PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Depot: Ben Roethlisberger Injures Left Ankle But Not Deemed Serious

polamalubeast
08-04-2012, 04:52 PM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/08/ben-roethlisberger-injuries-left-ankle-but-not-deemed-serious/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

Pristas
08-04-2012, 05:21 PM
What a sissy.

zulater
08-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sprained his left ankle on a perfect, 20-yard scoring strike to receiver Emmanuel Sanders late in practice when he was stepped on by a lineman. He limped off the field and had an ice pack taped to his troublesome ankle.

"It was my bad ankle,'' Roethlisberger said, standing at mid-field after practice at St. Vincent's College.

At least there's no fracturing so far with first-year Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, 45, who earned a reputation as a fiery coach during his 2007-2008 tenure as Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator.

"We're just kind of waiting for it,'' Roethlisberger told USA TODAY Sports on Saturday, referencing Haley's combustible reputation. "Todd's the only guy to ever make Kurt Warner cuss. "It's kind of an interesting thing.

"We'll see. We haven't even got to a game yet.''

Then Cardinals receiver Anquan Boldin incited Haley when he jawed at his offensive coordinator during the 2008 NFC Championship game because Boldin wasn't on the field during a critical drive. Haley fired back while continuing to call plays on the winning drive that led to Arizona's franchise-first Super Bowl appearance as head coach Ken Whisenhunt intervened.

Haley had a similar exchange last season with Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel before he was dismissed late last season as Chiefs coach.

So far, the Roethlisberger and Haley dynamic is a work-in-progress relationship. Their growing rapport showed up in Saturday's practice with Roethlisberger firing pinpoint spirals for several touchdown strikes off a strong run-first rushing attack.

Roethlisberger did his homework, talking to players who have worked with Haley in the past.

"Todd's a good coordinator,'' he says. "Obviously, we've only had a few months around each other. So far it's a different dynamic than with (former Steelers coordinator) Bruce Arians.

"I think our relationship is growing and I can see where Todd's vision of us is headed.
"It's all about winning. You have to put aside egos and put aside wanting to run the ball, wanting to throw the ball to just win and that's what we both want to do.''

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/index#.UB3CAk2PUTZ

GBMelBlount
08-04-2012, 08:11 PM
"It was my bad ankle,'' Roethlisberger said...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/index#.UB3CAk2PUTZ

Ugh...

86WARD
08-04-2012, 08:27 PM
Drama Queen.

Psycho Ward 86
08-04-2012, 09:59 PM
"He's fine," Tomlin said, according to CBSSports.com. "Somebody stepped on his foot. You guys love the Ben updates."

even tomlin's fuckin annoyed. as should the rest of the world.

bayz101
08-04-2012, 10:03 PM
Obviously some of you have never had a sprained ankle, and have never had a 300 pound lineman roll it. I've had both happen, and it flat out SUCKS. You could easily get back out there and play after about a half-hour, but the next day is where the pain starts.

GBMelBlount
08-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Obviously some of you have never had a sprained ankle, and have never had a 300 pound lineman roll it. I've had both happen, and it flat out SUCKS. You could easily get back out there and play after about a half-hour, but the next day is where the pain starts.

It's not the issue of a sprained ankle that I cared much about Bayz, it's his implying that it is a LINGERING ankle problem...

"It was my bad ankle,'' Roethlisberger said...

bayz101
08-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Oh shit. :doh2:

I don't like that. "Bad ankle" isn't what I want to hear from someone who was supposedly 80% for a game clear back in January.

Edit: And my comment, in no way, was directed at you GB. It seems whenever Ben is injured, there's a group that immediately call him a baby, or even worse, an attention-whore. The thing is, the starting quarterback of a pro team standing on the sideline with ice around his ankle is bound to pick up some attention, regardless of what Ben says or does.

Lou Donny
08-05-2012, 12:24 AM
Big deal. Tomlin has been giving vets days off this whole camp. The Friday night practice was pretty laid back many key guys were not involved. 99 and 88 didnt even dress...56, 33, 25 and 83 did little more than watch...Troy sat on his helmet for at least 20 minutes. Ben ices his ankle and gets blasted for it? Did he pee on your rug? Jeez

bayz101
08-05-2012, 01:33 AM
Big deal. Tomlin has been giving vets days off this whole camp. The Friday night practice was pretty laid back many key guys were not involved. 99 and 88 didnt even dress...56, 33, 25 and 83 did little more than watch...Troy sat on his helmet for at least 20 minutes. Ben ices his ankle and gets blasted for it? Did he pee on your rug? Jeez

Lol. Loving the reference at the end, dude.

GBMelBlount
08-05-2012, 07:39 AM
Oh shit. :doh2:

I don't like that. "Bad ankle" isn't what I want to hear from someone who was supposedly 80% for a game clear back in January.

Agreed.

One Ben gets his nose smashed and bravely finishes out the game under incredible duress...and the other Ben seems to occasionaly embellish. Maybe he had a doting mother in his formative years. Who knows.

But yeah, "my BAD ankle" is not what I expected to hear at all.

stillers4me
08-05-2012, 07:51 AM
I've sprained both my ankles and it really takes an entire year for it to feel normal again. And some people say it never feels normal again (those that don't do any type of rehab on them)....I do extensive foot and ankle work several times a week on a pilates refomer and that is like rehab. Ben , I'm sure is getting the best rehab known to man, but it's still a lingering issue.

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 08:21 AM
Yeah severly sprained ankles can definitely have a lingering effect and you may never feel 100%. In football at the QB position it may not be as bad as say basketball where the guy has to cut and jump a lot more. Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors has TERRIBLE stability in his ankles and is always spraining them and its not really his fault. He just has weak ankles as a result of spraining them when he was younger.

GBMelBlount
08-05-2012, 12:06 PM
I've sprained both my ankles and it really takes an entire year for it to feel normal again. And some people say it never feels normal again (those that don't do any type of rehab on them)....I do extensive foot and ankle work several times a week on a pilates refomer and that is like rehab. Ben , I'm sure is getting the best rehab known to man, but it's still a lingering issue.

I am certainly no ankleologist but I am guessing that everyone is different and of course there are different degrees of ankle sprains no doubt.

I have sprained my ankle many times (to varying degrees) and was even on crutches once due to the severity but I guess I never personally had any that really lingered. I am guessing it was a Level II.

I am not diminishing what you are saying s4me. If Ben truly still has a bad ankle then it does sound like this is a chronic problem.

Here is a blurb on ankle sprains that implies MOST do heal quickly and completely and the worst type of severe ankle sprain (Level III) should only take to 4 months to heal:

Grade III
Severe pain may be present initially, followed by little or no pain due to total disruption of the nerve fibers
Swelling may be profuse and joint becomes stiff some hours after the injury
Complete rupture of the ligaments of the lateral complex (severe laxity)
Usually requires some form of immobilization lasting several weeks
Complete loss of function (functional disability) and necessity for crutches
Usually managed conservatively with rehabilitation exercises, but a small percentage may require surgery
Recovery can be as long as 4 months

Now if it IS CHRONIC, then it sounds like it is long term and hence becomes a "bad ankle".

Treatment and Rehabilitation:

Many problems resulting from sprains are due to blood and edema (swelling) in and around the ankle. Minimizing swelling helps the ankle heal faster. Most sprains heal completely within a few weeks. With increasing injury severity, the rehabilitation process becomes more complex and extensive. Chronic or recurrent lateral ankle sprains usually receive some type of strengthening program and proprioception training due to poor balance on the injured leg.

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/ankle_sprain/

So I guess my concern is that his ankle problem may now be "chronic."

Also, I cannot help but wonder if the neanderthal decision to play him when we had locked up a playoff spot, rather than allowing him to rest largely contributed to this.

Moose
08-05-2012, 12:12 PM
LMAO ! Gotta love OFF SEASON and training camp time ! :) So much about nothing on everything. LOL

Nadroj 20
08-05-2012, 12:59 PM
I am certainly no ankleologist but I am guessing that everyone is different and of course there are different degrees of ankle sprains no doubt.

I have sprained my ankle many times (to varying degrees) and was even on crutches once due to the severity but I guess I never personally had any that really lingered. I am guessing it was a Level II.

I am not diminishing what you are saying s4me. If Ben truly still has a bad ankle then it does sound like this is a chronic problem.

Here is a blurb on ankle sprains that implies MOST do heal quickly and completely and the worst type of severe ankle sprain (Level III) should only take to 4 months to heal:

Now if it IS CHRONIC, then it sounds like it is long term and hence becomes a "bad ankle".

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/ankle_sprain/

So I guess my concern is that his ankle problem may now be "chronic."

Also, I cannot help but wonder if the neanderthal decision to play him when we had locked up a playoff spot, rather than allowing him to rest largely contributed to this.

Well, he never rested his ankle. That 4 months is only if he isn't very active during that span and we all know he was active.

I've had a Grade III twice in my left foot. My last time was in July of 2010. I'll be honest, I didn't take very good care of it and now...

It still hurts after activity. Everytime.