PDA

View Full Version : Steelers camp report: Haley’s offense looks promising

stillers4me
07-29-2012, 09:48 AM
Will the quarterback be reined in or restricted? Will the Steelers run the ball better? Did they throw out everything Bruce Arians put in? Most of all, how will Ben and his new boss get along?

Todd Haley’s hiring as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator five months ago generated surprise and a great number of questions. Only now are they getting answered.

First, Haley’s personality — term it an edgy intensity, with a slice of sideline combustibility — seemed to be quite the departure from the lower-key Bruce Arians, Ben Roethlisberger’s longtime friend, mentor and golfing buddy.

Now that training camp has begun, it’s becoming apparent that there will be much in Haley’s offense that made him such a successful coordinator with the Arizona Cardinals. Namely, lots of quick-release, high-percentage passes mixed in with enough running to keep an offense guessing, plus short throws to the running backs. The entire system appears to be designed to keep Roethlisberger on his feet, throwing with a steady rhythm and away from pass rushers................

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2287868-85/steelers-camp-offense-haley-decastro-player-seen-start-alan-arians

Lou Donny
07-29-2012, 11:07 AM
while many say there will be a period of adjustment early in the season, b/c of the new offense & coordinator

I think they will exceed expectations, b/c things were getting pretty predictable with Uncle Brucey

GBMelBlount
07-29-2012, 11:12 AM
while many say there will be a period of adjustment early in the season, b/c of the new offense & coordinator

I think they will exceed expectations, b/c things were getting pretty predictable with Uncle Brucey

I tend to agree. Not that it is not a legitimate concern but I think if they start conservative and ease into it with more running and high percentage / simple plays early it may not be as ugly early as many fear.

I also really like the personnel we have right now....I see a lot of potential once they hopefully learn the new system and gel.

Lou Donny
07-29-2012, 11:16 AM
I tend to agree. Not that it is not a legitimate concern but I think if they start conservative and ease into it with more running and high percentage / simple plays early it may not be as ugly early as many fear.

I also really like the personnel we have right now....I see a lot of potential once they hopefully learn the new system and gel.

+1

Texasteel
07-29-2012, 12:48 PM
I wouldn't get to excited about early reviews. I can remember a few years that the offence looked very good in TC, and looked awful in the 1st few games of the year. I still expect a bit of a slow start but also think we will see a great deal of improvment as the year gos along. We will just have to wait and see, and hope for the best. I do think that, on paper, this may end up one of the best Olines we have had for year, and that is a good thing.

Steeltreal
07-29-2012, 04:12 PM
I do think that, on paper, this may end up one of the best Olines we have had for year, and that is a good thing.what exactly does " On paper" refer to in regard to OL. the draft picks used since Pouncey?, contracts / salary? # Of pancakes / sacks allowed potential?

Texasteel
07-29-2012, 04:28 PM
[QUOTE=Texasteel;297846] I do think that, on paper, this may end up one of the best Olines we have had for year, and that is a good thing.[/QUOTE ]what exactly does " On paper" refer to in regard to OL. the draft picks used since Pouncey?, contracts / salary? # Of pancakes / sacks allowed potential?

Overall tallent, which may translate into overall play. I don't think it would do much for us to try to zero in on one aspect.

Steeltreal
07-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I just hope on paper they match 05' and 08'

Texasteel
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
I just hope on paper they match 05' and 08'

Thats the problem with on paper. You don't know for sure what will or will not happen till the play is transfered from on paper to on the field. That is one reason I said, don't get too excited right yet.