PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Steelers 53 Man Roster Predictions

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 12:10 AM
Just something to keep myself amused throughout camp. Like I've done in the past, my predictions for the 53 man roster and practice squad. It'll be updated the further we get into camp. Can't wait to evaluate some preseason games!

QB (3): Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch

RB (5): Rashard Mendenhall, Issac Redman, Chris Rainey, Baron Batch, Jonathan Dwyer

FB (1): Will Johnson

WR (5): Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, Derrick Williams

TE (3): Heath Miller, Leonard Pope, David Paulson

OT (3): Max Starks, Mike Adams, Marcus Gilbert

OG (4): Willie Colon, Trai Essex, Doug Legursky, Ramon Foster

C (1): Maurkice Pouncey

DE (4): Brett Keisel, Ziggy Hood, Cameron Heyward, Corbin Bryant

NT (3): Casey Hampton, Steve McClendon, Alameda Ta'amu

OLB (3): James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Chris Carter, Jason Worilds

ILB (5): Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Stevenson Sylvester, Brandon Johnson, Marshall McFadden

CB (4): Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown

FS (3): Ryan Clark, Robert Golden, Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith

SS (2): Troy Polamalu, Ryan Mundy

K (1): Shaun Suisham

P: (1) Drew Butler

LS (1): Greg Warren

Total: 53

Practice Squad

WR: Toney Clemons
DL: Jake Stoller
LB: Adrian Robinson
OG: John Malecki, Kelvin Beachum
QB: Jerrod Johnson
CB: Josh Victorian, Terrence Frederick

Reserved/Suspended
Wes Saunders

Injured Reserve
Mortty Ivy
David DeCastro
Sean Spence

-------------

Updated 8/11

Took David Johnson off after torn ACL.
Added Jonathan Dwyer to 53. Moved John Clay off of it and put on practice squad.
Added Walter McFadden.
Added Drew Butler to 53. Cut Jeremy Kapinos.
Added Adrian Robinson to practice squad. Cut Ryan Baker.

Updated 8/22

Added FB Will Johnson to 53.
Added Jamie McCoy, took off David Paulson.
Took Rashard Mendenhall and Casey Hampton off PUP and onto 53.
Removed Kelvin Beachum from 53.
Placed Jason Worilds on PUP List.
Took John Clay off practice squad.
Added David Paulson, Kelvin Beachum to practice squad.
Took Al Woods off practice squad, added Kade Weston.
Added Morty Ivy to 53. Cut Walter McFadden, placed on practice squad.

Updated 8/26

Cut Toney Clemons, put on PS.
Put DeCastro, Ivy on IR.
Added David Gilreath to the 53.
Cut Jamie McCoy after he was cut.
Added David Paulson to 53.
Took Walter McFadden, Kade Weston off PS. Added Josh Victorian and Mike Blanc.
Added Marquize Maze to PS.
Added Robert Golden (DCS or Golden could be cut after Week 1)
Took Blanc of PS, added Jake Stoller.

Updated 8/31

Took Jason Worilds off PUP, put on 53.
Cut David Gilreath, added Derrick Williams to 53.
Cut Al Woods.
Placed Sean Spence on IR.
Added Marshall McFadden to 53. Could just be temp until Sly comes back.
Cut Frederick from the 53, put on PS.
Cut Maze from PS.

Galax Steeler
07-26-2012, 05:06 AM
So are you thinking that Dwyer is going to be the odd man out? I thought he might have a chance to make it.

Animal Mother
07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Dude, I don't have time to read 53 roster predictions. Just make it one prediction.

7willBheaven
07-26-2012, 12:55 PM
First of all Chidi...you have 55 guys listed on the team...while your numbers inside ()'s add up...for the OLB's you have 3, but 4 listed and ILB you have 4 but 5 listed.

Now as far as my thoughts on your roster...

I see Dwyer being RB #4 not Clay.

I'm not so sure they keep 6 WRs...Maze could go to PS...as Rainey can play a 6th WR if needed...but if Maze wows then sure.

You're cutting Legursky? I know Essex can play C...but thats interesting...not so sure with that decision.

If Hampton is on the PUP at the beginning of the season...I see them only keeping 2 NTs possibly...but I could be wrong.

Brandon Johnson could make the team but right now I see him on the outside looking in...and W. McFadden...could but a cut also.

Will Allen...while I'd be fine with cutting him as I think Cro-Smith does just as good as him on ST...I have a hard time thinking they'd cut Allen...but in the end I think it'd for the better if they did. They could easily keep 5 S's and 5 CB's this year too.

Kapinos could be in for a little battle with Butler...but who knows. I think Butler has a better chance to beat Kapinos than the other K has to beat Suisham.

I read Al Woods cannot go in a PS at this point he is not eligible.

Psycho Ward 86
07-26-2012, 01:55 PM
no way does Clay make it over Dwyer. Clay is just not cut out for the NFL. he's just not tough and dynamic enough. He played last year exactly like he did in college. Who the heck is Kade Weston by the way

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 05:01 PM
First of all Chidi...you have 55 guys listed on the team...while your numbers inside ()'s add up...for the OLB's you have 3, but 4 listed and ILB you have 4 but 5 listed.

Now as far as my thoughts on your roster...

I see Dwyer being RB #4 not Clay.

I'm not so sure they keep 6 WRs...Maze could go to PS...as Rainey can play a 6th WR if needed...but if Maze wows then sure.

You're cutting Legursky? I know Essex can play C...but thats interesting...not so sure with that decision.

If Hampton is on the PUP at the beginning of the season...I see them only keeping 2 NTs possibly...but I could be wrong.

Brandon Johnson could make the team but right now I see him on the outside looking in...and W. McFadden...could but a cut also.

Will Allen...while I'd be fine with cutting him as I think Cro-Smith does just as good as him on ST...I have a hard time thinking they'd cut Allen...but in the end I think it'd for the better if they did. They could easily keep 5 S's and 5 CB's this year too.

Kapinos could be in for a little battle with Butler...but who knows. I think Butler has a better chance to beat Kapinos than the other K has to beat Suisham.

I read Al Woods cannot go in a PS at this point he is not eligible.

Well, I guess that's why I shouldn't type these things up at one in the morning. Took Maze and McFadden off.

Dwyer and Clay are pretty similar to me. Big backs with weight concerns without a special quality who are slightly overvalued by fans. I just went with Clay because his pass protection can't be any worse than Dwyer's. It's subject to change and a trube camp battle.

With all the talent added to the line, it's time to cut some of the fat. Legursky's ability to play three positions is not the unique quality that got him a job. That's become the norm on this line, especially now that Essex could play center. So it comes down to ability. And Legursky has already hit his ceiling and it isn't very pretty.

Weston would probably be an inactive but the depth is nice especially when you're dealing with on the whole, a young DL (Weston himself being young). Don't know if we'll carry 6 DL. He'd get moved to the PS when Hampton comes off.

Always great to have a veteran with a lot of experence on special teams. A Keyaron Fox or Clint Kriedwalt from the Cowher days.

Allen was practically non-existant last year and just muddled around on special teams. Mundy has been around long enough and is the backup and both safety spots. Time to get fresh legs on the roster. Smith has some experience on kick coverage, too.

Sure, Butler could challenge. But I imagine Kapinos is the guy right now and Butler will have to earn it. So if we see Butler start booming them in the preseason (offenses will sputter so he'll have chances), this could change. This roster is not set in stone by any means.

Hmm..didn't know that about Woods.

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 05:02 PM
no way does Clay make it over Dwyer. Clay is just not cut out for the NFL. he's just not tough and dynamic enough. He played last year exactly like he did in college. Who the heck is Kade Weston by the way

I wouldn't call Dwyer "dynamic" either. And at least Clay isn't coming off injury. Though Dwyer passed the run test so that's something.

Weston is a second year kid out of Georgia. Think he was with New England last year. Good amount of bulk and I liked him the limited tape I saw.

ALLD
07-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Dennis Dixon and Limas Sweed! Brett Favre too!!!

zulater
07-26-2012, 05:50 PM
No way Legurskey gets cut. And Foster is the next guy up if a guard goes down.

Essex is history, he will be an early cut.

zulater
07-26-2012, 05:51 PM

Agree.

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 06:06 PM
No way Legurskey gets cut. And Foster is the next guy up if a guard goes down.

Essex is history, he will be an early cut.

I haven't forgotten about our bet.

Essex can play anywhere on the line. On a Tomlin team, that usually only dresses 7 on gameday, that is huge.

zulater
07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
I haven't forgotten about our bet.

Essex can play anywhere on the line. On a Tomlin team, that usually only dresses 7 on gameday, that is huge.

Yeah he can play anywhere on the line. Just not very good. :chuckle:

With Starks, Legurskey, Foster, and Colon there's plenty of versatility along the line with guys that can actually play.

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah he can play anywhere on the line. Just not very good. :chuckle:

With Starks, Legurskey, Foster, and Colon there's plenty of versatility along the line with guys that can actually play.

Legursky isn't exactly Dirt Dawson either.

Essex is still unique because he plays all five. And has Sunday experience at them all.

Nadroj 20
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
I'm not sure that I can say Dwyer is above and beyond Clay so I agree that one can be a toss up.

zulater
07-26-2012, 06:34 PM
Legursky isn't exactly Dirt Dawson either.

Essex is still unique because he plays all five. And has Sunday experience at them all.

Career wise I think his most extensive "Sunday experience" is chilling on the inactive list. :heh:

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm not sure that I can say Dwyer is above and beyond Clay so I agree that one can be a toss up.

Don't know where that sentiment comes from either. Neither have proven much of anything. Both have one memorable run in their career.

Count Steeler
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Good work Chidi. I'm rooting for Kelvin Beachum as well. Would be nice if Clemons has a good game or 2 early and puts extra pressure on Wallace.

7willBheaven
07-26-2012, 07:27 PM
By the way Chidi...the real Chidi is interning apparently...

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/228566099040542720

And as a side note I'm on your side with Essex...I don't get all the hate on him...he hasn't been a superstar, but in most cases he has been dependable and played well MOST of the time...not great, but well.

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 07:40 PM
By the way Chidi...the real Chidi is interning apparently...

http://twitter.com/MarkKaboly_Trib/status/228566099040542720

And as a side note I'm on your side with Essex...I don't get all the hate on him...he hasn't been a superstar, but in most cases he has been dependable and played well MOST of the time...not great, but well.

I heard about that the other day...friend who attends SVC is working as in intern. From what he told me, Chidi is scouting. I know that the past couple years, he was back at his alma mater Cal working with student athletes on matters outside of the football field.

Essex isn't that good and I wouldn't trust him if he had to start for any length of time but again, versatility is so key anywhere. Especially along the offensive line (which, fingers crossed, is bound to suffer injuries again this year).

Chidi29
07-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Good work Chidi. I'm rooting for Kelvin Beachum as well. Would be nice if Clemons has a good game or 2 early and puts extra pressure on Wallace.

Beachum sounds like a really smart kid who picked up the playbook fast in the way Pouncey did. He'll get reps at guard and I think he could play LT. The report coming out was that he was too short, but he has 33 inch arms which is fine for the position. If anything, the "lack" of height just helps him in the leverage war.

Psycho Ward 86
07-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Im going to take Legursky over Essex as well. i cant even remember the last time Essex played center for us. Legursky has shown that he can fill the center spot competently, and he is definitely a better guard. 2009, Essex starting all year at right guard? Remember that? :lol: Seriously fellas, dont get me started lol. Legursky's lack of length shows up when he plays guard, a position that doesnt require length as much as OT, so im sure Essex has the definite edge there, but 2/3 is still an advantage to me. If our O-line gets banged up to shreds again, and for some reason we need a tackle behind Starks, Adams, and Gilbert...I say Foster would suffice. Essex is just too damn soft no matter where he plays. We have plenty of guards either way, and i think 4 tackles/flex tackles is enough (starks, adams, gilbert, foster). Hell if we need more depth behind that because of injuries, Colon can always swing back out. He's been unappreciated out there at right tackle, more than satisfactory, with or without the false start penalties everyone jokes about.

As for Dwyer vs. Clay. Totally agree that neither are very dynamic, but Clay is clearly inferior to Dwyer in terms of agility, speed, and yards after contact. And of the two, only Dwyer can be crowned a one hit wonder if he fails here on out. Clay isnt even good enough to hold that title. A 10 yard TD run against the last ranked run defense in the league? not what i would call a memorable run. Maybe for Clay..

Chidi29
07-27-2012, 12:03 AM
Im going to take Legursky over Essex as well. i cant even remember the last time Essex played center for us. Legursky has shown that he can fill the center spot competently, and he is definitely a better guard. 2009, Essex starting all year at right guard? Remember that? :lol: Seriously fellas, dont get me started lol. Legursky's lack of length shows up when he plays guard, a position that doesnt require length as much as OT, so im sure Essex has the definite edge there, but 2/3 is still an advantage to me. If our O-line gets banged up to shreds again, and for some reason we need a tackle behind Starks, Adams, and Gilbert...I say Foster would suffice. Essex is just too damn soft no matter where he plays. We have plenty of guards either way, and i think 4 tackles/flex tackles is enough (starks, adams, gilbert, foster). Hell if we need more depth behind that because of injuries, Colon can always swing back out. He's been unappreciated out there at right tackle, more than satisfactory, with or without the false start penalties everyone jokes about.

As for Dwyer vs. Clay. Totally agree that neither are very dynamic, but Clay is clearly inferior to Dwyer in terms of agility, speed, and yards after contact. And of the two, only Dwyer can be crowned a one hit wonder if he fails here on out. Clay isnt even good enough to hold that title. A 10 yard TD run against the last ranked run defense in the league? not what i would call a memorable run. Maybe for Clay..

Essex has one start. Last year vs Jacksonville. Got a lot of praise from Tomlin for it, I'm surprised you don't remember it. And I'm sure he's gotten a lot of practice reps there last year and will continue this season.

Neither Essex nor Legursky are starting caliber. Maybe you think otherwise about Doug but to me, he's just a backup. So what becomes a deciding factor? Versatility. We have a guy that fits Tomlin's gameday mindset perfectly. Dress 7 lineman. Those two backups obviously have to be versatile. So doesn't it make sense to hang onto a guy that can be "plug 'n play" anywhere? So you have Essex who can do something no other lineman on the team can. Most of the other backups can play two or three positions. Foster can play both guard spots and right tackle in a pinch (He's gotten a few snaps there in game and did it at Tennessee. Even played LT there and got practice reps at C). Beachum will learn guard and have LT and guard under his belt (possibly center too). If Starks goes to the bench, he could play both tackle spots.

So then it comes down to talent. And I love Doug's lunch-pail attitude that makes him a true lineman. He's earned everything he's gotten. Nothing was given to him as a UDFA who doesn't have your typical lineman mold. But his run blocking is just average and his pass protection is the worst on the team. The bar on the offensive line has been raised both in posiion flexibilty (required across the board) and talent. He can't last forever.

I don't think we can make much of a determination about what Dwyer and Clay can bring to the table. Sample size just too small. Better man in camp wins, simple as that.

LLT
07-27-2012, 02:07 AM
QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch

RB: Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch, Chris Rainey (John Clay on practice squad/ Mendenhall on PUP)

FB: David Johnson

TE: Heath Miller, Leonard Pope, David Paulson....(Suspended: Weslye Saunders)

WR: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, Toney Clemons

OT: Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Trai Essex, Max Starks (Essex...OT/OG....Chris Scott also has a chance to make the roster)

OG: Willie Colon, David DeCastro, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky....(Outside chance that Kelvin Beachum makes the final roster, but I have him on the practice squad as of now.)

OC: Maurkice Pouncey

DE: Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Cameron Heyward, Corbin Bryant

DT: Steve McLendon, Alameda Ta’amu, Kade Weston…..(Hampton starting season on PUP….Al Woods or Kade Weston on the roster until he returns)

OLB: James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Chris Carter

ILB: Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Stevenson Sylvester, Sean Spence, Brandon Johnson

CB: Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown, Terrence Frederick

Safety: Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy, Da’Mon Cromartie-Smith....(Will Allen or Myron Rolle may be on the roster for the first game since Clark won’t play in Denver)

Kicker: Shaun Suisham

Punter: Drew Butler

LS: Greg Warren

PS:
LB: Morty Ivy,
RB: John Clay
OG: Kelvin Beachum
OG: John Malecki
CB: Terry Carter
TE: Jamie McCoy (David Paulson gets this slot when Saunders comes back from suspension)
S: Myron Rolle

Chidi29
08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
Slight updates to the roster after one week of play.

Chidi29
08-23-2012, 08:34 PM
Updated.

zulater
08-24-2012, 12:45 AM
You still clinging to the fantasy that Essex will make it and Legursky wont? :lol:

I hear that Legurskey might be used as a fullback in goal line situations once the season starts.

Chidi29
08-24-2012, 12:56 AM
You still clinging to the fantasy that Essex will make it and Legursky wont? :lol:

I hear that Legurskey might be used as a fullback in goal line situations once the season starts.

I'm trying but Kelvin Beachum didn't make it easy on me. :chuckle:

steelreserve
08-24-2012, 02:40 AM
I don't think there's any way Legursky is cut. They're not going to carry only 8 linemen; that's injury suicide considering how often those guys are beat up. Two guys end up with stupid little injuries like sprained ankles or groin pulls at the same time, and you're screwed. And you just cut a player who was better than any of the backups who are still available.

Far more likely one of those marginal linebackers ends up on the practice squad or cut. There are a lot of them who haven't seen any meaningful action, and I doubt Worilds is going to miss the entire first 6 weeks of the season either for that matter. I'd also say carrying 3 guys who can ONLY play NT would be a rarity unless we also expect McClendon could serve as the fourth-string DE in a pinch, which would be bad news for Bryant.

Or, maybe we only carry 4 RBs and there's a battle between Batch and Dwyer. But I bet that roster spot comes out of something other than OL.

86WARD
08-24-2012, 04:57 AM
Intend to agree and with how "injury prone" Pouncey has been, Legurskybis a solid back up center. He's a guy that has talent to back up in multiple positions. He should be on the roster.

Chidi29
08-24-2012, 09:41 AM
I don't think there's any way Legursky is cut. They're not going to carry only 8 linemen; that's injury suicide considering how often those guys are beat up. Two guys end up with stupid little injuries like sprained ankles or groin pulls at the same time, and you're screwed. And you just cut a player who was better than any of the backups who are still available.

Far more likely one of those marginal linebackers ends up on the practice squad or cut. There are a lot of them who haven't seen any meaningful action, and I doubt Worilds is going to miss the entire first 6 weeks of the season either for that matter. I'd also say carrying 3 guys who can ONLY play NT would be a rarity unless we also expect McClendon could serve as the fourth-string DE in a pinch, which would be bad news for Bryant.

Or, maybe we only carry 4 RBs and there's a battle between Batch and Dwyer. But I bet that roster spot comes out of something other than OL.

I did stick with nine for awhile because that's what they carried last year but we only carry seven active on gameday. So even if guys get hurt during the game, we're not going to have four backup lineman. And I have two on the PS so if we need to call someone up during the week, we can.

Those linebackers offer a lot of special teams value, huge when you're looking for players to round out your roster. I didn't think Worilds was going to miss this much time so nothing would surprise me at this point. Haven't heard a peep about him being close to coming back. And with the injury to Sly and not wanting to move Timmons back to OLB, we need a little more depth there.

So which NT aren't you carrying? You're cutting Ta'amu? Not a chance.

Chidi29
08-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Intend to agree and with how "injury prone" Pouncey has been, Legurskybis a solid back up center. He's a guy that has talent to back up in multiple positions. He should be on the roster.

And so does Essex. Essex can play all five. Legursky can just play three. Essex wins.

86WARD
08-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Legursky plays three well. Essex plays 5 subpar. Lol...

Chidi29
08-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Legursky plays three well. Essex plays 5 subpar. Lol...

That's where we'll have to disagree. I've never seen a lineman on the ground more often than Legursky. He's terrible.

oneforthetoe
08-24-2012, 01:52 PM
That's where we'll have to disagree. I've never seen a lineman on the ground more often than Legursky. He's terrible.

Legursky may have reached his full potential already, but he is a better center that Essex. I'd be a bit frightened not to have a true back-up center given Pouncy's history with injury. I have always advocated bringing Trai back, because of his versatility. However, he looked horrible against the Colts at RT. Hopefully, we will see better play from him over the next two games. I'd like to see him play some more center.

Chidi29
08-24-2012, 02:08 PM
Legursky may have reached his full potential already, but he is a better center that Essex. I'd be a bit frightened not to have a true back-up center given Pouncy's history with injury. I have always advocated bringing Trai back, because of his versatility. However, he looked horrible against the Colts at RT. Hopefully, we will see better play from him over the next two games. I'd like to see him play some more center.

Essex did a great job against Jacksonville last year, earning a lot of praise from Tomlin. I'm not saying Essex is good, he isn't, but the versatility gives him the edge.

I wonder if Malecki will ever make the roster.

86WARD
08-24-2012, 02:10 PM

I'll agree he is terrible as a starter but he's alright as a fill in and a back up IMO. Makes little sense to say that, but he seems to play better with less "pressure" of having to start.

Ideally, I'd live to see someone step up and knock them both off the roster...

86WARD
08-24-2012, 02:11 PM
Lee has looked decent from what I've seen.

steelreserve
08-24-2012, 03:42 PM
I did stick with nine for awhile because that's what they carried last year but we only carry seven active on gameday. So even if guys get hurt during the game, we're not going to have four backup lineman. And I have two on the PS so if we need to call someone up during the week, we can.

Those linebackers offer a lot of special teams value, huge when you're looking for players to round out your roster. I didn't think Worilds was going to miss this much time so nothing would surprise me at this point. Haven't heard a peep about him being close to coming back. And with the injury to Sly and not wanting to move Timmons back to OLB, we need a little more depth there.

So which NT aren't you carrying? You're cutting Ta'amu? Not a chance.

No, I wouldn't be cutting any of the three NTs. I'd be cutting Corbin Bryant (or sending him to the PS if allowed) and having McLendon be the emergency 4th DE. Although that's not too appealing; I'd probably rather drop the fifth RB or the last guy on the LB depth chart.

I know we're not going to keep 9 OLs on the roster so that we can keep more OLs on the gameday active list. The reason you do that is so that WHEN, not if, two of your linemen get banged up, the ninth guy that you kept is better than whatever dingbat you'd get off the practice squad or the last-minute FA wire, and he becomes one of your two bench guys on gameday. I think that definitely applies to Legursky. I also would not be that comfortable with the idea of Essex as the main backup center. Last year it seemed like a whoops-oh-shit-I guess-I-can-try-to-play-center kind of situation that we wouldn't want to repeat unless we had to.

oneforthetoe
08-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I'll agree he is terrible as a starter but he's alright as a fill in and a back up IMO. Makes little sense to say that, but he seems to play better with less "pressure" of having to start.

Ideally, I'd live to see someone step up and knock them both off the roster...

Maybe they should give Foster some snaps at center. IMO, he is definitely the third best guard on the team - for what that is worth.

Buckinnuts
08-24-2012, 04:17 PM
I like the other kicker instead of Suishim

Chidi29
08-24-2012, 06:18 PM
No, I wouldn't be cutting any of the three NTs. I'd be cutting Corbin Bryant (or sending him to the PS if allowed) and having McLendon be the emergency 4th DE. Although that's not too appealing; I'd probably rather drop the fifth RB or the last guy on the LB depth chart.

I know we're not going to keep 9 OLs on the roster so that we can keep more OLs on the gameday active list. The reason you do that is so that WHEN, not if, two of your linemen get banged up, the ninth guy that you kept is better than whatever dingbat you'd get off the practice squad or the last-minute FA wire, and he becomes one of your two bench guys on gameday. I think that definitely applies to Legursky. I also would not be that comfortable with the idea of Essex as the main backup center. Last year it seemed like a whoops-oh-shit-I guess-I-can-try-to-play-center kind of situation that we wouldn't want to repeat unless we had to.

I honestly don't see much of a difference between Legursky and a guy like Malecki. Both don't fit the cookie cutter mold and have pretty limited upside. But at least with Malecki, there's a chance he can grow a little more (Legursky has hit his ceiling) and you can put him on the practice squad and have him up when you need him.

Essex has gotten plenty of practice time at center and played well in his one start. On a talent level, him and Doug are pretty much the same. Give me the guy that is more versatile because that is very important to Tomlin. Which is why nearly all of our backup lineman can play two or three spots. Foster, Legursky, Essex, Beachum, Starks/Adams if need be, they all can. So it comes down to two deciding factors.

1. Who is more versatile? Essex wins.
2. Who is more talented? Pretty much a wash. But then you have guys like Foster and Adams that are definitely more talented than Legursky. His versatility is no longer unique and he becomes expendable.

steelreserve
08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Fair enough. I guess we just disagree about how good Legursky is. I think he's adequate; you don't think much of him.

Maybe I'm just suffering from a bit of Jeff Reed syndrome - having seen some of the clowns that we've had on the roster in the recent past, I'd be reluctant to take my chances with some unknown new guy when I think the guy we've got is at least OK. Or maybe not. Either way, we'll see in a couple weeks.

Count Steeler
08-24-2012, 07:01 PM
Not for nothing, but Jeff Reed didn't exactly do much after leaving Pittsburgh. Good kickers are not a dime a dozen, so if he was still so good, why did no one else pick him up? He did have a good month or so with the niners, but nothing else.

It is just unfortunate that we were not able to pick up a better kicker than Sushi.

steelreserve
08-26-2012, 01:08 PM
This may be the last thing on anyone's mind right now, Chidi - but after what happened yesterday, you may be forced to admit we're keeping Legursky after all. :behindsofa:

Chidi29
08-26-2012, 06:41 PM
This may be the last thing on anyone's mind right now, Chidi - but after what happened yesterday, you may be forced to admit we're keeping Legursky after all. :behindsofa:

Yeah....

KeiselPower99
08-26-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm a Legursky homer but before DeCastro was hurt if it came down to Doug and Trai Essex Legursky was on this roster. Trai has not looked good this preseason. Plus the coaches have more faith in Doug replacing Pouncey or one of the guards than they do in Trai. You've drank too much haterade. There's a reason we play preseason games. To find the best 53.

LLT
08-27-2012, 12:59 AM
My Prediction:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch

RB: Rashard Mendenhall, Isaac Redman, Jonathan Dwyer, Baron Batch, Chris Rainey

FB/TE: Will Johnson

TE: Heath Miller, Leonard Pope, ....(Suspended: Weslye Saunders)

WR: Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Jerricho Cotchery, Derrick Williams

OT: Marcus Gilbert, Mike Adams, Max Starks , Chris Scott

OG: Willie Colon, Ramon Foster, Doug Legursky, Trai Essex

OC: Maurkice Pouncey

DE: Ziggy Hood, Brett Keisel, Cameron Heyward, Al Woods

DT: Steve McLendon, Alameda Ta’amu, Casey Hampton

OLB: James Harrison, LaMarr Woodley, Jason Worilds, Chris Carter,

ILB: Lawrence Timmons, Larry Foote, Stevenson Sylvester, Sean Spence, Brandon Johnson

CB: Ike Taylor, Keenan Lewis, Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown,

Safety: Troy Polamalu, Ryan Clark, Ryan Mundy, Robert Golden....

Kicker: Shaun Suisham

Punter: Drew Butler

LS: Greg Warren

PS:
WR: Toney Clemons
TE: David Paulson
OG: John Malecki
OG:Kelvin Beachum
DE: Corbin Bryant
LB: Adrian Robinson
CB: Josh Victorian

zulater
08-27-2012, 05:26 AM

There was never any question about it.

LLT
08-27-2012, 06:41 AM
There was never any question about it.

Agreed...Legs is a better player than Essex.

Chidi29
08-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Just a quick heads up Perry. Terry Carter was waived/injured a couple weeks ago.

Chidi29
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Agreed...Legs is a better player than Essex.

Marginally, if at all.

Chidi29
08-27-2012, 10:54 AM
My 53 is updated.

LLT
08-28-2012, 12:26 AM
Marginally, if at all.

Both are what they call "wave" players. They can "generally" fill in adequately when needed, but as starters there will always be the feeling that the position needs to be upgraded.

Legursky is a solid backup offensive lineman with the versatility to play center and guard. He has a superior work ethic... is strong, mobile, and understands leverage which helps him a great deal on angle blocks... but if a D-Lineman gets low on him he doesnt have the prototypical size or arm length to stop a legitimate bullrush. He also is prone to the injury bug.

Essex on the other hand, has very good size, but struggles to keep his weight down. He played all five positions on the line at various points in the 2011 season... though he wasn’t particuarly impressive at any of them. In fact, it was his terrible performance during the Houston game that caused the Steelers to resign Max Starks. He is best suited as an interior lineman, but he is sluggish and seems to get confused by defensive stunts.

That's as honest of a breakdown as I can give on both players

LLT
08-28-2012, 12:27 AM
Just a quick heads up Perry. Terry Carter was waived/injured a couple weeks ago.

Thanks....Forgot to update the PS.

Fixed.

Craic
08-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Both are what they call "wave" players. They can fill in adequately when needed, but as starters there will always be the feeling that the position needs to be upgraded.

Legursky is a solid backup offensive lineman with the versatility to play center and guard. He has a superior work ethic... is strong, mobile, and understands leverage which helps him a great deal on angle blocks... but if a D-Lineman gets low on him he doesnt have the prototypical size or arm length to stop a legitimate bullrush. He also is prone to the injury bug.

Essex on the other hand, has very good size, but struggles to keep his weight down. He played all five positions on the line at various points in the 2011 season... though he wasn’t particuarly impressive at any of them. In fact, it was his terrible performance during the Houston game that caused the Steelers to resign Max Starks. He is best suited as an interior lineman, but he is sluggish and seems to get confused by defensive stunts.

One thing I've never understood about Legursky, is that he is one of the strongest if not the strongest player on the team (yeah, even more so than our LB's, he benches and squats ungodly amounts of weight), so why does he not have the ability to get push on run plays?

I also wonder about your comment on him being bull-rushed. When did that happen? What I remember of him is that he pretty much stones anyone who is rushing, but has no ability to get up field push. Since I know you know what you're talking about, can you fill me in?

LLT
08-28-2012, 01:07 AM
One thing I've never understood about Legursky, is that he is one of the strongest if not the strongest player on the team (yeah, even more so than our LB's, he benches and squats ungodly amounts of weight), so why does he not have the ability to get push on run plays?

I also wonder about your comment on him being bull-rushed. When did that happen? What I remember of him is that he pretty much stones anyone who is rushing, but has no ability to get up field push. Since I know you know what you're talking about, can you fill me in?

Though mobile and above average on angle blocks at the line...Legursky tends to "lunge" when he has to get to the second level. He has a great anchor, but is prone to get "tall" on run plays and let the D-player gets under his pads, which negates his strength and his leverage. The Packers effectively used that weakness against him by putting B.J. Raji in the "A" gap and then twisting or stunting him to engage Legursky after he raised out of his stance.

In a nutshell...If Legursky doesnt have a player to engage initially...he gets too tall in his stance and leans into the first player he engages.

Chidi29
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Final predictions right before cuts are announced.

7willBheaven
08-31-2012, 01:35 PM
Final predictions right before cuts are announced.

By totaling your numbers in ()'s you have 54....and by the DE's and OLB's....you have 5 but listed 4 and 3 but listed 4. Even with switching these you still have 54 (as I counted names too). SMH @ Chidi...haha

...why do you think Bryant makes it over Woods? Do you not think they'd just keep 4 WRs and put 1 on the PS incase of injury? And use TEs/RBs out wide if they go 5 wide? And keeping only 8 OL?

Chidi29
08-31-2012, 02:03 PM
By totaling your numbers in ()'s you have 54....and by the DE's and OLB's....you have 5 but listed 4 and 3 but listed 4. Even with switching these you still have 54 (as I counted names too). SMH @ Chidi...haha

...why do you think Bryant makes it over Woods? Do you not think they'd just keep 4 WRs and put 1 on the PS incase of injury? And use TEs/RBs out wide if they go 5 wide? And keeping only 8 OL?

Ah! Mad at myself. I guess I made the mistake some other update before because the total number of players I kept on/off were the same before today's changes. I'll cut Frederick, put him on the PS, and probably kick off Stoller.

I think Bryant was starting last night with Keisel out of the lineup. He's done well with the time he's been given dating back to camp last year. Everyone got excited over Wood's one fluky INT and penned him into the 53.

Keeping four would be pretty low for them. Had six last year, I believe. Though I believe Rainey could pick up some snaps at WR. The same with Heath/maybe Saunders in 5 WR.

Yup, just nine OL. Again, dress just seven on gameday. Have two on the PS in case of emergencies (Beachum hasn't done anything close to warranting a spot on the 53) and DeCastro hopefully coming back at some point.

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Trai essex cut

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Steelers kept Charlie Batch

Jerrod Johnson released

Trai essex cut

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:30 PM
Kapinos waived injured

https://twitter.com/Steelersdepot

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Steelers keep only 4 WR

polamalubeast
08-31-2012, 03:36 PM
running back Djuan Harris, WR Tyler Beiler, WR Toney Clemons released

The Duke
08-31-2012, 03:39 PM
Essex is the only one that isn't going to make our PS. Think he's gone for good....

HollywoodSteel
08-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Essex is the only one that isn't going to make our PS. Think he's gone for good....

But don't you think he's the kind of guy that won't be picked up by anyone else, so he'll always be there if one of our guys go down and we give him a call?

The Duke
08-31-2012, 03:48 PM
But don't you think he's the kind of guy that won't be picked up by anyone else, so he'll always be there if one of our guys go down and we give him a call?

probably. And when DeCastro goes on IR maybe that's who they pick up....

how many linemen on the roster right now?

Chidi29
08-31-2012, 03:51 PM
No....lost the bet. Props zu.

The Duke
08-31-2012, 04:00 PM
seems like 10 with DeCastro

really doubt we sign him back. So what will it be, a receiver? A corner? We have nine DBs but only 4 corners, and I doubt Mundy or Golden can play CB....

EDIT: Nope, counted wrong. We have 9 with DeCastro. And we usually keep 9 so Essex could very possibly be back

I'm just surprised Beachum made it

Chidi29
08-31-2012, 04:05 PM
seems like 10 with DeCastro

really doubt we sign him back. So what will it be, a receiver? A corner? We have nine DBs but only 4 corners, and I doubt Mundy or Golden can play CB....

One will likely be released after the Denver game since Clark can't play.

Count Steeler
08-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Guess they are hoping Beachum's character will get him to the point they need him to be on the line. That is a surprise, pleasant, but it is a surprise after his early pre season games.

7willBheaven
08-31-2012, 04:45 PM
Steelers keep only 4 WR

I knew it! Man I almost nailed the roster only got 3-4 wrong!

oneforthetoe
08-31-2012, 05:09 PM
I knew it! Man I almost nailed the roster only got 3-4 wrong!

That actually makes sense with Rainey likely to get time a receiver. Also, I heard our new o'coordinator is going to run 80% of the time on third down and 5 or more - and Ben isn't happy about it. At least that's what I heard.

:cookie:

86WARD
08-31-2012, 05:12 PM
Steelers keep only 4 WR

Called that one. Rainey is number "5."

Wonder if BBatch hangs around once Mendenhall is back in the fold...happy he made the team, but still think he needs A LOT of work to become an NFL back...

Definitely thought Lefursky would make it over ESsex.

Shoes
08-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Very sorry to see Jerrod Johnson go. If Ben goes down , Chuck and Lefty will be lucky if they make five games between them before an injury.

zulater
08-31-2012, 08:06 PM
No....lost the bet. Props zu.

Thank you, thank you very much! :humble:

First thing I thought of today when I heard Trai had been released. :chuckle:

86WARD
09-01-2012, 07:15 AM
Very sorry to see Jerrod Johnson go. If Ben goes down , Chuck and Lefty will be lucky if they make five games between them before an injury.

I tend to agree. Batch has an Awesome
Football Mind, but he lacks the talent on the field. There are quite a few serviceable back ups out there with the recent releases that would be better options than Batch and Johnson would be one IMO. I'd actually rather have Hoyer than Leftwich or Batch at this point.

HollywoodSteel
09-01-2012, 03:46 PM
I tend to agree. Batch has an Awesome
Football Mind, but he lacks the talent on the field. There are quite a few serviceable back ups out there with the recent releases that would be better options than Batch and Johnson would be one IMO. I'd actually rather have Hoyer than Leftwich or Batch at this point.

I don't think we'll lose Johnson. He'll be on our practice squad if we need him.

86WARD
09-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Nope...

Eight players cut previously by the Steelers joined their practice squad Saturday, including receivers David Gilreath and Toney Clemons.

Also agreeing to terms were offensive linemen John Malecki of Pitt and Ryan Lee, tight end Jamie McCoy, linebacker Marshall McFadden and safeties Damon Cromartie-Smith and Josh Victorian.

Gilreath and Clemons were brought back after the Steelers kept only four receivers on their 53-man roster that was announced Friday — Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. Gilreath had five catches for 78 yards and Clemons, a seventh-round pick from Colorado and Valley High, had one catch for 14 yards.

Not on the practice squad is Jerrod Johnson, the first-year quarterback from Texas A&M who was 14 of 21 for 236 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions during the preseason.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2523447-85/practice-steelers-squad-clemons-gilreath-yards-preseason-receivers-alan-robinson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29)

The Duke
09-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Only other chance I think Johnson has of sticking is if the player that replaces DeCastro is not Essex but someone on the PS, then Johnson gets that PS spot

Psycho Ward 86
09-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Nope...

Eight players cut previously by the Steelers joined their practice squad Saturday, including receivers David Gilreath and Toney Clemons.

Also agreeing to terms were offensive linemen John Malecki of Pitt and Ryan Lee, tight end Jamie McCoy, linebacker Marshall McFadden and safeties Damon Cromartie-Smith and Josh Victorian.

Gilreath and Clemons were brought back after the Steelers kept only four receivers on their 53-man roster that was announced Friday — Mike Wallace, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. Gilreath had five catches for 78 yards and Clemons, a seventh-round pick from Colorado and Valley High, had one catch for 14 yards.

Not on the practice squad is Jerrod Johnson, the first-year quarterback from Texas A&M who was 14 of 21 for 236 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions during the preseason.

Source: Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/2523447-85/practice-steelers-squad-clemons-gilreath-yards-preseason-receivers-alan-robinson?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tribunereviewsteelers+%28Stee lers+Stories%29)

omfg seriously? Not even practice squad?

Steeldude
09-01-2012, 11:51 PM
omfg seriously? Not even practice squad?

IMO, QBs like Johnson are easy to find. No reason to waste a PS squad on someone who offers so little, if anything at all.