PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted players like new roster rule

LLT
08-03-2012, 05:31 AM
August 3, 2012 12:10 am
By Douglas Farmer / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Bridger Buche was tending the cash register July 19 at his father's textbook store in Lansing, Mich. Thursday, the 300-pound offensive lineman was back behind that register. Seemingly between customers, he tried out for, signed with, practiced with and was cut by the Steelers, all in two weeks' work.

Today, instead of making change for a $20, he will work out for the Minnesota Vikings.

Buche wasn't on the roster the Steelers initially released. Without a rule change by NFL owners raising the offseason roster size from 80 to 90, Buche might never have spent any time in Latrobe. The change, instituted the day before the 2012 draft, allowed 320 more players to vie for spots on the 53-man rosters.

"It gets guys like me a chance, and, coming from a smaller school like Eastern Michigan, that's all I really wanted," Buche said after practice Friday. "Just a chance to come into a camp and show what I could do, so I'm glad they're giving me this opportunity

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/undrafted-players-like-new-roster-rule-647389/#ixzz22TguME5h