PDA

View Full Version : Randle El ready for second act in Pittsburgh

LLT
07-18-2010, 08:16 AM
Randle El ready for second act in Pittsburgh
By Vince Vosti Times Correspondent
Saturday, July 17, 2010

As he addressed the teenagers who came out to the Antwaan Randle El Sound Mind Sound Body Football Academy Saturday morning in the gymnasium at Thornton High School, the keynote speaker easily could have used any of a number of high-profile athletes to make his point about the dangers of being led astray, but he chose not to.

Antwaan Randle El, instead, focused on a positive way to view and handle life's many challenges.

"That's why we are here, young folks," Randle El said to the 200-plus youths in attendance. "This isn't all about football."

Randle El signed with his former team, the Pittsburgh Steelers, on March 8 after playing four seasons at wide receiver for the Washington Redskins. Randle El said he also considered offers from a handful of teams this spring, including Baltimore and New England, before deciding to return to the team with whom he won a Super Bowl in 2006.

"I just prayed to God to lead and guide me, and that is what he did," Randle El said. "Coming back to the Steelers was the best for me."

Though the Redskins released Randle El this spring, the former Thornton multi-sport star put up some of his best seasons, statistically, in Washington. Last year, he caught 50 passes for 530 yards and no touchdowns, numbers down slightly from his career-best 53 catches in 2008 or his 728 yards he compiled while a Redskin in 2007.

"When (former Redskins coach) Jim Zorn was there, he was hands-on," Randle El said. "He had great potential, but (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder was too involved because he didn't trust coach Zorn as much as he did coach (Joe) Gibbs, and those were things that prevented us from success as a team."

Randle El has already gone through June workouts with the Steelers, and he will return to Pittsburgh in two weeks to begin training camp. The Steelers will be without quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who was suspended for six games by the NFL for an offseason incident at a bar involving a young woman in Georgia. Randle El said the situation has affected the team, which needs Roethlisberger at quarterback this season.

"When mistakes like that happen, especially to athletes, we are held under a microscope like you wouldn't believe," Randle El said as he watched campers begin agility drills. "We know we have to watch who we hang out with and who we are around, because as athletes we are held to a different standard."

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/recreation/article_4acc4eeb-adf2-53d9-95bd-ac92f74a1504.html

Galax Steeler
07-18-2010, 08:22 AM
I just have a gut feeling he is not going to be as affective as he was when he was with us before. We have some good young wide receivers waiting in the wing.

Devilsdancefloor
07-18-2010, 08:54 AM
I think ARE will surprise you galax. But i really think he was brought back for some stability and vet leadership.

solardave
07-18-2010, 09:03 AM
I think ARE will surprise you galax. But i really think he was brought back for some stability and vet leadership.

That's what I think, and I still think he can bring the element of surprise with his passing ability.

SteelerEmpire
07-18-2010, 01:59 PM
Randle El brings veteran stability to the team. I don't know about him getting stats out of this world for the Steelers... but I think he will pull off several big plays for the team this season.

Shoes
07-18-2010, 02:20 PM

I agree and if he runs north and south instead of east & west he could have a very good season. I think he'll be a great plug-in..... he never looked good in a skins uniform :chuckle:

HometownGal
07-18-2010, 02:49 PM

Yeppers. I also think he may be used sparingly on returns. It is great, though, having a pretty reliable guy who basically knows the Steelers way back on the roster. :thumbsup: I'm delighted El is back. :applaudit:

venom
07-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Could he still throw a football ? lol

http://otrsportsonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Atwaan-Randle-El.jpg

MULLDOG24
07-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Really glad to hav ARE back for veteran leadership and experience and hopefully he can help with the development of the younger guys.

86WARD
07-18-2010, 06:00 PM
If Randle El can be a half-decent 3, I'm happy. If one of the young guys steps it up and takes the 3 spot and Randle El winds up being 4...I'm very happy.

Austin87
07-19-2010, 03:50 AM
I just love Randle El, hope he has a monster season.

Also if Ward or Wallace goes down Randle El should be able to step right in.

Galax Steeler
07-19-2010, 03:59 AM
I just love Randle El, hope he has a monster season.

Also if Ward or Wallace goes down Randle El should be able to step right in.

I hope we don't have to worry about that hopefully we can keep everyone healthy this year.

memphissteelergirl
07-19-2010, 11:23 AM
if he runs north and south instead of east & west he could have a very good season.

:lol: Man, ya got THAT right! He used to drive me BANANAS doing that! :doh2:

But still, he's a good player that knows the system and could make some very significant contributions.

steelpride12
07-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Seriously I think the best part about having ARE on the team is his veteran leadership, I know we have Ward, but also several young WR who could use all the leadership possible. He may not be as fast or productive, but I know he still has a plenty in him and can run well and catch the football, I just hope Sanders, and Wallace are paying attention closely.

BnG_Hevn
07-19-2010, 11:36 AM
What number is he wearing?

ALLD
07-19-2010, 05:17 PM
Hopefully, the mere act of bringing back the vets who left after XL will not be the only novel entertainment this season. It will be interesting to observe if you can "go home again" and if everybody will respond like they never left.