PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Saunders still fighting to have suspension reversed

zulater
07-31-2012, 05:17 AM
LATROBE – Weslye Saunders doesn’t believe he did anything wrong to warrant a four-game suspension. He can only hope the NFL agrees.
A reserve tight end for the Steelers, Saunders was punished in February when he failed a drug test. He was deemed guilty of violating the league’s performance-enhancing substance policy.
But the drug in question was Adderall, a stimulant often used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Adderall is also known as a “study drug” often used by students who want to focus and stay awake while cramming.
Saunders, a second-year pro who’s vying for the backup job behind Heath Miller, has already appealed his case to the NFL once but was denied. But he has since tested the appeal process again and hopes to either have the suspension overturned or at least reduced.
“I’m hopeful Commissioner (Roger) Goodell will lighten up on me,” said Saunders, who claims he didn’t know Adderall was illegal in the eyes of the NFL.
In May, Giants running back Andre Brown had his four-game suspension for using Adderall lifted. And Texans punter Brett Hartmann, who also tested positive for Adderall, had his four-game suspension reduced to three games.
“I don’t have any information regards to that,” coach Mike Tomlin said about Saunders’ second appeal.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-saunders-still-fighting-to-have-suspension-reversed/article_b870ee13-8a39-5f10-a67f-5ff7ec3a216a.html

If Saunders suspension isn't at least reduced it call's into question the arbitrary nature of Goodell's kangaroo court, and hopefully will aid in the defense of Jonathan Vilma and the Saint's players suing the league.

Pristas
07-31-2012, 07:41 AM
I agree Zu. The power they granted Goodell in the new CBA is a travesty. What is the correct sentence for such a thing? First offense, 4 games. Appeal from the NY guy, case dropped. Appeal from the Texan, dropped to three games. Appeal from the Burgh, yeah right.

zulater
07-31-2012, 06:18 PM
I agree Zu. The power they granted Goodell in the new CBA is a travesty. What is the correct sentence for such a thing? First offense, 4 games. Appeal from the NY guy, case dropped. Appeal from the Texan, dropped to three games. Appeal from the Burgh, yeah right.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't received more notice for the very point you just made Pristas.

Count Steeler
07-31-2012, 06:55 PM
I guess we know that common sense and punishment for like offenses just don't go hand in hand with Mr. Goodell. How can 1 guy get 4 games dropped and the other one only dropped to 3. No surprise that the Steeler's offense is unforgivable.

To be fair, though, I don't know if there were other circumstances in those cases that we are not being told about.

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm kinda surprised there isn't talk of him being traded or released.

steelreserve
08-01-2012, 01:01 PM
If Saunders suspension isn't at least reduced it call's into question the arbitrary nature of Goodell's kangaroo court, and hopefully will aid in the defense of Jonathan Vilma and the Saint's players suing the league.

As if there haven't been about 1,000 things before this that called it into question?

zulater
08-01-2012, 02:12 PM

Why? I gather the Steelers like him and think potentially he could be a quality NFL tight end.

Chidi29
08-01-2012, 03:43 PM
Who is hearing the appeals? Goodell or Shell/Cotrell? We have to determine that first.

Plus, regardless of who it is, it doesn't mean that all the others have to be overturned. Just like in any court case, two similar charges can yield different results. We can't complain because we know nothing about the details of each particular case.

Yet again, people are looking for the first chance they get to jump on Goodell.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 04:13 PM
Why? I gather the Steelers like him and think potentially he could be a quality NFL tight end.

Yet, he's used a drug that he doesn't need to use for any reason whatsoever. He used a drug that is illegal under NFL rules.

zulater
08-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Yet, he's used a drug that he doesn't need to use for any reason whatsoever. He used a drug that is illegal under NFL rules.

So? Should the Steelers have cut Hines Ward after his DUI last year?

The guy made a mistake. If he's good enough of a player to help the team during the season why in the world should the Steelers cut him?

bayz101
08-02-2012, 06:14 AM

The guy made a mistake. If he's good enough of a player to help the team during the season why in the world should the Steelers cut him?

I agree. He messed up, but I thinks he deserves to redeem himself.

steelerdude15
08-02-2012, 07:07 AM

So you're telling me it's okay to use drugs that are illegal under NFL rules and he didn't need to use in the first place? And for Hines, he was an idiot for drinking and driving. He shouldn't have put himself in that situation just like Saunders did.

zulater
08-02-2012, 07:21 AM
So you're telling me it's okay to use drugs that are illegal under NFL rules and he didn't need to use in the first place? And for Hines, he was an idiot for drinking and driving. He shouldn't have put himself in that situation just like Saunders did.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any punishment. I'm saying 4 games is too harsh. Also I'm pointing out that the NFL seems to have a moving bar when it comes to applying discipline for using adderal without a prescription. There needs to be consistency or an explanation on the league's part on this imo.

And you're suggestion that the Steelers should cut him over it is absurd. It's real simple. He made a mistake. But as mistakes go, this isn't earth shattering. He took a pill he wasn't supposed to. A pill that about 1/4 of boys under 18 take regularly by doctors consent. So how fucking bad can it be?

Do you realize about 80% of the players in the HOF took illegal pills of some form or other? Greenies, bennies, Dianabol, Winstrol, vicoden, oxycontin etc... Speaking of which, by your standards the Packers should have cut Brett Favre when his addiction to pain killers was revealed.

It's a non starter. He screwed up, but he shouldn't lose his Steelers career over it. The only thing at this point that should dictate that is whether he's better than the other guys on the depth chart or not.

steelerdude15
08-02-2012, 12:13 PM
I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any punishment. I'm saying 4 games is too harsh. Also I'm pointing out that the NFL seems to have a moving bar when it comes to applying discipline for using adderal without a prescription. There needs to be consistency or an explanation on the league's part on this imo.

And you're suggestion that the Steelers should cut him over it is absurd. It's real simple. He made a mistake. But as mistakes go, this isn't earth shattering. He took a pill he wasn't supposed to. A pill that about 1/4 of boys under 18 take regularly by doctors consent. So how fucking bad can it be?

Do you realize about 80% of the players in the HOF took illegal pills of some form or other? Greenies, bennies, Dianabol, Winstrol, vicoden, oxycontin etc... Speaking of which, by your standards the Packers should have cut Brett Favre when his addiction to pain killers was revealed.

It's a non starter. He screwed up, but he shouldn't lose his Steelers career over it. The only thing at this point that should dictate that is whether he's better than the other guys on the depth chart or not.

One, I do agree that the punishments handed out by Goodell are way too inconsistent and I've been calling for consistency for a long time.

Two, it wasn't prescribed to him which does make it bad. Its illegal to take pills that are not prescribed to you.

Three, I'm highly aware that players took drugs and I think its a damn shame. There's no reason to use drugs unless its alcohol. On top of that people, people should used alcohol responsibly.

zulater
08-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Two, it wasn't prescribed to him which does make it bad. Its illegal to take pills that are not prescribed to you.

No argument here. Again he deserves something in the form of punishment.

Now let's get to where our positions separate paths.
Here's an earlier quote from you.

The Steelers apparently see him as a potential asset to this team. He's going to be given a chance to earn a roster spot based on how he performs in practices and preseason games from now until the final roster is formulated.

Will the fact that he's going to be suspended the first four games of the season weigh into the equation? Possibly. But I don't think t will be the determining factor unless they see him sliding through waivers. I don't think he would. And I don't think they want him to be claimed. Therefore I think if he earns a roster spot this month he'll still be a Steelers once his league mandated suspension is over. And I think he's deserving of that chance.

Pristas
08-02-2012, 01:04 PM
Who is hearing the appeals? Goodell or Shell/Cotrell? We have to determine that first.

Plus, regardless of who it is, it doesn't mean that all the others have to be overturned. Just like in any court case, two similar charges can yield different results. We can't complain because we know nothing about the details of each particular case.

Yet again, people are looking for the first chance they get to jump on Goodell.

What you're missing is that it doesn't matter what the "behind the scenes" details are. The facts as presented to the public from the Commish are that there were three identical infractions, with three different punishments. It does fall on Goodell's shoulders, unless he comes out and says "I didn't have anything to do with the punishments". What is the public to believe when they don't back up these punishments, or lack thereof, with reasons for them? All we, the fans, are left with is a shitty feeling courtesy of Roger Goodell. Unless you're a Giants fan, in which case, your player got a slap on the wrist. Maybe it's the lack of communication that is the problem between the NFL Commissioners office and the public, and that is reason enough for me to not like the man or his minions.

Or maybe creating drama for the largest fanbase in the NFL is exactly what the commissioner wants. Look at it this way, if we are always on the short end of the stick (see Harrison's suspension, Ben's Broken nose, Saunders Suspension), then we have drama, and TV loves drama, and Steelers fans love drama. We live in the drama that is the Pittsburgh Steelers. We talk about it non-stop on internet forums. Goodell is just kindling our drama fire. So who is the fool here? Goodell, the brains that has created the circus TV show side act that is your modern NFL, or us for tolerating all the horseshit?

Chidi29
08-02-2012, 01:40 PM
What you're missing is that it doesn't matter what the "behind the scenes" details are. The facts as presented to the public from the Commish are that there were three identical infractions, with three different punishments. It does fall on Goodell's shoulders, unless he comes out and says "I didn't have anything to do with the punishments". What is the public to believe when they don't back up these punishments, or lack thereof, with reasons for them? All we, the fans, are left with is a shitty feeling courtesy of Roger Goodell. Unless you're a Giants fan, in which case, your player got a slap on the wrist. Maybe it's the lack of communication that is the problem between the NFL Commissioners office and the public, and that is reason enough for me to not like the man or his minions.

Or maybe creating drama for the largest fanbase in the NFL is exactly what the commissioner wants. Look at it this way, if we are always on the short end of the stick (see Harrison's suspension, Ben's Broken nose, Saunders Suspension), then we have drama, and TV loves drama, and Steelers fans love drama. We live in the drama that is the Pittsburgh Steelers. We talk about it non-stop on internet forums. Goodell is just kindling our drama fire. So who is the fool here? Goodell, the brains that has created the circus TV show side act that is your modern NFL, or us for tolerating all the horseshit?

Uh, yeah, the behind the scenes matter a lot. All we know is that they've all taken Adderal. Taking Adderal is not illegal if you follow the proper protocol to let the league know you're taking it. Who knows what the specifics of each situation is and the league has no responsibility to divulge that information.

And if it isn't Goodell on the appeals, then there's nothing to complain to him about from your standpoint. By your logic, they all got in trouble for the same thing and all received the same suspension (4 games). It's other people on the appeals end of it.

You think this is the drama Goodell wants? You think he needs the extra drama in the middle of bounty-gate and the ref lockout? You're crazy.

Pristas
08-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Uh, yeah, the behind the scenes matter a lot. All we know is that they've all taken Adderal. Taking Adderal is not illegal if you follow the proper protocol to let the league know you're taking it. Who knows what the specifics of each situation is and the league has no responsibility to divulge that information.

And if it isn't Goodell on the appeals, then there's nothing to complain to him about from your standpoint. By your logic, they all got in trouble for the same thing and all received the same suspension (4 games). It's other people on the appeals end of it.

You think this is the drama Goodell wants? You think he needs the extra drama in the middle of bounty-gate and the ref lockout? You're crazy.

Yeah, that was a little too "conspiracy theorist". Ha! But I still say that if the fans are put off by what we see, they should at least try to disclose some form of reasoning for their decisions. No sense in ticking off the people buying the tickets. If they came out and said that the circumstances involved with the Saunders case was unique and warranted a more strict judgment, then most people would be happy with that. Without that we are in a state of trust that they are doing the right thing. And as a Steelers fan, I would say they have broken that trust with me.

atlsteelers
08-02-2012, 02:50 PM

Well since you are not his doctor, you are just guesing that he does not need it. He may have been prescribed it for his entire life or portions of it, who knows, you certianly do not? If he is hoping that the appeal will result in a reduction or will be dismissed he most likely does have presciption for the drug. Our running back jonathan dwyer takes adderall or a similar drug, if you remeber he failed a drug test at the combine.

I like the kid and i hope the suspension is reduced or better yet dismissed.

Chidi29
08-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Yeah, that was a little too "conspiracy theorist". Ha! But I still say that if the fans are put off by what we see, they should at least try to disclose some form of reasoning for their decisions. No sense in ticking off the people buying the tickets. If they came out and said that the circumstances involved with the Saunders case was unique and warranted a more strict judgment, then most people would be happy with that. Without that we are in a state of trust that they are doing the right thing. And as a Steelers fan, I would say they have broken that trust with me.

It's reasonable to assume that if the appeals' result is different, the cases were different too. Or at least, the way they were presented. Tons of variables go into it. And that's a whole lot simpler than thinking Goodell has it out for the Steelers.

Again, who is the hearing officer for the appeals? Do you know Pristas?

steelerdude15
08-02-2012, 02:55 PM
Well since you are not his doctor, you are just guesing that he does not need it. He may have been prescribed it for his entire life or portions of it, who knows, you certianly do not? If he is hoping that the appeal will result in a reduction or will be dismissed he most likely does have presciption for the drug. Our running back jonathan dwyer takes adderall or a similar drug, if you remeber he failed a drug test at the combine.
Then explain to me why we haven't seen one thing of evidence supporting this claim. There isn't a single piece of evidence that shows he had a prescription for it. He hasn't come out and said he had to use it as a prescription and you would think that someone who is trying to clear their name, would come out and say he was using it as a prescription. Unless he's being advised not to say he had it for a prescription, I'm taking it that he took it just to use it for whatever reason.