PDA

View Full Version : Former Steelers come home to say goodbye

polamalubeast
08-03-2012, 07:21 PM
From the minute they arrived on campus at St. Vincent College on Friday afternoon, Willie Parker, Joey Porter, Aaron Smith and Marvel Smith were back in training camp mode, joking with each other, visiting with former teammates, and fitting in as if they had never left.

But on this day, it was all about saying goodbye for the four former Steelers’ greats, who officially retired before the team’s practice at Latrobe Memorial Stadium.

“It’s an honor to come back and be here with the organization that Pittsburgh is, the tradition, and to come back and be a part of that and experience this tonight,” said Marvel Smith. “I haven’t been out here in a long time and it’s nice to come back.

“Playing here, it was the total experience of being around here and being a part of Steelers history, not just while I was here but a connection with the Steelers past. It’s not one experience, but it’s being here and being around the best players in the league and playing with them on a daily basis.”

Steelers’ fans gave the players a thunderous ovation, something that meant the world to them.

“It’s important for me to give back to the fans, the organization, and the Rooneys,” said Parker, who was recently added to the coaching staff at West Virginia Wesleyan. “Coming in they gave me a shot, with that shot I made it to two Super Bowls, two Pro Bowls. I wouldn’t have it any other way. It’s a blessing. It’s a first class organization, people and coaches. I think I have to close this part of my life to carry on and give my all to the next part of my life and transition on and carry on into coaching.”

read more

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Former-Steelers-come-home-to-say-goodbye/283e2cfe-3345-4dbf-ae40-65ade9f2ff9f