PDA

View Full Version : Roethsliberger sprains his ankle, waits for Haley to blow his top

polamalubeast
08-04-2012, 10:03 PM
We’d hate to see how many injuries Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger would have if he weren’t wearing a red jersey in practice.

Already suffering (so he claims) from a partially torn rotator cuff in his shoulder, Roethlisberger sprained his left ankle at practice on Saturday after being stepped on by a defensive lineman, according to USAToday.com.

It’s the same ankle he injured during the 2011 season against the Browns.

Roethlisberger limped off the field. He later had it wrapped in an icepack.

The quarterback also addressed his relationship with offensive coordinator Todd Haley, which has yet to turn frosty.

“We’re just kind of waiting for it,” Roethlisberger said regarding a potential explosion from the former Chiefs head coach and Cardinals offensive coordinator. “Todd’s the only guy to ever make Kurt Warner cuss.”

Roethlisberger and Haley seem to be working well together, so far.

“I think our relationship is growing and I can see where Todd’s vision of us is headed,” Roethlisberger said. “It’s all about winning. You have to put aside egos and put aside wanting to run the ball, wanting to throw the ball to just win and that’s what we both want to do.”

As long as the Steelers win, there won’t be any trouble between Roethlisberger and Haley. If they don’t, that’s when things could get ugly.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/04/roethsliberger-sprains-his-ankle-waits-for-haley-to-blow-his-top/

vader29
08-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Cbs sports says it's injured but not serious, Tomlin says he's fine, pro football talk calls it a sprain, tomorrow morning espn will probably report it as being broken. :rolleyes:

tube517
08-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Cbs sports says it's injured but not serious, Tomlin says he's fine, pro football talk calls it a sprain, tomorrow morning espn will probably report it as being broken. :rolleyes:

NFL Network will say it needs season ending surgery. Ed Douchette will report that Haley stepped on it. :chuckle:

Shoes
08-04-2012, 10:56 PM
More trash.

fansince'76
08-04-2012, 10:59 PM
NFL Network will say it needs season ending surgery.

More like it's gone gangrene and needs to be amputated. :rolleyes:

Buckinnuts
08-05-2012, 07:50 AM
and Harrison got fined for it

SMR
08-05-2012, 08:44 AM
Maybe it's just me but I am losing more and more respect for Ben. The statement about Haley blowing his top and being being the only guy to make Warner cuss is unwarranted. Ben talking about also hearing bad things about Haley a few months back, having a "rotator cuff injury" (however minor), and now this! Doesn't he care that he is adding unnecessary fuel to the fire for the media to use, or does he simply suck big time when it comes to the media? He's been doing this from time to time. Come on Ben, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Better to keep his big mouth shut if he has nothing helpful to say!!

Just my two cents.

Shoes
08-05-2012, 10:03 AM
Maybe it's just me but I am losing more and more respect for Ben. The statement about Haley blowing his top and being being the only guy to make Warner cuss is unwarranted. Ben talking about also hearing bad things about Haley a few months back, having a "rotator cuff injury" (however minor), and now this! Doesn't he care that he is adding unnecessary fuel to the fire for the media to use, or does he simply suck big time when it comes to the media? He's been doing this from time to time. Come on Ben, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH. Better to keep his big mouth shut if he has nothing helpful to say!!

Just my two cents.

I agree SMR...he needs to hang with AB.

Moose
08-05-2012, 12:15 PM
I really don't think Haley will 'blow his top'. I think he has more important things to concentrate on at this time of year. LMAO

Devilsdancefloor
08-05-2012, 12:26 PM
Id rather see a coach with a little fire in his belly, so what if he blows his top. I think everyone here can say they have done it at least once at work. Ben is Ben he will not change. I dont think Ben is trying to add fuel to the fire, but at times just doesnt thikn or he is asked a question and answers it honestly :noidea:

GBMelBlount
08-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Id rather see a coach with a little fire in his belly, so what if he blows his top.

I think everyone here can say they have done it at least once at work. Ben is Ben he will not change. I dont think Ben is trying to add fuel to the fire, but at times just doesnt thikn or he is asked a question and answers it honestly :noidea:

Absolutely!

I much prefer this to the "postal" method of keeping everything bottled up inside.

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 12:38 PM

Just my two cents.

OR everyone can take what the media says with a grain of salt. I'm sure the media has twisted the interview, like they do everything else.

Edman
08-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Just because the man wears the colors doesn't mean you have to like him. It's okay.

I respect the way Ben wins on the field, but I could care less about the guy as a person. He is who he is. When it comes to all-time favorite Steeler players, he doesn't even crack Top 25 on my list. On this current team he's not even in the Top 10, and 15 is kind of pushing it.

You'll have to just tolerate it. It's just who he is. Because he gives this team the best chance to win, and there's nobody else better.

X-Terminator
08-05-2012, 02:38 PM
Man, at his point I'm starting to think we should ban ProFootballTalk from this site. I'm tired of Florio's hack journalism and that people are actually being swayed by it.

fansince'76
08-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Man, at his point I'm starting to think we should ban ProFootballTalk from this site. I'm tired of Florio's hack journalism and that people are actually being swayed by it.

One perusal of the comments section under said "article" tells you all you need to know about the "audience" Florio caters to. "Rapelisburger" is such a witty, original and funny comment - sure is a new one on me! :coffee:

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 03:16 PM

I do get stories from there, but I generally link back to the article that they are using as a source if at all possible. (plus it eliminates all the hack editorialism they do there)

No sense giving Florioturd more hits.

X-Terminator
08-05-2012, 03:31 PM
One perusal of the comments section under said "article" tells you all you need to know about the "audience" Florio caters to. "Rapelisburger" is such a witty, original and funny comment - sure is a new one on me! :coffee:

Shocking. Well, not really...

I do get stories from there, but I generally link back to the article that they are using as a source if at all possible. (plus it eliminates all the hack editorialism they do there)

I still can't figure out how that jackass got an affiliation with NBC Sports in the first place. He was known as a laughingstock for YEARS by most NFL fans, and was never taken seriously. Does he have some dirt on the producers or something? Even Bleacher Report manages to turn up some good stuff every now and then.

polamalubeast
08-05-2012, 03:34 PM
hound32 says:Aug 4, 2012 10:12 PM

the only guy who made Kurt Warner cuss ..i found that to be quite amusing . as a die hard Browns fan i cant wait for the implosion . maybe we can help that along when we meet .

idiot!

As Steelers fan, I can't wait for a another season of 10 losses or more for the Browns!

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 03:36 PM

I attempted several times to post comments that actually used facts to defend Ben or whatever the Steeler subject was and they always get deleted by the mods.

fansince'76
08-05-2012, 03:38 PM
hound32 says:Aug 4, 2012 10:12 PM

the only guy who made Kurt Warner cuss ..i found that to be quite amusing . as a die hard Browns fan i cant wait for the implosion . maybe we can help that along when we meet .

idiot!

As Steelers fan, I can't wait for a another season of 10 losses or more for the Browns!

:chuckle:

Not looking good for the steelers this year, ankle injurys seem to linger all year. Just when you though Ben couldn’t get more immobile from being a lard arse, now he has a jacked up ankle. Good luck , can’t wait to watch the Browns add to your misery.

Yeah, I'm sure your 29-year-old 1st round rookie phenom QB and no-name scrub WRs are gonna absolutely light us up! I know I'm just a-quaking in my boots! BTW, thanks again, Walgren, for passing on DeCastro! :thumbsup:

X-Terminator
08-05-2012, 03:40 PM
I attempted several times to post comments that actually used facts to defend Ben or whatever the Steeler subject was and they always get deleted by the mods.

That is not shocking either. I mean, why let facts get in the way of good Steelers/Ben bashing? :coffee:

I'll give that moron 2 reasons why an "implosion" will not happen.

Mike Tomlin.

Knowing what we all know about him, does anyone really think Tomlin will allow any friction between his OC and QB affect the team?

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 03:43 PM
I still do not think the comments about Haley should have been made. Almost makes it sound like the entire team is on edge waiting for Haley to blow up.

Is that a correct assessment? Doesn't matter because Ben shouldn't have given anyone the opportunity to make the assessment.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong I'm not saying things can't get twisted, but you would think Ben would be a PR expert by now and watch what he says to the media.

polamalubeast
08-05-2012, 03:44 PM
That is not shocking either. I mean, why let facts get in the way of good Steelers/Ben bashing?

I'll give that moron 2 reasons why an "implosion" will not happen.

Mike Tomlin.

Knowing what we all know about him, does anyone really think Tomlin will allow any friction between his OC and QB affect the team?

Also, Warner did not had any problems with Haley in the two seasons with the Cardinals

I think that Warner has great respect for Haley

Count Steeler
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Ben has to learn that not everyone in the media is his bud and some will take his words and try to make him look like an idiot.

I think Ben made this comment, making fun of the media, because they have hyped up Haley as someone who is going to explode on every play. Enough of this BS. Let's play some football!

tube517
08-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Yeah, I'm sure your 29-year-old 1st round rookie phenom QB and no-name scrub WRs are gonna absolutely light us up! I know I'm just a-quaking in my boots! BTW, thanks again, Walgren, for passing on DeCastro! :thumbsup:

Walgren :chuckle:

fansince'76
08-05-2012, 03:52 PM
Walgren :chuckle:

http://totalpackers.com/images/iamthewalrus.jpg

:lol:

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 03:54 PM
I think Ben made this comment, making fun of the media, because they have hyped up Haley as someone who is going to explode on every play. Enough of this BS. Let's play some football!

Ding ding ding! Winner!!

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 04:18 PM
:chuckle:

I know, I was so shocked when they didn't take DeCastro. And THAT ladies and gentlemen, are why the Steelers are winning team and the Browns aren't. We make smart decisions and well... the Browns are the Browns. :chuckle:

XxKnightxX
08-05-2012, 05:10 PM

Just my two cents.

Haha as Im reading the article I can see the sarcasm coming out of Bens mouth. Thats his personality, hes sarcastic. Hes no media darling, and hes just toying with them if you ask me.

The Duke
08-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Ben has to learn that not everyone in the media is his bud and some will take his words and try to make him look like an idiot.

that's the way I saw it and thought it was pretty obvious

guess I was wrong on the obvious part....

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 05:33 PM

How exactly was it obvious? Just wondering because I completely missed it and thought of it as an unnecessary thing to say.

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 05:50 PM
Haha as Im reading the article I can see the sarcasm coming out of Bens mouth. Thats his personality, hes sarcastic. Hes no media darling, and hes just toying with them if you ask me.

I agree with this.

I'm not saying Ben is a media genius or anything close, but I do he think plays games with them. If you look back on alot of the things he says...if you actually watch the video instead of just reading the text...it comes across very differently. James Harrison is the same way.

The Duke
08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
How exactly was it obvious? Just wondering because I completely missed it and thought of it as an unnecessary thing to say.

just think in terms of "because I hold on to the ball too long"

Ben plays with the media because he knows what the popular opinion is of him. Who knows, maybe he likes being hated? He obviously doesn't care if he's misunderstood, so neither should we

Count Steeler
08-05-2012, 06:28 PM

Ben plays with the media because he knows what the popular opinion is of him. Who knows, maybe he likes being hated? He obviously doesn't care if he's misunderstood, so neither should we

I definitely think he wants the bullseye on his back. I think he knows that he performs best under pressure. Of course, if you are too focused on Ben, then someone else can beat you.

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 06:37 PM

I can understand that. I guess what I don't understand is criticizing the media like crazy because he is the one saying those things. If it's OK with everyone that Ben is like this, then they should be fine with the media using it, because as we know they are going to.

SteelGhost
08-05-2012, 06:43 PM

You're sooo right X :thumbsup:

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 08:53 PM
When Ben says these things, he's ususally talking to the local media guys that he knows. He makes jokes and plays with them. It's the national media that gets ahold of the comments and spins them into a frenzy to meet their own agendas just to get hits on their websites.

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 09:06 PM
When Ben says these things, he's ususally talking to the local media guys that he knows. He makes jokes and plays with them. It's the national media that gets ahold of the comments and spins them into a frenzy to meet their own agendas just to get hits on their websites.

Does that matter? Just because it's a local guy that doesn't mean it can't gain national attention? Was it Florio that personally interviewed Ben?

My point is that I don't think everyone can have it both ways. Be ok with Ben and the way he handles the media but then criticize the media for using what they are given!

It's just my opinion maybe I'm way off but thats how I see it.

Craic
08-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Um, not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone have anymore information about Ben? Last I heard was that it was actually just a bruised foot.

zulater
08-05-2012, 09:50 PM

Just my two cents.

How the hell could you take that statement in context and not see it as tongue in cheek? Do you take every single thing everyone says as literal? Holy smoke! I don't know whether to shake my head in sympathy or laugh out loud derisively.

zulater
08-05-2012, 09:55 PM

I'm sorry. But anyone who can't read that comment in context and see that Ben just let loose with a joke.... I got to hold my tongue. This is just beyond ridiculous though. People looking for malice or derision where only a little playfulness was being displayed. :frusty:

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 09:56 PM
Um, not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but does anyone have anymore information about Ben? Last I heard was that it was actually just a bruised foot.

Really, where did you hear that at?

Shoes
08-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Really, where did you hear that at?

PFT.....:chuckle:

zulater
08-05-2012, 10:00 PM

You and me both Duke.

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 10:06 PM
Whether he was joking or not isn't the point. The point is should he have said it? In SMR's opinion no he shouldn't have. Especially with the way the media can blow things out of proportion.

WE know he's joking. Then all people want to do his complain about how the media (and other people I suppose) is making a whole lot out of nothing....but it is ok with them if Ben jokes around. So he can joke around but the media can't use it...?

I just don't get it...

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 10:13 PM
PFT.....:chuckle:

http://i3.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/007/423/untitle.JPG

zulater
08-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Whether he was joking or not isn't the point. The point is should he have said it? In SMR's opinion no he shouldn't have. Especially with the way the media can blow things out of proportion.

WE know he's joking. Then all people want to do his complain about how the media (and other people I suppose) is making a whole lot out of nothing....but it is ok with them if Ben jokes around. So he can joke around but the media can't use it...?

I just don't get it...

I don't think Tomlin, Rooney, or Ben's teammates give a flying fart about this sort of minutia, so I'm not going to worry about it either.

Just as long as Ben's good to go for the opener and has the offense down that's all that matters to me.

He's a free man and allowed to speak as he sees fit. If he want's to joke that's his right. And if there's people out there who want to get their shorts in a knot over innocuous jokes that's their right too.

And it's my right to laugh out loud at them for doing so! :heh: .

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 10:21 PM
I don't think Tomlin, Rooney, or Ben's teammates give a flying fart about this sort of minutia, so I'm not going to worry about it either.

Just as long as Ben's good to go for the opener and has the offense down that's all that matters to me.

He's a free man and allowed to speak as he sees fit. If he want's to joke that's his right. And if there's people out there who want to get their shorts in a knot over innocuous jokes that's their right too.

And it's my right to laugh out loud at them for doing so! :heh: .

I'm not really getting up in arms about what he is saying. I just didn't necessarily understand blaming the media. If an individual doesn't care how Ben handles himself with reporters as you said that's their right and I'm fine with that, but IMO that same person shouldn't sit there and bash the media when they write about it.

You and I both know Zu, they are freakin GOING to write about it. :chuckle: So we better get used to it cause that's just the way good ole Ben is.

zulater
08-06-2012, 03:21 AM
Ben Roethlisberger did not practice today after having his left foot stepped on near the end of practice Saturday. However, he said it is not sprained – he wore no bandage or extra support on it – and that he will return to practice on Tuesday. The players have Monday off.
“It’s good. No worries,’’ Roethlisberger said after watching practice. “I think coach was giving it to me anyway, two days in a row – today, and tomorrow we’re off anyway. I just got it stepped on, nothing big.”
Coach Mike Tomlin, who mocked a question about his quarterback’s injury on Saturday, called Roethlisberger “day to day.’’

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117505-ed-no-sprain-for-ben-will-return-tuesday

OK can we end the nonsense now, no sprained ankle!!!!

Oh and look what that nasty Mike Tomlin did! He mocked the press, and by extension everything holy under the sun along with it! That bastard! :sarcasm: