PDA

View Full Version : Who will be Steelers most impactful rookie in 2012?

zulater
07-26-2012, 06:03 PM
Sean Spence is my prediction. I think he's going to start game 1 and I think he's going to add some much needed speed and athleticism to the middle. Yeah he'll make some mistakes, but his recovery time is so great that he'll get in position better than Farrior has the past few seasons even when he takes an initial bad step.

I also think DeCastro will be a quality starter from day one.

And I think Chris Rainey is going to be a special teams demon. And will probably add more and more to the offense as the season goes on.

I think Adams will be starting by November's end.

In other words I think this is an exciting crop of rookies and I think they'll add more on field value to the Steelers this year than any rookie crop in recent memory.

zulater
07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
Nothing?
http://blog.ecosmart.com/wp-content/j-crickett.jpg

anyone?

Nadroj 20
07-26-2012, 06:41 PM
DeCastro. Honestly that is just picking one just for the sake of picking one. I agree this can be a very good rookie class and we will have more then one guy step up and contribute including all the guys Zu mentioned.

GBMelBlount
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
Zulater

Sean Spence is my prediction.

DeCastro for me of course.

BUT I am DEFINITELY a homer on Spence. The more I have read and learned the more confident I am that he is starting nfl linebacker material from top to bottom.

Am actually fired up about ALL of our first 5 picks.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
I have to say DeCastro hopefully Ben will have time in the pocket this year.

Count Steeler
07-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Spence is a reach. Rookie starters are few and far between in Lebeau's defense. I see him having impact on STs and he will make the most of the chances he gets on D, but I can't see him starting from day 1.

Don't know if Rainey and Batch both make the team, long term. They should make it because of the absence of Mendy, but we'll see what happens when Mendy returns.

zulater
07-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Spence is a reach. Rookie starters are few and far between in Lebeau's defense. I see him having impact on STs and he will make the most of the chances he gets on D, but I can't see him starting from day 1.

Don't know if Rainey and Batch both make the team, long term. They should make it because of the absence of Mendy, but we'll see what happens when Mendy returns.

Was LeBeau DC when Kendrell Bell was a rookie in 2001?

TMC
07-26-2012, 06:59 PM
DeCastro is the obvious choice for me. NFL body. Was damn dominant at times in college against solid competition. I think his transition will be the easiest. Never know though. My second choice would be Ta'amu. Big NFL body. Good power. He will have to improve his technique in some areas, but I think he could see some spot time and be very effective, especially if Hampton is slowed at the start of the season. He has to keep his pads down, anchor better, but he has the tools.

I like Spence next. Not too sold on Adams at LT or Rainey anywhere.

Count Steeler
07-26-2012, 07:02 PM

Yeah, I guess we are due for another rookie starter. Few and far between.

He really has to impress to supplant the more experienced Foote, especially since our first game is against Peyton. It will be interesting to see how Lebeau handles them.

tube517
07-26-2012, 09:11 PM

Nope. LeBeau came back in 2004. The DC was Tim Lewis.

My rookie impact pick is Rainey. I think he will have one TD return this year and give Ben and his best friend Haley great field position this year

SteelGhost
07-26-2012, 09:23 PM
A lot of us think DeCastro is the one, BUT we need someone in the other side of the ball, so I HOPE Ta'amu makes a big impact this season.

BigNastyDefense
07-26-2012, 09:35 PM
DeCastro will be dominant on the offensive line.

On defense, I would love to see Spence getting PT, this guy is a future stud.

Psycho Ward 86
07-26-2012, 10:01 PM
i think people are really overrating Rainey's special team skills. His return averages arent impressive, and his special teams TD's are from punt blocks, not returns, as that seems to be an assumption a lot of people are making. Rushing/blocking punts is what he does best on special teams. While that's awesome and all, that's just a luxury that were getting out of him, not an invaluable need at all.

steelreserve
07-26-2012, 10:13 PM
DeCastro is the most obvious choice since he's a mid-to-high first-round talent, and at a position where we sucked ass last year.

I'm really hoping the fat man makes an impact on defense. We have nothing but a big question mark at nose tackle this season.

I am absolutely thrilled about all of our first five picks though, which is the first time I can remember that that's happened.

Steeltreal
07-26-2012, 11:38 PM
Guess we can call Baron Batch a rookie. Pretty sure he will lineup inthe backfield more than Rainey. Who should be the slot wr type / return man

Don't see. Spence over Sly. Let him earn it on ST first

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 11:46 PM
Guess we can call Baron Batch a rookie. Pretty sure he will lineup inthe backfield more than Rainey. Who should be the slot wr type / return man

Don't see. Spence over Sly. Let him earn it on ST first

I dunno, Spence has been making some noise. Apparently picking up the defense quickly. Could become an asset on 3rd downs in subpackages because how athletic he is and his quick reaction to the ball.

steelerdude15
07-26-2012, 11:50 PM
I think Decastro will make the biggest impact, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Spence. I don't think he'll start at the beginning of the season, but half way through he I bet he is.

LLT
07-27-2012, 03:58 AM

No...that was his last year with the Bengals....He came back to Pittsburgh in 1992 as the defensive backfield coach....then became our DC in 1995...left again....and then came back as our DC in 2004.