PDA

View Full Version : 'The Replacements’ emerge for Steelers

LLT
08-03-2012, 05:22 AM
By Alan Robinson
Published: Thursday, August 2, 2012,

Call them The Replacements.

For now, they’re not true Steelers starters, just starters in waiting. Outside linebacker Chris Carter knows he’s headed to the bench when James Harrison is healthy. Steve McLendon understands he will divide time at nose tackle when the massive Casey Hampton is healed.

Mike Adams figures to be a starter in the near future but, for now, he’s merely trying to take advantage of the extra practice time gained because left tackle Max Starks is healing from knee surgery.

To a man, they agree there’s no replacing all the extra attention they’re getting because five players remain on the physically unable to perform list more than a week into training camp. Carter, for example, got a mini-tutoring session from Harrison as the two ate lunch Thursday at the St. Vincent College cafeteria.

“They’re amazing athletes. James, you can learn a lot from that guy,” Carter said. “He’s the consummate pro. So it’s not just an opportunity for me to get in there and get some quality reps and prepare for the future.”

For Carter, a fifth-round pick in 2011, this is a real-life instructional course, and the grading will be done by coach Mike Tomlin, defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and linebackers coach Keith Butler. It offers an opportunity for him to prove he’s as good as the players who were drafted higher or played in the more-prestigious BCS conferences

Read More: http://triblive.com/sports/2323548-85/carter-guys-mclendon-steelers-hampton-opportunity-players-replacements-season-starters

Texasteel
08-03-2012, 10:47 AM
I would love to get back to the 70s when it was thought that the 2 best teams in football were the Steelers-1, and the Steelers backups-2.

ALLD
08-03-2012, 06:04 PM
I would love to get back to the 70s when it was thought that the 2 best teams in football were the Steelers-1, and the Steelers backups-2.

You always knew we would win the Super Bowl if we got there.

Steeldude
08-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Steve McLendon understands he will divide time at nose tackle when the massive Casey Hampton is healed

Hopefully McLendon remains the starter and receives most of the playing time

Steeldude
08-04-2012, 02:32 AM

Remember when the Steelers played the College All-Stars in 75 & 76?

August 1, 1975 - Pittsburgh Steelers 21 College All-Stars 14

July 23, 1976 - Pittsburgh Steelers 24 College All-Stars 0

ALLD
08-04-2012, 06:13 AM
They should bring the college vs. pros game back. That would be interesting even if it was just once this generation.