PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers Preview: Seven Reasons Rashard Mendenhall Will Have a Big Season

LLT
07-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers Preview: Seven Reasons Rashard Mendenhall Will Have a Big Season
By Chris G.
July 19, 2010 71

There may be no more important player on the Pittsburgh Steelers offense than Rashard Mendenhall.

The third year running back will be a focal point of the Steelers offense, particularly at the start of the 2010 season while Pittsburgh is without Ben Roethlisberger.

After being the first running back that the Steelers have taken in the first round (23rd overall) since Tim Worley in 1989, there were high expectations for Mendenhall even as a rookie.

However, after a lackluster preseason, there were concerns regarding Mendenhall and he did not do much to disprove these in rushing for only 58 yards on 19 carries in the four games he played as a rookie.

The disappointing season came to an early end as Mendenhall suffered a shoulder injury against Baltimore in his first career start.

Mendenhall needed a fresh start in 2009, but did not fair much better. In week three, Mendenhall was benched because he did not know his assignments.

What could have been a major setback, Mendenhall took as motivation.

“It’s a learning experience…I just look forward to getting an opportunity to play and show the fans and my teammates what I can do.”

Mendenhall did just that. In only 12 starts, he had 1,108 rushing yards averaging 4.6 yards per carry and seven touchdowns plus another 261 yards receiving and a touchdown.

With a greater emphasis expected to be placed on the ground game, Mendenhall is poised to have a big season.

Focus on the Running Game
“I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to…So that’s part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football.”

With those words that Steelers president Art Rooney II spoke to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it became clear that the Pittsburgh would be running the ball more this season.

In 2007, Mike Tomlin’s first year as head coach, Pittsburgh averaged 135.5 yards per game on the ground, good enough for third in the league.

Since then, their production has dropped off, averaging only 105.6 yards per game in 2008 and 112.1 yards per game in 2009, ranking 23rd and 19th in the league respectively.

Though the Steelers will not return to the Cowher days of running the ball 35-40 times per game, they will put an emphasis on situational running.

Mendenhall can expect to get more carries on short yardage downs and goal line situations. This should up his production in both yardage and touchdowns.

More importantly, he will likely be utilized more in the fourth quarter to wear down defenses as well as keep the clock moving.

Experience
For the first time in his career, Mendenhall will not have former Pro Bowl running back Willie Parker ahead of him on the depth chart. This being his third season, Mendenhall has proven to be the quality back that the Steelers need.

Unlike last season, Mendenhall will not be getting benched because he did not know the playbook. His awareness of assignments in the offense will be a huge benefit.

Mendenhall will be able to use this knowledge to continue to develop as a complete back, as he should be an every down back this season.

Playing on third downs will open up the playbook for the Steelers as he is their most dangerous option in the backfield.

With his speed and quickness, he can find himself picking up big chunks of yardage on draw plays and after posting 25 receptions last season, Mendenhall has a chance to build on this number, particularly with one less receiving threat after trading Santonio Holmes.

Tomlin and Arians Need to Use Him
Besides Mendenhall’s gain in experience, Tomlin and offensive coordinator Bruce Arians need to use him this season. Why? Their boss told them they need to run the ball more.

In a change from his usually stubborn ways, Arians had a simple solution to improve the ground game this year. How was that?

Arians says, “You just focus on it.”

By no means will they change their offensive philosophy a significant deal, but they will change it when it comes to situational football.

As mentioned before, it is clear that the coaching staff needs to improve their short yardage offense and that can start by using Mendenhall in these situations rather than lining up with an empty backfield.

There are other areas that Arians feels that they can improve as well.

“At the end of the game, in the four-minute [offense] to run out the clock and not punt the ball, short yards, goal line are areas we have to be more efficient.”

Becoming more effective in these areas will be a direct reflection of Mendenhall’s success and will also open up the offense to more play action passes which should result in better team success.

So, has the focus changed? According to what Frank Summers told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette , he believes it has.

“I see us working on it more in walk-throughs. There’s more emphasis on it, we’re going over it in meetings.”

Running the ball may also become easier with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who replaced Larry Zierlein.

Multidimensional Offense
Often times Arians became very predictable with his offense, particularly in the empty backfield situations. Using Mendenhall more will help diversify the Steelers offense, making it more unpredictable and more difficult to defense.

Coach Tomlin stresses the importance of running the ball to his football team.

“We’ve got to run the ball more effectively in critical situations because that’s how we desire to play football, and it increases our chances of winning. It makes us a more dominant football team.”

Mendenhall will be the key factor in becoming a more dominant football team.

As mentioned before, the result of using Mendenhall would enable the offense to implement more play action passes. These passes do not always have to go deep either. They may be able to design plays to go to Mendenhall.

Teams will also be less likely to load up against the pass or against the run, alleviating much of the pressure that goes on the offensive line to pick up pass or run blitzes.

Also, as a possible three down back, a ton of possibilities open up for plays that go to Mendenhall. He should get plenty of touches, being one of the most dangerous options for the Steelers offense.

Welcome Pouncey to the Line
The Steelers can try to use Mendenhall all they want, but without the blocking up front, he will not be able to gain too many yards, even with his vaunted spin move.

Enter Maurkice Pouncey, the Steelers first round selection this year. He will be an instant upgrade on a talent starved offensive line.

Expected to start at right guard, Pouncey will be a force along the line to help open up holes for Mendenhall, which became much more difficult after the team lost starting right tackle Willie Colon for the season.

Even so, the drafting of an offensive lineman in the first round further indicates the dedication that Pittsburgh places on running the ball better this season.

Lack of Depth
Mendenhall should also get a vast majority of the carries this season, and as I have stated multiple times, should be a three down back.

Why?

Because the Steelers lack proven depth behind Mendenhall.

Mewelde Moore is an experienced veteran who is capable of carrying the load for a few games if necessary, but he is not nearly the playmaker that Mendenhall is and could lose his third down role to Mendenhall this season.

Beyond Moore, there are no experienced running backs on the roster.

Isaac Redman showed a ton of potential as a goal line back during camp last season, but was not a part of the active roster.

Jonathan Dwyer was a late round selection with a ton of potential, but he is a rookie who has a lot to prove.

Two other young backs, Frank Summers and Justin Vincent, also lack NFL experience and will be fighting for a roster spot, let alone taking time away from Mendenhall.

Given the rather dire condition of the Steelers backfield, Mendenhall will be expected to be the go-to guy when it comes to gaining yards on the ground and unless beaten out, will be the goal line back as well.

Leftwich to Start the Season
The biggest factor that will get Mendenhall off to a great start is the fact that Byron Leftwich is expected to start at least the first four games of the season.

While an effective quarterback, Leftwich cannot carry a team like Roethlisberger can and it should not be expected that he will be throwing the ball 30 times a game which probably means that the Steelers won’t have the same offensive output as last season, which may not be a bad thing according to Hines Ward.

“Last year, we had a prolific offense. We had two 1,000-yard receivers, a 1,000-yard back and a 4,000-yard quarterback, and we were out of the playoffs. Go figure that.”

Ward believes that the offense needs to be more balanced.

“I mean it’s great to put up numbers but to complement our defense – who weren’t as powerful as they normally are – we have to control the ball more, time of possession. I suspect we can.”

Along with passing plays called by Arians with Leftwich in the lineup, there should also be less passing plays from the no huddle offense, a favorite of Roethlisberger’s.

So the bottom line, will Mendenhall be the answer? Ward says yes he can.

“I predict we’ll be more balanced. Look for Mendenhall, for us to use a lot of him.”

A hot start for Mendenhall would signal great things to come for the rest of the season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/422041-pittsburgh-steelers-preview-seven-ways-rashard-mendenhall-will-have-a-b#page/8

hotrodder07
07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
I'm really excited to see when Mendenhall can do this season. I have a lot of expectations for him, and I'm sure most of Steeler Nation does, as well. Hope he can have a real break out season here.

As mentioned before, it is clear that the coaching staff needs to improve their short yardage offense and that can start by using Mendenhall in these situations rather than lining up with an empty backfield.

I can't express in words how much I hated that 5-wide set. I screamed at the TV every time I saw it. :lol:.

Running the ball may also become easier with new offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who replaced Larry Zierlein.

Why is this? I haven't really read up on either of these guys. Is Sean Kugler known to have success running the ball wherever he goes? Or was Larry Zierlein known to have trouble with run blocking?

Psycho Ward 86
07-19-2010, 12:09 PM
I'm really excited to see when Mendenhall can do this season. I have a lot of expectations for him, and I'm sure most of Steeler Nation does, as well. Hope he can have a real break out season here.

I can't express in words how much I hated that 5-wide set. I screamed at the TV every time I saw it. :lol:.

Why is this? I haven't really read up on either of these guys. Is Sean Kugler known to have success running the ball wherever he goes? Or was Larry Zierlein known to have trouble with run blocking?

Well, Kugler had to work with about a dozen different combinations of linemen and he had i think 3-4 of his starters go on IR during the season and still managed to produce a 1,000 yard rusher in Fred Jackson (Who is a UFA by the way). That says something, and all the reports and interviews were getting out of him indicate that he likes to mould his lineman as nasty, tough, finishers. Steelers football perhaps?

BigNastyDefense
07-19-2010, 12:14 PM

I think Mendenhall is really going to have a breakout season. He's gonna have around 1400 yards and 12 TD's.

The 5-wide set made me scream at my TV also. It's one thing to go 5-wide on 3rd and 5+ yards......but when it's 3rd and inches GIVE IT TO YOUR FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK AT RUNNING BACK!

I think Kugler is a bit more of a teacher than LZ was. I think he did a commendable job with the patchwork offensive line he had in Buffalo last season.

LLT
07-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I haven't really read up on either of these guys. Is Sean Kugler known to have success running the ball wherever he goes? Or was Larry Zierlein known to have trouble with run blocking?

Kugler was the O-line coach for Boise State when they went 13-0...He is the guy who coached Ryan Clady up into a VERY good lineman. Kruger is a trench warfare type of coach who, as stated by others, loves maulers and linemen with nasty dispositions

"They're going to come with fire; they're going to come at you with the heat," he says. But you know what? We're going to shove it up their asses. Play the way you play!"
- Sean Kugler at halftime of the 2007 Fiesta Bowl

Buffalo was dumb enough last year to trade away OT Jason Peters just prior to the season start and had NO ONE in the wings to adequately take his place...they started the year with two rookies at guard and two projects at tackle. What is interesting is that they started out with 16 sacks in their first four games..then Kruger seemed to get a handle on his players and got the most out of a poor group.....allowing 29 more sacks in the remaining 12 games ...which sounds worst then it really was considering that the Bills had to air it out because they were ALWAYS behind!!! It's obvious that Kruger got the O-line to improve as the season went on.

There is talk that we are going to run the ball more and Kruger is going to be a definate asset in that regards. With the poor line he was given he was still able to average 4.4 yards a carry which was the 8th best average in the league.

Psycho Ward 86
07-19-2010, 12:59 PM
Kugler was the O-line coach for Boise State when they went 13-0...He is the guy who coached Ryan Clady up into a VERY good lineman. Kruger is a trench warfare type of coach who, as stated by others, loves maulers and linemen with nasty dispositions

Buffalo was dumb enough last year to trade away OT Jason Peters just prior to the season start and had NO ONE in the wings to adequately take his place...they started the year with two rookies at guard and two projects at tackle. What is interesting is that they started out with 16 sacks in their first four games..then Kruger seemed to get a handle on his players and got the most out of a poor group.....allowing 29 more sacks in the remaining 12 games ...which sounds worst then it really was considering that the Bills had to air it out because they were ALWAYS behind!!! It's obvious that Kruger got the O-line to improve as the season went on.

There is talk that we are going to run the ball more and Kruger is going to be a definate asset in that regards. With the poor line he was given he was still able to average 4.4 yards a carry which was the 8th best average in the league.

Great info i dont think anyone else really knew. Nice research :high5:

hotrodder07
07-19-2010, 02:36 PM

Thanks all for clearing that up. Especially LLT. Your post made me even more excited to see our running game this year. Hopefully Kuglar can replicate that running success here.

Craic
07-19-2010, 04:04 PM
I continue to be amazed at how THIS

“I think Mike and I certainly agreed coming off the season that we need to run the ball more consistently to get to where we want to get to…So that’s part of the thinking in the offseason: We need to figure out how to get better running the football.”

Gets translated into THIS

With those words that Steelers president Art Rooney II spoke to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, it became clear that the Pittsburgh would be running the ball more this season.

Running the ball more CONSISTENTLY does NOT mean running the ball MORE. It means CONSISTENTLY being ABLE TO RUN when you DO RUN.

Me thinks there is a lot of hoping and dreaming going on in the Pittsburgh SPorts media.

Craic
07-19-2010, 04:07 PM
I think Mendenhall is really going to have a breakout season. He's gonna have around 1400 yards and 12 TD's.

The 5-wide set made me scream at my TV also. It's one thing to go 5-wide on 3rd and 5+ yards......but when it's 3rd and inches GIVE IT TO YOUR FIRST ROUND DRAFT PICK AT RUNNING BACK!

I think Kugler is a bit more of a teacher than LZ was. I think he did a commendable job with the patchwork offensive line he had in Buffalo last season.

I have no problem lining up 5 wide on short yardage when it will catch the other team off-guard. 3 or 4 straight short yardage runs on 3rd and short should pull in the safeties. THEN, you slip in a 5 wide and put it right over their heads. That, or it burns a timeout. The problem isn't the lineup, its the strategy.

Of course, with the O line, it just may have been that they couldn't even trust the line to get short yardage. After all, when you DO line up like that, it pulls 9-10 men into the box, and our line had problems with that all year last year...and the year before, and the year before that... heck, even somewhat the year before that.

ALLD
07-19-2010, 05:11 PM
Mendy's biggest plays should be catching the ball out of the backfield and then running like he is on fire. If he can do that then we should be fine.

SteelerFanInStl
07-19-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm really looking forward to watching Mendy break out BIG this year. I think it's gonna happen, especially if he gets more receptions.

SMR
07-19-2010, 06:42 PM
I gotta say, the more I read about Kugler, the more excited and optimistic I am. Let's hope it plays out like that for the season!

Chidi29
07-19-2010, 06:58 PM
We were just as effective passing out of shotgun (Granted, that doesn't exclusively mean 5 WR sets, but considering we only ran the ball four times out of shotgun, any team that did their homework knew we weren't going to run the ball) as we were running the ball on short yard situations (three yards or less) last season.

The most popular example fans like to use in response to this is the Browns game. What should be noted is that Arians tried to run the ball on 3rd and 1 with Mendenhall after one of the sacks on the empty set. We couldn't get it. Nothing worked that game.