PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Team holds auditions at outside linebacker

stillers4me
08-04-2012, 05:34 AM
Linebackers coach Keith Butler is trying out just about everybody at outside linebacker. Butler doesn’t want to be forced to move inside linebacker Lawrence Timmons outside like he did last year when James Harrison was hurt and missed four games early in the season. “I don’t like it, and I am sure he doesn’t like it, either,” Butler said. “He knew at the time it was the best thing that we could’ve done for the defense. It probably took away some of the notoriety he would’ve gotten if he stayed at inside.” Timmons’ tackles dropped from 149 in 2010 to 91 last year because of the four games he played outside linebacker...............

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2323552-85/linebacker-practice-outside-brown-butler-coach-corner-doesn-early-games

Lou Donny
08-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Overheard Tunch talking to the Sirius crew at the nite practice....he is really high on OLB Robinson.

Lets hope he is right...OLBs looked weak without 56 & 92

Devilsdancefloor
08-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I think th eproblem without 56 or 92 last year worilds was hurt as well and asking carter to do what the others do in the D last year was a BIG order to fill, but i think he did what was needed nothing amazing, but hold his own. I hope a back up can step up if either are hurt this year.

GBMelBlount
08-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Overheard Tunch talking to the Sirius crew at the nite practice....he is really high on OLB Robinson.

Lets hope he is right...OLBs looked weak without 56 & 92

I have not heard much about him. Here is a random blurb from draft day:

Pittsburgh Steelers Undrafted Rookie Free Agent Profile – Temple OLB Adrian Robinson Jr
April 29th, 2012 at 10:34 PM
By Mark Mihalko

Earlier today, we published a list of the reported undrafted rookie free agents that the Pittsburgh Steelers reportedly signed. Until that list is officially announced, we will view it as a fluid document. One player on that preliminary list that caught our eye is Temple defensive end /
outside linebacker Adrian Robinson Jr.

The 6-1, 251 pound was a two-time all conference selection and a playmaker for the Owls defense. While he lacks prototypical height for the outside linebacker position, he may have enough speed 4.71 40-yard to make an impact. A natural athlete with is technically sound both rushing the passer as an edge rusher and dropping into coverage in the flat.

A college playmaker, he may have topped out his potential and there is a question about how much upside he can offer an NFL franchise. Undersized and lacking the potentially lacking the requisite skill set may hurt.

In the end, Robinson is a fluid player with solid athleticism; unfortunately, his measurables may not allow him to truly make an impact in the NFL on a consistent basis. Yes, he faces a tough road, but he could definitely develop into a solid special team contributor, and possibly into a situational pass rusher.

http://www.steelers101.com/2012/04/29/pittsburgh-steelers-undrafted-rookie-free-agent-profile-temple-olb-adrian-robinson-jr/

Lou Donny
08-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Great info Mel