PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Roethlisberger not worried about 'little' tear in rotator cuff

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Ben Roethlisberger does not seem as concerned about his "little torn rotator cuff" in his right arm, nor as worried about the new offense and turning 30, as he is eager to see Mike Wallace rejoin the Steelers in training camp.

Toward that end, Roethlisbeger has spoken regularly with Wallace since camp opened and even told Steelers president Art Rooney that first day at Saint Vincent College that he would fly to Louisiana to talk to his top receiver if he thought it was a good idea. He did not.

"I've tried to be proactive and talk to Mike," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette today. "I just want to encourage him, let him know we love him, he's a great teammate, he's a great friend.

"We just want him to get here as soon as he can. Obviously, this is a business and he has to do what's best for him. I don't know what's going on or what's offered. But I just want Mike to be happy and I want him to be here because he's a great asset to the team."

Wallace skipped all the team's spring workouts and has stayed away from training camp. He received no offers as a restricted free agent this year after the Steelers tendered him a one-year, $2.742 million contract that remains on the table. They had been negotiating a multiple-year deal but that ended with his holdout. General manager Kevin Colbert said negotiations will not resume until he signs the one-year contract and reports to the team.

In his talks with Wallace, Roethlisberger has come to the conclusion that it will not be long now.

"I don't know what's going on with his agent or what they're telling each other, but he wants to be here," Roethlisberger said. "I believe he will be here and I think he'll be here soon."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-not-worried-about-little-tear-in-rotator-cuff-647119/#ixzz22KEHCX7I

Count Steeler
08-01-2012, 02:46 PM
So much for that reporter trying to call out Ben. Was it Cook? Here Ben has been talking with Wallace all along.

salamander
08-01-2012, 02:52 PM
All I saw was "Ben" and "tear in rotator cuff" at first and got scared there for a second.

tube517
08-01-2012, 03:00 PM
http://glueimg.s3.amazonaws.com/stickers/huge/drama_queen.png

:chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 03:29 PM
For the record, Roethlisberger likes the new offense and says he and Haley get along well -- and he does not believe his right arm will hold back that offense. It was injured in the Steelers Nov. 6 loss to Baltimore. He mentioned it in the spring but this is the first time he's publicly called it a rotator cuff tear. However, he says it feels fine, that his arm feels strong and that it should not hamper any of his throws.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-not-worried-about-little-tear-in-rotator-cuff-647119/#ixzz22KQNhp2J

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 03:44 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82afa1ce/article/ben-roethlisberger-reveals-torn-rotator-cuff?module=HP11_headline_stack

Chidi29
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
For the record, Roethlisberger likes the new offense and says he and Haley get along well -- and he does not believe his right arm will hold back that offense. It was injured in the Steelers Nov. 6 loss to Baltimore. He mentioned it in the spring but this is the first time he's publicly called it a rotator cuff tear. However, he says it feels fine, that his arm feels strong and that it should not hamper any of his throws.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/roethlisberger-not-worried-about-little-tear-in-rotator-cuff-647119/#ixzz22KQNhp2J

Any time there's a tear, I'm concerned. A small tear could turn into a big one just like that.

shutdown
08-01-2012, 03:48 PM
Just Ben being Ben....

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 04:11 PM
I say the Steelers rest him and keep it eye on him. No need to play him and it get worse.

stillers4me
08-01-2012, 04:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/1overreact.gif

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 05:25 PM
Any time there's a tear, I'm concerned. A small tear could turn into a big one just like that.

This. Its better to rest it now then to continue to practice on it. He can rehab it without surgery, but if it gets any worse, he'll probably need surgery which would hurt us big time.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 05:26 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/sueincinci/1overreact.gif

I wouldn't exactly say he's overreacting. These injuries can ruin an athletes' career and I've seen it happen a couple of times.

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 05:36 PM
When asked if Roethlisberger's supposed rotator cuff injury is a concern, Mike Tomlin said "None."

https://twitter.com/mikebires/status/230781212430565376

Nadroj 20
08-01-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't care how tough Ben is, if he tears his rotator cuff he's done for the season. A little tear can gradually turn into a big one.

stillers4me
08-01-2012, 06:10 PM
I wouldn't exactly say he's overreacting. These injuries can ruin an athletes' career and I've seen it happen a couple of times.

No, the media and the fans. It happened last November. He played the rest of the season with it.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 06:24 PM
No, the media and the fans. It happened last November. He played the rest of the season with it.

O okay, one more thing... It happened all the way back in November?!?!? I wish this would have been fixed in the offseason then.

SteelGhost
08-01-2012, 06:48 PM
I HOPE this isn't a serious injury, we don't have a good backup QB IMHO :doh:

Carolina Steelers
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
O okay, one more thing... It happened all the way back in November?!?!? I wish this would have been fixed in the offseason then.

Yea this!! I neverunderstand when athletes come back to camp then they get surgery or need it.

zulater
08-01-2012, 07:11 PM
It's a golf injury. :lol:

zulater
08-01-2012, 07:13 PM
"I'm good. It's OK, just sore," he said when asked about his arm injury. "I have a little torn rotator cuff. That doesn't heal. We just have to hope it doesn't tear the rest of the way, according to Doc," he said, laughing.

After practice, coach Mike Tomlin said there was no concern about Roethlisberger's arm and he is not limited in making any throws. But Roethlisberger said he does take some precautions before practice, and not just because of the injury.

"It's part of getting older, too. If you watch walk-throughs, I used to throw all the time. Now it's just backing off. Now I don't ever throw during walk-throughs. It's less throwing; I think that's smart anyway. As you get older, you just need to take care of yourself whether you're hurt or not."

Suddenly, even the soreness seemed to disappear.

"It actually feels great,'' Roethlisberger said. "I don't have any pains anymore. Let's just hope it doesn't get any worse."

:doh:

86WARD
08-01-2012, 07:30 PM
I don't care how tough Ben is, if he tears his rotator cuff he's done for the season. A little tear can gradually turn into a big one.

yep...a little bit worried...

vader29
08-01-2012, 07:50 PM
If it is just a minor tear and he says it's not bothering him, I wouldn't worry about. Having unnecessary surgery could turn out worse than leaving it heal on it's own. I had a partially torn rotator cuff a few years ago and it is the worst pain I've ever been in, the first week there were nights where I only got maybe an hour sleep even with pain meds. I had my arm in a sling for 3 weeks and after that it was 3 weeks of rehab to get the use of it back and I was thankful that I didn't have to have surgery on it.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
08-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm glad drama queen isn't concerned about his shoulder, but really did he need to let the whole league know about it? Can you say bulls eye.

tube517
08-01-2012, 08:19 PM
It's a golf injury. :lol:

Trying to beat Haley. :rofl2:

zulater
08-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Earlier Wednesday during an interview, Roethlisberger mentioned “a little torn rotator cuff” injury in the shoulder of his right, throwing arm. Any time Roethliserger is hurt, it's big news, and so news of this shoulder injury circulated throughout training camp like wildfire.
As it turned out, it was an injury the Steelers quarterback suffered last year in a Nov. 6 home loss to Baltimore. Even though he was hampered and missed one game due to an ankle injury later in the 2011 season, never was his shoulder a factor.
“It was only a partial tear,” he said. “We worked hard to get it right, and I never missed any playing time. No surgery. There weren’t any injections. Nothing but simple rehab.
“You didn’t see any drop-off in me throwing the ball last year and you haven’t seen any yet this year. It’s a non-issue. It happened so long ago. Seriously, it’s a non-issue. I’m just fine.”
Roethlisberger, 30, did say that while he’s making all the throws he has to make at camp, he is throwing the ball less.
“I take less throws at camp, one because of that (rotator cuff tear from last year) and two because, I am getting a little bit older," he said. "I may as well save my arm a little bit.”
When asked twice if he had any concerns about Roethlisberger’s shoulder, coach Mike Tomlin said, “None,” both times.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-scare-ben-s-arm-is-fine/article_fb2a7ed5-37fb-5dac-aaf1-f21f42ff451d.html

43Hitman
08-01-2012, 11:22 PM
This is one of very few problems I have with Ben. If its not a big deal, then why he even brought it up is beyond me. As usual he makes a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to his "injuries".

steelreserve
08-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Yea this!! I neverunderstand when athletes come back to camp then they get surgery or need it.

My understanding is it's a full-year thing, so if you have surgery in the offseason, you're missing the next season, plus there's no guarantee you'll ever be the same. Basically you cross your fingers that nothing will happen, and if it does, see if you can fix it.

This does not sound good at all to me. Not in the omg we're screwed, he's gunna collapse on the field in week 6 way, but like ... someday a couple years from now, this could be ugly.

Nadroj 20
08-01-2012, 11:55 PM
My understanding is it's a full-year thing, so if you have surgery in the offseason, you're missing the next season, plus there's no guarantee you'll ever be the same. Basically you cross your fingers that nothing will happen, and if it does, see if you can fix it.

This does not sound good at all to me. Not in the omg we're screwed, he's gunna collapse on the field in week 6 way, but like ... someday a couple years from now, this could be ugly.

Exactly. Scar tissue can be terrible to deal with.

zulater
08-02-2012, 05:10 AM
This is one of very few problems I have with Ben. If its not a big deal, then why he even brought it up is beyond me. As usual he makes a mountain out of a mole hill when it comes to his "injuries".

Doctor: Ben you have tonsilitis, I'm afraid they're gonna have to come out.

6 weeks after tonsils have been removed.

Ben: I had a tumor in my throat, but I'm feeling better now.

43Hitman
08-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Doctor: Ben you have tonsilitis, I'm afraid their gonna have to come out.

6 weeks after tonsils have been removed.

Ben: I had a tumor in my throat, but I'm feeling better now.

Exactly. :chuckle: At least the media won't be worried about how old and slow we are any more.