PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Trading Wallace Best for Both Sides

stillers4me
07-28-2012, 07:18 AM
It makes more sense than ever for Mike Wallace to sign his one-year tender, get into training camp and play the entire 2012 season. After all, it is his final dress rehearsal for his next employer for 2013.
The Steelers did more than sign a good, young receiver when Antonio Brown committed to them through the 2017 season. They lowered the kaboom on Wallace. There was little chance they were going to give into Wallace’s contract demands before they signed Brown; there is no chance now.
That doesn’t mean a multiple-year contract is no longer available to Wallace. It very well could be. But the number offered by the Steelers before AB would likely be reduced dramatically, that is if negotiations even resume with Wallace on a multiple-year deal.
A sign-and-trade remains a possibility, but the Steelers do not like to go that route because it might set a precedent for a player or players to force trades similarly in the future. However, a trade technically can happen and the scenario would look like this: .........

Read more @ http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/117381-ed-trading-wallace-best-for-both-sides

salamander
07-28-2012, 07:28 AM
At this point, I don't care what happens. Mike Wallace is only hurting himself in this situation.

GBMelBlount
07-28-2012, 07:43 AM
I am assuming that trading for a solid player at a position of need is unlikely? He didn't even mention that as an option.

The thought of trading him for a 4th actually turns my stomach.

slippy
07-28-2012, 08:45 AM
bouchette is great 75% of the time, but other times he's just another press corps stooge looking for "hits".

the story basically says there is almost no possibility of a trade and then goes on to describe how the trade will happen ????

c'mon ed! this is on the PG+ website that charges $4.00 a month for this "exclusive insight". where was the "exclusive insight" on the antonio brown extension?

XxKnightxX
07-28-2012, 08:48 AM
I am assuming that trading for a solid player at a position of need is unlikely? He didn't even mention that as an option.

Trade him for Haloti Ngata, even Stevens, no Flaccid had more deep balls to chuck on 3rd and 11

SteelerEmpire
07-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Mike Wallace Tweet:

Mike Wallace ‏@Wallace17_daKid
S/o to my bro @AntonioBrown84 very well deserved!!!

suitanim
07-28-2012, 09:07 AM
The other article says that a 5 year, 40 million deal with a 15 million signing bonus is still very, very doable.

Polamalubeast posted it here: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/13716-Steelers-Depot-Impact-Of-New-Antonio-Brown-Contract-On-Cap-Space-amp-Mike-Wallace

steelerdiva
07-28-2012, 09:24 AM
At this point, I don't care what happens. Mike Wallace is only hurting himself in this situation.

Co-sign.

NJarhead
07-28-2012, 09:26 AM

I was thinking the same thing....and feeling the same way.

Shoes
07-28-2012, 09:44 AM
I think the Post Gazette should trade Douchette for a 1/2 lb of jumbo.

slippy
07-28-2012, 10:35 AM
after that article i'd trade bouchette to his beloved red sox for a bag of footballs. i guess it's training camp for ed too!

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 10:53 AM
The other article says that a 5 year, 40 million deal with a 15 million signing bonus is still very, very doable.

Polamalubeast posted it here: http://www.steelersuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php/13716-Steelers-Depot-Impact-Of-New-Antonio-Brown-Contract-On-Cap-Space-amp-Mike-Wallace

Wallace would never take that. We're talking 5/55 minimum. Report is that he rejected 5/50.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I still wouldn't trade him. And first of all, there haven't been any reports the Steelers are actually considering it. It's just been speculation on what they should or could do.

The situation is ugly now. Much worse than what I thought it'd be. But just because you have a fight with your girlfriend, doesn't mean you dump her. Give it some more time and let things cool down. Because having Mike Wallace on this team is the best thing for both parties. Let's not forget that Hines Ward held out. I'm sure we're glad he wasn't traded.

polamalubeast
07-28-2012, 11:04 AM
I agree that this is too early for trade Wallace

suitanim
07-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Wallace would never take that. We're talking 5/55 minimum. Report is that he rejected 5/50.

Alright...then the Steelers must be legitimately putting their eggs in the AB basket. If he rejected 10 million a year, he's played (or is about to play) his last football as a Steeler. They won't overpay...

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 11:35 AM
Alright...then the Steelers must be legitimately putting their eggs in the AB basket. If he rejected 10 million a year, he's played (or is about to play) his last football as a Steeler. They won't overpay...

That's not overpaying. That's market value. Desean Jackson got 5/47. V-Jax got 5/55.

Shoes
07-28-2012, 11:35 AM
I still wouldn't trade him. And first of all, there haven't been any reports the Steelers are actually considering it. It's just been speculation on what they should or could do.

The situation is ugly now. Much worse than what I thought it'd be. But just because you have a fight with your girlfriend, doesn't mean you dump her. Give it some more time and let things cool down. Because having Mike Wallace on this team is the best thing for both parties. Let's not forget that Hines Ward held out. I'm sure we're glad he wasn't traded.

I agree Chidi....hopefully cool heads will prevail on both sides. Colbert said long ago they wanted a long term deal with Wallace and I still believe they do. Lot's of folks have been putting words in Wallace's mouth all along, yet very little has actually come from Mike. I still believe this can turn out good.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I agree Chidi....hopefully cool heads will prevail on both sides. Colbert said long ago they wanted a long term deal with Wallace and I still believe they do. Lot's of folks have been putting words in Wallace's mouth all along, yet very little has actually come from Mike. I still believe this can turn out good.

Though Wallace has to take the first step, sign the tender, and get to camp. Because the team isn't talking until that happens. But if Wallace does and says, "Hey, I'm sorry for what happened. Let's put this behind us and try to work out a deal." I'm sure the team wouldn't turn him away.

polamalubeast
07-28-2012, 11:39 AM
That's not overpaying. That's market value. Desean Jackson got 5/47. V-Jax got 5/55.

Vincent Jackson is overrated and overpaid....the Steelers will not make the mistakes that a 4-12 team make

and Desean > Vincent

Shoes
07-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Though Wallace has to take the first step, sign the tender, and get to camp. Because the team isn't talking until that happens. But if Wallace does and says, "Hey, I'm sorry for what happened. Let's put this behind us and try to work out a deal." I'm sure the team wouldn't turn him away.

I agree, it's Mikes move.....and hopefully he makes it. I think he will.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 11:42 AM
Vincent Jackson is overrated and overpaid....the Steelers will not make the mistakes that a 4-12 team make

and Desean > Vincent

Doesn't matter if the opinion of the other deals. Fact is they got them and that sets market value.

Lou Donny
07-28-2012, 01:32 PM
For what its worth:
The Vincent Jackson deal, the way its structured, is basically a two yr deal. Extremely front loaded. The Bucs can afford to do this because they are a football team with a less-than-impressive 53 man roster. As a result, they had more cap space available this yr than 95% of the NFL and this allowed them to utilize such a front loaded deal.

WIth all due respect, VJack's contract is a bad analogy. D Jack from Philly is a different story tho. That is far more comparable. But...

With regards to "market value"....
As a result of the CBA, Mike has not yet earned the right to earn "fair market value". The Rooney's didn't make the rules. But the rules say that he cant become an UFA until after his fourth season.

Wallace's productivity so far in his career is irrelevant. Fact is, he is a RFA. And RFA's are at the mercy of the owners...and the way the CBA is set up.

Wallace knows that he is a victim of the system right now. Im sure that is the way he feels. He has outproduced his contract. No doubt.

I just hope that this little vacation he is on, is nothing more than that. A little vacation.

Come to camp Mike.

Do your thing.

You cant earn your paper from the couch.

I am the walrus

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 01:49 PM
Yes, Jackson's deal is basically 2/28 with the last three full of option bonuses. But that is the basic framwork that Wallace will be looking for. He's not going to accept the 5/42 deal Brown got, obviously.

Lou Donny
07-28-2012, 02:03 PM
Agreed, but VJack, unlike Wallace, got that contract offered to him after he became UFA-eligible.

Mike is still a year away from UFA. If he were a UFA, the offers he would receive would blow Vjack's out of the water IMO. But he isnt a UFA.

I just hope that Mike doesnt hold the system against the Rooneys. Hell, the Rooneys were the only ones to vote AGAINST the current CBA.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what one HAS to do:

Mike HAS to sign his RFA at some point (week 11?) this season or he again becomes a RFA next season.
The FO, by placing the Rd1 RFA tender on him, HAS to pay him 2.7 for the 2011.

I have heard that the Rooneys will have (or already have) the option of lowering his RFA tender amount. I wonder if/when they will exercise that option?

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 02:07 PM
Agreed, but VJack, unlike Wallace, got that contract offered to him after he became UFA-eligible.

Mike is still a year away from UFA. If he were a UFA, the offers he would receive would blow Vjack's out of the water IMO. But he isnt a UFA.

I just hope that Mike doesnt hold the system against the Rooneys. Hell, the Rooneys were the only ones to vote AGAINST the current CBA.

At the end of the day, it boils down to what one HAS to do:

Mike HAS to sign his RFA at some point (week 11?) this season or he again becomes a RFA next season.
The FO, by placing the Rd1 RFA tender on him, HAS to pay him 2.7 for the 2011.

I have heard that the Rooneys will have (or already have) the option of lowering his RFA tender amount. I wonder if/when they will exercise that option?

I understand the difference in circumstances but Wallace will just say, "I'll sign the tender, play this year, and hit the open market next year and get my money then. I won't accept anything less than what I'll get in a year."

The team can lower his tender to as low as about 500K. They said they wouldn't back in July but the situation has obviously taken a turn for the worse since then.

slippy
07-28-2012, 02:24 PM
can they still lower the tender in week 10 if he's still sitting out?

Lou Donny
07-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Thats an interesting question.

Do the Rooneys have the ability to lower his RFA tender prior to him signing?

And if they did....and IF Wallace did what VJack did to SD and held out as long as possible...would they lower it?

Hmmm

I seriously hope it doesnt get to that

All the makings of a scary offense....when fully loaded

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Thats an interesting question.

Do the Rooneys have the ability to lower his RFA tender prior to him signing?

And if they did....and IF Wallace did what VJack did to SD and held out as long as possible...would they lower it?

Hmmm

I seriously hope it doesnt get to that

All the makings of a scary offense....when fully loaded

Yes, the team has had the ability since July 15th to lower the tender.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 02:31 PM
Or maybe it was June 15th...I forget. But either way, they've had the ability.

Lou Donny
07-28-2012, 02:32 PM
If his holdout lasts into the season, do they play hardball and lower the tender offer?

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 02:35 PM
If his holdout lasts into the season, do they play hardball and lower the tender offer?

My guess is no but who knows at this point. The Steelers have made their stance clear. We won't talk a long-term deal unti you get to camp. We don't need to send any more messages.

Butch
07-28-2012, 02:49 PM
If Wallace is so valuable why didn't some desperate team make a run at him this past off season? I would think that alone has a lot to do with the Steelers negotiating a deal with him.

Steeltreal
07-28-2012, 02:57 PM
If Wallace is so valuable why didn't some desperate team make a run at him this past off season? I would think that alone has a lot to do with the Steelers negotiating a deal with him.

The value for 1st round. WR contacts dramatically. Reduced

slippy
07-28-2012, 03:41 PM
this is jumping ahead, but i would tell wallace if he sits out the first regular season game then the tender drops to the minimum.

if it comes to that i say get as much out production of him as possible this year and let him walk to seattle/tampa/jags/AZ. if he has a problem with that and his head is not in the game i would let him rot on the bench.

BTW, i really like MW as a player, just not at 10mil a year kinda like.

86WARD
07-28-2012, 03:47 PM

Very...

GBMelBlount
07-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Originally Posted by suitanim

I hope so but I inferred that Wallace did not accept their best offer and it was withdrawn?

With the Brown signing I feel the Steelers may have thrown down the gauntlet.

I hope they give Wallace no more than a week to come to his senses and then drop it to $500,000.

slashsteel
07-28-2012, 03:55 PM
I still think he is signed before the regular season. I would be slightly shocked to see this drag into the season.....

Count Steeler
07-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Wallace has turned down the best offer the Steelers were willing to offer. He obviously believes he is worth more money. I would have to think they are at least 5mil apart, maybe 10mil.

Given the state of the NFL and the importance of the WR, the best move for Wallace is to sign his tender, put up Fitz numbers and then get his payday next year. We get a 3rd round pick and a decent season from a WR. If Wallace keeps this up, he may just get traded (sign and trade), or he wastes a year of his career.

The longer he holds out now, the worse he makes his situation.

steelreserve
07-28-2012, 04:27 PM

and are either of them worth it?

That's not market value, it's just stupidity. If someone is dumb enough to pay $50,000 for a used VW bug, that doesn't mean it's really worth that much either.

Steeldude
07-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I predicted this would happen. Wallace is in it for the money only. Which is fine, he can do what he wants, but he is seriously overestimating his worth. I am surprised other people didn't see this coming?

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 05:15 PM
and are either of them worth it?

That's not market value, it's just stupidity. If someone is dumb enough to pay $50,000 for a used VW bug, that doesn't mean it's really worth that much either.

So you think Wallace will take less than players he is better than got?

steelerdude15
07-28-2012, 06:15 PM
I honestly think losing Mikey would hurt the Steelers deep threat. He is the fastest receiver on the team and Manny nor Antonio are able to get down the field like Mikey can. Losing him would possibly be losing our deep threat in our passing game. I feel that Antonio and Manny run better routes, but I don't think they could be the deep threat that Mikey is. I hope he does sign, but all he's doing is hurting himself.

polamalubeast
07-28-2012, 07:01 PM
Wallace wants to be paid like Vincent Jackson, not Fitzgerald

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/28/wallace-wants-to-be-paid-like-vincent-jackson-not-fitzgerald/

86WARD
07-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I said V.Jack's deal was what they were going to have to go off of before this even started and the only team that could've done that deal at the time was the Niners. The Steelers have the room to do it now...just a matter of whether they want to...

There's no way he settles for a Pierre Garcon deal...Garcon's not in the same league as Wallace...not even close.

86WARD
07-28-2012, 07:43 PM
BTW - Trading Wallace is not good for the Steelers...not at all. They are better off forcing him to play this season, tagging him next year and getting him 2-Years at $11M-$12M. They make out in that deal...

polamalubeast
07-28-2012, 07:56 PM
I said V.Jack's deal was what they were going to have to go off of before this even started and the only team that could've done that deal at the time was the Niners. The Steelers have the room to do it now...just a matter of whether they want to...

There's no way he settles for a Pierre Garcon deal...Garcon's not in the same league as Wallace...not even close.

it was a stupidity of the redskins,the contract of Garcon....But the contract of Garcon is not a problem for the steelers

The problem is the contract of Vincent Jackson

BTW - Trading Wallace is not good for the Steelers...not at all.

The Steelers will have maybe no choice, if Wallace remains stubborn and decided to not play in the first 10 games.....The Steelers had offered 50 million contract for five years, but Wallace refused the contract and now, Mike made a holdout

But I do not think right now the Steelers want traded Wallace, especially that the Steelers can put the TAG on Wallace in 2013. But if the offer from another team is great, I will be agreed to trade Wallace

Butch
07-28-2012, 07:58 PM
I honestly think losing Mikey would hurt the Steelers deep threat. He is the fastest receiver on the team and Manny nor Antonio are able to get down the field like Mikey can. Losing him would possibly be losing our deep threat in our passing game. I feel that Antonio and Manny run better routes, but I don't think they could be the deep threat that Mikey is. I hope he does sign, but all he's doing is hurting himself.

What good is a deep threat if you and the QB can't hook up? Ben's not the best at throwing the long ball and Mike doesn't fight for the ball when it's not exactly where it should be.

IMHO you can do just as good if not better with a WR who can get open and maybe break a few tackles. We don't necessarily need to have a deep threat. Santonio was great a lot of the time by just getting a short to intermediate pass and then turning it into a big play, when Wallace can do that I'll be more than happy to pay the man.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 08:02 PM
it was a stupidity of the redskins,the contract of Garcon....But the contract of Garcon is not a problem for the steelers

The problem is the contract of Vincent Jackson

Pay $3.50+ for gas is stupid but you don't have a choice, right?

Whether the team likes it or not, that is where the bar has been set. And Mike Wallace will think he deserves more than Pierre Garcon.

polamalubeast
07-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Whether the team likes it or not, that is where the bar has been set. And Mike Wallace will think he deserves more than Pierre Garcon.

the steelers have offered 50 million for 5 years at Wallace

I not understand why Garcon is in this discussion

GBMelBlount
07-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Pay $3.50+ for gas is stupid but you don't have a choice, right?

Fortunately we are not buying gas and we have two other "high octane" receivers (which is all we need) at less than $2.00 / gallon....so why pay $4 for an extra gallon especially when you are switching to a hybrid (offense) where you need less gas anyway?

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 08:23 PM
the steelers have offered 50 million for 5 years at Wallace

I not understand why Garcon is in this discussion

I didn't bring up Garcon. Someone else did and I just commented on it. Every guy is looking to get more than the previous one. And the highest realistic contract right now is 5/55. That's the framework we have to work with. The two had very similar numbers last season.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 08:24 PM
Fortunately we are not buying gas and we have two other "high octane" receivers (which is all we need) at less than $2.00 / gallon....so why pay $4 for an extra gallon especially when you are switching to a hybrid (offense) where you need less gas anyway?

The more gas the merrier. Because the price of it is only going to rise. And it's tough to find another station like Wallace.

Nadroj 20
07-28-2012, 08:27 PM
The more gas the merrier. Because the price of it is only going to rise. And it's tough to find another station like Wallace.

Nice :chuckle:

Nadroj 20
07-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I have been saying Wallace needs to get to camp. But looking at it from Wallace's point of view I can see why he wants a contract similar or better then guys he feels he is better then.

I really want Wallace to remain with us. Sanders is still a bit unproven for me to feel safe saying Wallace wont be missed. I want to see a full year of production out of Sanders.

GBMelBlount
07-28-2012, 08:45 PM

LOL. I gotta admit THAT was funny! :chuckle:

Although we just purchased a 5 year supply at a helluva discount...:wink02:

Moose
07-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm really not worried about this situation. The Steeler's organization always seems to know best and almost always comes out smelling like roses. A player seems to think they are the best and can't be replaced, and then an 'unknown' comes off the bench and the team doesn't miss a step, and sometimes it turns out to be better. I feel that's the way it is in this situation. Wallace has to remember he needs the Steeler's more than the Steeler's need him. The team has someone to step up in his spot, and less expensive to boot. Wallace needs to play to prove his worth in the future, he knows this team, the player's, the QB and most of all the plays. If he goes to another team, he will have to feel himself out with the other player's and playbook, just as the new player's would have to feel Wallace's abilities out. Most of the time you just can't walk onto a new team and perform, it takes time and whether or not Wallace has that to spare is not known, new talent is in every draft. Wallace has to remember, as all player's do, your career and worth is only an injury away. My advice, Mike, talk to the Bus and Hines, sign and get your young ass to camp !!

7willBheaven
07-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Apparently according to Colbert Wallace is not available for trade...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/07/report-mike-wallace-not-available-for-trade/

86WARD
07-28-2012, 09:40 PM
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Responding to trade rumors involving multiple teams, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert flatly tells me, "Mike Wallace is not available for trade."

slashsteel
07-28-2012, 09:42 PM
Steelers just doing business as normal. I knew they wouldn't trade him. Now he will report within a few weeks (no so bold prediction) and be signed to a contract before the first game of the season.......

polamalubeast
07-28-2012, 09:50 PM
it is too early to traded Wallace

Now,I hope that Wallace will soon be at the camp!!!

Justin Otstott
07-28-2012, 09:51 PM
Couldn't Sanders step in and be the number 2 guy? But I agree Wallace can sign or get traded, no longer care.

GBMelBlount
07-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Couldn't Sanders step in and be the number 2 guy? But I agree Wallace can sign or get traded, no longer care.

I believe so. But NOBODY stretches the field like wallace.

Justin Otstott
07-28-2012, 10:19 PM
I totally agree but if worst came to worst I think we would be ok. Let's just hope he signs his tender so that they can give him a long term contract.

Psycho Ward 86
07-28-2012, 10:28 PM

what makes you say that

Justin Otstott
07-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Well I think Sanders can step up and produce more than 2 td's this season (lol) and this Wallace situation is becoming very frustrating for me personally.

GBMelBlount
07-28-2012, 10:55 PM
Well I think Sanders can step up and produce more than 2 td's this season (lol) and this Wallace situation is becoming very frustrating for me personally.

To Wallace's credit he had 8 TD's last year with the same receptions as the #2 receiver.

Justin Otstott
07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
To Wallace's credit he had 8 TD's last year with the same receptions as the #2 receiver.

Point made, :chuckle: we will see what happens this year.

pepsyman1
07-28-2012, 11:44 PM
I like mike Wallace and his speed is obviously not something easily found, but at the same time he's still the "one trick pony". He was hardly heard from the last six weeks of the season. He's definitely not a Larry Fitzgrald or Megatron that makes incredible plays even when double covered...at least not to this point. I don't know what the Steelers have offered him to this point but considering there wasn't even a nibble at him from other teams over the off season, I'd have to say whatever his demands are, they are too high and he has no chance of getting them right now. Hopefully he will get more realistic and it will get done.

Chidi29
07-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Ed Werder ‏@Edwerderespn

Responding to trade rumors involving multiple teams, Steelers GM Kevin Colbert flatly tells me, "Mike Wallace is not available for trade."

Another example of the media fear mongering. Wallace doesn't report to camp....he's going to be traded!

Shoes
07-28-2012, 11:52 PM
Another example of the media fear mongering. Wallace doesn't report to camp....he's going to be traded!

He'll report for duty....

Chidi29
07-29-2012, 12:08 AM
He'll report for duty....

He's got no other choice. Just a question of when.

And while he does have the playbook which helps, the more reps he plays, the worse off he'll be (obviously). If he has to think too much because he doesn't know the plays, he's going to lose some of that trademark speed. Body can't move fast if your mind is slow.

Justin Otstott
07-29-2012, 12:15 AM
If he signs his tender they might give him a new contract, I just hope some of you are right. Besides, Brown needs Wallace...

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/hh634/TalkGridiron/twit.png

steelreserve
07-29-2012, 01:56 AM
So you think Wallace will take less than players he is better than got?

If he doesn't want to play for a shitty team he will.

That's the funny thing about receivers. They still don't get how this works. How many times have we seen this play out:

1. Squawk about how much money you deserve to be paid
2. Fine, you get your $10M a year contract by leaving in FA or bitching and moaning enough to force a trade
3. Your new team can't fill other obvious needs because you and one other guy, usually a pass rusher, are taking up a sixth of the salary cap space
4. The team has a bad year
5. Your numbers go way down as a result of #4
6. You're labeled a guy who took it easy after getting the big contract
7. You complain that you aren't getting the ball enough; the pass rusher complains about how he's being used
9. You're labeled a malcontent
10. You make it two or three years through your big contract, and are then cut or traded as a disappointment
11. You never see the big-money years at the end of the big contract
11a. It turns out your big contract was more like 3 years and $18M, so the joke's on you
11b. You sure still spend your money like you were on a $50M contract, though! Any day you're going to get another one.
12. You hire a new personal trainer and vow to come back better than ever
13. You end up signing a one-year prove-it deal for $1M and are kept on a short leash
14. You don't do well enough for another big contract
15. Repeat for rest of your career (which is either next major injury or next time you have a bad season and are labeled a malcontent)
16. See 11b. You're broke!
17. People laugh at you for being another dumb NFL guy who wasted his talent and squandered his money

Your agent doesn't care about any of this, by the way. He already got his money, and he has other clients.

THAT is the kind of thing that guys like Brown or Ward understood, and most diva WRs do not.

Chidi29
07-29-2012, 02:01 AM
Hines Ward held out just like Wallace so I don't think that argument holds water.

What Wallace is doing is now stupid, yes. No one is benefiting. But looking from his point of view, he's obviously worth more than the tender. And he wants to get paid. It's a business and one you don't last very long is. Have to try and capitalize on the chances you get. Nature of the beast.

steelreserve
07-29-2012, 03:48 AM
Just to clear it up, I'm not trying to use Ward as an argument against a holdout. More of an argument against (hypothetically) Wallace actually going elsewhere next year because of money. Since we know in hindsight what Ward did and how it worked out for him, he makes a great example of why it makes sense to stay with a team where you're doing well.

Ward got a contract worth what, $26 million? He probably could've made that into $30M if he went someplace like the Chiefs or the Raiders, but there's a huge risk involved with that too. For some guys it's really just a black-and-white question about money, sure. If that's how Wallace sees it, then you're absolutely right. On the other hand, you have guys who consider things a little differently, like, "OK, I could re-sign with my team for $45M, which is about 10% less than I'd get on the open market ... but I know my chances of actually getting the entire amount are much greater if I stay put."

People go on and on about how players ought to be willing to take a little less with the Steelers for intangible things like "Knowing they have the chance to win a championship" or "Because the organization is so great," which is all a bunch of bullcrap as far as I'm concerned. Some players are willing to take less, but I'd guess the reason is more like, "I know I've done well on this team; I'm pretty confident that I'll keep doing well because they aren't going to unexpectedly screw everything up for me. So overall there's not much risk that my career will suddenly go down the toilet."

It's basically just a huge risk to leave a place you've been successful and leap into the unknown; for some guys there's a value to the stability, and some guys don't care. For every Hines Ward, there's a Randy Moss or an Albert Haynesworth on the other side of that equation. Think Haynesworth would've traded in that $100M deal for a $90M one to stay with the Titans if he knew what was coming?

I guess you could say the fact that the Steelers being a "well-run organization" come into play sometimes in that respect. The teams that throw big money at guys like Wallace also tend to have their share of turmoil and uncertainty that can really affect your performance, your playing time, your stats, your career longevity, take your pick. They're also the kind of teams that will wheel-and-deal you out of the last couple years of your contract, or where you might find yourself released on a whim, or when it's time to free up cap space for the next flavor-of-the-month big FA signing.

So anyway - if you're the kind of guy who places value on those kinds of things, then yes, you do take slightly less than Vincent Jackson. If you're one of those guys who's sure he'll do well no matter what, then fine, take your chances and we'll see.

TheRuneMeister
07-29-2012, 04:23 AM
I know that everyone wants to believe that our beloved Steelers will always do right by players that fall in line, but we have to remember that it is also a business. We cannot expect Wallace to simply trust that if he sign the tender, he will get a new contract.
Wallace SHOULD get a new contract. No one can expect a player with his ability and record to play at such a low salery. One trick pony or not. What if he gets hurt in camp?

I wish he would just show up to camp, and that the Steelers would reward his actions with a lucrative contract, but I understand that this requires a tremendous amount of trust on Wallace's part. Trusting someone blindly is rarely a very good business decision.

Count Steeler
07-29-2012, 05:33 AM
I know that everyone wants to believe that our beloved Steelers will always do right by players that fall in line, but we have to remember that it is also a business. We cannot expect Wallace to simply trust that if he sign the tender, he will get a new contract.
Wallace SHOULD get a new contract. No one can expect a player with his ability and record to play at such a low salery. One trick pony or not. What if he gets hurt in camp?

I wish he would just show up to camp, and that the Steelers would reward his actions with a lucrative contract, but I understand that this requires a tremendous amount of trust on Wallace's part. Trusting someone blindly is rarely a very good business decision.

However, because of the CBA, Wallace doesn't have any other bargaining chips left. If he doesn't sign the RFA or a new contract, he is in limbo and he can not leave the Steelers. Right now, the Steelers hold all the cards and the best play by Wallace is to sign his RFA, report for camp, negotiate a new deal. If he doesn't get the deal, he can be an UFA next year and he can high tail it out of here. With the CBA, he "owes" the Steelers at least 1 more season.

suitanim
07-29-2012, 09:43 AM
It's wrong to just knee-jerk and say "This player is being greedy". The ownership is being selfish too in almost every case.

The Steelers have a deal for Wallace, and if they offered 5/50, that was the deal. ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT, IMO, is overpaying for him. He's worth 10 million a year (and I don't buy the argument that he disappeared...Ben was very injured and it effected his ability to throw the deep ball...he's also usually throwing on the run being chased by 4 guys, too). If he thinks he's worth more, then he's playing his last Steelers ball. I'm fine with that. No sense overpaying, we'll just go out and find another hidden gem.

Anyway, this reflexive "He's a greedy pig" argument is hypocritical. It's a business and they negotiate. The Steelers pay what they pay, and they'll pay no more. He can go play (and lose) for the Redskins if he likes, but that's when it's actually about asking too much. We haven't gotten there yet because none of us REALLY knows what's going on. We will, soon, though...I'm not defending the Steelers or Wallace, just saying, knowing what we know, both sides are negotiating out of what they believe to be their best interests. Same happened with Ward.

GBMelBlount
07-29-2012, 09:47 AM
It's wrong to just knee-jerk and say "This player is being greedy". The ownership is being selfish too in almost every case.

The Steelers have a deal for Wallace, and if they offered 5/50, that was the deal. ANYTHING MORE THAN THAT, IMO, is overpaying for him. He's worth 10 million a year (and I don't buy the argument that he disappeared...Ben was very injured and it effected his ability to throw the deep ball...he's also usually throwing on the run being chased by 4 guys, too). If he thinks he's worth more, then he's playing his last Steelers ball. I'm fine with that. No sense overpaying, we'll just go out and find another hidden gem.

Anyway, this reflexive "He's a greedy pig" argument is hypocritical. It's a business and they negotiate. The Steelers pay what they pay, and they'll pay no more. He can go play (and lose) for the Redskins if he likes, but that's when it's actually about asking too much. We haven't gotten there yet because none of us REALLY knows what's going on. We will, soon, though...I'm not defending the Steelers or Wallace, just saying, knowing what we know, both sides are negotiating out of what they believe to be their best interests. Same happened with Ward.

Good points.

However with Antonio Brown being locked up for five years and the likelihood of using the running backs, tight ends and short passing routes more, that Wallaces strength (which is going deep) may be utilized less and may not be worth $10 million /yr. to the steelers?

whodat1
07-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I've heard a lot of people talking about greed on both sides. I don't see it that way, more like inexperience at negotiating.

Think of it this way. A new guy shows up at a poker game that has very experienced players. He thinks he has a real good hand and can win this pot. He over plays his hand and loses. Now the question is, did he learn a lesson that will let play better poker in the future or is he going to go all-in and try to bluff his way through the next hand.

TheRuneMeister
07-29-2012, 01:19 PM
However, because of the CBA, Wallace doesn't have any other bargaining chips left. If he doesn't sign the RFA or a new contract, he is in limbo and he can not leave the Steelers. Right now, the Steelers hold all the cards and the best play by Wallace is to sign his RFA, report for camp, negotiate a new deal. If he doesn't get the deal, he can be an UFA next year and he can high tail it out of here. With the CBA, he "owes" the Steelers at least 1 more season.
What he can do is sit out and simply report for the final 6 games. If he does that he will be a free agent next year. His bargaining chip is simply his presence. Though not ideal, it does count for something.

Chidi29
07-29-2012, 01:26 PM
What he can do is sit out and simply report for the final 6 games. If he does that he will be a free agent next year. His bargaining chip is simply his presence. Though not ideal, it does count for something.

That seems extremely unlikely. I don't remember a player ever doing that before even if they have the ability.

Nadroj 20
07-29-2012, 01:29 PM

That something is very very little then. If he comes back those last 6 games he has a small window of opportunity to show other teams he is worth what he says he is. How likely is it that he performs at his highest level at that time of the year when he hasn't been practicing with the team? Not likely at all.

So he has essentially wasted an entire year and in my opinion decreases his value significantly.

Lou Donny
07-29-2012, 01:35 PM
I've heard a lot of people talking about greed on both sides. I don't see it that way, more like inexperience at negotiating.

Think of it this way. A new guy shows up at a poker game that has very experienced players. He thinks he has a real good hand and can win this pot. He over plays his hand and loses. Now the question is, did he learn a lesson that will let play better poker in the future or is he going to go all-in and try to bluff his way through the next hand.

What a great analogy. He is OVERplaying his hand. And its gotten to the point now where every negotiation tactic Wallace utilizes from this point forward will cost him money.

Wallace...you are not a FA. You are a RFA.

It is what it is.

You want the money? The only money you will find this summer, will be found in Latrobe.

TheRuneMeister
07-29-2012, 01:52 PM
That something is very very little then. If he comes back those last 6 games he has a small window of opportunity to show other teams he is worth what he says he is. How likely is it that he performs at his highest level at that time of the year when he hasn't been practicing with the team? Not likely at all.

So he has essentially wasted an entire year and in my opinion decreases his value significantly.
Negotiation is often about bluffing and calling bluffs. Sometimes you get caught in a situation where someone calls you bluff. That can back you into a corner where you feel like you can't give up your position.
I hope he is not that stubborn though.

Pristas
07-29-2012, 03:19 PM
I just wanted to reiterate what a tool the media has been over this, especially Bouchette. He is supposed to be more of an insider type of guy... not a guy who writes articles to make a splash. I've lost a lot of respect for his writing the past two years. Shame on him. Seems like there are more level heads in the blogs these days.

Psycho Ward 86
07-29-2012, 04:02 PM
i think some of your posts are fueled by personal anger for Wallace as opposed to true understanding of the situation he's in. "Oh gosh you're in a great sport city Mike, why wouldnt you take less money to be here" well when you have millions of dollars waved in your face and you have the skillset to demand millions more in a short career manned by only the elite few, you're probably going to try to reap the benefits like Chidi said. its easy to think of him as a belligerent asshole when youll never be in his position in your wildest dreams.

so seriously. calm your tits.

suitanim
07-29-2012, 04:39 PM

That would make sense if it was only Wallace negotiating. But he's not. Now, I know supposedly this is all 100% Wallace doing the talking, and NOT his agent, Bus Cook, but let's be realistic. This is a guy who has a long track record of using unconventional, sometimes seemingly foolish parlor tricks and sleight of hand to end up snagging record deals for his clients. This is just more of that. Problem is, he's dealing with the Steelers. They don't play games like that, and they don't overpay...Wallace being in charge is juts another play. Cook is using another unconventional tactic that will probably end up failing this time because of who he's dealing with...

fansince'76
07-29-2012, 04:55 PM
If he doesn't want to play for a shitty team he will.

That's the funny thing about receivers. They still don't get how this works. How many times have we seen this play out:

1. Squawk about how much money you deserve to be paid
2. Fine, you get your $10M a year contract by leaving in FA or bitching and moaning enough to force a trade
3. Your new team can't fill other obvious needs because you and one other guy, usually a pass rusher, are taking up a sixth of the salary cap space
4. The team has a bad year
5. Your numbers go way down as a result of #4
6. You're labeled a guy who took it easy after getting the big contract
7. You complain that you aren't getting the ball enough; the pass rusher complains about how he's being used
9. You're labeled a malcontent
10. You make it two or three years through your big contract, and are then cut or traded as a disappointment
11. You never see the big-money years at the end of the big contract
11a. It turns out your big contract was more like 3 years and $18M, so the joke's on you
11b. You sure still spend your money like you were on a $50M contract, though! Any day you're going to get another one.
12. You hire a new personal trainer and vow to come back better than ever
13. You end up signing a one-year prove-it deal for $1M and are kept on a short leash
14. You don't do well enough for another big contract
15. Repeat for rest of your career (which is either next major injury or next time you have a bad season and are labeled a malcontent)
16. See 11b. You're broke!
17. People laugh at you for being another dumb NFL guy who wasted his talent and squandered his money

Your agent doesn't care about any of this, by the way. He already got his money, and he has other clients.

This is great. And so true. :lol:

fansince'76
07-29-2012, 04:58 PM
I just wanted to reiterate what a tool the media has been over this, especially Bouchette. He is supposed to be more of an insider type of guy... not a guy who writes articles to make a splash. I've lost a lot of respect for his writing the past two years. Shame on him. Seems like there are more level heads in the blogs these days.

Y'know, it's funny how NONE of the media "insiders" saw the Brown deal coming. At all.

Chidi29
07-29-2012, 05:17 PM
Y'know, it's funny how NONE of the media "insiders" saw the Brown deal coming. At all.

That's in part because it took just two days.

polamalubeast
07-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Miss my boy @Wallace17_daKid but I think I want him back even more so people stop tweeting me about it!! Starting to be a blockable offense

https://twitter.com/RealRClark25/status/230055617136570369

Mike Wallace‏@Wallace17_daKid

@RealRClark25 don't worry bout it fam I dnt... Haters gon Hate!!!! #believedat

https://twitter.com/Wallace17_daKid/with_replies