PDA

View Full Version : At last, Steelers place Colon on guard duty

LLT
08-03-2012, 05:26 AM
August 3, 2012 1:13 am
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Reality finally caught up with long-running speculation when, after six years playing offensive tackle amid opinions he'd make the perfect offensive guard, Willie Colon finds himself at left guard in training camp.

And he's happy about it, which might surprise those who saw him bristle at the mere mention in previous years that he would make a better guard than tackle. Ben Roethlisberger and former coordinator Bruce Arians even resorted to joking about it.

They would torture Colon, telling him "You're going to play guard; you're going to play guard."

"He never wanted to do it," Roethlisberger said.

The Steelers did not move him until this spring simply because they had more guards than tackles. They needed him at right tackle, where, at 6 feet 3, he was undersized but more than held his own in three seasons as a starter before injuries wiped out all but one game of the past two seasons.

But, as new coordinator Todd Haley noted the other day, Colon was born to play guard and, feeling they have enough tackles with the addition of second-round pick Mike Adams and the success of Marcus Gilbert last year, the coaching staff switched him. They did so long before they took the field in the spring, giving Colon enough time to make the transition

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/guard-duty-647402/#ixzz22TfWdLgb

Count Steeler
08-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Here's to a healthy season, Willie. Go get 'em.

Pristas
08-03-2012, 06:48 AM
I'm looking forward to this o-line!

GBMelBlount
08-03-2012, 07:05 AM
With a healthy Colon and DeCastro performing as expected, our interior line could be scary good this year.

Of all of the things I look forward to this year it is the possibility of imposing our will in the running game that I am most excited about...

Texasteel
08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Note to defencive lines.

73-54-66,,,,,,,,, thats the lisence # of the truck that just hit you.

polamalubeast
08-03-2012, 11:21 AM
I hope that Colon will be healthy this year and I also hope that Colon will not do a lot of false start......

GBMelBlount
08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
I hope that Colon will be healthy this year and I also hope that Colon will not do a lot of false start......

Last thing we need is a spastic colon

Devilsdancefloor
08-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Last thing we need is a spastic colon

:buttkick:

i can not wait to see how well this line works it has been so long since i can say i am excited about or Oline

SteelerFanInStl
08-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Let's just hope that Willie can stay healthy. If he does, we've got the makings of a great OL for the first time in a LONG time.

SteelGhost
08-03-2012, 07:11 PM
August 3, 2012 1:13 am
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Reality finally caught up with long-running speculation when, after six years playing offensive tackle amid opinions he'd make the perfect offensive guard, Willie Colon finds himself at left guard in training camp.

And he's happy about it, which might surprise those who saw him bristle at the mere mention in previous years that he would make a better guard than tackle. Ben Roethlisberger and former coordinator Bruce Arians even resorted to joking about it.

They would torture Colon, telling him "You're going to play guard; you're going to play guard."

"He never wanted to do it," Roethlisberger said.

The Steelers did not move him until this spring simply because they had more guards than tackles. They needed him at right tackle, where, at 6 feet 3, he was undersized but more than held his own in three seasons as a starter before injuries wiped out all but one game of the past two seasons.

But, as new coordinator Todd Haley noted the other day, Colon was born to play guard and, feeling they have enough tackles with the addition of second-round pick Mike Adams and the success of Marcus Gilbert last year, the coaching staff switched him. They did so long before they took the field in the spring, giving Colon enough time to make the transition

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/guard-duty-647402/#ixzz22TfWdLgb

Thanks Coach :hatsoff: