PDA

View Full Version : What is the most special Steelers Super Bowl victory to you?

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 08:44 PM
What is everyone's most special Super Bowl victory to you? I personally feel that Super Bowl IX was the most special because it was our first one they were in and won. Franco Harris set the Super Bowl rushing record at that time, Terry Bradshaw finally earned the trust of fans, and Art finally got a championship. However, I feel that Super Bowl XIII was the best Steelers Super Bowl because that game had everything, offense, defense, special teams, turnovers, sacks, everything imaginable to make a game exciting. So, whats your most special Steelers Super Bowl and why?

fansince'76
07-31-2012, 08:51 PM
Super Bowl XIV - back and forth game, and Stallworth coming to the rescue when Swann left the game with an injury. Didn't realize at the time I'd have to wait 26 years to see them win another one.

polamalubeast
07-31-2012, 08:53 PM
I watch the NFL since 2001....It's a tough question, since each super bowl is special

I would give advantage to 2005, as it did long time that Steelers had not not win a super bowl and I was very happy for Bettis and Cowher since they deserved to win a super bowl, after some heartbreaking loss...Also, it was special to win three games on the road...Of course, it was also special in 2008

The season of 2004 and 2010 was also a very special season even if the steelers have not win the super bowl

Nadroj 20
07-31-2012, 08:59 PM
Superbowl XL. I was a freshman in high school and since it was the first Steelers SB victory I witnessed it will always be special to me.

tube517
07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
SB XIII

Beating the Crygirls twice in the same decade for all the marbles was a great feeling. All the Cryboys fans in my block were crying while I wore my Steelers jacket proudly to school. Plus, it was an epic match of the 2 best teams in the 70s.

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 09:02 PM
Superbowl XL. I was a freshman in high school and since it was the first Steelers SB victory I witnessed it will always be special to me.

I was a sophomore in high school. I can remember watching both XL and XLIII. They both are very special, I mean there all special in some shape or form. I'm glad to see the quick responses! :tt02:

tube517
07-31-2012, 09:02 PM

I was a sophomore in high school. I can remember watching both XL and XLIII. They both are very special, I mean there all special in some shape or form. I'm glad to see the quick responses!

Thanks for making me feel old......:old: :chuckle:

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 09:04 PM

Hey, I feel old being only twenty-one.

Nadroj 20
07-31-2012, 09:05 PM
I was a sophomore in high school. I can remember watching both XL and XLIII. They both are very special, I mean there all special in some shape or form. I'm glad to see the quick responses! :tt02:

Right! But since we weren't alive during the 70's its harder to appericate those 4 as much as the two we got to see :lol:

Edman
07-31-2012, 09:08 PM
Super Bowl XL.

Coming hot off the heels of the previous year, I was seriously heartbroken for the 2004 team. I remember not wanting to get up the next morning when that team lost. I wasn't around in the 70's, so it was the first time I ever saw the Steelers win it all. Living through all of those AFC Championship losses, a big weight was taken off of that team's shoulders. Cowher especially. I was a Junior in HS.

XLIII is right behind it, followed by 2004 and 2010.

Nadroj 20
07-31-2012, 09:12 PM

:chuckle: my bad!

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 09:15 PM
Right! But since we weren't alive during the 70's its harder to appericate those 4 as much as the two we got to see :lol:

I have the DVD collection that has the original broadcast of the first five Super Bowl victories so I've seen them all. I wish I could travel back in time just once to see the Steelers play in the seventies.

vader29
07-31-2012, 10:33 PM
Super Bowl XL for me with the way they got there on the road and in that Super Bowl Willie Parker's 75 yard run and Randel El's td pass to Hines Ward are plays that I will always remember.

GBMelBlount
07-31-2012, 10:50 PM
Super Bowl XL for me with the way they got there on the road and in that Super Bowl Willie Parker's 75 yard run and Randel El's td pass to Hines Ward are plays that I will always remember.

Ditto

Psycho Ward 86
07-31-2012, 11:20 PM
Superbowl XLIII. I saw every superbowl prior to that one on a since deleted steeler fans youtube page, but it just isnt the same unless you watch the action as it unfolds. We faced so many obstacles, and the team had so many features familiar of the Steelers of the 70's. We had the league's toughest schedule, the most 4th quarter/OT come-from-behind victories of any QB in the league since 2004 in Big Ben (at the time, although he might still hold that title), and a rare display of defensive juggernaut that holds some water as one of the best ever. Two of the greatest plays of ALL TIME, not just in the superbowl either. That season was all about overcoming adversity. XL was probably more emotional for the older folks for so many obvious reasons but i dont think im one of you old fogeys :lol:.

X-Terminator
07-31-2012, 11:39 PM
XL, because it's the first one I actually got to see. I was just a toddler when they won their 4 in the 1970s.

Count Steeler
08-01-2012, 04:54 AM
For me it was XIII, beating the Cowboys for the second time was a special treat because they were the darlings of the media.

Butch
08-01-2012, 05:43 AM
Loved Superbowl X because it was symbolic to me...my birthday is 10/10 and it was a great game with Swannie's MVP performance. It was also the 1st time that the team that scored 1st didn't win.

While X was Special XLIII was magical, as PsychoWard stated we had the toughest schedule, and had so many come from behind victories. On top of that we got to XLIII thanks to 43's int. of joe flacco. The game itself was topsy turvy. Harrison's run will live forever in Superbowl lore. The offense sputtered late in the game and that lead to a safety and the eventual go ahead touchdown to Fitz. Then with just over 2 minutes to go Ben and the offense came to life but only after going backwards on the 1st play. Santonio and Ben were hitting on all cylinders and then Ben threw a perfect pass and Santonio dropped it only to redeem himself the very next play. The D sealed the deal with a woodley strip sack and then let the celebration begin!!!

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 10:29 AM
You know, I'm pretty surprised that most people feel our worst Super Bowl victory and the most controversial is the most memorable so far.

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 10:43 AM
You know, I'm pretty surprised that most people feel our worst Super Bowl victory and the most controversial is the most memorable so far.

I do not care what other people think!...The fan who whining, are often the teams that are without ring!

dislocatedday
08-01-2012, 10:51 AM
Up until SB XLIII, I would have said the first one I watched as a kid which was SB XIII. That was the most exciting game I believe out of all them. However, Super Bowl XLIII is the most special to me for personal reasons. My father, who grew up in Pittsburgh and raised me as a Pittsburgh sports fan, was getting towards the end of his battle with brain cancer in 2009. He managed to stay alive long enough to watch the Steelers march through the playoffs in early 2009 and ultimately win Super Bowl XLIII. I am so happy that one of his last memories was the Steelers claiming their sixth title, and that we were able to watch the Steelers beat the Ravens in the AFC championship game together.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 11:45 AM
I do not care what other people think!...The fan who whining, are often the teams that are without ring!

That is true. I don't think Seahawks fans will ever let Super Bowl XL go...

Steeldude
08-01-2012, 01:38 PM
I chose 14. It was a difficult decision to make. I would have liked to have chosen all of the SB victories in the 70s

tube517
08-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Super Bowl XIV - back and forth game, and Stallworth coming to the rescue when Swann left the game with an injury. Didn't realize at the time I'd have to wait 26 years to see them win another one.

That one ranked up there. I had a feeling it was going to be their last. The defense was getting old and Bradshaw was throwing so many INTs that season. They were good enough to overcome most of their high amount of TOs that year. And that 35-7 drubbing by San Diego in the regular season spelled doom for the future.

suitanim
08-01-2012, 03:24 PM
I voted XL, but, truth be told, it was actually the AFC divisional preceding it.

Yep. That's right. The most special Steelers game for me personally isn't even a Super Bowl.

The first 4 are out for me because I was just too young to understand all the ramifications. Not that I don't appreciate them, especially with a keen retrospective eye for how important they were for the franchise, the league, the city and all the fans. But they just lacked the personal feel that one gets from watching every snap of every game from preseason game 1 through the Championship. I even went to training camp in 2005.

But the biggest game for me was the AFC divisional in Indianapolis. We were MASSIVE underdogs. We had already got our asses kicked there once earlier that year. Manning was at the top of his game. NOBODY gave us a chance. I was at the local sports bar and the casual fans were very publicly mocking us Steelers fans and dismissing the team. I live in Browns Country, and all I heard all week was how horrible it was going to be for us.

And we kicked the shit out of the Colts.

I believe it was 28-3 at the half. EVERYONE was in shock, and, to be honest, when I say everyone, I mean everyone, even us Steelers fans. But there was just this feeling that washed over me, something indescribable, a feeling of esprit de corps, of long-sought-after success finally being attainable after years of frustrated "almost's" and near-misses. The guys on those teams in the 70's used to talk about how they just knew they were going to win. It was unspoken, but they KNEW. I felt like that, even if it was just for a few hours. Maybe it had something to do with the fact that a lot of the sports teams I played on were either terrible or, at best mediocre, but at that moment, I not only understood what they meant, I FELT it. It was an amazing feeling.

Anyway, that was my apotheosis as a Steeler fan. I don't expect to feel it again, but I hold out hope that maybe I will, either in a sports fan capacity or otherwise. But, even if I just got that one taste, I wonder how many other people never even sniff a whiff of something like that? And I realize I should be happy I was one of the lucky ones.

Chidi29
08-01-2012, 03:29 PM
Picked the first even if I wasn't alive to witness it (have watched the game on Youtube though). For a franchise that was considered to be the "lovable losers" for the first 40 years of their existence, the team got the monkey off its back. The Chief and the city were presented what was long overdue. And we've never looked back since then.

SteelGhost
08-01-2012, 07:07 PM
XIII for me, I still have goosebumps everytime I watch it. Beating the Cryboys for the 2nd. time was priceless.

mark0933
08-01-2012, 08:29 PM
For me it was the last one. Purely personal reasons - we were in the Dominican on vacation, our resort was European based so thought we would be happy watching in a smoke filled room with 2 24" TV's. My wife and I invaded the resort next door, watched on a large projection screen on the beach, we just wanted to watch, but when the waiter asked if he could get us anything, we just couldn't help ourselves...free beer, beach and Steelers fans all around, we will never forget it.

fansince'76
08-02-2012, 03:23 AM

Agreed. XL was a HORRIBLY played game by both teams.

fansince'76
08-02-2012, 03:24 AM
That one ranked up there. I had a feeling it was going to be their last. The defense was getting old and Bradshaw was throwing so many INTs that season. They were good enough to overcome most of their high amount of TOs that year. And that 35-7 drubbing by San Diego in the regular season spelled doom for the future.

Yeah, but when you're 12 years old, you don't see the warts or the handwriting on the wall.

gosteelers
08-02-2012, 07:43 AM
The first, after watching the steelers stuggle in th 50's and 60's and 70's until the final whistle of that first super bowl victory.

Lou Donny
08-02-2012, 09:58 AM
Super Bowl XL....maybe not the easiest on the eyes...but by finally getting over the hump it re-established the Steelers

Kaeg
08-03-2012, 04:32 PM
I picked XL, but it was really a toss up between XL and XLIII. XL was the first one I got to actually watch and I loved the road warrior thing and Bettis going "home". But XLIII was a bit more dramatic and we didn't have it won until the end. Very exciting. I'll go with witnessing (for me) the 1st win.

polamalubeast
08-03-2012, 10:52 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCeZHMt-Ous&feature=related