PDA

View Full Version : Inside the ropes: Johnson improving as blocker

stillers4me
07-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Tight end David Johnson might not catch a lot of passes, but he proved on Saturday he’s vastly improved as a blocker. Johnson, who had 12 receptions and a touchdown last season, was dominant at fullback during blocking drills back-on-backers drill. With Heath Miller sitting out practice, Johnson stole the spotlight.

• Cornerback Curtis Brown, who was slowed some by nagging hamstring injuries last season, was working hard to make an impression. He’s tried out both flanks and turned in some duty as the nickel back. But he was working overtime on special teams, where he excelled as a rookie with a team-high 15 tackles.

• With money comes responsibility, and WR Antonio Brown was challenged by coach Mike Tomlin to fire up the receiving corps. He did so by reeling in an acrobatic catch, one topped only by a twisting, diving grab on a come-back route by Emmanuel Sanders, who is working with the first team during Mike Wallace’s holdout............

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2266144-85/tomlin-johnson-drill-mike-season-working-drills-adams-backers-batch

Lou Donny
07-29-2012, 10:47 AM
DJ is an interesting guy...with his size/speed combo, you'd think he would excel at the blocking aspect of the FB position

Based on that size/speed (and in spite a set of slightly below ave. hands), I kinda always thought he would develop into a better weapon at TE tho too :noidea:

He seems like a great character guy and I root for him (this time of the year especially)

But now, Will Johnson comes to Latrobe and he brings with him even more athleticism than DJ

The battle between those two intrigues me...wonder if Will Johnson is practice squad eligible?

Wouldnt mind seeing Will groomed on the practice squad for a yr

GBMelBlount
07-29-2012, 12:01 PM
WR Antonio Brown was challenged by coach Mike Tomlin to fire up the receiving corps. He did so by reeling in an acrobatic catch, one topped only by a twisting, diving grab on a come-back route by Emmanuel Sanders, who is working with the first team during Mike Wallace’s holdout............

I would love to see the friendly competition between Brown and Sanders fully revived this year...

stillers4me
07-29-2012, 12:05 PM
I would love to see the friendly competition between Brown and Sanders fully revived this year...

Oh, yes!!