he's going to get beat to the inside because he wants to get the edge so quickly. I think that happened once. No punch like you said and the end just threw his hands away and got clean to the inside.

Reminds me of Charles Brown from last year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-05-2011, 11:10 PM
I only caught some of the game and have to go back and rewatch it, but he had a violent kickslide. I'm afraid he's going to get beat to the inside because he wants to get the edge so quickly. I think that happened once. No punch like you said and the end just threw his hands away and got clean to the inside.

Reminds me of Charles Brown from last year.

Yeah, violent kickslide isnt what you wanna see. A nice double kick of the outside leg while keeping a stable base allows the OT to stay balanced and drive that DE inside when he tries to counter. I saw Marcus McNeil give a textbook demonstration once at pro bowl week. I think Love may push inside to guard in the NFL.

I still want to see an OT if possible in the 1st round, and agree with you that not really an OG that is screaming 1st round value to me right now. I think a good OG can be found in the 3rd or 4th round.

Aussie_steeler
01-06-2011, 02:16 AM

I was interested in the fact that Arkansas does not have a designated LT or RT. I will have to watch the tape again but they have a strong side and a weak side ( I think) depending on which way they want to run a play. The only bonus is that LOVE has experience at both sides.

In the first quarter he overcommitted to the outside (left) and Cameron Heyward easily got inside him and to Mallet. ( havent watched the whole game yet)

Texasteel
01-06-2011, 08:16 AM
I'm not going to get caught up in the 1st round OT this year. I always hope one will be there, and they never are. I think I am going to watch for Watkins in the 2nd, and hope he is there, and that is beginning to look iffy. I also think that Franklin, Pounecey, Ijalana, and Cannon. are early to mid second round picks. ( Still think Pounecey may move back into the late 1st.) I am still leaning toward Rackley in the 4th.

El-Gonzo Jackson
01-08-2011, 12:20 PM
Aussie, your guy Pinkston may be around in the 2nd and looks pretty good. Will have to see what the combine does to his stock, because I think he is big enough, but probably lacks the eye popping measureables in arm length, height etc to push him up to the top of the board.

I watched Barksdale, Love and Pinkston in the past week and gotta say I like Pinkston the best right now for being the most polished. Barksdale has great athleticism, but poor technique (I think Kugler can make a good pro out of him) and Love isnt as athletic, but also needs work learning how to use his hands.

I think a future LT can be had in the 2nd or 3rd round this year.

Texasteel
01-11-2011, 03:45 PM
I agree that Love needs time. He has quick feet, but not good foot work. He needs to work on his strength, and right how is not a great ( good ) run blocker. He does look to have what is needed to be a LT, but probably not next year. I do still like Pinkston, and think he has been over looked by a lot of people. I think Pinkston would play on the left side and probably quicker than a lot people think.