PDA

View Full Version : Big Ben could have shoulder troubles

LLT
08-02-2012, 04:51 AM
August 2, 2012
The Altoona Mirror

LATROBE - Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette on Wednesday that he has a minor torn rotator cuff injury.

He was injured in the Steelers' Nov. 6 loss to Baltimore this past season. He mentioned the injury in the spring, but Wednesday was the first time he's publicly called it a rotator cuff tear.

Roethlisberger said it feels fine, that his arm feels strong and that it should not hamper any of his throws.

"I'm good. It's OK, just sore," he told the Post-Gazette. "I have a little torn rotator cuff. That doesn't heal. We just have to hope it doesn't tear the rest of the way, according to Doc," he said, laughing.

Read More: http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/content.detail/id/563051/Big-Ben-could-have-shoulder-troubles.html?nav=751

zulater
08-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Ben Roethlisberger ran downfield hard during a kickoff coverage drill, only to become locked up with a blocker. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin pulled him aside after the play and explained he didn’t have the proper pursuit angle.

A few minutes before that, Roethlisberger zeroed in on trying to hit a goal post upright with a pass from about midfield. After a two-hour practice ended Wednesday, he spent time spreading extra throws to his receivers.

If the Steelers starting quarterback is making concessions to the partially torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder that occurred midway through last season, it’s not apparent a week into a training camp in which Big Ben — now 30 — appears to be throwing as much, and as accurately, as ever.

“It feels great right now,” Roethlisberger said. “It isn’t a new injury. I never complained about anything.”

Even if Tomlin wouldn’t dare use what arguably is his most valuable player to cover kickoffs — except for fun. Roethlisberger saw an opening during the drill, jumped in and got a 10-second taste of what it is like to play special teams.

The Steelers, of course, have long considered the two-time Super Bowl winner to be a special player.

Offensive coordinator Todd Haley is installing a system built around Roethlisberger’s strengths — his quick release, his accuracy, his ability to fend off pass rushers and deliver a throw. If they were concerned that Roethlisberger’s previously undisclosed rotator cuff problem might prove problematic, they almost certainly wouldn’t construct so much of the offense around him.

Asked if he has any concerns about his quarterback’s shoulder, Tomlin said, “None.”

“I thought it was a non-issue because it happened so long ago,” Roethlisberger said.

The injury occurred when Roethlisberger’s shoulder became extended on a play during the 23-20 loss to Baltimore on Nov. 6. He missed only one game the rest of the season, Dec. 24 against the Rams because of a sore ankle.

A lower-grade rotator cuff tear usually does not require surgery, only rehabilitation. An injury common to athletes, it is more like inflammation, and the shoulder often returns to normal function without surgery.

“We worked really hard, getting it right to play, and I never missed any time. Doc (Dr. Jim) Bradley and (Steelers athletic trainer) John Norwig and the trainers spent so much time rehabbing it and getting it right,” Roethlisberger said.

The injury had no appreciable effect on his performance, at least statistically. He completed 63 percent of his 192 passes after the injury and 63 percent of his 321 passes before it.

“There was no injection, no surgery, nothing but simple rehab,” Roethlisberger said. “It was never an issue, and I’ve dealt with a lot of pain. That wasn’t going to take me out. … I didn’t see any dropoff in my play.”
http://triblive.com/sports/2315498-85/roethlisberger-injury-cuff-steelers-shoulder-ben-quarterback-rotator-throwing-getting

steelerdude15
08-02-2012, 07:10 AM
In all reality, he never should have said anything. None of these athletes should speak to the media because the media will just make the situation ten times worse.

Psycho Ward 86
08-02-2012, 08:38 AM
yeah um, you can gush about ben being tough and all as biased fans but i think this sums up the way he handles his own injuries best:

"Does any elite player publicly disclose his injuries more readily than Ben Roethlisberger?" asked SI's Jim Trotter before we could.

That's a rhetorical question because we know the answer. Roethlisberger seems to find extra motivation by letting everyone know what a badass he is. Like Ed Reed threatening retirement, fans know not to take the news too seriously.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82afe1c3/article/training-camp-buzz-ben-roethlisberger-knows-drama

we get it. you play hurt ben. we love you for it, but seriously its getting old. and you actually do look like a drama queen at this point

X-Terminator
08-02-2012, 08:56 AM
Yeah well, when someone criticizes Bill Belichick for listing Marsha as probable with a "shoulder problem" every week for about 2 seasons, then I will gladly criticize Ben for being a perceived "drama queen." Until then, everyone can just shove it.

Psycho Ward 86
08-02-2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah well, when someone criticizes Bill Belichick for listing Marsha as probable with a "shoulder problem" every week for about 2 seasons, then I will gladly criticize Ben for being a perceived "drama queen." Until then, everyone can just shove it.

that's by far the worst one lol

Nadroj 20
08-02-2012, 10:06 AM

So just because we don't give a crap about another teams coach and only care about our team and the way OUR QB comes off as a drama queen we can shove it?

Chidi29
08-02-2012, 11:13 AM
yeah um, you can gush about ben being tough and all as biased fans but i think this sums up the way he handles his own injuries best:

"Does any elite player publicly disclose his injuries more readily than Ben Roethlisberger?" asked SI's Jim Trotter before we could.

That's a rhetorical question because we know the answer. Roethlisberger seems to find extra motivation by letting everyone know what a badass he is. Like Ed Reed threatening retirement, fans know not to take the news too seriously.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82afe1c3/article/training-camp-buzz-ben-roethlisberger-knows-drama

we get it. you play hurt ben. we love you for it, but seriously its getting old. and you actually do look like a drama queen at this point

He didn't say anything for 9 months. If he wanted to be a drama queen, he would have said something the day after it happened.

Nadroj 20
08-02-2012, 11:31 AM
He didn't say anything for 9 months. If he wanted to be a drama queen, he would have said something the day after it happened.

I'm not saying this is the case but with some people they want the world to know they have went this long with an injury. Almost like they are bragging.

Like I said that may not be what Ben is doing, but I also can't sit here and say it's absolutely crazy if someone were to think this.

SMR
08-02-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm not saying this is the case but with some people they want the world to know they have went this long with an injury. Almost like they are bragging.

Like I said that may not be what Ben is doing, but I also can't sit here and say it's absolutely crazy if someone were to think this.

I agreee with you on this. I personally think Ben should not have mentioned the injury at all. It was NOT necessary in the least bit.

X-Terminator
08-02-2012, 08:42 PM
So just because we don't give a crap about another teams coach and only care about our team and the way OUR QB comes off as a drama queen we can shove it?

My point is why is everyone so freaking up in arms about it? Who cares what other people think? It's a complete non-issue being drummed up once again by our wonderful media, and you guys are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

Nadroj 20
08-02-2012, 09:06 PM
My point is why is everyone so freaking up in arms about it? Who cares what other people think? It's a complete non-issue being drummed up once again by our wonderful media, and you guys are falling for it hook, line and sinker.

The media can't use what isn't said. That would be libel.

I'm the type of person that never liked saying he was hurt. I told who I needed to tell, coaches and parents, and that was it. Any of my teammates or outside people asked I simply said I'll be back as soon as possible. I hated people feeling sorry for me or trying to "take care" of me. It also didn't help that I had teammates annoucing to everyone if they had so much as a hang nail...

So from my perspective Ben talks about being hurt quite a bit and I'm sorry but I do not think you can dispute that. Is it THAT big a deal? Not really. But I understand it being annoying from experience.

My biggest thing is that this indeed could develop into a more serious injury. An already injured rotator cuff won't be able to take the same punishment as a healthy one. Doesn't mean anything will happen, but a tear is a tear and when I hear the word tear I'm at least a little concerned. Like I said earlier, doesn't matter how tough someone is if he tears a ligament, tendon, or whatever the rotator cuff technically is, he's sitting out for awhile post surgery.

Hopefully this doesn't amount to a thing and it isn't that big a deal though.

X-Terminator
08-02-2012, 10:06 PM
The media can't use what isn't said. That would be libel.

I'm the type of person that never liked saying he was hurt. I told who I needed to tell, coaches and parents, and that was it. Any of my teammates or outside people asked I simply said I'll be back as soon as possible. I hated people feeling sorry for me or trying to "take care" of me. It also didn't help that I had teammates annoucing to everyone if they had so much as a hang nail...

So from my perspective Ben talks about being hurt quite a bit and I'm sorry but I do not think you can dispute that. Is it THAT big a deal? Not really. But I understand it being annoying from experience.

My biggest thing is that this indeed could develop into a more serious injury. An already injured rotator cuff won't be able to take the same punishment as a healthy one. Doesn't mean anything will happen, but a tear is a tear and when I hear the word tear I'm at least a little concerned. Like I said earlier, doesn't matter how tough someone is if he tears a ligament, tendon, or whatever the rotator cuff technically is, he's sitting out for awhile post surgery.

Hopefully this doesn't amount to a thing and it isn't that big a deal though.

OK, I can definitely respect that. Honestly, I wish he didn't say anything either but that's because he's putting a bulls-eye on him and that shoulder. I'm just not going to get all up in arms about what the media says about anything. They have one objective, and that's to get hits and ratings, and if it means exaggerating something a bit, they'll do it.

Chidi29
08-02-2012, 10:25 PM
Blame the national media for the reaction. Apparently, the local guys knew about it and didn't figure it was worth reporting (though now it suddenly has become worthwhile...)