PDA

View Full Version : Pittsburgh Steelers daily digest: What if Leftwich starts season 4-0?

LLT
07-18-2010, 11:08 AM
Pittsburgh Steelers daily digest: What if Leftwich starts season 4-0?
July 18, 9:12
Pittsburgh Sports ExaminerMatt Pawlikowski

PITTSBURGH - The cat is out of the bag, so to speak as to who will be behind center come opening day for the Steelers.

Byron Leftwich.

"I'm not going to name a #1. Don't need to," Steeler coach Mike Tomlin told reporters after OTA's ended last month. " But I think how we've distributed reps is an indication of our mindset at this juncture."

During the 2008 season, he completed 21 of 36 attempts for 303 yards and two touchdowns with no interceptions for a 104.3 passer rating, in addition to rushing for one touchdown with the Steelers.

He obviously has the respect of Steeler offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. But it has been awhile since he posted his best stats, which was the 2004-05 season when he tossed for
2941 yards.

So what happens if this scenario arises?

Leftwich starts the season 4-0, there is continuity with the receivers, the offense is clicking on all cylinders and putting up big time points. Do the Steelers play Roethlisberger in the next game, if he is cleared by the league or wait for Leftwich to falter.

Only Steeler brass can answer that question, but its hard to imagine Roethlisberger not setting up behind center once he pays his dues. While his off field antics have been questionable at best, what he brings to the field is Hall of Fame material.

Some have brought up the Steelers of 1974 as a possible measuring stick. The greatest quarterback in Steeler history, Terry Bradshaw was benched to start the season.

The Steelers started Joe Gilliam, who led the team to a 4-1-1 slate. But Gilliam an 11th round pick with much promise faltered and Bradshaw regained the helm after getting his 'house in line'. All he did was lead the team to its first Super Bowl Championship.

As the Kenny Chesney song goes, some people change, and while the verdict is still out, I'm going to go out on a limb and say the suspension and fall from grace is wake up call for Roethlisberger.

Do I condone his past actions? Absolutely not. But like he told KDKA's Bob Pompiani, he was a kid, and suddenly became Big Ben, and suddenly had millions of dollars to play with. Things like that can change a person.

Is that an excuse? Again no.

But maybe the suspension, maybe the hit to his reputation as a person has finally sunk in, or maybe it was time with his family that gave him a new perspective on life.

"It's been neat to be able to really re-evaluate my life and spend time with my family," Roethlisberger said. "And to kind of re-evaluate and re-figure what's important in life and that's me, you know, that's evaluating what I need to do and be smarter when it comes to certain things."

With the recent additions to the Ravens and Bengals, along with the improvements the Browns have made, if the Steelers hope to get to the promised land again in 2010 and beyond, although Leftwich is a nice plug in, its Roethlisberger who needs to be behind center.

http://www.examiner.com/x-2703-Pittsburgh-Sports-Examiner~y2010m7d18-Pittsburgh-Steelers-daily-digest-What-if-Leftwich-starts-season-40

Shoes
07-18-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks LLT, I'm looking for Ben to have a great year. I think he will be super focused, fresh in the long haul because of the 4 game vacation...with a lot to prove!

SMR
07-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Thanks LLT, I'm looking for Ben to have a great year. I think he will be super focused, fresh in the long haul because of the 4 game vacation...with a lot to prove!

Yep, A LOT to prove (leadership behavior-wise, not stat-wise)!

Devilsdancefloor
07-18-2010, 12:05 PM
If we go 4-0 great, but i believe lefty knows he isnt the starter so there will be no problems. If we are 4-0 maybe ben will have to prove to his teammates he is just as good as lefty and we make the promise land

86WARD
07-18-2010, 12:33 PM
That would be awesome if Leftwich goes 4-0. That gives Ben a nice cushion and makes it a lot easier on him coming back and getting comfortable in the game situations...

polamalubeast
07-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Starting the season 4-0 would be the best scenario!

But I would go with Ben Roethliserger.

The steelers have the best chance to win the super bowl with Roethlisberger!

http://www.steelersonly.com/images/ben_roethlisberger_super_bowl.jpg

solardave
07-18-2010, 01:37 PM
Unless Ben comes back and gets hurt I say he starts game five. That is we are all assuming the suspension gets cut back.

Burghfan58
07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
I think he starts game five because of the bye week which will give him some extra time to get ready. The question is how long before he gets yanked if the team is struggling in that game?

SteelerEmpire
07-18-2010, 02:07 PM
If that senario plays out (Lefty goes 4-0) Ben will start game 5 (considering he doesn't get busted for public urination between now and then). If he comes in and starts screwing up, they will alternate between him and Lefty in games... only until Ben gets his swagger back...

siss
07-18-2010, 02:23 PM
Unless Ben comes back and gets hurt I say he starts game five. That is we are all assuming the suspension gets cut back.

Don't even suggest that! I should have your terrible towel for that!

HometownGal
07-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I am usually one that goes by the "don't fix what isn't broken" credo, but in this case, Ben is our franchise QB and Lefty knows that he is here to be Ben's backup. Besides - the last thing Ben needs right now while he is trying to get his head (the one on his shoulders :heh:) straight is a confidence buster. Ben's the man until injury or a return to random dickie-dunkin' forces him out.

siss
07-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I am usually one that goes by the "don't fix what isn't broken" credo, but in this case, Ben is our franchise QB and Lefty knows that he is here to be Ben's backup. Besides - the last thing Ben needs right now while he is trying to get his head (the one on his shoulders :heh:) straight is a confidence buster. Ben's the man until injury or a return to random dickie-dunkin' forces him out.
Benny is a good Christian boy now...or at least we hope he is!

Shea
07-18-2010, 03:14 PM
It will be an intriguing scenario if Lefty lights it up while stepping in for Ben during his suspension and the possibility of when Ben does get back of maybe being rusty and stinking up a few games that result in losses.

All in all, this season will be interesting to say the least on how it's all going to unfold.

MULLDOG24
07-18-2010, 03:16 PM
If Lefty goes 4-0 then great but this is still Ben's team and I do think that Ben will rebound and start acting like a true FACE OF THE FRANCHISE.

KeiselPower99
07-18-2010, 05:58 PM
It would be great for Byron but we all know its Bens team.

HometownGal
07-18-2010, 06:03 PM
It would be great for Byron but we all know its Bens team.

Byron is a teamer and he knows his role. I'm really happy we were able to get him back, as he is an excellent veteran backup. :thumbsup:

BigNastyDefense
07-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Hell if Lefty goes 4-0 and is a major part in that, I say we put him out there for the best possible draft pick.

I think there is going to be a heavy dose of Mendy for the first four games to be honest. Lefty will have chances to chuck it, but we'll be heavy on the run game.

steeldawg
07-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Wait Wait Wait! Ben will have to prove to his teammates he just as good as lefty? Is that a complete joke? Ben has lead the team to 2 superbowls and lets not discount his 15-1 season. Ben has a 100 million dolar contract he is going to play regardless of how lefty does. And to be perfectly honest i would rather have dixon starting.

steeldawg
07-18-2010, 06:30 PM
Byron leftwhich has won 24 games in his 6 year career and now we want him to go 4-0? I love my steelers but if anyone is excited about leftwich starting your nuts.

stillers4me
07-18-2010, 07:54 PM
Byron leftwhich has won 24 games in his 6 year career and now we want him to go 4-0? I love my steelers but if anyone is excited about leftwich starting your nuts.
Please tell me you're not comparing the current Steelers team around Byron to Tampa Bay?

steeldawg
07-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Please tell me you're not comparing the current Steelers team around Byron to Tampa Bay?

Im talking about the jags you know the team he was drafted by and was the starter for. 24 wins as a starting qb and i think the more ridiculous comparison is lefty to ben.

steeldawg
07-18-2010, 08:20 PM
And there is a reason his time as a starter in the nfl was so short.

HometownGal
07-18-2010, 08:28 PM
Wait Wait Wait! Ben will have to prove to his teammates he just as good as lefty? Is that a complete joke? Ben has lead the team to 2 superbowls and lets not discount his 15-1 season. Ben has a 100 million dolar contract he is going to play regardless of how lefty does. And to be perfectly honest i would rather have dixon starting.

I don't think that is what anyone is saying here, dawg. Imho, Ben is going to have to prove to his teammates, as well as his coaches, that he is finished acting like a teenager experiencing a woodie for the first time and is getting his head together. As we all know, Ben is capable of almost impossible things on the field and though I believe Lefty to be a very capable backup to Ben, he simply isn't Ben and anyone with a fraction of a brain cell can see that.

That being said, however - football is a TEAM game and it took the superhuman efforts of not only Ben, but the rest of the team, to win the Steelers last 2 Lombardi's.

As far as Dix starting - I'm not at all comfy with him starting 4 games that are extremely important, as 1 is against a hated division rival and 1 is against an AFCC rival. I'd much rather have the experienced vet behind center than a kid who has a tad over 60 minutes of on the field NFL experience. Dix will get his chance but I just don't believe that chance is NOW.

steeldawg
07-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I don't think that is what anyone is saying here, dawg. Imho, Ben is going to have to prove to his teammates, as well as his coaches, that he is finished acting like a teenager experiencing a woodie for the first time and is getting his head together. As we all know, Ben is capable of almost impossible things on the field and though I believe Lefty to be a very capable backup to Ben, he simply isn't Ben and anyone with a fraction of a brain cell can see that.

That being said, however - football is a TEAM game and it took the superhuman efforts of not only Ben, but the rest of the team, to win the Steelers last 2 Lombardi's.

As far as Dix starting - I'm not at all comfy with him starting 4 games that are extremely important, as 1 is against a hated division rival and 1 is against an AFCC rival. I'd much rather have the experienced vet behind center than a kid who has a tad over 60 minutes of on the field NFL experience. Dix will get his chance but I just don't believe that chance is NOW.

4th post by devilsdancefloor thats exactly what he said.

SteelerFanInStl
07-18-2010, 08:35 PM
It's a ridiculous question. Ben is the starting QB of this team and will be the starter when his suspension is over no matter how well Lefty or Dixon does while he's gone.

steeldawg
07-18-2010, 08:37 PM
Yes exactly and not just because hes much more talented than both of them but also we are paying him a ton of money and its not to hold a clipboard.

Galax Steeler
07-19-2010, 03:27 AM
It is not even a question Ben is our quarterback and should start as soon as his suspension is up.

tihmtahm
07-19-2010, 03:39 AM
I like Leftwich. He's proven to be reliable when he's called up. That being said, he and Dixon, and Batch all know damn well they're all backup QB's. Their job is to take the helm of the ship until the cap'n can get back up to the wheel.

Hopefully we won't lose more than 1 non conference game before Ben gets back in the saddle. And hopefully Ben will not miss a step once back on the field. The O line is the most suspect feature of the team, and that's been needing attention for a few years now. The D seems to be right back in place, albeit a little older. We're going to be a top 5 D again this year unless Polomalu and Smith aren't 100%.

HughC
07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
It's not about what Leftwich's record as a starter will be. It's about which quarterback will give the team the best chance of winning going forward from that point on. Unless Ben regresses and somehow for whatever reason takes several huge steps backward in camp and practices, I cannot see Leftwich continuing as the starter. And frankly, I don't see that scenario unfolding either.

Ben starts again as soon as his suspension ends.

SteelGhost
07-19-2010, 04:01 PM
What if Leftwich start season 4-0 ? Ben will be under center in game 5 whatsoever (if GoodHell reduces the suspension to 4 games) .

IMHO the Steelers can go 4-0 if they run the ball effectively, if the Titans and the Ratbirds blitz a lot, it will be a nightmare for the O'line (specially the RT sub) and Byron and a 2-2 mark is more realistic under those circumstances.

The coaching staff knows for sure BL is not BB and has to gameplan accordingly to find the way to win with BL skills.

Of course, if we want a 4-0 mark we will have to relay on the defense, I'm confident they will play 4 quarters now that we have Troy and Aaron back.

My .02

Craic
07-19-2010, 04:17 PM
If Roethlisberger is back for game five-- then he will start, provided Der Kommisar actually tells the team before the byeweekend. If he has to wait until Game 7, If Lefty goes 6-1, even 5-2, and those losses were clearly not on Lefty (another defense blowup in the fourth quarter, let's say), then I think Lefty mightthe 7th game, to give Ben a week to get back in the rhythm of the team, and a fully two weeks to get back up to speed. If Ben comes in and starts laying out passing right in the arms of the receivers in the first practice Tuesday of week 7, he starts.

steel striker
07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Look we all know what ben brings to the table but, there is no reason why lefty can't have us at 4-0 or 3-1 start which would be good. Then let Ben take it from there.

steeldevil
07-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Ben will start the first game the comish lets him. End of story...

steelerdude15
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
If we go 4-0 that would be amazing and it would make all the haters shut up.